Bring Back Daniel Fells

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from viewer222. Show viewer222's posts

Bring Back Daniel Fells

Obviously not Gronk but knows this offense. Just a little extra edge while the Pats play deep into the playoffs

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

Re: Bring Back Daniel Fells

We just signed D.J. Williams. Fells never had a clue.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from viewer222. Show viewer222's posts

In response to kansaspatriot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He would prove you wrong!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

In response to viewer222's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to kansaspatriot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He would prove you wrong!

[/QUOTE]

if so, he would still be on the team, don't ya think?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

they signed him for 3 years so if he had no clue, BB looks like has no clue. He would be a great person to have on the team now. They cut him because although he did everything right, he didnt wow with speed or athleticism.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

they signed him for 3 years so if he had no clue, BB looks like has no clue. He would be a great person to have on the team now. They cut him because although he did everything right, he didnt wow with speed or athleticism.

[/QUOTE]

They cut him because HE WAS NOT THE BEST OPTION FOR THIS TEAM

If he was he WOULD still be here. Do the current TEs WOW with speed or athleticism? If so then there is part of your answer. If not then the same reasoning would mean they would have cut them all too! EIther way your reasoning is not sufficient to explain.

The bottom line is that BB thought less of Fells. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

you dont have to agree but I could just as easily shoot down your theory. My point is Fells was signed to a 3 year deal in offseason. Later they obtained Sudfield after the draft. he made a bobbling catch in Endzone and a star was born(according to the board) Do the math. Sudfield being cheaper and flavor of the month was retained over him. 4 weeks later he was cut and then they started looking again and found mulligan who is a blocking Tight end. So he can fill the role of Gronk in terms of blocking but isnt really a threat to catch the ball. Fells offered a dimension of both pass catching and blocking but wasnt the fastest guy. I have no idea about how he picked up offense but he was in Denver with Joshy right and came highly recomended. So I will end with this. Why did BB ever sign him for 3 years and decent money if he thought less of fells??  He didnt. HE tried to save money and cut a guy who worked hard and was here all offseason for a cheap, undrafted free agent who plays for the Jets now. Thats my Take, if you dont agree than what it yours. Gotta do better than, BB thought less of him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

look what i found

Maybe the Patriots don't plan to use any tight ends at all this season.

Despite the fact that Rob Gronkowski's health is still up in the air, New England has cut two of the five tight ends on their roster. Both Jake Ballard and Daniel Fells have been released, the team announced on Friday.

Fells release is probably the more surprising one, considering the sixth-year tight end signed a three-year, $5.25 million deal in March 2012.

With Fells and Ballard gone, that leaves New England with Gronkowski, Zach Sudfeld and Michael Hoomanawanui as the only tight ends on the roster.

Sudfeld may be the reason coach Bill Belichick felt comfortable dumping Fells and Ballard. The rookie tight end, who signed as an undrafted free agent in May, finished the preseason with eight catches for 101 yards and a touchdown, leading Ben Volin of the Boston Globe to calling him 'Baby Gronk.'

LMAO....Baby Gronk! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

look what i found

Despite the fact that Rob Gronkowski's health is still up in the air, New England has cut two of the five tight ends on their roster. Both Jake Ballard and Daniel Fells have been released, the team announced on Friday.

Fells release is probably the more surprising one, considering the sixth-year tight end signed a three-year, $5.25 million deal in March 2012.

With Fells and Ballard gone, that leaves New England with Gronkowski, Zach Sudfeld and Michael Hoomanawanui as the only tight ends on the roster.

Sudfeld may be the reason coach Bill Belichick felt comfortable dumping Fells and Ballard. The rookie tight end, who signed as an undrafted free agent in May, finished the preseason with eight catches for 101 yards and a touchdown, leading Ben Volin of the Boston Globe to calling him 'Baby Gronk.'

LMAO....Baby Gronk! 

The bigger question would be signing bonus amount.

The number of years and money is irrelevant if you want him as a possible safety net till you get your position sorted during your team build.

You can't look at the money and say that is legitimately how much they value the guy until he makes the roster and actually starts "earning" that.

Until that happens it is simply a manipulation of a position, salary cap, and the roster to make sure you have right of first refusal on a particular player in a position of many question marks to start the season.

...or to put it more simply, it is a tryout wrap in an illusion of a payday.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

look what i found

LMAO....Baby Gronk! 

The bigger question would be signing bonus amount.

The number of years and money is irrelevant if you want him as a possible safety net till you get your position sorted during your team build.

You can't look at the money and say that is legitimately how much they value the guy until he makes the roster and actually starts "earning" that.

Until that happens it is simply a manipulation of a position, salary cap, and the roster to make sure you have right of first refusal on a particular player in a position of many question marks to start the season.

...or to put it more simply, it is a tryout wrap in an illusion of a payday.

[/QUOTE]

I dont know about any of that fbi- q. I am not questioning the great BB. All I did was respond to Kansas for his comment saying "Fells had no clue" and I am saying, Yes he did but he was cut in favor of Sudfeld in the same manner that Ryan Allen was kept over a guy making more money. Its simple math. One worked out great and the other not so much as we went 6 weeks and had 4 catches by the TE but having Brady, we survived.  I am saying nothing more or less and yet some guys will Render a player useless and say since BB cut him he must S*ck and thats not true.

If you are also saying the same thing I am hidden inbetween that business jargon then we agree.

3 years at 5 million is more than any undrafted guy will ever make. Easy as that, no need to go into bonuses and caps. Suds was Cheaper and showed some potential. Its probably why they didnt reach out to fells this time...they learned when they tried to call LLoyd back that some guys aint gonna wait around for the pats to warm up again

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

I dont know about any of that fbi- q. I am not questioning the great BB. All I did was respond to Kansas for his comment saying "Fells had no clue" and I am saying, Yes he did but he was cut in favor of Sudfeld in the same manner that Ryan Allen was kept over a guy making more money. Its simple math. One worked out great and the other not so much as we went 6 weeks and had 4 catches by the TE but having Brady, we survived.  I am saying nothing more or less and yet some guys will Render a player useless and say since BB cut him he must S*ck and thats not true.

If you are also saying the same thing I am hidden inbetween that business jargon then we agree.

3 years at 5 million is more than any undrafted guy will ever make. Easy as that, no need to go into bonuses and caps. Suds was Cheaper and showed some potential. Its probably why they didnt reach out to fells this time...they learned when they tried to call LLoyd back that some guys aint gonna wait around for the pats to warm up again

I assumed BB thought Hooman was better than ballard or fells. That he was told Gronk would be ready sooner than later by those that inform him of those things and that he felt Suds was as good or better with greater upside, younger and cheaper.

Now for the moves right now or later after the fact...

I would need to know the timelines more. I don't know them.

Was Mulligan, and DJ Williams available to them before they signed fells earlier before the season? Perhaps they liked both Mulligan and Williams more but either they weren't available or that the Pats just wanted familiarity at the spot as they might need someone to hit the ground running to cover their bases for just a couple of weeks into the season potentially? ...Which is why they went with Ballard and Fells? I don't know any of those answers but it is how I would be thinking about it.

...and you are right, I have no idea if they, at anytime after the season started, even contacted Fells. The fact that he is still available might say the most about him as a player right now. There are injuries all around the league at TE and he's sitting home maybe as much by choice as anything else?

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Thanks for that bio on Williams. sounds like an interesting prospect, if nothing else. I sure hope he can help us down the stretch.  Losing Gronkowski was a definite hit, but in spite of it all , I still feel like our offense can score enough points to get us to the Super Bowl.  I feel like it is more important than ever to hang onto the number two seed. If we can do that, get the bye, get rested and have a little more time to gel defensively, anything is possible.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to DeadAhead's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If they wanted Fells, he'd be here.  I don't know why this is so over-analyzed or why people think their scouting on a player is superior to the team's.

That said, anyone know anything about this DJ Willliams guy?

[/QUOTE]

Seems to  be Hitman Hearns part II without the .45 in his pocket. Im very intrigued. He played with Mallet down in Arkansas. He is the exact size of hern at 6-2 , 245 and is said to have the same skill set. Im excited to see if he can get up to speed. I am no way questioning BB because without Gronk going out, its a non issue. I am over analyzing as I just responding to kansas' claim of him not having a clue. How does he know? Why did BB sign a guy for 3 years to be contigency plan fbi? Seem like he just rolled a dice with a cheaper player. No way to know that and with Dj's skillset, you are right, they may have eyed him in the past.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

At 6-foot-2 and 245 pounds, Williams may translate best as a hybrid "move" tight end or H-back at the NFL level, but there's no denying his potential and production. Leaving Arkansas as the NCAA's active leader in catches and receiving yards among tight ends, Williams took his impressive talent into the Senior Bowl and scouting combine, looking especially quick and fluid in drills on the field at Lucas Oil Stadium and showing outstanding hands during the week of practices at Ladd-Peebles Stadium.

Though Williams caught 149 passes for 1,831 yards and 10 touchdowns in his collegiate career, it's entirely possible that he could do even more in the right NFL system. Especially in 2009, when he caught just 32 balls, his skill in running intermediate contrasted with quarterback Ryan Mallett's preference for the deep ball. In a West Coast-style system in which the ball is pushed forward from short and intermediate routes, Williams could be the epicenter of a passing game.

The challenge Williams faces is getting across the fact that he can be an every-down tight end despite his height. At Arkansas, learning to block consistently was the first step. "I got caught up in my sophomore year at Arkansas in catching 60-plus balls a season and I got real excited, and really didn't excel in blocking," Williams said at the combine. "And Coach (Arkanas head coach Bobby) Petrino didn't like that one bit. I worked real hard going into my junior year at becoming a better blocker. And my senior year I kind of put two and two together and became a complete tight end. Hats off to Coach Petrino; he gave me the right mindset and mentality to become not just a pass-catching tight end, but a run blocker as well."

Pros: Very crafty with quick passes at the line; Williams excels at getting up to speed in space, and he shows great escapability in getting upfield. Good route runner who makes excellent cuts — he doesn't round off his routes and he puts himself in a position to succeed when turning upfield. Good hands-catcher who will pluck the ball away from defenders even in tight coverage and with poorly-thrown passes.

Really does have exceptional discipline with his hands; understands how hands have to work together and he avoids body-catches. Run-blocks well upfield and chips effectively into his routes. Has a second gear once he gets upfield with the ball, and he showed his short-area quickness at the combine in the shuttle, 3-come drill, and catch drills. Determined player who requires far more than an arm tackle to being him down.

Cons: Decent, but not dominant, inline pass blocker who may run into trouble with speed ends at the NFL level. May not be physical enough to beat press coverage out of the slot as a pro.

Hern Part II. Yep, Someone check this guys fingerprints! Did BB sneak him out of jail and put a fake name on him...??  lol

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]

If they wanted Fells, he'd be here.  I don't know why this is so over-analyzed or why people think their scouting on a player is superior to the team's.

[/QUOTE]

EXACTLY !

It is that simple - BB thinks OTHER players will better help this team more than Fells. How is that so hard to understand? 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

EXACTLY !

It is that simple - BB thinks OTHER players will better help this team more than Fells. How is that so hard to understand? 

[/QUOTE]

I dont think it is sir. for the last time I was responding to Kansas remarks of him NOT getting it and I disagreed. I said nothing more or less about who is here now. He must have had some interest to sign him 3 years and look how many guys cant even get a deal here like Woodhead. So are you in agreement that Fells isnt here because he didnt get it? or are you open to the fact that BB found a cheaper option?  Thats all

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

EXACTLY !

[/QUOTE]

I dont think it is sir. for the last time I was responding to Kansas remarks of him NOT getting it and I disagreed. I said nothing more or less about who is here now. He must have had some interest to sign him 3 years and look how many guys cant even get a deal here like Woodhead. So are you in agreement that Fells isnt here because he didnt get it? or are you open to the fact that BB found a cheaper option?  Thats all

[/QUOTE]

Hey, I am not saying you are wrong about the thinking at the time they did sign him. I am ONLY talking about the current situation. Nothing more.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

EXACTLY !

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I will add that with BB it is always about the skills and the cost. If BB thinks the money is better spent somewhere else he will spend it but somewhere else. So both issues, skills and cost, come in to play when evaluating the total value of a player. And the skill part is not a single element thing either. It is the strengths and weaknesses of a player. The roles he can fill. Does he add a new dimension? Does he add the potential for mismatches? Does he add depth at a role or skill that is needed? 

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Fells left here with very hard feelings, thinking his release was unfair, and he was one of the top 2 TE's when camp broke. Not playing ST's hurt his roster spot, but he saw it differently than the coaching staff, and if the PAts had interest, Fells has closed this chapter of his career, and will not be back in NE, ever. If contacted by the media, it would not surprise me to see Fells mimic RSeymour stating he would play for 31 teams...

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Fells left here with very hard feelings, thinking his release was unfair, and he was one of the top 2 TE's when camp broke. Not playing ST's hurt his roster spot, but he saw it differently than the coaching staff, and if the PAts had interest, Fells has closed this chapter of his career, and will not be back in NE, ever. If contacted by the media, it would not surprise me to see Fells mimic RSeymour stating he would play for 31 teams...

[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a player who was never Pats material.  Brady preferred Hooman. It's honestly that simple.

[/QUOTE]

not sure which Brady prefered, but the coaching staff certainly prefered Hoomans ability to play TE (block and catch), play H-back, and play all 4 ST's...pre injury, I would agree that the coaching staff made the correct decision.