Burress pleads guilty gets 2 years

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LawsArmyGear. Show LawsArmyGear's posts

Burress pleads guilty gets 2 years

From espn.com:

NEW YORK -- Former New York Giants receiver Plaxico Burress pleaded guilty Thursday to a weapons charge and agreed to a two-year prison term for accidentally shooting himself at a Manhattan nightclub.

Burress pleaded guilty to one count of attempted criminal possession of a weapon, a lesser charge than he initially faced. Under a plea agreement, he agreed to a two-year prison sentence and two years of supervised release.

Burress was indicted earlier this month on two counts of criminal possession of a weapon and one count of reckless endangerment. He faced a minimum sentence of 3½ years if convicted at a trial.

The guilty plea ends months of haggling between Burress' attorney and the Manhattan district attorney's office. The case went to a grand jury earlier this month after negotiations broke down, apparently because District Attorney Robert Morgenthau was insisting that Burress serve at least two years in prison.

Assistant District Attorney Mark Dwyer said it is standard policy to request a two-year sentence as part of a plea bargain on such serious charges. Sentencing was set for Sept. 22.

In a Manhattan state Supreme Court room on Thursday, the soft-spoken Burress, wearing a dark blue suit, first entered a not-guilty plea to the initial charges against him. After attorneys on both sides conferred, Burress said, "guilty" to the new attempted weapons possession charge.

His attorney, Benjamin Brafman, said in court that the 31-year-old Burress was thinking of his family in taking the plea, although he questioned the recommended prison sentence.

"This was not an intentional criminal act," Brafman said. "In my judgment, a two-year prison sentence is a very severe punishment."

With time off for good behavior, the sentence could be reduced to 20 months.

Burress and former teammate Antonio Pierce were at the Latin Quarter nightclub in late November 2008 when a gun tucked into Burress' waistband slipped down his leg and fired, shooting him in the right thigh. The bullet narrowly missed a nightclub security guard who was standing inches away, prosecutors said, lodged in the floor and was recovered by a bartender.

The gun was not licensed in New York or in New Jersey, where Burress lived, prosecutors said. His license to carry a concealed weapon in the state of Florida had expired in May 2008.

Prosecutors said Pierce drove Burress to a hospital, then took the gun to his own home in New Jersey, where it was later delivered to Burress' home.

Pierce was not indicted. The grand jury also did not indict the nightclub security guard who carried the gun to Pierce's car or the hospital staff members who failed to notify police that Burress had been shot.

Burress, who caught the winning touchdown for the Giants against the New England Patriots in the final minute of the 2008 Super Bowl, also could face disciplinary action by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen reported that Goodell and Burress had met last week.

The Giants released Burress in April; he had yet to sign with another team.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Re: Burress pleads guilty gets 2 years

That'll teach him for catching the winning TD against us...

No, seriously, I think we have been seeing a lot of W T F sentences lately.  On the one hand, some will say that if it were you and I we would be locked up for much longer.  On the other hand, thousands of criminals get off with wrist slaps every day.  Even folks with spotty records do quite well avoiding jail time in many cases.

No doubt opinions on this will vary from "give him life" to "give him a fine"...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

You have to love the BS lawyers churn out! "Not an intentional criminal act"??? I suppose he accidently slipped the gun under his belt (or maybe the gun just put itself there without Plax noticing)! Finally one of these morons actually does some time for their gun-toting antics. Hopefully this will serve as a good warning to others who feel like they must do the "club scene" and do it armed. If a place is dangerous enough so you feel you need to pack iron, it's probably best if you simply stay home or go elsewhere! I know if I had the funds some of these guys have, I'd never go out. If I wanted to party with friends and see some strippers, I'd hire the girls to come to my place and only invite those "friends" I trusted. Plus have a metal detector at the door! Can't say I feel bad for Plax. Doesn't he have a wife at home? Why does he need to go out and party with strippers and sluts?

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

In Response to Re: Burress pleads guilty gets 2 years:
    [QUOTE]So Burress gets two years for unintentionally shooting himself, while Marvin Harrison is free to walk this earth after shooting down a man on the street in cold blood.  That makes perfect sense...
    Posted by jerkhoff[/QUOTE]

Saint Dungy didn't put in a good word for Plax!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

This is BS.  Carrying a gun is a constitutional right.  He didn't hurt anyone but himself.  The government is taking away our right to defend ourselves.  Today it is New York City.  Tomorrow it will be the whole country. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from docmartin72. Show docmartin72's posts

[QUOTE]This is BS.  Carrying a gun is a constitutional right.  He didn't hurt anyone but himself.  The government is taking away our right to defend ourselves.  Today it is New York City.  Tomorrow it will be the whole country. 
    Posted by themightypatriots[/QUOTE]

It is  a right, but I suppose being registered might help. Ot should any person be able to load up a weapon without any accountability?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

"You have to love the BS lawyers churn out! "Not an intentional criminal act"??? I suppose he accidently slipped the gun under his belt (or maybe the gun just put itself there without Plax noticing)! Finally one of these morons actually does some time for their gun-toting antics. Hopefully this will serve as a good warning to others who feel like they must do the "club scene" and do it armed. If a place is dangerous enough so you feel you need to pack iron, it's probably best if you simply stay home or go elsewhere! I know if I had the funds some of these guys have, I'd never go out. If I wanted to party with friends and see some strippers, I'd hire the girls to come to my place and only invite those "friends" I trusted. Plus have a metal detector at the door! Can't say I feel bad for Plax. Doesn't he have a wife at home? Why does he need to go out and party with strippers and sluts? " - Bub

As far as I know Bub he had the gun with him in a night club not a strip club so I dont know why you are saying he was hanging out with sluts and strippers. He was out with friends and teammates at a local night club and that is ok. Bringing a gun to a public place with out a licence for said gun in a city where carrying a gun registered or not into a night club is against the law was what he did wrong. He is a grown man and if wants to go to a bar he can do so.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

"So Burress gets two years for unintentionally shooting himself, while Marvin Harrison is free to walk this earth after shooting down a man on the street in cold blood.  That makes perfect sense... " jerk off

Do you have some kind of proff that he shot a man down in cold blood? Because there was loads of proof against Plaxico Burress and almost none against Harrison so it is a very different case.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

"This is BS.  Carrying a gun is a constitutional right.  He didn't hurt anyone but himself.  The government is taking away our right to defend ourselves.  Today it is New York City.  Tomorrow it will be the whole country. " - Mighty

Sometimes Mighty you really are just bat sh*t crazy. First of all who said he is not allowed to carry a gun? No one said that, if he goes through the proper channels and is a registered gun owner he can both own and carry a firearm.

This guy did not have a licence to have that gun which means he got teh gun through iilegal means. He then brought this unregistered gun into a night club, in NYC it is against the law to bring a fire arm registered or otherwise into a night club. period. Burress broke this law and deserves what he got. Is he above the law?

I am a avid supporter of a persons right to own a gun, but I also think that the rules in place are there for very good reasons. If he wanted to own a gun all he had to do was sign his name on a few papers and then it would have been legal. Had his gun been registered he would have only gotten a slap on teh wrist for breaking the law that states no one can carry a fire arm into a crowded night club. Joey Porter of teh Miami Dolphins came right out after this went down and said that he owns guns and he carrys guns for his own pertection however he is registered to own and carry those guns in teh state of Florida and so he breaks no laws. If you want to own a gun you have to do it the right wat. Burress got this gun in some back ally and then proceeded to bring this loaded gun into a crowded night club and when it went off he could have killed someone. No one said he couldnt own a gun what they said is he cant have a unregistered gun in a crowded night club.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

[QUOTE]This is BS.  Carrying a gun is a constitutional right.  He didn't hurt anyone but himself.  The government is taking away our right to defend ourselves.  Today it is New York City.  Tomorrow it will be the whole country. 
    Posted by themightypatriots[/QUOTE]

You forgot to add unregistered to that sentence...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Yes, the constitution does, indeed, specify the right to bear arms, but personally I'm having a hard time picturing Cool Hand Plaxico as a part of any well-regulated militia.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

LoL

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

So we have to ask the government for permission to carry a gun, even though the people already forbade the government from infringing on our right to do so more than 200 years ago?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

-- "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." -- 

In spite of extensive discussion and much legislative action with respect to regulation of the purchase, possession, and transportation of firearms, as well as proposals to substantially curtail ownership of firearms, there is no definitive resolution by the courts of just what right the Second Amendment protects. The opposing theories, perhaps oversimplified, are an ''individual rights'' thesis whereby individuals are protected in ownership, possession, and transportation, and a ''states' rights'' thesis whereby it is said the purpose of the clause is to protect the States in their authority to maintain formal, organized militia units. Whatever the Amendment may mean, it is a bar only to federal action, not extending to state or private restraints. The Supreme Court has given effect to the dependent clause of the Amendment in the only case in which it has tested a congressional enactment against the constitutional prohibition, seeming to affirm individual protection but only in the context of the maintenance of a militia or other such public force.

In United States v. Miller, the Court sustained a statute requiring registration under the National Firearms Act of sawed-off shotguns. After reciting the original provisions of the Constitution dealing with the "well regulated militia," the Court observed that '' . . .  with obvious purpose to assure the continuation and render possible the effectiveness of such forces the declaration and guarantee of the Second Amendment were made. It must be interpreted with that end in view.'' The significance of the militia, the Court continued, was that it was composed of ''civilians primarily, soldiers on occasion.'' It was upon this force that the States could rely for defense and securing of the laws, on a force that ''comprised all males physically capable of acting in concert for the common defense,'' who, ''when called for service . . . were expected to appear bearing arms supplied by themselves and of the kind in common use at the time." Therefore, '' . . .  in the absence of any evidence tending to show that possession or use of a 'shotgun having a barrel of less than 18 inches in length' at this time has some reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well- regulated militia, we cannot say that the Second Amendment guarantees the right to keep and bear such an instrument. Certainly it is not within judicial notice that this weapon is any part of the ordinary military equipment or that its use could contribute to the common defense.''

Since this decision, Congress has placed greater limitations on the receipt, possession, and transportation of firearms, and proposals for national registration or prohibition of firearms altogether have been made. At what point regulation or prohibition of what classes of firearms would conflict with the Amendment, if at all, the Miller case does little more than cast a faint degree of illumination toward an answer.

The key here, it seems to me is "the common defense." That's what the Constituiton protects, not your individual desire to shoot whomever you please.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

The Supreme Court can s*ck my balls.  They haven't defended the people against the government in 200 years.  I missed the part in the Constitution where it says, "Everything in the Constitution is meaningless until interpreted by the 9 bozos, and they are free to interpret it however they want."  I don't need a bunch of stuck up ivory tower elites to tell me what a simple English sentence means, or that a dependent justification clause somehow limits a universal. 

Yes, originally the bill of rights was interpreted only to restrict the Federal government, but for the past 50 years those jackasses in their Roman temple have been applying them against the states, well, every one except the 2nd.  So if you think the 2nd Amendment doesn't restrict the states, then I guess the states are free to curtail freedom of speech, press & religion, to deny people the right to a trial by jury, to search and seize whomever they like, etc.  Honestly I would prefer to have oppressive states if the Feds would stay the h*ll out of my life, but if we're going to impose the rest of the Bill of Rights on the states, why not the 2nd?  Or should people need a license to speak, or practice a religion, or print a newspaper?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

You had me at "The Supreme Court can s*ck my balls!"

Cool

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Crazy man you do realize that it is New York law that states a person can not bring a firearm into a NYC night club not the goverment. I mean I know that its the goverment but your issue always seems to be against "big goverment" not state goverment and in this case it is the state that does not think it is safe for people to be walking around drunk at night club with hundreds of other drunk people while packing heat in their gym shorts. Do you really think people should just be allowed to walk around getting drunk with friends while carrying a fire arm? And unregistered fire arm! That is the one thing you dance around, if his gun was registered he would even be doing time right now. Its the fact that he got teh gun in some back ally with out the proper paper work. That is what drug dealers do not pro athaletes and that another reason they came down hard on him. It would be irrisponsible of the state to allow people to walk into night clubs while packing heat. Too many people and too many hot heads in that city. To many gang bangers and drug dealers. So does Plex have a right to own a gun? Yes he does, but does he have a right to carry it around with him while he and his friends drink at a night club? no he does not. It is the states job to protect its people and that is what this law is for, The city that never sleeps has a lot of night clubs some of which are in bad parts of town, and there are a lot of people that have no real need for a gun but will have it on them incase you smudge their puma's. Thats what the law is for so dumb people with stupid reasons for hurting someone dont shoot people. Its one thing to own a gun to protect your family and your home, or in your car incase you get held up because your famous but to carry a gun around unregistered in your waste band like a god d amn rapper is stupid and he should be put in jail for that.

By the way Mighty have you ever had someone you dont know draw down on you? Cause i have looked down teh barrel of a gun before and it was one of the scarest things in my life. Two guys followed me and some friends out of a bar in Providence and started talking trash to us for no reason at all and when we talked back to them one of them drew down right there and we could of all been killed. and for what? because some D bag wanted to get drunk and scare some Boston kids? No one said people cant own guns but allowing people to walk around packing heat is stupid plain and simple.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

I'm not dancing around jack.  I already said in my post that if guns should be registered, then why not speech, religion, and the press?  Should I only be allowed to criticize the government if I get a license, or to practice Catholicism, etc.? 

Gun registration doesn't accomplish any of the protection you describe.  It doesn't prevent people from carrying guns in public and drawing down on you outside a bar.  The only purpose of gun registration is for the government to identify the guns it will confiscate when the international banking conspiracy imposes martial law.

Never had anyone point a gun at me deliberately.  Was once confronted by a kid in the army in an African country carelessly carrying an AK-47.  But that was the least scary part of the trip. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Mighty some of teh stuff you say is just so far out there I cant even comment on it with out insulting you. Guns are registered so that when some moron husbands loses his sh*t and shoots his wife in the face they can figure out if it was his gun that killed her. So they can solve crimes.

And you are these laws dont actually protect us or else that guy would have never had the gun to point in my face in teh first place but are you really trying to say that the goverment should merely stop trying? This is crazy talk mighty of course the goverment is going to make people register to own a gun because a gun can be used to kill people. In fact the only reason to own a gun is to shoot at someone if need be its not like a kitchen knife with many uses for it. It is a gun meant to shoot and even kill people and good people like me might own a gun and keep it locked up inside my home but there are other people who get guns in back allys and then carry those guns into night club and then start a fight and put a gun in your face. The law is in place so that when a cop shows up and finds the gun on the man as he arrests him he can make the arrest right then and there. If he finds a gun on a kid he can simply say hey kid its aginst the law for you to have this gun inside a night club and boom that is it. Then later once the evidence has been collected they can make a case and put him away for drawing his gun in a crowded place and all that. It is a good law, maybe in some states it is not needed but in NYC where ther are drug dealers and gang banger walking around EVERY NIGHT it is a needed law and it helps cops make arrests. Plex was wrong man plain and simple.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Do they still even make Pumas?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

LoL yes they still make Puma's lol and they are still a good sneaker lol

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I should probably get into town more than once a year.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Haha nah town is overrated lol anything you need you can order online and people s uck anyways.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from diva886. Show diva886's posts

Plax brought this on himself. You could say that shooting himself is punishment enough, but he was lucky he's the only one he hurt. You need a valid license and vehicle registration to drive a car, same principle here.

So, how will the Giants' next several seasons go without him?