CB is a top priority: Aqib Talib

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

CB is a top priority: Aqib Talib

Next year's schedule WR wise:

Stevie Johnson, Robert Woods

Brian Hartline, Mike Wallace

Alshon Jeffery, Brandon Marshall

AJ Green

Demaryious Thomas, Julius Thomas

Calvin Johnson

Reggie Wayne, TY Hilton

Keenan Allen

Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb

there are alot of good passing offenses we play next year. getting Aqib Talib back is huge and I think my mind is changing on drafting a CB late. the CB class is deep though and BB is phenominal at finding CBs mid/late draft. we certainly need another CB though, a TALL one

gonna be interesting

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: CB is a top priority: Aqib Talib

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Next year's schedule WR wise:

Stevie Johnson, Robert Woods

Brian Hartline, Mike Wallace

Alshon Jeffery, Brandon Marshall

AJ Green

Demaryious Thomas, Julius Thomas

Calvin Johnson

Reggie Wayne, TY Hilton

Keenan Allen

Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb

there are alot of good passing offenses we play next year. getting Aqib Talib back is huge and I think my mind is changing on drafting a CB late. the CB class is deep though and BB is phenominal at finding CBs mid/late draft. we certainly need another CB though, a TALL one

gonna be interesting

[/QUOTE]

I agree we need a taller quick CB to cover those guys but what good is it if he's gone/ineffective half the year because of injury and can't stay on the field for the biggest game of the year? Btw does anyone know his actual injury was? We've had players play with broken arm (Harrison), broken ribs (Brady), torn ACL (Mankins) among numerous other injures by other players including sprained ankles and dislocated shoulders but anyone know what injury Talib actually received to keep him on the sidelines? All I know is it was a knee injury with no major damage and could actually play this weekend if there was a game. Was it the same nagging knee issue he had last year? If so did the hit actually cause it (shoulder to shoulder hits usually don't cause knee injures server enough to knock a player out for the game) or was it something he was dealing with regardless?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

very good point PatsEng I dont know the extent of the Talib injury but if the reports are saying surgery isnt needed and he could play that is not a good sign. he should be able to play through pain in the biggest game in his career...

I just think he is the cheapest option there. Alteruan Verner hasnt missed a game in his career (not 100% sure, but he plays alot never injured) and coming off a big year and younger and healthy than Talib he will get more money I feel.

It's really a sticky situation at this point.. If we resign talib to a 1 year 5-6 mil. deal or 2 and 10-11 i would be happy with that. anything more is a risk for an injury prone player who seems like he cant play through pain in huge games.

But CB is a top priority no doubt. we need a top CB in FA (Talib or maybe Verner, Vontae Davis) and definetly draft a lengthy CB

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MileHighMike. Show MileHighMike's posts

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This will have nothing to do with desire for the team to resign him or his desire to returrn, it will be about the market.

I still don't think Talib will have many bidders, so that bodes well.

1 year deal with incentives that build into a 2015 deal. 

[/QUOTE]

Talib is the Pats best CB.  Without him the pass De went from average to pathetic.  The run D was awful this year and Wilfork is done.  Talib will not take a 1 year deal at his age.  Cap hell Paper Tigers will be lucky to be able to afford to sign their draft, never mind FAs.   B-bye Talib.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

This will have nothing to do with desire for the team to resign him or his desire to returrn, it will be about the market.

[/QUOTE]

you don't think so? i think it may..,

oh well i agree I don't think many will be after him either. like you said 1 year w/ incentives good call

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MileHighMike. Show MileHighMike's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

you don't think so? i think it may..,

oh well i agree I don't think many will be after him either. like you said 1 year w/ incentives good call

[/QUOTE]

Yes and sign (fill in the name of best NT on the market, best TE on the market and best WR on the market) to 1 year incentive contract also.  You and Queenie are obviously ignorant to the fact that the player will need to agree to the terms of the contract.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to MileHighMike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes and sign (fill in the name of best NT on the market, best TE on the market and best WR on the market) to 1 year incentive contract also.  You and Queenie are obviously ignorant to the fact that the player will need to agree to the terms of the contract.  

[/QUOTE]

please give me a list of teams who will offer Talib a huge deal? why would they give Tlaib huge $  if Alteraun Verner is there and probably a safer risk to spend big $ on..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MileHighMike. Show MileHighMike's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

please give me a list of teams who will offer Talib a huge deal? why would they give Tlaib huge $  if Alteraun Verner is there and probably a safer risk to spend big $ on..

[/QUOTE]

He played last year on a one year prove it deal.  He proved it.  He's a top 10-15 corner.  Mostly, he proved that he alone could turn a really bad D into an average one.  He is one of the top 5 corners on the market.  He's 27 and he's not going to get more durable.  Time to sign, a minimum a 3 year deal, likley 4 for 7 mil a year.  And what team?  Any of the 15 teams that need a CB.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He played last year on a one year prove it deal.  He proved it.  He's a top 10-15 corner.  Mostly, he proved that he alone could turn a really bad D into an average one.  He is one of the top 5 corners on the market.  He's 27 and he's not going to get more durable.  Time to sign, a minimum a 3 year deal, likley 4 for 7 mil a year.  And what team?  Any of the 15 teams that need a CB.

[/QUOTE]

all of those teams are going to be talking to Alteruan Verner. watch. all GMs saw Talib miss his two biggest games with us these last two years. he has never played a full NFL season and the hip is always gonna be a lingering factor.

Talib will have a market. a low one but it'll be there. Verner will get more years and gtd. $

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MileHighMike. Show MileHighMike's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

all of those teams are going to be talking to Alteruan Verner. watch. all GMs saw Talib miss his two biggest games with us these last two years. he has never played a full NFL season and the hip is always gonna be a lingering factor.

Talib will have a market. a low one but it'll be there. Verner will get more years and gtd. $

[/QUOTE]

So, you think that there is a special rating for missing "big games"?  Weird.  New to the game?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MileHighMike. Show MileHighMike's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Just becasue he is not the most desirable CB on the market doesn't mean that he won't get a 3-4 year deal worth 7 mil/year.  The best CBs get more than that.  There are at least a dozen CBs that are getting more than that.  The fact that the Pats can't afford that or that they have been burned by having their entire D crashing when Talib goes out is inconsequential to other teams.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In a way yes. It's more of a testament to how Talib has yet to finish a full season. He will not be getting huge gtd $ with the injury flags. He will get offers but not as high as an Alteruan Verner. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Last years CB market was flat as hell. All the tip players got low $ and the cap is staying the same (I think) so the market will be relatively the same

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MileHighMike. Show MileHighMike's posts

[QUOTE]

In a way yes. It's more of a testament to how Talib has yet to finish a full season. He will not be getting huge gtd $ with the injury flags. He will get offers but not as high as an Alteruan Verner. 

[/QUOTE]

So, what you're saying is that becasue he won't fetch what Verner does from one team, that he won't get a better offer than a 1 year 'prove it even more this time' contract from the patsies?  Dude?  have you tried to think this through?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Talib sounds like a perfect bb type of player. Resign him please.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MileHighMike. Show MileHighMike's posts

[QUOTE]

Last years CB market was flat as hell. All the tip players got low $ and the cap is staying the same (I think) so the market will be relatively the same

[/QUOTE]

Which is one of the reasons why Talib signed a 1 year cheap deal.  So, you think because there was a glut of Talib level CBs last year and he was a much bigger ? after a partial season in NE that the same is true again? Dude?  Have you tried to think this through?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Oh oh.  Less money for Talib, next year. 

To clarify, McCourty had over 80% playing-time in EACH of the last years. That feat added $3M to 2014 base. His cap number is now $5.115M

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

This is going to be a tough one. He has chronic hip trouble, I actually believe it was his hip that went out again over the WW hit.

We can't afford to tie up a lot of CAP money for a guy who hasn't played a full season.

Incentive laden contract is called for however some silly GM in the league will give Talib a big deal and he walks.

Put me down as Talib is all but gone.

McCourty back to DB.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I also asked Monday what the injury was. Talib was clearly jogging in place, jumping up and down and trying to stay loose on the sideline. I understand he was testing his body, but he looked like he was going to at least try. 

I think it is really hard to look at players on other teams and speculate how they will do here. Heck, even BB misses 50% of the time, even more so with CB's. However, I do think BB has found a CB in Talib that plays exactly the way BB wants him to, is still relatively young, and the team and the player have a strong interest in staying together. The one down side and potential deal killer is that the Pats wont get Talib on the cheap. They are going to have to pay him fair market value. They should do it. 3/$21. $12 guaranteed. 

Talib, Dennerd, Ryan and Arrington are a very good unit, deep, versatile and can play the way BB wants them to. With out Talib, plug in any draft choice or other free agent, and IMO this back field is weaker. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

I would like to see Talib back, but the market may force him elsewhere.  I think the biggest need is to replace Gregory.  A good safety will help the CB's.  Gregory missed a lot of tackles.  McCourdy looks good.  Harmon was ok when he filled in and should get better.  Wilson is not getting it.  Ebner is a special teams player.  Ryan and Dennard were good #2 CB's but not a #1.  I think Byrd would improve the secondary if he can be had for the right price.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rbetourne. Show rbetourne's posts

Sign Talib.  We don't want to break the bank, but he is important.  Vince Wilfork is probably my favorite Patriot---but I think he has to restructure his contract to help the team.  Byrd would be a fantastic sign--but I think he will want too much $$$.  If he wants to come to a winner---he would be great. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I also asked Monday what the injury was. Talib was clearly jogging in place, jumping up and down and trying to stay loose on the sideline. I understand he was testing his body, but he looked like he was going to at least try. 

I think it is really hard to look at players on other teams and speculate how they will do here. Heck, even BB misses 50% of the time, even more so with CB's. However, I do think BB has found a CB in Talib that plays exactly the way BB wants him to, is still relatively young, and the team and the player have a strong interest in staying together. The one down side and potential deal killer is that the Pats wont get Talib on the cheap. They are going to have to pay him fair market value. They should do it. 3/$21. $12 guaranteed

Talib, Dennerd, Ryan and Arrington are a very good unit, deep, versatile and can play the way BB wants them to. With out Talib, plug in any draft choice or other free agent, and IMO this back field is weaker. 

[/QUOTE]

Way to mcuh for Talib. Unless it's a 1-2 year deal for 5mil or less per year and less than half gauranteed including bonuses I wouldn't touch him. He might be perfect for what BB wants to do but again what good is that if he's taking up a spot on the roster, is only good half the season, and you can't count on him to be there in the playoffs? That means you'd better spend big on his replacement because nether Ryan nor Dennard have the physical ability to cover guys Talib can. 

Imo if you are going to invest that type of money then you have to ask would you take DRC. Similar type of player, not as much talent but much more durable with similar (non-injury) red flags as Talib or maybe take someone with just as much talent and similar injury red flags (though he's at least finished seasons and plays hurt) in Grimes. Those 3 guys imp will receiver similar types of deals this offseason and frankly I'd might want either over Talib because I'm not sure how many years Talib will actually play with all these nagging lower body injures and the inability to play through them.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I think it is really hard to look at players on other teams and speculate how they will do here. Heck, even BB misses 50% of the time, even more so with CB's. However, I do think BB has found a CB in Talib that plays exactly the way BB wants him to, is still relatively young, and the team and the player have a strong interest in staying together. The one down side and potential deal killer is that the Pats wont get Talib on the cheap. They are going to have to pay him fair market value. They should do it. 3/$21. $12 guaranteed

[/QUOTE]

Way to mcuh for Talib. Unless it's a 1-2 year deal for 5mil or less per year and less than half gauranteed including bonuses I wouldn't touch him. He might be perfect for what BB wants to do but again what good is that if he's taking up a spot on the roster, is only good half the season, and you can't count on him to be there in the playoffs? That means you'd better spend big on his replacement because nether Ryan nor Dennard have the physical ability to cover guys Talib can. 

Imo if you are going to invest that type of money then you have to ask would you take DRC. Similar type of player, not as much talent but much more durable with similar (non-injury) red flags as Talib or maybe take someone with just as much talent and similar injury red flags (though he's at least finished seasons and plays hurt) in Grimes. Those 3 guys imp will receiver similar types of deals this offseason and frankly I'd might want either over Talib because I'm not sure how many years Talib will actually play with all these nagging lower body injures and the inability to play through them.

[/QUOTE]

Talib played in 13 games this season, not 8. The style of play BB wants from a CB is tough physically on a CB. DRC has not played the style CB that the Pats want. Can he? Maybe. Why take that chance?

The Pats did use ample resources on depth behind Talib. They used a high draft choice on Ryan, and they gave Arrington a lot of money. The defense the PAts wish to play...which is game plan and each week take away the oppositions strength, fits perfectly with what Talib can do. He can cover Jimmy Graham, Steve Smith and D Thomas. Not a lot of CB's, including DRC can do that  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

Talib played in 13 games this season, not 8. The style of play BB wants from a CB is tough physically on a CB. DRC has not played the style CB that the Pats want. Can he? Maybe. Why take that chance?

The Pats did use ample resources on depth behind Talib. They used a high draft choice on Ryan, and they gave Arrington a lot of money. The defense the PAts wish to play...which is game plan and each week take away the oppositions strength, fits perfectly with what Talib can do. He can cover Jimmy Graham, Steve Smith and D Thomas. Not a lot of CB's, including DRC can do that  

[/QUOTE]

I never said he played in half the season I have said he's only effective for half the season. He might have played but was not near 100%, as shown when BB would rather stick Arrington on #1 WR's like Gordon than Talib. So what if you play 13 games if 5 of those you can't give 90% or better because you are still recovering?

Ryan and Arrington don't have the physical ability to cover the guys Talib covers. You can spend ample resources on your car too but it doesn't matter if you get new brakes when what you need is new tires. You need to spend on a similar type of CB to back him up because Ryan and Arrington can't do the same thing Talib did. Btw, spending the amount of resources on Arrington is spending just to say you spent. No way Arrington was worth what he's paid. Are you going to go to the store and say, I know the can says it's $1 but I want to pay $2.50 and then when your kids say I'm still hungry you say well we spent resources to find you, didn't you like that can of food I got? If you want Talib you need to invest in his backup so the drop off isn't as large. If there aren't a lot of player who can do that then you have to ask yourself do you spend more for a more durable one you have to worry less about or if you really love Talib do you spend money on a player who has similar traits but not as talented.