1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: CB is a top priority: Aqib Talib

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

because aside from Dennard and hopefully Ryan, this team has struck out in drafting CB's for much of the past 7 years. Signing Arrington was for going with the known over the uinknown. I feel they will take the same route with Talib, assuming the deal is "fair" rather than overpay. I am stating 3/$21 is fair.

[/QUOTE]

Just because they are known doesn't mean they are any good. If that was their thinking case why not keep Welker over Amendola?

It's what I keep coming back to, what about Arrington shouts to you yes he's worth that much? If Ryan or Dennard couldn't play was there anythinig in Arringtons history that suggested he'd be better on the edge then an unknown they might bring in? I know my friends car breaks down every 5th time he starts it, doesn't mean I would buy it from him over buying a used car from another person. If anything it makes it worse that you knew he was a lemon but spent the money anyways instead of rolling the dice and hoping for more than a lemon.

[/QUOTE]

A healthy Arrington is a top 5 slot CB in the NFL. He is a very good tackler ( a must for a CB on a BB team), he has very good hands. Turnovers are a result of opportunities, and if he is not thrown against in the slot, he won't have turnovers, but when challenged, he has made INT's and forced fumbles. That is huge in a bend but do not break offense. 

Agreed, Arrington has been exposed when playing outside CB. But if the pats are in sub 50% plus of the time! I am fine with Arrington playing major snaps at the slot.

i think we need to separate the player and the contract. A healthy Arrington is a very good slot corner for the type of defense BB wants to play. A contract for him with an AAV of $4M IMO is on the high side of fair. Again, coming out of 2012 when Talib was healthy, BB liked what he saw in the defensive back field, and wanted some continuity. But he knew Dennerd was a question for a few games legally, Talib was a free agent and Ryan was drafted. Paying a very good slot corner that had been groomed in this system and is a good locker room guy, is reliable every game to play, was a sound move. 

The angst on this board with Arrington seems to be:

-he was exposed playing out of position

-he was exposed playing hurt

-Ryan improved faster than expected

-his AAV is $4M rather than $3M 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4160947. Show user_4160947's posts

My self-imposed moratorium on the game is over.  We were outmanned and outplayed...  To the topic at hand- CB.  I hope they keep Talib.  Can they tag him?  It would be expensive for a year but they have done it before, no?  My big question is DMC.  This will sound stupid since he got 2nd team All-Pro back there, but he is over his head (pun intended- too small).  I can't recall big game changing plays.  He is a maybe tackler and still takes wrong angles in pursuit.  Many times this year his stone hands dropped INTs or batted balls away from our own DBs.  Finally, it has been written that he is good in communication.  That is a glaring weakness of these DBs.  When they slide to cover, the other guy fails to move and compensate.  They get burned often.  Gregory has to be gone, just not good enough.  What happened to Dennard?  He looked really slow and chunky, like he was out of shape.  Arrington is a JAG.  The view here is that he is a good slot receiver.  That's not good enough against PM and other good passing attacks.  They pick him off with a crossing pattern and all of a sudden his man is streaking in the open down the sideline!  Tavon Wilson?  So, in addition to a weak OLine, poor receiving corps, and no DL pressure, I think the DBs are still a  major problem.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

A healthy Arrington is a top 5 slot CB in the NFL. He is a very good tackler ( a must for a CB on a BB team), he has very good hands. Turnovers are a result of opportunities, and if he is not thrown against in the slot, he won't have turnovers, but when challenged, he has made INT's and forced fumbles. That is huge in a bend but do not break offense. 

Agreed, Arrington has been exposed when playing outside CB. But if the pats are in sub 50% plus of the time! I am fine with Arrington playing major snaps at the slot.

i think we need to separate the player and the contract. A healthy Arrington is a very good slot corner for the type of defense BB wants to play. A contract for him with an AAV of $4M IMO is on the high side of fair. Again, coming out of 2012 when Talib was healthy, BB liked what he saw in the defensive back field, and wanted some continuity. But he knew Dennerd was a question for a few games legally, Talib was a free agent and Ryan was drafted. Paying a very good slot corner that had been groomed in this system and is a good locker room guy, is reliable every game to play, was a sound move. 

The angst on this board with Arrington seems to be:

-he was exposed playing out of position

-he was exposed playing hurt

-Ryan improved faster than expected

-his AAV is $4M rather than $3M 

[/QUOTE]

The healthy top 5 slot CB got benched on multiple games for Ryan including the playoff game. Does that mean Ryan's a top 4 slot CB?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to user_4160947's comment:

My self-imposed moratorium on the game is over.  We were outmanned and outplayed...  To the topic at hand- CB.  I hope they keep Talib.  Can they tag him?  It would be expensive for a year but they have done it before, no?  My big question is DMC.  This will sound stupid since he got 2nd team All-Pro back there, but he is over his head (pun intended- too small).  I can't recall big game changing plays.  He is a maybe tackler and still takes wrong angles in pursuit.  Many times this year his stone hands dropped INTs or batted balls away from our own DBs.  Finally, it has been written that he is good in communication.  That is a glaring weakness of these DBs.  When they slide to cover, the other guy fails to move and compensate.  They get burned often.  Gregory has to be gone, just not good enough.  What happened to Dennard?  He looked really slow and chunky, like he was out of shape.  Arrington is a JAG.  The view here is that he is a good slot receiver.  That's not good enough against PM and other good passing attacks.  They pick him off with a crossing pattern and all of a sudden his man is streaking in the open down the sideline!  Tavon Wilson?  So, in addition to a weak OLine, poor receiving corps, and no DL pressure, I think the DBs are still a  major problem.

You speak the truth User. Sobering considering our  flexibility right now. BB gonna need to get creative. In these last 2 years we cant afford to be wasting money and Danny was a waste of money on top of dead money we have now....smh

Brady Does not like Amendola , that is clear. Will it get better? maybe, but he seemed to chastise him the most in a way to let the coaches know..."I dont like this guy, he is no wes"  and sadly I agree. That was a bad move. Knowing what we know, they should have just stuck w/Edleman and Collie and those guys cost under a million combined. Danny got 10 mills....OUCH!