Calm down guys, here's the good news on the Moss trade

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Re: Calm down guys, here's the good news on the Moss trade

I thought Troy Brown knew his stuff.  I guess some of you think he's retarded?

While the majority of callers to WEEI on Wednesday morning were upset about the Patriots trading Randy Moss to Minnesota, former New England great Troy Brown went on the Dale and Holley show and offered a different take: It's a "win-win for both parties." 

Brown said it will force the Patriots to play the "methodical" type of football that helped them be so successful during their Super Bowl years, and it will make "all the players be accountable." 

And for Moss, he said, it will be an opportunity to play with legendary gunslinger Brett Favre and have an immediate impact on a talented team. 

Brown, who played for the Patriots from 1993 to 2007, pointed to the 2001-2005 seasons when Tom Brady had to look for the open receivers and "hit seven or eight guys" in a game. He said that type of offense makes everyone work harder, including the defense. 

He thinks Brady may actually be better off without having Moss as an option and having to try to always go for the "big play" as opposed to consistently spreading the ball down the field. 

Brown pointed out that the Patriots have the players this year to run that type of offense, citing the athleticism of rookies Aaron Hernandez and Rob Gronkowski and the talent of receivers Brandon Tate, Wes Welker and Julien Edelman. 

With the roster the Patriots had last year, Brown said, coach Bill Belichick never would have made this move. 

Brown acknowledged that Wednesday's news will be a distraction for Patriots players, but that it's helpful that this is a bye week for New England. He said 
    the Patriots "have about two weeks to get over it," and hopefully in the long run the distraction will be less than if a disgruntled Moss stayed in New England.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

In Response to Re: Calm down guys, here's the good news on the Moss trade:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Calm down guys, here's the good news on the Moss trade : Thanks for a little bit of sanity. I tend to agree with you. Although Moss was valuable in terms of opening the field for this offense so we could execute the underneath, I still think are enough weapons in the stable to be productive and win games. However, it seems that every good/great team has a long ball threat. Look at the Saints, Colts, Ravens,etc....so the question I have is if we have lost our homerun hitter (albeit one with aging legs), who is stepping up to stretch the field so Welker, Edelman, Gronk, Hernandez, Woody, etc. can catch underneath? All of a sudden teams we play only have to dedicate a CB to our deep guy and not a safety, which means the safety can play more inside the box and make the underneath/intermediate routes that much more difficult to obtain.  Look, at the end of the day, I think it had to be done. Moss was not here mentally and we need to move on. I'm just trying to get my head around who is going to be the guy that keeps defenses spread out and not clumped in the middle....Any takers?
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

Well, we don't really know but I have to believe that BB et al., must think that Tate and perhaps Price are the guys to run long and fast. The question is, can they catch?  We are all going to get a chance to see that in two weeks.  Until then, its all speculation.  Who knows, maybe something else goes down.

However, I recall that once upon a time there was no speed burner here in the back to back SB years, I recall that if you wanted a first down, you threw it to Givens at the first down marker and he'd catch it and keep drives alive.  There are many ways to get things done and BB is really a high percentage kind of guy.  We used to get it done with guys like Branch, (really a possession receiver), Troy Brown, (same thing), Patten, (again), and some others who came and went.  Its about percentages.

Personally I'm looking forward to seeing what happens and hoping I'll be pleased.  If not, oh well....  Its not like we stop watching.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

If not, oh well....  Its not like we stop watching.

If not we have 2 1st and 2 2nd round picks coming up

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

What I see here is the divide between those who say "I WANT MY SUPERBOWL RIGHT NOW AND RANDY MOSS IS THE ONLY WAY TO GET IT!!!!  BWA HA BWA and those who say there is more than one way to move a football down the field.  There is you know and in the BB era we've seen about three or four different ways to get it done but we have forgotten that due to the 2007 season and we didn't win a super bowl that year. In fact the SB loss that year was one of the most deflating losses I've ever been through.  The loss to the JETS this year was close to that for me and Randy the savior was on the field.  Some say he was the problem as Brady targeted him over and over, killing drives to try and get him the ball.

Look, I love Randy Moss, he's been great but he's gone.  Who's next?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

[QUOTE]If not, oh well....  Its not like we stop watching. If not we have 2 1st and 2 2nd round picks coming up
    Posted by Evil2010[/QUOTE]

BB owns the next draft, two in the first, two in the second, two in the third and two in the fourth I think.  Maybe they pick up an impact guy in the next week or so, who knows.

Love your avatar.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from expertmike. Show expertmike's posts

2. We actually have to PLAY MN on 10/31. Does anyone here think Moss is not gonna be up for this game to teach BB and Kraft a lesson? 

------------------
    Randy should have nothing by gratitude for BB.  BB could could have exiled him to the bench (or maybe the practice squad, or suspended him for the season, not sure about the rules) -- and gotten pretty much the same 3rd round draft choice for the Man-Child.  And if there's a strike next year, the Man-Child's career might be over.  BB gave him the oppty to extend his career, to get what the Man-Child wanted, with nothing in return for the Pat (other than the compensation pick the Pats were going to receive anyway).   BB showed the selfish child how a man handles himself. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BelichickDisciple. Show BelichickDisciple's posts

We have no way of knowing what went on behind the scenes. I am sure that BB did what he thought was best for the team, and Moss should get a warm welcome in Minn... Hopefully they (and we) both make out all right.

I trust that the coaching staff is doing the right thing. It should be interesting to see how this story unfolds.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1024us. Show m1024us's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Calm down guys, here's the good news on the Moss trade : Maybe it's a divide between those that say "Slurp slurp, yes Master Belichick, whatever you want, everything you do is correct, slurp slurp". and those that say "Wait a minute Randy. I am not done sniffing your jock...please don't leave!  Slurp, slurp.  Randy, I love you...slurp, slurp.....Randy I want you......will you have my baby?". Being critical does mean we're not good fans.
    Posted by murghkhor[/QUOTE]

I fixed your idiotic post to make better sense....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Calm down guys, here's the good news on the Moss trade : Maybe it's a divide between those that say "Slurp slurp, yes Master Belichick, whatever you want, everything you do is correct, slurp slurp". and those that say "Wait a minute. Is he just driving this guy out of town for a stupid lowly 3rd rd pick for stupidly flimsy rationale on a deal that doesn't quite make sense". Being critical doesn't mean we're not good fans.
    Posted by murghkhor[/QUOTE]

Agreed on being critical doesn't mean your not good fans and I wasn't addressing you but rather a lot of other posts I've seen on so many threads where there is no analysis, just a lot of weeping. 

I think that Moss going to the Vikes will not get them where they want to go.  Old = old in the NFL and Farvre is old and Moss is going there.  He can still run but I didn't see him breaking away from a lot of DB's, they're running with him.  He got past Revis but then there was that hammy.  Cormartie shut him down in single coverage.  Not single catch last week and it wasn't for want of looking to go there.  Go look at the tape.

Finally and once again, he'll be thirty four for next season which may not happen and thirty five for the next one, assuming that there's 2012 season.  Why give him an extended multi-million dollar contract, which he was lobbying for?