Brian Billick calls pats "pedestrian"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: Brian Billick calls pats

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I consider Cassel league average. He has some holes in his game that make him flawed, mostly, he can't get the ball out in time. I think Brady took something like 15 sacks behind NE's line the year before he took something over 40. He still holds it too long in KC. 

He can  be very effective when he is given tons of time. But he is really terrible under pressure. So that makes him average.

Against this schedule (not the cupcake one from 2008) NE would be 8-8-ish, with Cassel, IMO. 

I can think of 8 or more QBs I would prefer Cassel too. 

I think Brady gets this team about 5 wins per season above the average QB. 

[/QUOTE]

Yeah. Even against the 2008 schedule Cassel managed nearly one less TD per game that season than Brady has since 2009. Even if the Cassel quality was above average, the production was "pedestrian" compared to Brady's "phenomenal" (1.31 to 2.15)

Of course some forget that Cassel was the recipient of a huge amount of yac that year as well.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah., My point is that I think Cassel could make it to the playoffs with a team that is loaded like the Giants, Niners, Texans. All those teams have the stuff that he could put up big numbers with. 

I guess, in a way, I'm siding a bit with Billick. 

While I wouldn't call the team pedestrian, Brady is the straw that stirs the drink here. IMO, of course. I don't think this team is a playoff team with Cassel. Too many wins have required Brady being perfect and doing so under pressure, which Cassel is clearly not good at. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It depends on what the guy is actually talking about...is he talking about the offense? Is he talking about the defense? Or is he talking about the team overrall?

If he is talking about the offense then he is a moron. Welker, Gronk, and Hernandez are pretty special players. Ridley is not chopped liver and Woodhead and Vareen are pretty good third down backs. Our offensive line has a left tackle that may have as much talent as anyone in football.

If he is factoring in the defense, then I do think they are average enough to perhaps bring the whole team down to a lower level, however I wouldn't call it a pedestrian level. If he is just talking about the talent of the defense alone, then I do think he and others that are not from the area would call it pedestrian. 

Billick for the most part has been pretty pro Patriots from what I've seen unless we are playing the Ravens. The same can be said for when Aikman bashed our defense last year calling them the worst he's seen make the playoffs (Aikman has always been fair). I would NOT call this team pedestrian, but I would certainly call our defense that...or even worse. 

[/QUOTE]

Why do you and some others keep calling Vereen a "third down" back? Seems to me being able to catch the ball does not lessen your other qualities. Ever see Vereen on the field on first or second down? If you have not you ought to watch the games.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Interesting. Offensively they clearly have a solid and deep O line. Maybe not the most dominating but pretty solid. THey run and pass block. And they can and have played without 40% of the starters and been very successful. ANd even without their #1 TE in a game.

THey have not only the best TEs in the league they have the best TE unit in the history of the NFL (I have been watching for 50+ years).

THey have a solid WR in Lloyd and a great slot receiver in Welker and an emerging WR in Edelman.

THey have a decently big all purpose back in Ridley. A very dangerous back who reminds me of Lenny Moore - but perhaps runs inside better than Moore - in Vereen. A very good third down or change of pace back in Woodhead. A solid, powerful all purpose RB in Bolden. THat is quite a group that gives real quality, a great deal of flexibility and talents, and great depth. Perhaps more depth here than on any other team.

All this does not sound like pedestrian. And I wonder how it is that the Patriots have about 80 more points than the next highest scoring team and over a hundred poits more than all but something like three teams. Brady is not clearly better in the minds of current and past coaches and players than Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees... ANd even if he was he is not head and shoulders above them. So how is it this O scores so many more points? It is not because Brady throws a better than average long ball either. In fact of the above group he clearly is the least accurate going beyond 25 yards. So he needs the support he gets too.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Thats the reason Billick, an SB winning coach, is in the booth and not on the sidelines coaching an NFL team.....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Interesting. Offensively they clearly have a solid and deep O line. Maybe not the most dominating but pretty solid. THey run and pass block. And they can and have played without 40% of the starters and been very successful. ANd even without their #1 TE in a game.

THey have not only the best TEs in the league they have the best TE unit in the history of the NFL (I have been watching for 50+ years).

THey have a solid WR in Lloyd and a great slot receiver in Welker and an emerging WR in Edelman.

THey have a decently big all purpose back in Ridley. A very dangerous back who reminds me of Lenny Moore - but perhaps runs inside better than Moore - in Vereen. A very good third down or change of pace back in Woodhead. A solid, powerful all purpose RB in Bolden. THat is quite a group that gives real quality, a great deal of flexibility and talents, and great depth. Perhaps more depth here than on any other team.

All this does not sound like pedestrian. And I wonder how it is that the Patriots have about 80 more points than the next highest scoring team and over a hundred poits more than all but something like three teams. Brady is not clearly better in the minds of current and past coaches and players than Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees... ANd even if he was he is not head and shoulders above them. So how is it this O scores so many more points? It is not because Brady throws a better than average long ball either. In fact of the above group he clearly is the least accurate going beyond 25 yards. So he needs the support he gets too.

[/QUOTE]

Good post and since you're comparing backs, am I the only one who thinks vereen looks like Thurman Thomas?  the catch and run was vintage in stride effortless talent...  This guy has huge upside...

Did you see his interview after?  Very impressive... smart, speaks well, football IQ... Good stuff. Not pedestrian.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to ipotnyc's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to sam0377's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

It depends on what the guy is actually talking about...is he talking about the offense? Is he talking about the defense? Or is he talking about the team overrall?

If he is talking about the offense then he is a moron. Welker, Gronk, and Hernandez are pretty special players. Ridley is not chopped liver and Woodhead and Vareen are pretty good third down backs. Our offensive line has a left tackle that may have as much talent as anyone in football.

If he is factoring in the defense, then I do think they are average enough to perhaps bring the whole team down to a lower level, however I wouldn't call it a pedestrian level. If he is just talking about the talent of the defense alone, then I do think he and others that are not from the area would call it pedestrian. 

Billick for the most part has been pretty pro Patriots from what I've seen unless we are playing the Ravens. The same can be said for when Aikman bashed our defense last year calling them the worst he's seen make the playoffs (Aikman has always been fair). I would NOT call this team pedestrian, but I would certainly call our defense that...or even worse. 

[/QUOTE]

By "pedestrian" I think he means without Brady they are an 8-8 team. That's not crazy talk. Ridley is an improvement over Benny but still is averaging only .4 yards over the norm. Good, but hardly *wow* material. Gronk and Wes are stars, but Billick might be thinking just how starry they would be with a Sanchez throwing to them for instance. And I doubt he is aware of Solder's potential. Of course, like everybody else except some kool-aide drinkers here, he sees the D as below average to just plain bad.

Without Brady he simply sees them having the same talent a bunch of teams have. He's not far off the mark if off the mark at all.

[/QUOTE]

I do see it as a bias. See how Green bay faired against giants yesterday. How are they ranked so high and not pedestrian. We went toe to toe with this defence with giants who just spanked GB. Looking at last nights game SB defence was real work of whatever you want to call it on BBs part. 

[/QUOTE]

Without Rodgers the Pack is pretty pedestrian as well.

[/QUOTE]

And the Saints are probably bad without Brees. The same for a lot of teams out there. 

I can think of a few like Chicago, San Fran, the Giants, the Texans to a degree, where I don't think a QB change would radically alter the outcome. But all those teams are just stocked with talent on offense and defense (especially) in a way that NE and GB and a few others are not. 

Moral of the story is the oldest lesson in football:

Winning is all about a QB/Oline, and more importantly a Defense. Everything else, IMO, is a hood ornament. 

[/QUOTE]

Sensible and excellent point.  I'd even add the Falcons, Steelers, and Broncos to the list of current teams that would drop a few notches without their QBs.

At the end of the day, you just need the QB/Oline and the D to play their best in the SB and you win it all.  I would add a time chewing RB to the mix, too.  Pats have that in Ridley.

The NYG are a reverse conundrum.  Surround a pedestrian QB with some big playmakers and a D, and you win.

[/QUOTE]

Not to open that debate, but too many teams win without a "big" running back. The Steelers and Packers and Saints all won superbowls recently with less than 20 carries from their backs. It certainly helps, but it's not something that "most" teams use to win the Superbowl in the modern NFL.

But the  look at what all the winning (and losing) teams have in common.

Ben Roth, Brady, Manning, Rogers, Brees, Warner (when he was good). And most of them have a top tier defense, or one that was top tier by the end of the season. 

Basically, it is ONE way to win. But you are better off getting yourself a "D" and a "QB" because most winning teams carry those in common.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

[QUOTE]

Brady is not clearly better in the minds of current and past coaches and players than Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees... ANd even if he was he is not head and shoulders above them. So how is it this O scores so many more points? It is not because Brady throws a better than average long ball either. In fact of the above group he clearly is the least accurate going beyond 25 yards. So he needs the support he gets too.

[/QUOTE]

TROLL

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I consider Cassel league average. He has some holes in his game that make him flawed, mostly, he can't get the ball out in time. I think Brady took something like 15 sacks behind NE's line the year before he took something over 40. He still holds it too long in KC. 

He can  be very effective when he is given tons of time. But he is really terrible under pressure. So that makes him average.

Against this schedule (not the cupcake one from 2008) NE would be 8-8-ish, with Cassel, IMO. 

I can think of 8 or more QBs I would prefer Cassel too. 

I think Brady gets this team about 5 wins per season above the average QB. 

[/QUOTE]

Yeah. Even against the 2008 schedule Cassel managed nearly one less TD per game that season than Brady has since 2009. Even if the Cassel quality was above average, the production was "pedestrian" compared to Brady's "phenomenal" (1.31 to 2.15)

Of course some forget that Cassel was the recipient of a huge amount of yac that year as well.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah., My point is that I think Cassel could make it to the playoffs with a team that is loaded like the Giants, Niners, Texans. All those teams have the stuff that he could put up big numbers with. 

I guess, in a way, I'm siding a bit with Billick. 

While I wouldn't call the team pedestrian, Brady is the straw that stirs the drink here. IMO, of course. I don't think this team is a playoff team with Cassel. Too many wins have required Brady being perfect and doing so under pressure, which Cassel is clearly not good at. 

[/QUOTE]

No way Billidk knows this team like you or I. So from an outsider's perspective he is right on the money. He isn't speaking based on "potential" as we fans are wont to do.

So I think we are in agreement. Billick is on the money in a "big Picture" right now sense.

But the pedestrian nature of the rest of the team might just upgrade especially if this defense gets its act together. Talib may be the missing piece to get us there.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

And since we're now on page 3 of posts , many of which quasi-agree with billick... Lets take this moment to sum up the thust of their position:

Tom Brady is so good that everyone around him instantly looks like dyslexic bastid stepchildren.

Tom Brady is so good that we believe that if every other player was dull and commonplace , he could still lead the NFL in offense, points, yards.

Tom Brady is so good that running backs magically gain yards and receivers have balls land in their laps.

I call this Brady on the brain, and people like babe love to say "learn the game"....  Lol.

fact is... It takes a great supporting cast to do what patriots offense is doing.  And it takes great coaching to prepare these players to succeed at this level. 

This team is coming together right now but still flying under the radar... Which is good... But I still like ripping the ignorant pundits.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

And I wonder how it is that the Patriots have about 80 more points than the next highest scoring team and over a hundred poits more than all but something like three teams. Brady is not clearly better in the minds of current and past coaches and players than Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees... ANd even if he was he is not head and shoulders above them. So how is it this O scores so many more points? It is not because Brady throws a better than average long ball either. In fact of the above group he clearly is the least accurate going beyond 25 yards. So he needs the support he gets too.

[/QUOTE]

Your answer; Brady takes better care of the ball than all but Rodgers (and even better than him this year). Brady throws the ball more than Rodgers.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Tom Brady is so good that we believe that if every other player was dull and commonplace , he could still lead the NFL in offense, points, yards.

[/QUOTE]

What you're missing is that every team with a nearly .500 record has some star players. Billick is saying our team is the same. It has some star players. But it is Brady that makes the big difference.

You seem to think "pedestrian" means terrible. It simply means "the norm" - average - typical.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

fact is... It takes a great supporting cast to do what patriots offense is doing.  And it takes great coaching to prepare these players to succeed at this level. 

[/QUOTE]

Mark my words. You WILL learn, soon enough.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Self loathing, hatred towards our own players on BDC, I never would have thunk it...

The Pat's are one of the best rushing teams in the NFL, I haven't seen Brady out there run blocking. They lead the league in turnovers, I don't remember Brady out there on defense lowering his helmet into a runner and making him cough up the ball.  

Are Hernandez, Gronk, Wilfork, Mayo, Welker, and the other 52 players on our roster average..?  

Didn't think so.  Billick gets paid to talk and often they run out of things to say, he wishes he had the overwhelming success that BB does but instead he got real lucky to have Ozzie Newsome as a GM which allowed Billick to have his one hit wonder of a season... pedestrian... that about sums up his career.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What you're missing is that every team with a nearly .500 record has some star players. Billick is saying our team is the same. It has some star players. But it is Brady that makes the big difference.

You seem to think "pedestrian" means terrible. It simply means "the norm" - average - typical.

[/QUOTE]

Learn the language.  Look up the word.  It does not mean average, it means pedestrian...  Dull, without imagination, commonplace.  Its an insult to every player on the team. 

Billick is saying any jacka$$ can assemble 10 players with Brady and bang lead the league in offense.  It's beyond dumb.  It's ignorance of the game that he condescendingly pretends to know.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from emilycuba33. Show emilycuba33's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't consider 32 takeaways pedestrian!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

Billick needs to stay on his meds.  He is an angry old coach that likes to shoot off his mouth.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

[QUOTE]

And since we're now on page 3 of posts , many of which quasi-agree with billick... Lets take this moment to sum up the thust of their position:

Tom Brady is so good that everyone around him instantly looks like dyslexic bastid stepchildren.

Tom Brady is so good that running backs magically gain yards and receivers have balls land in their laps.

I call this Brady on the brain, and people like babe love to say "learn the game"....  Lol.

This team is coming together right now but still flying under the radar... Which is good... But I still like ripping the ignorant pundits.

[/QUOTE]

I can't speak for others but i do not believe that the Pats have a weak supporting cast around Brady. I believe his current offensive cast when healthy is probably the best he has ever had. The only weakness in comparison may be on the offensive line which is pretty dinged up but is still doing a fine job. There is no game changing threat like Moss on this squad but it's deeper everywhere else. I love this Pats offense but I do not believe Jags like Cassel could ever be as sucessful as Brady with this offense and defense, which can still struggle mightily at times. Rodgers would be fine and so would Brees and Peyton Manning. They have had powerful offenses year after year but the Pats have traditionally won more than them so i put Brady above them but in 4 years Rodgers or Luck will no doubt be better if they can stay healthy.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

????????

How is that a big slight? The Pats offense has talent as key positions, sure. Premium talent. 

So don't ... say ... the Vikings. Who have Adrian Peterson, the best RB in the game and a HOF candidate, and Percy Harvin, who is one of the most devastating WRs in the league deep and in the open field. Or look at the Eagles ... DeSean Jackson, LeshonMcCoy AND Maclin. 

The difference is Christian Ponder and Vick vs someone like Brady, Rogers, et al. 

I can, in the same breath, say that Gronk is special, Welker is great, Hernandez is very good and so is Ridley, Lloyd, but also realize there are teams with better overall talent outside the the QB. 

With an average QB, I would say this offense would be ... pretty average. Sorry. This isn't the 1989 49ers with a HOFer at each position on the offense. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Funny, "pedestrian team's don't score points like the Pat's do and have now for the better part of the last decade. Nor do pedestrian teams finish either 1st or 2nd in their division for a decade.

New's flash name the last team that won a super bowl with a pedestrian QB...yup that would be Billick's own Baltimore Ravens. A team that today with new Colt's rule where the Refs are now caling the game tigher with the emphesis on down field contact...Would likely not have won a superbowl...

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

????????

How is that a big slight? The Pats offense has talent as key positions, sure. Premium talent. 

So don't ... say ... the Vikings. Who have Adrian Peterson, the best RB in the game and a HOF candidate, and Percy Harvin, who is one of the most devastating WRs in the league deep and in the open field. Or look at the Eagles ... DeSean Jackson, LeshonMcCoy AND Maclin. 

The difference is Christian Ponder and Vick vs someone like Brady, Rogers, et al. 

I can, in the same breath, say that Gronk is special, Welker is great, Hernandez is very good and so is Ridley, Lloyd, but also realize there are teams with better overall talent outside the the QB. 

With an average QB, I would say this offense would be ... pretty average. Sorry. This isn't the 1989 49ers with a HOFer at each position on the offense. 

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for making my point...  By pointing out the "premium talent " , these players should not be called pedestrian, and yes it is an insult.

And your hypothetical is ridiculous since there is no way to know because of the myriad of variables ... Statements like that are condescending know it all type commentary... Kind of like Billick... No wonder you agree with him...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

If there were a way to measure pure "talent" the Patriot's would rank among the top 5 teams in the NFL.  The only people who would disagree with this would the be the haters from outside (Billick) or the self hating "Belichick can't draft" types here...

It doesn't surprise me when a self loathing thread like this gathers traction, there are plenty of pink hats here with little resolve and who are waiting for their nuts to drop.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Self loathing, hatred towards our own players on BDC, I never would have thunk it...

[/QUOTE]

I don't see anybody hating our own players. I see sober assessments of their abilities. I certainly hope some of these guys blossom and become perennial all-pros.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

????????

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for making my point...  By pointing out the "premium talent " , these players should not be called pedestrian, and yes it is an insult.

And your hypothetical is ridiculous since there is no way to know because of the myriad of variables ... Statements like that are condescending know it all type commentary... Kind of like Billick... No wonder you agree with him...

[/QUOTE]

Billick didn't say the premium talent was pedestrian. He said the team was outside of Brady. Just like many other NFL teams that have their premium talent but just don't happen to have, oh, let's say, THE GREATEST QB OF ALL-TIME, for instance.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If there were a way to measure pure "talent" the Patriot's would rank among the top 5 teams in the NFL.  The only people who would disagree with this would the be the haters from outside (Billick) or the self hating "Belichick can't draft" types here...

[/QUOTE]

Setting Brady's talent aside for this....

You're really saying, excluding "outsiders" and "objective Pats' fans"....

the only people who would agree with you are "unrepentant homers who are devoid of objectivity".