Can Guyton set the Edge?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

Can Guyton set the Edge?

We all know he has the speed to get to the QB, and can certainly cover in space. But is he strong enough to set the edge on the running game. If so, this defense could become scary. If Chung can step it up in year 2 and either Lewis or Warren, on the D-Line. Look for a faster more aggresive style from the Pats this year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

Re: Can Guyton set the Edge?

well he's 6-3, 245, and if he was moved outside i'd imagine he could up it to say 250-255.  That being said, in short, eh no.  Guyton struggled last year to get off the blocks of centers and guards, imagine what an nfl quality left tackle would do once he got his mits on him.  The thought is intriguing because Guyton has great range, but he'd be a massive liability on run downs (though he already is one imo) and we have no idea what sort of pass rush repertoire he has. My 2c

Pass rush is the only area on the Pats roster where I'm still fairly concerned, unless the immortal Sean Crable decides to make an appearance 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I think the addition of Spikes and potential return of McKenzie will reduce his playing time significantly.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

I can't see him becming big enough to play a 3-4 OLB and still maintaining his speed. He would be a pretty solid 4-3 OLB though so on plays where BB employes the 4-3 he will likely be one of the OLB's.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

McKenzie is the big "?"... I think he will be ready to contribute... maybe Guyton is just good depth this year and trade bait later.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I've said this a number of times IMHO Guyton is a SS looking to happen! He has all the tools necessary to become a great SS. Speed,hitting capacity,and he has a working knowledge of the game. Quit trying to make him into something he's not,a linebacker! The surprises of this years camp will be Deaderick,Anderson and Fletcher,but especially Fletcher he's the guy who will take up the spot at OLB.Tedy Bruschi junior!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Too small and weak. They tried him there in 2008 against the Seahawks and he was easily blown off the ball. Pierre Woods is a much better option.

I agree with MB that Guyton will see less playing time. This is a good thing since he's not a masher at ILB. He'll be great as a coverage LB on passing downs.

I'm thinking they have a plan to get some more qualified bodies at OLB.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Based on a small body of work, I don't think Guyton can hold up on the outside against the run...he is not an edge setter. 
    I also question McKenzie's ability to do so. After all, they are roughly the same size, Guyton being an inch taller. 

The OLB spot is the great unknown. Safe to say we have ILB spot covered and covered well. From a pure physical standpoint, Cunningham and Crable would be ideal at the position. Problem is either of them have played. Then we could use Mayo/Spikes inside, and rotate McKenzie and Guyton in or out depending on down and distance.

Question for the group....Could Mayo be moved outside, and leave Spikes/McKenzie inside? 

Personally, I don't feel comfortable going  into the season with Cunningham, Crable, TBC and Ninkovich as my OLB's. I think Cunningham will be solid, jury is out on Crable, but TBC and Ninkovich are situational/depth guys. I could very much see the Pats bringing back Burgess and/or acquiring an OLB when cuts are made. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Here's one for you.....Lets play Guyton at Safety. His speed is better or equal to our current safeties, we could bring him up to the line for safety blitzes, and he could crush WR's before they got off the line. Perhaps a bit crazy, but my point is because of Guyton's size and speed, he could be used very creatively by BB. Kind of like what we envisioned for AD when we brought him in. I for one never bought how versatile AD was. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

Replacing Niko with a better player would be the Key...like OSi...or someone of that irk.  Does Oakland have an OLB we can look at...as they just picked up a big Lb.  How about NYG?  They have too many on the Dline now...as does Indy...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

<In Dwight Schrute fashion>

Question: What does "setting the edge" mean?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

My understanding of setting the edge is having the ability (OLBs) to stand up against OL and TE's, turning the RB back inside where our other players can make plays on him and not letting the RB string it out and run basically around the outside of the defense. The idea is to turn the runner back inside toward our positions of strength. 
    I believe this to be correct, but my name is not Webster.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

In Response to Re: Can Guyton set the Edge?:
    My understanding of setting the edge is having the ability (OLBs) to stand up against OL and TE's, turning the RB back inside where our other players can make plays on him and not letting the RB string it out and run basically around the outside of the defense. The idea is to turn the runner back inside toward our positions of strength.  I believe this to be correct, but my name is not Webster.
    Posted by PatsLifer

Good definition.  OLBs have the  responsibility to "contain" the play, of keeping the play inside of the tackles and not letting a RB (or QB on a pass play) get outside to string the play along.  They take the outside away let the ILBs or others make the play.       

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

My understanding of setting the edge is having the ability (OLBs) to stand up against OL and TE's, turning the RB back inside where our other players can make plays on him and not letting the RB string it out and run basically around the outside of the defense. The idea is to turn the runner back inside toward our positions of strength.  I believe this to be correct, but my name is not Webster.
    Posted by PatsLifer

Ya, it's about not getting "hooked" inside by the TE or tackle (whoever is on the end of the line)....for a good example of NOT setting the edge, watch Adalius Thomas on run downs from 2008-2009.  Someone who sets the edge well can either stretch the run play farther outside than the offense wants, giving everyone on D a better angle at the ball carrier, or as you just said turn the play back inwards so the big uglys can handle things. It's very noticeable if your looking for it on run downs 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

<In Dwight Schrute fashion /> Question: What does "setting the edge" mean?
    Posted by apdynasty23

LOL..Don't forget that Dwight also has the corresponding answer to all of his quetsions.

I.E.- Answer: Turning the runner back inside when he's trying to get around the end.

TBC Used to have trouble setting the edge but really seemed to improve on that last year. I hope Guyton can do the same.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

In Response to Re: Can Guyton set the Edge? : LOL..Don't forget that Dwight also has the corresponding answer to all of his quetsions. I.E.- Answer: Turning the runner back inside when he's trying to get around the end. TBC Used to have trouble setting the edge but really seemed to improve on that last year. I hope Guyton can do the same.
    Posted by ewhite1065

True! HAHA!

"If I were in the NFL, which I wouldn't be, voluntarily, because it's stupid, since there are no swords or cannons involved, I wouldn't need to set an edge. I'd just bring down the back before he touched the ball. Problem solved."

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

It's not the 6'3" that worries me as much as the 245.

Guyton struggled on the outside at the end of 2008, hence the Roosevelt Colvin don't-call-it-a-comeback

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffectredux. Show mosseffectredux's posts

he hasnt shown anything yet,since he has been here.maybe he wakes up this year,or he is just guyton the guy who has been on the roster.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Guyton lacks the bulk and power to go up against big blockers and that makes him less effective at setting the edge and also less effective as a pass rusher.  For those reasons, he's not an ideal OLB in a 3-4 (or for that matter, an ideal inside LB in either 3-4 or 4-3).  That said, BB started him at OLB at least three games last season and I wouldn't be surprised if BB continues to experiment with him there this coming season, especially if we don't pick up any OLBs other than the ones already on the roster.  If Guyton could add a bit of bulk, get better at shedding blocks and fighting the big bodies up front, and get a bit more nifty in his pass rush moves, his other skills (pass coverage, pursuit, tackling, intelligence) would make him a pretty decent OLB I think.  Those are pretty big ifs, but I don't think Guyton's playing more OLB is completely out of the question yet, particularly given his speed and abilities in pass coverage.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

Here's one for you.....Lets play Guyton at Safety. His speed is better or equal to our current safeties, we could bring him up to the line for safety blitzes, and he could crush WR's before they got off the line. Perhaps a bit crazy, but my point is because of Guyton's size and speed, he could be used very creatively by BB. Kind of like what we envisioned for AD when we brought him in. I for one never bought how versatile AD was. 
    Posted by PatsLifer
    I love that Idea, If he is willing to make the Change. That could be Dynamic

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

If Guyton can bulk up and get stronger he would make a good OLB with his speed but he needs to get bigger or hoe wont shed blockers.
    Posted by MVPKilla2009
    Getting Bigger and stronger would be nice. It looks to me that TBC just improved on his Technique, more than adding more weight.I think Guyton can do this.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Supernova13. Show Supernova13's posts

I do not think he has the strength to set the edge. If he suddenly showed up to Foxboro putting up 30 reps at 225, then certainly. But what he is best suited for is 3rd down situations as a coverage linebacker. Spikes can play downs 1 and 2, and Guyton can play 3rd. Not sure what to do with McKenzie though.