Caldwell Merely a Figurehead in Indy?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Caldwell Merely a Figurehead in Indy?

Who really is calling the shots in Indy? The twitter from CB Justin tryon, who was recently released by the Colts, seems to beg the question:

“Caldwell wanted to start me but it wasn’t up to him!” he wrote.  Another tweet later said: “IM BLESSED!! lay off of Caldwell he’s a great coach! Peace.”

If it isn't up to coach Caldwell who plays, who is it up to?? Bill Polian evidently is at it again:  

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/29/released-colts-cornerback-says-caldwell-doesnt-make-lineup-decisions/ 

Here's are some classic fan comments on Caldwell, Polian, and the Colts: 

1.) This is no surprise at all to me. Caldwell is a janitor, nothing more;

2.) What exactly does Caldwell do??? Polian decides who’s on the team. Manning ran the offense. How can the loss of one player equal a meltdown?;

3.) Ever since Polian made the decision to tank the Jets & Bill’s games in 2009 everyone knew that Caldwell was just a person for press briefings;

4.) A coaches responsibility is to ensure the best players are on the field and Tryon was LIGHT YEARS better than Jacob “10 yards cushion on 3rd and 2″ Lacey. all  this does is confirm what we’ve known for years – that Polian is really the one running the show and whatever Tryon did to offend Polian, he is clearly flexing his institutional muscle here...Now watch Tryon sign with the Patriots and become a star ..figures;

5.) LOL...does Al Davis run the Colts too?? This would explain why he hasn’t been around the Raiders alot this offseason and season. He’s been busy turning the Colts into a dumpster fire. Oh well, as long as Oakland keeps getting better;

6.) We all know the Polians run this team. Just like Jerry Jones in Dallas and Al Deadvis in Oakland;

7.) Look at Colts.Com to see whose running things :

Staff:
    James Irsay, Owner and CEO
    Bill Polian, Vice Chairman
    Carlie Irsay-Gordon, Vice President
    Casey Irsay Foyt, Vice President
    Kalen Irsay, Vice President

Football Operations
    Chris Polian, Vice President and General Manager

Hey, nepotism works if you don’t demand excellence;

8.) Hi, I’m Jim Irsay, the Colts owner and yes I’ve been drinking:);

9.) What I want to know is, why is an owner of a professional sports team responding to what a former player said,…………… on TWITTER!;

10.) If Polian ever gets into the HOF, Matt Millen should give the induction speech for him.

LOL!!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Re: Caldwell Merely a Figurehead in Indy?

WHO CARES???? STOP WITH THE F***ING COLTS THREADS ALREADY.  THIS IS A PATS FORUM.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Caldwell Merely a Figurehead in Indy?:
    [QUOTE]WHO CARES???? STOP WITH THE F***ING COLTS THREADS ALREADY.  THIS IS A PATS FORUM.
    Posted by themightypatriotz[/QUOTE]

LOL!!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Talk about a guy with a perpetual "deer in the headlights" look:

Colts coach Jim Caldwell.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hambonawilliams. Show hambonawilliams's posts

Difference #1 - Night and day difference Robbie...Kraft bought the team to keep it here, he didn't have to sneak out of town in the dead of night to get himself a better deal somewhere else...one makes a committment to his home town, the other absconds with a team like a thief in the night...lol...

Diffference #2 - BB vs. Jim "Who, me ?" Caldwell...one is a sure HOF coach, the other a useless doormat with no pride what-so-ever....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Below are the comments made by Jim Caldwell, and others, responding to the allegations that Caldwell doesn't have control of the team (my comments are interjected, in bold black):

“Well, probably without being boastful or seeming as if that I’m reacting to that particular statement, but I can just tell you that if I wanted him to start, he would have started,” Caldwell said. “If I wanted him to here, he’d still be here, plain and simple. I’m not going to carry on a back-and-forth, you know, because the young man did a good job for us while he was here and I hope he’s able to land with someone else.”

RESPONSE: Hey Jim...if he did such a good job for you, why is he gone? furthermore, who bother to reply to the comments of a player who is no longer with the team?  

"Colts cornerback Jerraud Powers, who learned of Tryon being waived on Twitter Wednesday, said today, “It was sort of a shock to all of us,” and predicted Tryon would start for his next team. Tryon, in his third season, started six games for the Colts last season but had been relegated to a reserve role this year."

RESPONSE: Why was this such a shock? If Tryon was playing so well, why was he released? Who made the decision to release him? 

'Asked why Tryon expressed the opinion he thought Caldwell wanted to play him but couldn’t, the coach said, “I cannot go into the minds of other individuals and tell you that. I know one thing, and I think some of you could probably attest to, I’m pretty direct and I usually don’t have very many people that misunderstand me.”

RESPONSE: Can't help but notice that Caldwell is not flat out denying what Tryon said. 
     http://www.indystar.com/article/20110929/SPORTS03/110929004/Caldwell-confronts-perception-he-lacks-control-team-

Here are some comments from Colts' fans as to whether they believe that Caldwell is in charge: 

1.) Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! I find it interesting another DB states the Tyron will start for another team, but yet the Colts cut him. Something smells funny around here. Caldwell states that he's not a doctor so he can't say anything, well, don't the doctors talk to you Caldwell. He skirts around so many questions and yet he states he's direct - WTH!

2.) I'd thought for years that I, Robot had a string tied to a ring coming out of his back that Polian Senior pulled on at every press conference whenever a question was asked. But I never really thought it was true until reading this article;

3.) ...the route of the problem starts at the front office and Polian! For years they have done nothing but neglect very important aspects of our team....we have neglected to try to build a defense that is capable of playing defense during all aspects of the game, not just 'when we are up'...our OL has been in shambles for a long time! Every other team in the NFL has a decent backup option but us, bc we have to pay 1 person $20m a year. If you want a team that can always be a top 15 team, you have to have stability, which is something patriots, packers, steelers, bears, etc have...our draft picks over the past 6 years have stunk up the place.  Polian has messed up for years...

4.) At this point, I wouldn't trust a word coming from Jim Caldwell;

5.) Caldwell is not in charge of jack-thats obvious by the blank look on his face and that dumb stare...I am sick of the Polians and have NO FAITH IN CALDWELL. He does lack control of the team and 60K in the stadium can see that as well as the rest of the viewing audience. We may just be fans but we are not stupid;

6.) Caldwell is nothing but a Tool with no power. The Polians have infiltrated the organization and are taking control of everything. The Polians don't want a coach who will exert his authority and put a team on the field that he feels will win;

7.) Caldwell could you please say "obviously" a little more when you talk? I don't think you say it enough. That, in combination with Irsay's "and um" in every other word, makes our management sound idiotic;

8.) Caldwell is in full control of this team, and he'll annouce who the starting QB will be as soon as Bill Polian tells him who it is...

9.)"Caldwell tried to make it clear today he’s the guy in charge of the 0-3 Colts."
    As Sean Connery in the Untouchables said... "Who would claim to be that, who wasn't? (this guy gets a gold star ...hilarious!!!);

10.) Caldwell towed the management line when the perfect season was thrown. Of course the players resent it.

LOL!!!!   

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

Hmm, well Tex, the janitor business is booming in Indy these days. It's spewing from the team and their fanbase, led by UD6. The gravitational pull is excessive in Indy this year. Suuckin' bigtime.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I really don't see why this is news to anybody.  Polian runs the club.  Manning controlled the offense.  Caldwell is a sound board for Manning.  It is what it is.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

[QUOTE]Wow - I'm the right there with the what does Caldwell do crowd, but the rest of it, I find quite hypocritical.  Lets see - Bob Kraft - known drinker Jonathon Kraft - president Myra Kraft (deceased) - President New England Patriots Charitable Foundation Daniel Kraft - Kraft Group (owner of Pats) Joshua Kraft - Kraft Group (owner of Pats) David Kraft - Kraft Group (owner of Pats) Nepotism indeed.  TP you really just aren't as smart as you think you are.
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

Daniel, David and Joshua are part of the Kraft Group that owns the Pats but they are not associated with a position on the team.  Big difference.  The Kraft Group has other businesses besides the Pats and that's what the other three are involved in.  Not really apples and apples here.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

What Mighty said.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duc749Rider. Show Duc749Rider's posts

[QUOTE]What Mighty said.
    Posted by CaptainZdeno33[/QUOTE]

Ditto.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]What Mighty said.
    Posted by CaptainZdeno33[/QUOTE]

Nobody is forcing you, "The Duc", or "The Mighty One" to read the posts in this thread, or to comment.

This is a football forum...where football issues are discussed. Talking only about the Patriots gets boring. The many "Patriots' defense sucks" threads are tired and repetitive. That are 31 other teams in the league. The Colts happen to be the Pats' greatest rivals over the past decade. I find what's going on with them, post-Peyton, to be both interesting, as well as amusing.

If you don't...go post somewhere else...or go start another "Patriots' defense sucks" thread!  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

TP

In defense of the Colts: For a decade the team has done great under Manning and Polian and now with Manning out and the team 0-3 everyone is picking on them and saying: you f*cked up, you should have done it differently. Well, where were all those critics when the team was wracking up victory after victory? It seems selfish, egotistical to assume a holier than thou position and then scapegoat Jim Caldwell as the problem. This has nothing to do with Caldwell, it has to do only with Manning being injured.

The reality is that each team has their own varying management dynamics and are run like family businesses. For example, Pete Carmichael the offensive coordinator of the Saints never calls any plays, that is reserved for Shaun McDonough. Should we just call Pete a gofer? No, the reality is Pete makes the team run behind the scenes in his own detailed, but relaxed way. Should we really expect Caldwell to challenge Polian and Irsay? Could anyone have the expertise to run the offense the way Manning does? Caldwell fills a useful buffer role necessary on the Colts.    

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

In Response to Caldwell Merely a Figurehead in Indy?:
    [QUOTE]     Who really is calling the shots in Indy? The twitter from CB Justin tryon, who was recently released by the Colts, seems to beg the question:      “Caldwell wanted to start me but it wasn’t up to him!” he wrote.  Another tweet later said: “IM BLESSED!! lay off of Caldwell he’s a great coach! Peace.”      If it isn't up to coach Caldwell who plays, who  is it up to?? Bill Polian evidently is at it again:   http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/29/released-colts-cornerback-says-caldwell-doesnt-make-lineup-decisions/        Here's are some classic fan comments on Caldwell, Polian, and the Colts:  1.) This is no surprise at all to me. Caldwell is a janitor, nothing more; 2.) What exactly does Caldwell do??? Polian decides who’s on the team. Manning ran the offense. How can the loss of one player equal a meltdown?; 3.) Ever since Polian made the decision to tank the Jets & Bill’s games in 2009 everyone knew that Caldwell was just a person for press briefings; 4.) A coaches responsibility is to ensure the best players are on the field and Tryon was LIGHT YEARS better than Jacob “10 yards cushion on 3rd and 2″ Lacey. all  this does is confirm what we’ve known for years – that Polian is really the one running the show and whatever Tryon did to offend Polian, he is clearly flexing his institutional muscle here...Now watch Tryon sign with the Patriots and become a star ..figures; 5.) LOL...does Al Davis run the Colts too?? This would explain why he hasn’t been around the Raiders alot this offseason and season. He’s been busy turning the Colts into a dumpster fire. Oh well, as long as Oakland keeps getting better; 6.) We all know the Polians run this team. Just like Jerry Jones in Dallas and Al Deadvis in Oakland; 7.) Look at Colts.Com to see whose running things : Staff: James Irsay, Owner and CEO Bill Polian, Vice Chairman Carlie Irsay-Gordon, Vice President Casey Irsay Foyt, Vice President Kalen Irsay, Vice President Football Operations Chris Polian, Vice President and General Manager Hey, nepotism works if you don’t demand excellence; 8.) Hi, I’m Jim Irsay, the Colts owner and yes I’ve been drinking:); 9.) What I want to know is, why is an owner of a professional sports team responding to what a former player said,…………… on TWITTER!; 10.) If Polian ever gets into the HOF, Matt Millen should give the induction speech for him.      LOL!!!!  
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

I'm fairly certain that Caldwell STILL hasn't had a different facial expression... he might not even be a figurehead.  He might be a mannequin... or worse, a ZOMBIE

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]TP In defense of the Colts: For a decade the team has done great under Manning and Polian and now with Manning out and the team 0-3 everyone is picking on them and saying: you f*cked up, you should have done it differently. Well, where were all those critics when the team was wracking up victory after victory? It seems selfish, egotistical to assume a holier than thou position and then scapegoat Jim Caldwell as the problem. This has nothing to do with Caldwell, it has to do only with Manning being injured. The reality is that each team has their own varying management dynamics and are run like family businesses. For example, Pete Carmichael the offensive coordinator of the Saints never calls any plays, that is reserved for Shaun McDonough. Should we just call Pete a gofer? No, the reality is Pete makes the team run behind the scenes in his own detailed, but relaxed way. Should we really expect Caldwell to challenge Polian and Irsay? Could anyone have the expertise to run the offense the way Manning does? Caldwell fills a useful buffer role necessary on the Colts.    
    Posted by NYC[/QUOTE]

Though I don't think much of Caldwell as a coach, I can agree that making him the lone scapegoat for the Indy mess isn't fair. But, I can't agree with giving Bill Polian a pass...just because things were clicking with Manning at the helm. He's failed to reinforce his OL and DL due to some horrific drafts...and there's simply no excuse for not grooming a competent back-up QB to eventually take over for Manning. Keeping the likes of Jim Sorgi and Curtis Painter to fill the bill was Millen-esque.

Furthermore, signing an injured Peyton to that multi-million dollar mega-deal, before knowing the full extent of his injury problems, was criminal. Either the Colts' medical staff mis-diagnosed his condition...or management failed to perform their due diligence in ordering a thorough examination of Manning, prior to the signing. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevin13130. Show kevin13130's posts

Get Tryon over here. We need a decent cornerback.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TroyBrown80. Show TroyBrown80's posts

He's not even a real person.  He is an animatronic figure they have on loan from Disneyworld.  Fivehead controls him telepathically.  That is why he has been so clueless with Fivehead gone, Kerry Collins couldn't master the complex robot controls.  That is why Fivehead is returning.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Just makes me appreciate BB more. Dont you think if BB was doing "funny stuff" that Lawyer Milloy, Richard Seymore, Shawn Crable or many others would have said something when they left? Seymore could still trash BB to this day if he wanted but he doesn't.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Caldwell Merely a Figurehead in Indy? : Daniel, David and Joshua are part of the Kraft Group that owns the Pats but they are not associated with a position on the team.  Big difference.  The Kraft Group has other businesses besides the Pats and that's what the other three are involved in.  Not really apples and apples here.
    Posted by garytx[/QUOTE]

Due respect Gary, I call BS.  The entire kraft family is involved in the family business no differently than the irsay family is.  The point was about nepotism, and it clearly runs rampant in NE as well. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]TP In defense of the Colts: For a decade the team has done great under Manning and Polian and now with Manning out and the team 0-3 everyone is picking on them and saying: you f*cked up, you should have done it differently. Well, where were all those critics when the team was wracking up victory after victory? It seems selfish, egotistical to assume a holier than thou position and then scapegoat Jim Caldwell as the problem. This has nothing to do with Caldwell, it has to do only with Manning being injured. The reality is that each team has their own varying management dynamics and are run like family businesses. For example, Pete Carmichael the offensive coordinator of the Saints never calls any plays, that is reserved for Shaun McDonough. Should we just call Pete a gofer? No, the reality is Pete makes the team run behind the scenes in his own detailed, but relaxed way. Should we really expect Caldwell to challenge Polian and Irsay? Could anyone have the expertise to run the offense the way Manning does? Caldwell fills a useful buffer role necessary on the Colts.    
    Posted by NYC[/QUOTE]
    NYC - this is much less about what TP thinks than what he wants to accomplish. 

What I've learned over time is that TP really doesn't have much of his own opinion unless he's got an axe to grind.  Generally he takes a position based on an article he's read.  

In this case he's got an axe to grind.  As I said before, and others here agreed with, the pats had no idea that Cassell was going to work as well as he did.  Maybe with Painter getting a true chance, he will perform better than he's shown and prove Polian wrong about going out and getting Collins. 

He'll get his first chance Monday.  I wish him well.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

I'm not sure why Indy didn't fire Caldwell last year. The teams performance had deteriorated over his 2 year span and Manning was the only glue holding the team together. It's almost a guarantee now that Caldwell will be let go by the end of this season but much like an old house this Colts team may be in complete disrepair. It also makes me think of the Cowboys when Jimmy Johnson hit the road. Switzer came in and won with Johnson's team but after that they started going down hill little by little and have never quite recovered. Jerry Jones thought he was the man bringing in the talent and he could stick any coach in and win but that has proven to be falacy. Does Polian also believe this? Big Mistake if he does. Polian is most likely sitting back thinking, "We're skkrewed and the best thing that could happen to us is to get a top #1 next year and pick Andrew Luck..Quite honestly, if I was an Indy Fan that's what I'd be hoping for also. He's going to let the team crash and burn for a year, then fire Caldwell and if he's lucky Manning will be able to come back next year to get Luck some learning time under a hall of famer.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

Tex, I would have to agree with you, Irsay & manning run things. Caldwell is a puppet 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Who is Justin Tyron?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Caldwell Merely a Figurehead in Indy? : Due respect Gary, I call BS.  The entire kraft family is involved in the family business no differently than the irsay family is.  The point was about nepotism, and it clearly runs rampant in NE as well. 
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

Your point may have been about nepotism but TexPats point was nepotism within the Colts franchise which means hands on operations of the Colts.  Not so with NE.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

[QUOTE]I'm not sure why Indy didn't fire Caldwell last year. The teams performance had deteriorated over his 2 year span and Manning was the only glue holding the team together. It's almost a guarantee now that Caldwell will be let go by the end of this season but much like an old house this Colts team may be in complete disrepair. It also makes me think of the Cowboys when Jimmy Johnson hit the road. Switzer came in and won with Johnson's team but after that they started going down hill little by little and have never quite recovered. Jerry Jones thought he was the man bringing in the talent and he could stick any coach in and win but that has proven to be falacy. Does Polian also believe this? Big Mistake if he does. Polian is most likely sitting back thinking, "We're skkrewed and the best thing that could happen to us is to get a top #1 next year and pick Andrew Luck..Quite honestly, if I was an Indy Fan that's what I'd be hoping for also. He's going to let the team crash and burn for a year, then fire Caldwell and if he's lucky Manning will be able to come back next year to get Luck some learning time under a hall of famer.
    Posted by Rerun85[/QUOTE]

While Jimmy Johnson's departure was a blow to the Cowboys it was FA that dismantled the team.  Jerry couldn't keep everybody and man that team was deep!  Poor drafting and a couple of injuries along the way and whamo, it's over.  That's why the pundits at the time said there would never be another dynasty in football again.