Can Jeff Demps make a big difference in the return game?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

Can Jeff Demps make a big difference in the return game?

Alot was made about the pats signing demps last offseason, only to see him injured in the pre-season and put on the shelf the rest of the season. After watching DMC return kicks this season and struggle mightily, i cant wait to see demps involved on special teams. The pats offense seemed like, had to start at or inside the 20 after every kickoff this year and in years past as well. Hopefully he is another playmaker for this team, they desperately need a return man.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

Re: Can Jeff Demps make a big difference in the return game?

Get anyone else back there besides McCourty! It is a glaring weakness for this team. Edelman can do the job but it is inevitable that he will get hurt again. As he is important to the offense maybe we should save him for that. Why not, lets give Demps another shot.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

How nkce would it be to get some production out of Demps.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I am sure BB brings in additional comp to the return game. He wont give the job, someone has to earn it

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I'd rather them just leave the human magnet (McCourty) back there. Has anyone ever seen a guy attract so many people towards himself on a return?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I'd rather them just leave the human magnet (McCourty) back there. Has anyone ever seen a guy attract so many people towards himself on a return?

yea i cant believe he is so bad on returns

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

I dont think the plan was ever for Demps to play last season, except in the hopeful minds of some fans. The guy had been training as an Olympic runner for over a year, having not done a ton of upper body strength training or touched a football much in that time, never mind learning the playbook. Got to think that BB saw him as a longer term project, not an immediate impact guy. The injury in training camp was a bonus, they didn't need to put him on the practice squad.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Yeah, Demps and Edelman(if the fool can stay healthy a full season) should be welcome additions to Special Teams. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to BostonSportsFan111's comment:

I dont think the plan was ever for Demps to play last season, except in the hopeful minds of some fans. The guy had been training as an Olympic runner for over a year, having not done a ton of upper body strength training or touched a football much in that time, never mind learning the playbook. Got to think that BB saw him as a longer term project, not an immediate impact guy. The injury in training camp was a bonus, they didn't need to put him on the practice squad.

I agree.  He was a sprinter when they signed him, not built or conditioned to the punishment of NFL hits.  I think they knew this and gave him a year to bulk & study up.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to BostonSportsFan111's comment:

I don't know, I think it was more of a numbers game with him...who were we going to cut? Woodhead? Vareen? They needed to keep at least two bigger runners (and they did), but they couldn't keep three third down backs.

Don't sell this guy short - he can play football - he's not just some sprinter. He has football speed to go along with that world class speed. His legs don't stop moving and he knows how and when to shorten his stride to get through traffic. Yeah, he's too small, but man this is not just a sprinter playing football.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from brazilnut. Show brazilnut's posts

I think he can definitely make a difference in the return game.  He can get up to speed very quickly and if he gets a lane he could take it all the way.  He can also be a good receiver out of the backfield or line him up as a wideout.  The guy can flat out fly.  He actually played pretty good last year in the preseason game in Tampa, which I was able to attend.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:

Alot was made about the pats signing demps last offseason, only to see him injured in the pre-season and put on the shelf the rest of the season. After watching DMC return kicks this season and struggle mightily, i cant wait to see demps involved on special teams. The pats offense seemed like, had to start at or inside the 20 after every kickoff this year and in years past as well. Hopefully he is another playmaker for this team, they desperately need a return man.

I regularly watch the blocking on the KO return team and I have to say it has been terrible most of the time. Way to many breakdowns on a regular basis. I think it is the special teams coach. Evidently he is as effective as the DB coaches.

Having said that perhaps having a game breaker would inspire better blocking. But McCourty has the speed so it is not just speed. In the long run I think we do need a better returned than McCourty and it Might be Demps but who knows right now. And whoever it is we will need MUCH improved blocking.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

So... having just read the rest of the posts I see many simply blame McCourty for being bad. Well, I do not think he is anything special - though he can break one once a season or so. But the really big problem is in REALLY poor blocking. If you do not get a bunch of blocks you wont get anywhere. And the Pats mostly do not block on KO returns.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

If only he were a human magnet when he plays DB. Somebody tell him you run to the other guy on defense and away from them on returns.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

Wins and having a great QB sometimes hide some deficiencies...

THIS TEAM IS  VERY BAD AT Kick returns AND Punt returns.

If Demps can be Above middle of the pack... that could mean a great news for this team.

go Demps !!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

Pats were 5th in the league in punt returns with a 12.0 average. They were 25th in KO returns.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaxpat. Show jaxpat's posts

In response to jam757's comment:

Get anyone else back there besides McCourty! It is a glaring weakness for this team. Edelman can do the job but it is inevitable that he will get hurt again. As he is important to the offense maybe we should save him for that. Why not, lets give Demps another shot.

I believe Demps was put on injured reserve basically to red shirt him for the next season.

He has outstanding raw skills but still a little green.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brawny27. Show Brawny27's posts

Jeff Demps would bring a very much needed speed and good return element,that the Patriots have not had in years!...can't keep puting ,McCourty, and Welker back there,save them for their starting jobs.Pats would do good to draft a speed guy also.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

Demps has to put on muscle. Maybe that's why Bill IR'ed him...

I still remember one of the first preseason games where Zak Deossie basically pat him on the back and he went down...

Gotta get stronger...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

If only he were a human magnet when he plays DB. Somebody tell him you run to the other guy on defense and away from them on returns.

Thing is when he isn't 10 yards away giving up huge plays he's interfering and giving up huge plays.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

In response to mannyortez3424's comment:

Demps has to put on muscle. Maybe that's why Bill IR'ed him...

I still remember one of the first preseason games where Zak Deossie basically pat him on the back and he went down...

Gotta get stronger...

he does and i'd bet thats exactly what he's doing. he dropped quite a bit of weight for the olympics and shouldn't have a problem putting it back on