Can we relax with the defense?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Can we relax with the defense?

Yes, they give up a lot of yards. Yes, sometimes they sometimes struggle to get off the field. But I'm going to point some things out that back up the "bend but don't break" mentality.
    21 TD's
    18 INT's
    87 passer rating (not great, but not horrible)

12 rushing TD's against them

This defense doesn't give up as many points as people think. And frankly, with the amount of injuries that this team has faced, I'm almost impressed that they are doing alright. They're T-15th in points against (lots of those points coming in "garbage time" - I know, 60 minutes.....I know).

Bottom line is that no coach could coach up that many back-ups and have them in top-form with the amount of injuries that they've had. They were bad to start the season, just like every defense was (remember how many QB's were carving up defenses early in the season?).
    This defense is good enough to win, and that's all that matters.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

Re: Can we relax with the defense?

Relax?  I never relax when our defense is on the field, who coul?  Every series is an adventure.  It's exciting but I would love to sit down once in a while.  However, every game is it's own microcosm

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Our defense will come together and play good football in postseason but we have to be all full strengh.

If anyone is confident that J.Idebgho and Slater can play safety for us effectively....

That was ugly out there. I know they adjusted the fronts and played better, but those guys just arent NFl caliber defenders. Ray Rice would run circles around them.

Good thing is the Ravens look shaky and Texans too, just worried about the Steelers.

Whoever we play we better pray that our defense can get off the field. Brady is gonna start slowly every week with that tendinitis so the defense has to come to play early.

A 1st quarter like yesterday in the playoffs could end you against a balanced team.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

I guess I didn't come across exactly how I wanted to....

I guess what I meant was that, given the personnel that they're working with right now, I think they're doing a solid job. Seeing Slater in a base-package in the red zone trying to go after Tebow early in the game says a lot about where this team is on it's depth chart.
    I think Chung and Spikes should rest up and get healthy for the postseason....I think they're both critical to the run defense, and Chung is pretty big in terms of pass defense; not great, but much better than what they have right now.
    If they somehow pull off a Lombardi this year, I think it could be Belichick's best coaching job and Brady's best season, given all the injuries on defense.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

They need to be better, even if it's just by a small margin. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

With all the injuries this defense has suffered this year and the record of the team, I wonder, take away the same amount of defensive players from the Packers, would they be 13 - 1?  A lot of credit goes to them for doing what they do even though they are "statistically" considered the worst D in the NFL.  I am certain many fans in other cities would love their team to be 11 - 3 right now with such a D!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Nice showing after really getting trampled in the 1st quarter.  They showed something during gut check time. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

You know who deserves some love from the fanbase this morning?

Kyle Love and Brandon Deaderick.

After Carter went down those guys really stepped up and pushed the pocket and made some things happen out there.

Also, small cap-tip to Ron Brace for forcing Denver's first fumble.

Good day for the unheralded DTs yesterday.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

In Response to Re: Can we relax with the defense?:
    [QUOTE]Mark Anderson was a beast.  He's not really a run guy and apparently can't be used at OLB In a 3-4, but he was just great. Agreed on Love and Deaderick, but they were awful to start. So was Wilfork, actually. Terrible in the 1st qtr, but give credit to adjust and learn against a QB they never faced before.  So yes, agree. Nice to see Moore out there even if he was being held on almost every down. lol Also, yes, on Brace. Maybe he can really help out down in the playoffs? We could have used him last year.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKingII[/QUOTE]

You know, as bad as they looked in the first quarter, if Ninkovich brings down Tebow instead of letting him squirm away for a TD run, they probably hold Denver to two FGs and one TD (13 points). But the kid is 240+ and not so easy to bring down.

Great job of adjusting mid-game, however. Have to give Patricia a lot of credit there.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can we relax with the defense? : You know, as bad as they looked in the first quarter, if Ninkovich brings down Tebow instead of letting him squirm away for a TD run, they probably hold Denver to two FGs and one TD (13 points). But the kid is 240+ and not so easy to bring down. Great job of adjusting mid-game, however. Have to give Patricia a lot of credit there.
    Posted by hardright[/QUOTE]
    Good point, but, we'll never know.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

I think the D has gotten better week to week despite all the injuries. They got hammered in the first quarter, but made adjustments and quickly took over in the second. They are who they are. No mysteries, but they do the job when they need to. A great win on both sides of the field yesterday. I thought not turning that first turnover at the 20 into 7 was going to be costly, but it was not. What fun is watching a game without being held captive for 60minutes. Go Pats.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I look at the D I don't look at injures. I might get killed by this but what I mean is every team has injures and when the playoffs come you don't get a handicap because you have players injured. You also don't know when an injured player will return or how they will play when they return, so as BB says "it is what it is". In the Pro's you don't get participation trophies

When I saw this team yesterday it's what they have been all year. Not a 60min D. They adjusted well and played great 3 quarter football but that 1st quarter was awful, lets call it what it is. Now, you can say it's because of injures but they've been like this all year. They play great for a good chunk of the game but either break early in the game only to recover or break at the end. It works during the regular season because the O can bail them out but come playoff time when they face top end D's you can't rely on the O to constantly bail out the D. If you have a first quarter like that against a Pitt, Bal, NO I'm not sure if the O can make up the difference in time.

That's what scares me the most about this D. Not that they give up a time of yards or long time consuming plays, or that they rely on turn overs to kill drives. It's that they haven't shown that they can play for 60mins all season. If the Pats expect to make it far into the playoffs the D has got to put it together and play like they did for most of the game yesterday for the full 60mins

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

The injuries play a huge role in their shaky run defense of late. Spikes and Chung are (arguably) their best run defenders in the back seven.

The pass defense would still be an issue -- though Spikes and Chung would provide a boost against TEs and some RBs. 

BB unloading all of his experienced safeties looks like a poorly hatched plot in retrospect, and DMC's horrendous sophomore campaign (hope he bounces back) has really set the defense back in the "passing" department. 

I would hate to see what it would have looked like if BB hadn't picked up Carter and Anderson.

On the plus side, which team is without a flaw right now? The only really "balanced" team is Pitt, but I think NE has them dead to rights next time they play, whether it's in Pitt or NE. 

GB and NO are carbon copies of NE, neither has a particularly impressive defense. 

The only team that I think is a bad matchup for NE is Baltimore -- and even then I would put money on Brady over Flacco in that dog-fight.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

[QUOTE]I look at the D I don't look at injures. I might get killed by this but what I mean is every team has injures and when the playoffs come you don't get a handicap because you have players injured. You also don't know when an injured player will return or how they will play when they return, so as BB says "it is what it is". In the Pro's you don't get participation trophies When I saw this team yesterday it's what they have been all year. Not a 60min D. They adjusted well and played great 3 quarter football but that 1st quarter was awful, lets call it what it is. Now, you can say it's because of injures but they've been like this all year. They play great for a good chunk of the game but either break early in the game only to recover or break at the end. It works during the regular season because the O can bail them out but come playoff time when they face top end D's you can't rely on the O to constantly bail out the D. If you have a first quarter like that against a Pitt, Bal, NO I'm not sure if the O can make up the difference in time. That's what scares me the most about this D. Not that they give up a time of yards or long time consuming plays, or that they rely on turn overs to kill drives. It's that they haven't shown that they can play for 60mins all season. If the Pats expect to make it far into the playoffs the D has got to put it together and play like they did for most of the game yesterday for the full 60mins
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

Very True.

I said the same thing. In postseason that 1st quarter could end you right there.

They need to start fast on defense because we have started slow on offense and get get behind the 8 ball. Need to play 60 minutes of "O" and "D" in January, but something tells me know this already so will they improve, we shall see.

If they do it wont be because Bill did or didnt scream "60 MINUTES!!! YOU UNDERSTAND THAT???"

They must not...lol

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]The injuries play a huge role in their shaky run defense of late. Spikes and Chung are (arguably) their best run defenders in the back seven. The pass defense would still be an issue -- though Spikes and Chung would provide a boost against TEs and some RBs.  BB unloading all of his experienced safeties looks like a poorly hatched plot in retrospect, and DMC's horrendous sophomore campaign (hope he bounces back) has really set the defense back in the "passing" department.  I would hate to see what it would have looked like if BB hadn't picked up Carter and Anderson. On the plus side, which team is without a flaw right now? The only really "balanced" team is Pitt, but I think NE has them dead to rights next time they play, whether it's in Pitt or NE.  GB and NO are carbon copies of NE, neither has a particularly impressive defense.  The only team that I think is a bad matchup for NE is Baltimore -- and even then I would put money on Brady over Flacco in that dog-fight.
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]
    Given what SD did to that Raven's D last night, I wonder about that.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can we relax with the defense? : Given what SD did to that Raven's D last night, I wonder about that.
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]

Outside of Ed Reed the Ravens secondary is pretty bad.  Their pass rush has made up for it most of the time, but if given enough time in the pocket a good QB can pick them apart as evidenced last night.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

The simple answer is no.  This defense is not very good.  Fortunately, however, it is well coached and that often compensates for a lack of talent. 

I think the offense really bailed the defense out yesterday--first, it stayed on the field for long stretches; second, it scored a lot which forced the Broncos to play from behind and therefore have to throw more.  As bad as our secondary and LBs can be in pass coverage, Tebow is even worse throwing the ball, so this worked in our favour.

I think later in the game, BB got his defense to focus mostly on containing Tebow and keeping him looking for ways to scramble rather than throw.  Our front four or five rushers played with discipline and kept pushing the scrambling Tebow backwards until he had to throw the ball away or take a sack.  On a bright note, on most plays, our secondary stayed in coverage better than it has in the past, and that made it harder for Tebow to find an open guy.  This helped the guys at the LOS do their job. Overall the defense looked good in this mode, but I'm not sure they'd look nearly as good against a better QB.  We were lucky to have been Tebowed yesterday rather than Rogered or Breesed or even Roethlisbergered . . .

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

[QUOTE]Bout time the offense didn't have a series of 3 and outs, dude! I mean, my god.  Gee, thanks for our mutli million dollar all world offense showing up in the fiest hald for once with an injury riddled D. lmao The D has only held or bailed out the offense most of the year for entire halves. It acutally looked like they practiced this week for once. They need to be cleaner out of halftime, still, however. Terrible opening drive, aided by Ayers' dumb move on 3rd down. Defense is solid, will be good when Spikes and Chung return to settle it down the middle.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKingII[/QUOTE]

Defense is solid??? LMAO.  No way you said that with a straight face.  Now I know why you wear the Burger King mask, your laughing your butt off as you write this stuff.  You funny man.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Here is what I like about our D, and it has nothing to do with stats.  For several years we seemed to be without anyone who could channel his inner "Willie Mac".  Willie Mac had a knack for making the critical play when it was needed the most.  It seemed as if we no longer had these type of players on our team.  Nobody seemed to be able to outplay themselves and reach down deep and make a play when we really needed one.

That is what is different about our defense this year.  When we really need someone to step up and make a play...someone does.  We have a team full of guys who can step in and have a "Willie Mac" moment.  Some are worried that we will have yet another "one and done" in the playoffs.  I can't say the thought hasn't crossed my mind.  I think our playoff fortunes change this year.  My main reason for not worrying is because these guys have proven they can make timely plays.  I believe that if we have our backs against the wall, someone on D will step up and make a critical play.