CBA provides a reason why BB might not trade out of the 1st

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

CBA provides a reason why BB might not trade out of the 1st

Now, we are all assuming BB will try to trade out of the 1st because of the lack of picks. And this is likely, but is there a reason in the new CBA that BB won't trade out of the 1st? If it's one thing we know about the Pats, with rare exception, they will run their rooks contracts out to the bitter end to squeeze every last penny out of the player possible. Though, it has recently started to change with the extension of Mayo, Hern, and Gronk there are still a lot of examples of them running players contracts completely out preserving that value aspect.

With the new CBA all 1st round picks have optional 5th year. The added value is that picks 11-32 that 5th year is the average of the top 3rd in the position. This gives the Pats 1 year of extra control at a very reasonable rate, what should be more valuable to them then to move back into the early 2nd and give up that 5th year option for an extra pick.

Knowing the Pats and how they like to play the system it only makes sense they'd want to keep a 1st in the 11-32 range for that extra year of service rather then trading back for multiple picks.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: CBA provides a reason why BB might not trade out of the 1st

It will be interesting to see how that fifth year option works out.  I could be wrong, but I believe the teams have to exercise the option by the beginning of the player's fourth year (in May before the 4th season starts), so they have to make the decision after seeing only three years of performance.  For players drafted in the first round with picks 11 through 32, the salary will be the average of the 3rd through 25th highest salaries at the player's position. Once the team exercises the option at the beginning of year 4 the  player's fifth year salary is guaranteed for injury and it becomes fully guaranteed if the player is on the roster at the start of the fifth year.  Lot of factors for teams to weigh when the decision needs to be made. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Now, we are all assuming BB will try to trade out of the 1st because of the lack of picks. And this is likely, but is there a reason in the new CBA that BB won't trade out of the 1st? If it's one thing we know about the Pats, with rare exception, they will run their rooks contracts out to the bitter end to squeeze every last penny out of the player possible. Though, it has recently started to change with the extension of Mayo, Hern, and Gronk there are still a lot of examples of them running players contracts completely out preserving that value aspect.

With the new CBA all 1st round picks have optional 5th year. The added value is that picks 11-32 that 5th year is the average of the top 3rd in the position. This gives the Pats 1 year of extra control at a very reasonable rate, what should be more valuable to them then to move back into the early 2nd and give up that 5th year option for an extra pick.

Knowing the Pats and how they like to play the system it only makes sense they'd want to keep a 1st in the 11-32 range for that extra year of service rather then trading back for multiple picks.

Good post, PE!  I could def see this being a factor.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Totally agree that this will be a consideration, depending on who is available as the draft approaches #29.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mississippipatfan. Show mississippipatfan's posts

I say Bill will trade to get 2 first round picks.  And Pick a DB & WR.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Good points PE.  So it seems there is a bit of a disincentive to trading back into the 2nd due to the extra year of control for a 1st.  The other side of the coin is that you could get two similarly rated players in the 2nd at less money, albeit for only 4 years. 

It seems to me that the Pats do better in the first round.  The draft may have some depth at certain positions, but I think the "surer thing" factor plays some part if they stay put.  Not that they can't hit in the 2nd round, but I think I'd take the best player available (DL/DE) and take a chance of drafting a WR in the 2nd if there is a guy they have highly rated. 

8. This post has been removed.