Burgess reported to be considering retirement

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Burgess reported to be considering retirement

Here is the link: http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=5420225

Ouch!  Not that I thought he was still a great player, but we're getting pretty thin there if he does retire.

I think I'll say it again... Ouch!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

Re: Burgess reported to be considering retirement

First Crable and now Burgess; how much more can a fan take in a week?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I'm going to visit Boston early in August, perhaps I'll try out for OLB.  Hey, I can probably make as many tackles as Crable did last year.  Like Crable, I'll go on IR after my first physical contact with an NFL player lol.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

Good luck caraway, let us know how it goes haha...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Ok so we are down to Banta Cain, Cunningham, Guyton (if they convert him to OLB), Woods, Ninkovich. I'd say we are getting pretty thin, maybe they'll bring in a veteran who gets waived during the pre-season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Of Course!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

It's like Ted Johnson all over again.............not.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Wasn't this a major position of need in the offseason? Why is it getting worst and not better? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

Ok Do I have to be the first one to say it!!!!  Bring back Adauilus Thomas!!!  This time just use him as the edge rusher.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

In Response to Re: Burgess reported to be considering retirement:
    It's like Ted Johnson all over again.............not.
    Posted by Tcal2

I'm just getting over blaming him for 2005-2006 and there you go bringing his name up.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

That explains why he was a no show today..If he's thinking about it I don't want him.
    Looks like we'll get a good look at the rookie whether we like it or not.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

One possibility is that he is just looking to get out of training camp, or at least the initial part of it.  Not saying that's the case, but there is plenty of precedent in the NFL for older players using the "retirement" card to get out of training camp.  They all seem to make up their minds and decide to play once the 2-a-days are over.

I don't think that works in BB land however.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In Response to Re: Burgess reported to be considering retirement : Or you off the ledge regarding Crable? What if it is better, though? What if Cunningham is good? What if Ninkovich is used in some capacity as a back up?
    Posted by russgriswold

No, I'm over that. 

But you have to admit that the position is looking weaker by the day.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

who starts along with TBC?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

How is everyone sleeping on Ninkovich? Is the guy chopped liver? I mean, a ton of people fixate on that loser Crable (who played NO nfl snaps) but ignore a guy who actually started in games last year. That's just stupid. And read what the guy says. He cares and I'm damn sure he'll do everything he can to take advantage of the opportunity he'll get. He's not like "Hopefully this year I work hard and things work out" like that dou**che Crable. How about you work hard and make things happen for you?

“This is the best opportunity of my life,” Ninkovich said. “I’ve got to take it and run with it. It’s all on me.”

During the first full practice of training camp on Thursday morning, Ninkovich appeared to be well on his way to reaching his next goal, seeing reps opposite established veteran Tully Banta-Cain.

“This is the most opportunity with reps I’ve had,” noted Ninkovich, a five-year veteran who has not started a game in the NFL. “I was a little nervous and antsy when camp came because I knew I would have the opportunity.”

“I’m just grateful to be here and doing what I’m doing. I have to make the best of it.”

And there's no way Cunningham is going to start at OLB and be effective. It's a very tough position to learn, and you have to consider the guy was a DE at FLA. I am looking for Cunningham to provide some rush on third down just using his athleticism (which is all they could ask for this year).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

He'll do the year then retire

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Cunningham is likely to start whether or not Burgess plays.  He comes from Florida and so he fits right into the Patriots' game plan.  He has the moves to get to the QB, he's fast, he's a bit bulky, the way BB likes his linebackers, and he's got long enough arms.  Lots of positions require a year or two of apprenticeship, but not sacking the QB.  Most of the time they just pin their ears back and accelerate upfield.  Cunningham has been tried out with the first team earlier this year, a good sign.

Banta-Cain on the other OLB position is a no-brainer.  He collected 10 sacks last year so he's not chopped liver. 

If Mr. Burgess would like to occupy space on the bench as a backup rusher, he could be pretty useful someday, unless there's something really wrong with his body that he's not telling us.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JaeD. Show JaeD's posts

what if this is a ploy to get more money, since now he see's Crable is gone maybe he feels like he has some leverage.   Either way what a &!tch.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

who starts along with TBC?
    Posted by sirpinochle

This is a stretch but if Burgess retires I am casting my vote for.....Piere Woods. Before you laugh me off. Woods has arguably been our best special teams player since joining our team. From 2006-2008 he had more ST tackles then any play on team(Izzo had 2 less) In 2008 he became the full time starter from week 9 on but broke his jaw and hit the IR. He had 34 tackles at the time but that # would have gone up if he had not been injured and maintained his starting role. Last year he ha had 36 tackles and started 3 games.

He is 6ft5 250 #s fitting the BB typical OLB. This is his 5th year in the Pats system and has starting experience. He has done his time on ST and is a do whatever it takes guy. I also remember a pre season game I think in 08 where he had 2-3 sacks and 6 QB pressures.

Remember guys like Bruschi and Vrabel were nothing more then ST players until they got the chance(around the same age that Woods is now 28) I think this could be an opportunity for P Woods to step up!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Burgess reported to be considering retirement : Yes, but you were convinced Crable was the guy in 2010.  I am surprised you are so easily not responding to his failure to even see the field. Anyway, it's thinner, but this is why the drafted Cunningham. We know he can drop into coverage with ease so that's good.  Maybe he'll be fine setting the edge with Ty Warren? Who knows? The real queestion is, could it be worse than what Adalius Thomas was doing trotting around like he had a knife in his calf last year? Somehow I doubt it.
    Posted by russgriswold[/QUOTE]

I'm just not convinced with the supporting cast. I thought Crable would be the guy that gets the pass-rush into shape, but that's over now. 

I hope you're right about Cunningham. I'm not sold on him, either. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

The Florida= New england comparison doesn't work in terms of system. Does the NE spread O look anything like that goofy O Florida plays? No. The same goes for the D. FLORIDA does not two gap like the Pats do. I agree that Cunningham can make an impact as a rusher, but he's never played OLB before. I think even Reiss said it might be too much to expect a lot from Cunningham due to the difficulty of the position. And be honest, they don't need a 3 down OLB if someone can get to the QB when it matters (like 3rd and 15 2 years ago). I think Cunningham can help in that regard.

[QUOTE]Cunningham is likely to start whether or not Burgess plays.  He comes from Florida and so he fits right into the Patriots' game plan.  He has the moves to get to the QB, he's fast, he's a bit bulky, the way BB likes his linebackers, and he's got long enough arms.  Lots of positions require a year or two of apprenticeship, but not sacking the QB.  Most of the time they just pin their ears back and accelerate upfield.  Cunningham has been tried out with the first team earlier this year, a good sign. Banta-Cain on the other OLB position is a no-brainer.  He collected 10 sacks last year so he's not chopped liver.  If Mr. Burgess would like to occupy space on the bench as a backup rusher, he could be pretty useful someday, unless there's something really wrong with his body that he's not telling us.
    Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]