Can Josh Boyce be our Percy Harvin?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Can Josh Boyce be our Percy Harvin?

No, I am not saying Boyce is in the same league as Percy Harvin! What I am asking is can Boyce do for us what Harvin did for the 'Hawks in the Super Bowl? He was electric, and lit a fire under that team but his primary contributions were on running plays where they gave him the ball and let his speed do the rest, and the kick off return. I remember watching Harvin (who I thought was going to be MVP) and thinking why cant we call plays like that for Boyce this year? Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Re: Can Josh Boyce be our Percy Harvin?

Asking the Pats to think "out of the box".  Do they, really?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

If he can stay healthy he can really help our offense, IMO.  I know he hasn't had a chance to show much yet, but based on his skillset I think he can be a real asset on those type of plays.  Gotta get that foot fully healed, though.  Same with Dobson.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Can he? Sure. Will he? F'n prove it

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

No, I am not saying Boyce is in the same league as Percy Harvin! What I am asking is can Boyce do for us what Harvin did for the 'Hawks in the Super Bowl? He was electric, and lit a fire under that team but his primary contributions were on running plays where they gave him the ball and let his speed do the rest, and the kick off return. I remember watching Harvin (who I thought was going to be MVP) and thinking why cant we call plays like that for Boyce this year? Thoughts?

Even if he COULD, would the pats coaching staff be smart enough to use him? I mean Edleman can run reverses but where was the reverses when Denvers linebackers were all flowing to the ball?  Nowhere. I predicted the seahawks would exploit that with Harvin running reverses so the answer is yes, Boyce could do that for us although he isnt as stout as Harvin, he does have speed and moves but A.) will the coaches get creative enough and B.) will the guy be healthy and trusted on the field.

Wake me up when Josh gets creative again.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

He has a lot of suck to wash off, over the off-season.  We had 3 rooks who didn't progress one iota over the course of a season.  They started off as deer in headlights and finished as injured deer in headlights.  

What are the odds of having 3 whiffs in one season?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Call me crazy but Boyce, being a fairly strong fellow, and very quick off the ball, should get a very serious look at the SR next season.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I never looked at Boyce's combine numbers.  His athleticism is superior to Harvin's. 

40 yard dash:  4.38 versus Harvin's 4.41

Bench press:  22 reps versus Harvin's 19.

Harvin didn't compete in any more events at the combine.

Boyce was a star performer in the combine broad jump, in the 3-cone (that's what got BB's attention!) and in the 60 yard shuttle.

This is despite Boyce outweighing Harvin 206 pounds to 199.  Bigger players should run slower.  On the other hand, bigger players are harder to tackle and get more YACs.

So the answer is, if Boyce can blossom in his sophomore year as often happens, yes, he can do a Percy Harvin. 

About 5 years ago I was noting that Julian Edelman had a better 3-cone time than Wes Welker, although he had zero experience as a wide receiver.  Welker leaves, then Edelman comes in and catches 100 passes. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Yes, he's talented and has all the physical tools to be a WR like Cruz or Harvin, but he's not working that book. Also, he came in with a bad foot and never recovered. Similar to Dobson and his hammy/foot.

Both guys could be huge. I have Dobson making a 60 catches, 1000+ yards and 7+ TDs with less than 4 drops next season. Boyce...we shall see.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

He has a lot of suck to wash off, over the off-season.  We had 3 rooks who didn't progress one iota over the course of a season.  They started off as deer in headlights and finished as injured deer in headlights.  

[/QUOTE]

When Dobson was on the field he was better than average. He is actually a fairly exciting prospect. To be fair to Thompkins he was a 25 yo URFA what do expect?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Boyce has the physical tools to be like a Percy harvin. I agree that McD needs to think a bit more creatively in how they use him. Maybe next year he will. I really think his injury set him back a bit. I am more excited by Boyce's potential than any other pats receiver. I think Boyce could be more versatile than Hernandez In our offense If they decide to use him like a Swiss Army knife. I think we already know he can line up wide or in the slot, but how about out of the backfield like Vereen? Get him in motion and a head start and he will fly around the corner. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they do actually. There aren't many teams in the history of the NFL more innovative on offense. Heck, half this board wishes they were more conventional, kind of like Seattle.

It's not like Seattle broke any rules with Harvin, an end around and a pass in the flat? Whoa! The guy made them work for nice yards because he's got skills. They're a vanilla offense compared to the Pats.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

This is what I've learned from reading this thread:

*The Pats lack innovation

*The Pats coaching staff are essentially too dumb to effectively employ an offensive weapon at their disposal

*The Pats 2nd rd draft choice w/r made zero progress over the course of the season and neither did the UDFA (32 rec, 466 yd, 4 TDs, 1 a game winner)

Apparently I simply am much too much of a homer to see these systemic flaws.  Thank you for pointing them out.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

*The Pats coaching staff are essentially too dumb to effectively employ an offensive weapon at their disposal

*The Pats 2nd rd draft choice w/r made zero progress over the course of the season and neither did the UDFA (32 rec, 466 yd, 4 TDs, 1 a game winner)

Apparently I simply am much too much of a homer to see these systemic flaws.  Thank you for pointing them out.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, it's not like they'd know what to do if they ever got dynamic offensive players, like say a Randy Moss or some big, fast tight end. Imagine the Pats running a no huddle? Never happen.

That's why they haven't won the SB in nine years, their offense is too conservative. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I never looked at Boyce's combine numbers.  His athleticism is superior to Harvin's. 

Boyce was a star performer in the combine broad jump, in the 3-cone (that's what got BB's attention!) and in the 60 yard shuttle.

This is despite Boyce outweighing Harvin 206 pounds to 199.  Bigger players should run slower.  On the other hand, bigger players are harder to tackle and get more YACs.

So the answer is, if Boyce can blossom in his sophomore year as often happens, yes, he can do a Percy Harvin. 

About 5 years ago I was noting that Julian Edelman had a better 3-cone time than Wes Welker, although he had zero experience as a wide receiver.  Welker leaves, then Edelman comes in and catches 100 passes. 

[/QUOTE]

Shuttle times have always been high on BB's list of measurables he looks for. More so then top end speed. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they do actually. There aren't many teams in the history of the NFL more innovative on offense. Heck, half this board wishes they were more conventional, kind of like Seattle.

It's not like Seattle broke any rules with Harvin, an end around and a pass in the flat? Whoa! The guy made them work for nice yards because he's got skills. They're a vanilla offense compared to the Pats.

[/QUOTE]

There's my answer.  I thought they did and put the question out there to see who would actually say they do.  As you note, going to the spread offense, high tempo, pass all over the field, going to the 2 TE monster, while eschewing a power type running attack in which the pass is complimentary, has gotten the goat of many here.  You know Rusty.. he hates the spread and shot-gun.  I can see it now in which the Pats did use Boyce in the manner described and if it is not successful out of the chute, the team will get knocked for it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

How about depending on Brady too much to turn a frog into a pass catching prince?!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to PhatVirgin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Paul_K's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

if paper stats could only translate to on-the-field performance, we'd be golden Laughing

[/QUOTE]

Do we need to trot out the list of HOF or near HOF receivers who did nothing (much less than KT or Dobson, and not much more than Boyce) in their first year? Besides QB, it's the hardest position for rookies. Especially on a team like the Pats with a complex offense. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

How about depending on Brady too much to turn a frog into a pass catching prince?!

[/QUOTE]

Oh, of course.  Another shortcoming and I was remiss in not mentioning it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

sarcasm aside, you were happy with the offensive gameplan  vs Denver?  You dont think maybe One reverse would have helped keep the D honest? and that Edleman is capable of running it. Thats my only gripe. I never said the rookies were trash. They all showed promise but Ultimately werent there to help when needed. So its not like they dont deserve some critisism.  I mean I can name a bunch of rookie WRs who finished the year for their teams and made bigger impacts.  Dobson made the biggest catch of the game vs Denver yet was not inserted until the 4th series when the game was all but over. You are happy with all that? 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

There's my answer.  I thought they did and put the question out there to see who would actually say they do.  As you note, going to the spread offense, high tempo, pass all over the field, going to the 2 TE monster, while eschewing a power type running attack in which the pass is complimentary, has gotten the goat of many here.  You know Rusty.. he hates the spread and shot-gun.  I can see it now in which the Pats did use Boyce in the manner described and if it is not successful out of the chute, the team will get knocked for it.

[/QUOTE]

We'll see how they use him. I have a feeling he'll be fine. He has great speed and acceleration, great in the open field. He seemed to be a bit overwhelmed and then he got dinged. None of which is shocking. He'll need to get over that and learn the offense cold so he's not thinking too much. It's the same for all rookies, especially receivers.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Wow. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

yes, I think this is a very good call out. The Pats have not had a WR that can do what Boyce can do in a long time. He can take a reverse, screen pass or a 20 plus yard pass to the end zone on pure speed and elusiveness. He needs to stay healthy, learn the offense, and sync with TB...I never thought Harvis, but always thought Cruz (fast inside WR)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

On the Seahawks roster, I think Boyce is more comparable to Tate. I expect Boyce to be the better version.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

sarcasm aside, you were happy with the offensive gameplan  vs Denver?  You dont think maybe One reverse would have helped keep the D honest? and that Edleman is capable of running it. Thats my only gripe. I never said the rookies were trash. They all showed promise but Ultimately werent there to help when needed. So its not like they dont deserve some critisism.  I mean I can name a bunch of rookie WRs who finished the year for their teams and made bigger impacts.  Dobson made the biggest catch of the game vs Denver yet was not inserted until the 4th series when the game was all but over. You are happy with all that? 

[/QUOTE]

First, your comment was but one of several in this thread.  If it's your view that the offensive game plan against Denver was the reason that they lost then that's fine.  You're entitled to that view.  I happen to think a little better execution might have helped.  Brady (and I'm a huge fan of his) missed a wide open Edelman for a sure TD.  I offer that as an example.  I don't happen to agree that the Pats should have used Edelman on a reverse.  The last time they did he took a shot that put him in a lunar orbit of Neptune.  Was the game plan the problem in Denver?  IMO, no.

Second, the Pats offense is complex and not easy to learn.  To be honest, I don't think you could expect more from the rookie wideouts than what they delivered.  Happy with it?  I don't know if I'd say happy but I would say they performed about as well as we could reasonably expect.

Third, IMO the Pats, for whatever reason did not execute all that well on either side of the ball and that's why they got beat. 

Fourth, the New England Patriots over-achieved in the 2013 season given all that they had to deal with.  They got beat by a better Denver team.