Can we please commit to the run

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Can we please commit to the run

I know that some people will only look at the ypc average and not understand the full impact of committing to a running can do but this year has shown a perfect reason why it's important.

• Week 1 - 31 passes (47%)  35 runs result W
    • Week 2 - 46 passes (62.1%) 28 runs result L within 1 score going into 4th
    • Week 3 - 41 passes (54.6%) 34 runs result L leading going into 4th
    • Week 4 - 36 passes (48%) 39 runs result W
    • Week 5 - 31 passes (36.4%) 54 runs result W
    • Week 6 - 58 passes (69%) 26 runs result L leading going into 4th

You can't even say that they ran more because they were down. At most in all the games they were never down by more then a score going into the 4th and actually in 2 of the loses they had the lead a majority of the game. No I don't think 50/50 split means balance nor do I expect them to run more then pass, because it does depend on game plan and opponent, but clearly as been pointed out time and time again once we tend to get into that 60+% passing rate we tend to lose because teams stay in nickel and shut us down. We need to commit to the run even if it's not get a large chunk of yards because there is benefit to having a committed running game that exceeds the pure ypc numbers.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Re: Can we please commit to the run

solid work here Patseng.  That is exactly right, numbers don't lie here....they weren't committed to run at all yesterday. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Waste of time on this board Eng. Those that don't know, refuse to know, and those that do, don't want to get involved with lengthy responses explaining the impact of a run "commitment".

This game reminded me so much of the last few years. Not happy with the offense, and of course am not happy with the eventual defensive collapse in the 4rth qtr.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

And of course NOBODY wants to talk about the negative impact that throwing the ball 60 times(an NFL career high for our 35 year old QB) can have on your lead.

We're lucky Tommy is healthy after this game, and we're lucky he didn't throw 4 picks(rainy windy hostile environment). In regard to Brandon Lloyd...I have a bad feeling we were'nt so lucky. That AMAZING effort to catch that out of bounds ball may have cost him a few games, or more.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

Once again trying to pass blame on one side of the ball is simply short sighted.

I totally agree that passing 58 times is a joke. I totally agree no committing to the run is a huge mistake (especially with the talented backs we have right now). I agree that 1 for 6 in the redzone is completely unacceptable. Add in that the offense can't seem to get a few 1st downs at the end of the game is just horrible.

But.....and this is a HUGE BUT!! This defense is causing just as many bad outcomes. Giving up 7-8 huge pass plays over 20 yards in a single game is insane!! Giving up 1 or two of those is going to happen to a lot of teams...but 7-8 is flat out unacceptable. Not having the talent to turn their heads around while covering is just beyond frustrating. Missing tackles that should result in losses. Letting rookie QBs pass for 300 plus.

Both sides were cause for our loss yesterday. I will never understand why all the blame (MUST) go one way. This team needs to figure out there mistakes on both sides, and until they do, they deserve the 500 record they now own.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to tanbass' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Once again trying to pass blame on one side of the ball is simply short sighted.

I totally agree that passing 58 times is a joke. I totally agree no committing to the run is a huge mistake (especially with the talented backs we have right now). I agree that 1 for 6 in the redzone is completely unacceptable. Add in that the offense can't seem to get a few 1st downs at the end of the game is just horrible.

But.....and this is a HUGE BUT!! This defense is causing just as many bad outcomes. Giving up 7-8 huge pass plays over 20 yards in a single game is insane!! Giving up 1 or two of those is going to happen to a lot of teams...but 7-8 is flat out unacceptable. Not having the talent to turn their heads around while covering is just beyond frustrating. Missing tackles that should result in losses. Letting rookie QBs pass for 300 plus.

Both sides were cause for our loss yesterday. I will never understand why all the blame (MUST) go one way. This team needs to figure out there mistakes on both sides, and until they do, they deserve the 500 record they now own.

[/QUOTE]

This is not passing the blame on one side of the ball. The D was beyond awful in the second half but this is an easier fix then the D right now. The D might be what it is but committing to running the ball is something the Pats have done in the past and have the ability to do moving forward

Of course in the end I want both sides to be fixed but short term this is just low hanging fruit

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Waste of time on this board Eng. Those that don't know, refuse to know, and those that do, don't want to get involved with lengthy responses explaining the impact of a run "commitment".

This game reminded me so much of the last few years. Not happy with the offense, and of course am not happy with the eventual defensive collapse in the 4rth qtr.

[/QUOTE]

Waste of time on this board? I'm sorry TC but do we call the plays? Tell it to the coaching staff, wtf does it matter if the usual curmudgeons on here agree or disagree? A select few seem to have a big problem with how BB is running this team, so instead of whining on here for the next week go take it up with him. I can't read about this frigging topic anymore. Sorry I'm still a little surly from that crapfest yesterday..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to CaptainZdeno33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Waste of time on this board? I'm sorry TC but do we call the plays? Tell it to the coaching staff, wtf does it matter if the usual curmudgeons on here agree or disagree? A select few seem to have a big problem with how BB is running this team, so instead of whining on here for the next week go take it up with him. I can't read about this frigging topic anymore. Sorry I'm still a little surly from that crapfest yesterday..

[/QUOTE]

lol, vent all you want that's essentially all these posts are anyways. I'm frustrated because I see a problem and no way to fix it. I can't go to the staff, or BB, or Kraft to suggest these things, nor do I think I am smarter at football then any of them but when I see things like this I need some place to vent my frustrations and point these things out. That's the reason for fan forums anyways. Could you imagine how boring this board would be if we all wore ruby colored glasses. What I do find funny though are posters on a fan forum getting angry because as a fan you make suggestions on how the team could improve and saying completely silly things like saying that any poster thinks the know more then BB. Of course we don't but this is the only place to discuss how we think or favorite team can improve so I always say if a person wants to question whatever let them question whatever and if you don't like it either responsed with a thought out response or just plain and simply don't respond and don't open the thread. There are plenty of others to comment in

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

1st-10, NYG14 8:55 A. Bradshaw rushed to the right for 13 yard gain1st-10, NYG27 8:14 A. Bradshaw rushed to the left for 11 yard gain1st-10, NYG38 7:32 D. Wilson rushed to the left for 11 yard gain1st-10, NYG49 6:59 D. Wilson rushed to the right for 4 yard gain2nd-6, SF47 6:13 D. Wilson rushed to the right for 4 yard gain3rd-2, SF43 5:21 D. Wilson rushed up the middle for 20 yard gain1st-10, SF23 4:46 A. Bradshaw rushed up the middle for 3 yard gain2nd-7, SF20 3:53 A. Bradshaw rushed to the left for 5 yard gain3rd-2, SF15 3:09 A. Bradshaw rushed to the left for no gain4th-2, SF15 2:39 San Francisco committed 5 yard penalty1st-10, SF10 2:27 D. Wilson rushed up the middle for 3 yard loss2nd-13, SF13 2:19 D. Wilson rushed to the left for 4 yard gain3rd-9, SF9 2:01 D. Wilson rushed up the middle for 5 yard loss4th-14, SF14 1:56 L. Tynes kicked a 32-yard field goal
    That was NYG's last drive to RUN out the clock. Absolutely impressive drive when you consider it was against SF while SF was home. These are the type of drives that not only kill a lot of the clock, but deflate your opponent.
    The Pats can't do that...and they need to figure it out. It looks like this team can only run the ball against nickel defenses.Run it against a base defense, even if it only nets 3 yards per gain. Running the ball will tire out a defense. Passing the ball will have defenses licking their chops as they tee off on the QB

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He never returns my calls Captain.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

Although the game plan was horriable yersteday... when it came down to it they took the ball from Brady and went into thier conservatie run game and what happened. I'm all for the run game but it has to be unpredictable becuase putting your team at third and long in the rain is not smart.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to csylvia79's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Although the game plan was horriable yersteday... when it came down to it they took the ball from Brady and went into thier conservatie run game and what happened. I'm all for the run game but it has to be unpredictable becuase putting your team at third and long in the rain is not smart.

[/QUOTE]

They did it to late and that's the point. When you haven't been running all game you can't just flip the switch at a time when the opponent knows you are doing everything you can just to kill the clock. It doesn't work that way. You need to have a consistent running attack throughout the game, if for nothing else but to keep your RB and OL warmed up so when you need to run it you have a shot to

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He never returns my calls Captain.

[/QUOTE]

I'd like to see the same thing as you guys do but I'm tired of it filling the board and getting all the hits. PE suggests trying a different thread, but frankly, they're all unbearable right now lol. I will try to leave the sarcasm and annoyance at the door next time, rough morning.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Captain - on my threads bring all the sarcasm and annoyance you want, I don't really care. I created the thread out of my own frustration as I'm sure most have this rough morning. If it makes you feel better to get it out say whatever you like to say not an issue with me at all. After all if we couldn't let it get out this way then it could affect other things in our lifes much more important then a game we have no control over

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

We run more against bad teams.  Good defenes have owned our rushing attack.  At the end of the day we rolled up almost 500 yards of offense and 34 minutes of ToP on the top ranked D in the NFL.  The offense shot itself in the foot with stupid mistakes.  We get rid of even one of those and not only do we win that game, but we all crow about how we put up such ridiculous numbers against a the top ranked D.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We run more against bad teams.  Good defenes have owned our rushing attack.  At the end of the day we rolled up almost 500 yards of offense and 34 minutes of ToP on the top ranked D in the NFL.  The offense shot itself in the foot with stupid mistakes.  We get rid of even one of those and not only do we win that game, but we all crow about how we put up such ridiculous numbers against a the top ranked D.

[/QUOTE]

not sure if it was bb who said it... stats are for losers.

it certainly applied here

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

Here's 4 Red Zone 0 TD trips to look at...

First and 10 on the 15 - three consecutive pass plays 2 incomplete and the third a yard short of the 1st down marker. FG for 3

First and goal on the 9 - pass incomplete- pass incomplete - pass/intentional grounding

First and ten on the 19 - run for 6 - pass for -3 yards - pass for -1 yard FG for 3

First and ten on the 15 - run for 5 - run for 4 - pass for an INT

Out of these 4 series we ran 3 times for 15 yards and passed 9 times for a total of +5 yards, an intentional grounding and an INT

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:
    [QUOTE]

That was NYG's last drive to RUN out the clock. Absolutely impressive drive when you consider it was against SF while SF was home. These are the type of drives that not only kill a lot of the clock, but deflate your opponent.
    The Pats can't do that...and they need to figure it out. It looks like this team can only run the ball against nickel defenses.Run it against a base defense, even if it only nets 3 yards per gain. Running the ball will tire out a defense. Passing the ball will have defenses licking their chops as they tee off on the QB

[/QUOTE]

it was very obvious from nwe's first drive that they were going to pass pass pass. the run game was there only to kill the clock if they got the lead. 

that first drive told seattle that nwe was afraid to challenge seattle on the ground and that nwe was going to win in the air. just like bal does or nyg does, frustrate nwe on a few run attempts just to confirm, then nwe will go pass all the time.

you are right, commitment means running even if you net 3 yds per attempt in the beginning. the game yesterday did not tell whether or not the running game would have worked had they kept it going and tried o be unpredictable about it. what that game showed was that the pass pass pass did not work.