CHAMPIONSHIP GAME PREDICTIONS:

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

CHAMPIONSHIP GAME PREDICTIONS:

In the NFC, nobody really expected a Giants @ 49ers match. Everyone expected, and looked forward to, a clash of two of the three prolific offensives in the game, the Packers and Saints. But...each of these teams lost to a team with a better defense. 

This brings us to the AFC, where the sole remaining NFL offensive "superpower", the New England Patriots, prepares to host the best defensive team in the AFC, the Baltimore Ravens. Will the theme that the team with the better defense will prevail? 

Here's a look at the championship games in each conference, and my picks against the spread:

1.) (11-7) NY Giants (+2.5) @ (14-3) SF 49ers: The 49ers upset the Saints because they forced five (5) turnovers. I don't care how good an offense a team has...when a team spots the other team 17 points due to turnovers, that team turning it over is going to lose. The key to this game is whether the 49ers' front seven can get consistent pressure on Giants' QB, Eli Manning. If they can, turnovers will follow. If not, look for Eli to pick the 49ers' secondary apart, much like he did to the Green Bay secondary.
         The similarities between this postseason and the 2007 postseason for the Giants are eerie. They are playing their best football at the right time, again. Their defense is suddenly healthy, and getting pressure on the opposing QB, again. But...there's a difference. QB Eli Manning looks like the NFC's answer to Tom Brady, over the past four weeks. He is carrying the Giants' offense. Based on what I've seen, the Giants are the most balanced team of the four remaining squads. They won't turn the ball over, like the Saints did:
    PICK: Giants;

2.) (13-4) Baltimore Ravens (+7.5) @ (14-3) New England Patriots: The defensive minded Ravens seem to match up very well against the Patriots. Two years ago, they embarrassed the Good Guys, 33-14, in Foxboro. Most of the key players that played for them in that game remain...ILB Ray Lewis, OLB Terrell Suggs, DT/DE Haloti Ngata, FS Ed Reed, CB Lardarius Webb, RB Ray Rice, QB Joe Flacco, and a solid OL, led by C Matt Birk, and OGs, Ben Grubbs and Marshall Yanda. If you go back and review the Ravens' games, you'll see that whenever they get off to a fast start, and take the lead, the game is over. That's exactly what happened in 2009, when the Ravens put up 24 of their 33 points in the first quarter. Their meal ticket on offense is RB Rice, who averaged 4.7 yards per carry this year, and rushed for over 1300 yards. Pay close attention to the first quarter, If Rice gats running room, and the Ravens score early, it likely will be a long afternoon for Tom Brady's Boys. 
         The Patriots have generally won by bludgeoning the opposition with their TE dominated offensive attack. But, it's been hard for Patriots' fans to go all in on this team, due to the exploits, or, more accurately, the lack thereof, of their 31st ranked defensive unit. Last week, in their 45-10 demolition of the Denver Broncos, the Patriots' defensive unit turned in by far their best performance of the season. Whether they can continue last weeks' great play is the question haunting Patriots' Nation. Most football fans have been weaned on the theory that offense sells tickets, but defense wins games. With the exception of the Denver game, the Patriots' offense has had to perform both functions. 
         What must the Patriots do to win?:

1.) Protect Tom Brady from the likes of Terrell Suggs;

2.) Get off to a fast start, and make the Ravens play from behind;

3.) Contain RB Ray Rice at all costs. Vince Wilfolk must dominate;

4.) No turnovers. 

What must the Ravens do to win? Pretty much just the opposite:

1.) Pressure Tom Brady, and force him off his "spot" in the pocket;

2.) Get off to a fast start;

3.) Contain the Patriots' TEs by replacing an ILB with another safety;

4.) Be physical with the Pats' receivers, and establish the run.

The fact that the Patriots are favored by 7.5 points is absurd:
    PICK: Ravens.

Who will win? I like the Giants in the NFC. In the AFC, the team that gets off to the best start will win. If pressed to pick, I'm a believer that defense wins games. I'm also concerned about the Pats' ability to stop the run. But, I can't go against my boys.

Make no mistake about it...this game is a referendum on whether these Patriots have the desire, the pride, and the toughness necessary to be a champion. Regardless of what they're saying publicly, they know that they owe the Ravens one. No excuses. It may not be pretty, but somehow, some way, they'll get it done. See you in Indy.

As always, your comments and opinions are welcome.                      

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: CHAMPIONSHIP GAME PREDICTIONS:

I take Pats and 9ers and give the points.

The 9ers D will force Eli to be his stupid self.

This Pats' team is a major handful for the Ravens compared to what they have dealt with previously.

I had Giants/Pats/9ers/Texans last round. Almost got 'em all. And the Texans almost got the Ravens at home despite a 3rd string QB.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to CHAMPIONSHIP GAME PREDICTIONS::
    [QUOTE]     In the NFC, nobody really expected a Giants @ 49ers match. Everyone expected, and looked forward to, a clash of two of the three prolific offensives in the game, the Packers and Saints. But...each of these teams lost to a team with a better defense.       This brings us to the AFC, where the sole remaining NFL offensive "superpower", the New England Patriots, prepares to host the best defensive team in the AFC, the Baltimore Ravens. Will the theme that the team with the better defense will prevail?       Here's a look at the championship games in each conference, and my picks against the spread: 1.) (11-7) NY Giants (+2.5) @ (14-3) SF 49ers: The 49ers upset the Saints because they forced five (5) turnovers. I don't care how good an offense a team has...when a team spots the other team 17 points due to turnovers, that team turning it over is going to lose. The key to this game is whether the 49ers' front seven can get consistent pressure on Giants' QB, Eli Manning. If they can, turnovers will follow. If not, look for Eli to pick the 49ers' secondary apart, much like he did to the Green Bay secondary.      The similarities between this postseason and the 2007 postseason for the Giants are eerie. They are playing their best football at the right time, again. Their defense is suddenly healthy, and getting pressure on the opposing QB, again. But...there's a difference. QB Eli Manning looks like the NFC's answer to Tom Brady, over the past four weeks. He is carrying the Giants' offense. Based on what I've seen, the Giants are the most balanced team of the four remaining squads. They won't turn the ball over, like the Saints did: PICK: Giants; 2.) (13-4) Baltimore Ravens (+7.5) @ (14-3) New England Patriots: The defensive minded Ravens seem to match up very well against the Patriots. Two years ago, they embarrassed the Good Guys, 33-14, in Foxboro. Most of the key players that played for them in that game remain...ILB Ray Lewis, OLB Terrell Suggs, DT/DE Haloti Ngata, FS Ed Reed, CB Lardarius Webb, RB Ray Rice, QB Joe Flacco, and a solid OL, led by C Matt Birk, and OGs, Ben Grubbs and Marshall Yanda. If you go back and review the Ravens' games, you'll see that whenever they get off to a fast start, and take the lead, the game is over. That's exactly what happened in 2009, when the Ravens put up 24 of their 33 points in the first quarter. Their meal ticket on offense is RB Rice, who averaged 4.7 yards per carry this year, and rushed for over 1300 yards. Pay close attention to the first quarter, If Rice gats running room, and the Ravens score early, it likely will be a long afternoon for Tom Brady's Boys.       The Patriots have generally won by bludgeoning the opposition with their TE dominated offensive attack. But, it's been hard for Patriots' fans to go all in on this team, due to the exploits, or, more accurately, the lack thereof, of their 31st ranked defensive unit. Last week, in their 45-10 demolition of the Denver Broncos, the Patriots' defensive unit turned in by far their best performance of the season. Whether they can continue last weeks' great play is the question haunting Patriots' Nation. Most football fans have been weaned on the theory that offense sells tickets, but defense wins games. With the exception of the Denver game, the Patriots' offense has had to perform both functions.       What must the Patriots do to win?:   1.) Protect Tom Brady from the likes of Terrell Suggs; 2.) Get off to a fast start, and make the Ravens play from behind; 3.) Contain RB Ray Rice at all costs. Vince Wilfolk must dominate; 4.) No turnovers.       What must the Ravens do to win? Pretty much just the opposite:   1.) Pressure Tom Brady, and force him off his "spot" in the pocket; 2.) Get off to a fast start; 3.) Contain the Patriots' TEs by replacing an ILB with another safety; 4.) Be physical with the Pats' receivers, and establish the run.      The fact that the Patriots are favored by 7.5 points is absurd: PICK: Ravens.      Who will win? I like the Giants in the NFC. In the AFC, the team that gets off to the best start will win. If pressed to pick, I'm a believer that defense wins games. I'm also concerned about the Pats' ability to stop the run. But, I can't go against my boys.      Make no mistake about it...this game is a referendum on whether these Patriots have the desire, the pride, and the toughness necessary to be a champion. Regardless of what they're saying publicly, they know that they owe the Ravens one. No excuses. It may not be pretty, but somehow, some way, they'll get it done. See you in Indy.        As always, your comments and opinions are welcome.                      
    Posted by TexasPat[/QUOTE]

tex re:
    "    In the NFC, nobody really expected a Giants @ 49ers match. Everyone expected, and looked forward to, a clash of two of the three prolific offensives in the game, the Packers and Saints. But...each of these teams lost to a team with a better defense.  "

i did pick 49ers and giants.
    this week i got pats and 9ers
    i pick, and root with my heart.
    :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

oh and you pick the "ravens", "but cant go aginst my boys". did you mean that?
    huh?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yakv. Show yakv's posts

bredbru the picks are against the spread which is 7.5 
    that means ne would win by less the 7 points 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

ok hes picking using the spread not st8 up.

thanks yakv

i dont care about spreads adn betting lines and such.

just wins :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Pats 26 - Ravens 16
    49ers 24 - Giants 20

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Pats 27-17.

9ers 20-17.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmy31. Show LittleTimmy31's posts

The Ravens barely got past a team w/ a 3rd string QB......at home.

My Predictions:

The Pats will not take the Raven lightly, that's for sure. But the Ravens are getting older and slower. When the Pats run the up-tempo offense that spreads out the Raven defense, this where the Pats take control of the game.

I'm still not convinced anyone in the league can match up w/ our stud TE's and the passing brilliance of Tom Brady.

On the defensive side of the ball, key players are back (Spikes & Chung). Spikes the great run stopper, and Chung keeps the defensive backfield in line.

I do believe Pats continue to score big and the defense keeps Rice in check. Ever- changing defensive looks and constant pressure on Flacco will keep him baffled and under 150 yard passing.

Score:

Pats - 34
    Ravens - 17

Go Pats!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

PATS 35 RAVINS 13

SF 17  JINTS 14

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Patriots 30 Ravens 21

49ers 22 Giants 20  (Akers kicks a FG to win it at end) 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

I am betting $50 that Pats not only win, but cover the spread !

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Patriots 35-10
    49'ers   24-17

Patriots over 49'ers 38-13

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

TP, absolutely surprised you fell for what the media is doing regarding the Pats and the Ravens and that is referencing a game played THREE years ago!!  Their most recent game was just 14 months or so ago and the Pats WON that one!  If you want to use recent games, how about how the Ravens fared on the road against an offense of similar caliber as the Pats, the Chargers... they hung 34 points on this vaunted Ravens D.  Secondly, the Ravens D has feasted recently on rookie QBs!  the last time they faced a veteran QB, Rivers, well, we know what happened.  I'm not saying the Ravens will not be a challenge, but, that D did not dominate the Texans as you seem to think they will the Pats.  Lastly, the Pats D, yes it was against Denver, but, they played like we haven't seen them play all season and why should we give pause to the thought they won't this game?  IMHO, the Pats are VERY focused, have played extremely well of late, while the Ravens are banking on "history" and "reputation" as their basis to march into FOxboro and win.  I think the Pats will surprise all and win handily.
    As for Giants and 49'ers, both teams are very good and either will be a great challenge to the Pats in the SB. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

In Response to Re: CHAMPIONSHIP GAME PREDICTIONS::
    [QUOTE]Patriots 35-10 49'ers   24-17 Patriots over 49'ers 38-13
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

tcal, you stole my thundah!

same score. I'm up +100....let er ride!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

Pats cover the 7.5 with ease.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to CHAMPIONSHIP GAME PREDICTIONS: : tex re: "    In the NFC, nobody really expected a Giants @ 49ers match. Everyone expected, and looked forward to, a clash of two of the three prolific offensives in the game, the Packers and Saints. But...each of these teams lost to a team with a better defense.   " i did pick 49ers and giants. this week i got pats and 9ers i pick, and root with my heart. :)
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE] I actually Picked Pats vs Giants Super Bowl back in August or September on a Prediction thread. Pats 31-0

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from touchdownpats. Show touchdownpats's posts

Pats 27 - 17

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mighty2012. Show mighty2012's posts

You picked the Ravens?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]TP, absolutely surprised you fell for what the media is doing regarding the Pats and the Ravens and that is referencing a game played THREE years ago!!

RESPONSE: The game was played two years ago, not three.

Their most recent game was just 14 months or so ago and the Pats WON that one!

RESPONSE: Right you are. But, the Patriots barely won, 23-20, in OT, at home.

If you want to use recent games, how about how the Ravens fared on the road against an offense of similar caliber as the Pats, the Chargers... they hung 34 points on this vaunted Ravens D.  Secondly, the Ravens D has feasted recently on rookie QBs!  the last time they faced a veteran QB, Rivers, well, we know what happened.  I'm not saying the Ravens will not be a challenge, but, that D did not dominate the Texans as you seem to think they will the Pats.

RESPONSE: I see the Ravens as a team that matches up well against the Patriots. They have players, such as Ed Reed, Terrell Suggs, Haloti Ngata, and Ray Rice, that have always given the Patriots' trouble. 

Lastly, the Pats D, yes it was against Denver, but, they played like we haven't seen them play all season and why should we give pause to the thought they won't this game?

RESPONSE: Frankly, it was that performance which led me to pick the Pats to win. Prior to that performance, I was prepared to pick the Ravens to win outright.

IMHO, the Pats are VERY focused, have played extremely well of late, while the Ravens are banking on "history" and "reputation" as their basis to march into FOxboro and win.  I think the Pats will surprise all and win handily.

RESPONSE: I hope your right. Nothing would please me more. I hate the Buzzards.

As for Giants and 49'ers, both teams are very good and either will be a great challenge to the Pats in the SB.

RESPONSE: Agreed. But, if the Pats get by the Ravens, I really like their chances in the SB. My understanding is that the NY/SF game will be played on a very muddy track, and perhaps during a rainstorm. It will be interesting to see how each team performs under such weather conditions. 
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

TP, I stand corrected, I had 1-2009 in my mind, not the fact that game was played in 1-2010.  How could I forget, I was flying into Honolulu when the game began and walked into my son's place with the score already 14 - 0.  He's a big Ravens fan... you can guess how the day went!  Anyway...  we are seeing an amazing amount of references to that Jan. 2010 game as a basis for the chance of a Ravens' win, aren't we?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from profootball. Show profootball's posts

Once again the Pats defense will raise up to the challenge, Stop Rice and sacks Flacco like Tebow. On the otherhand, Tom Brady will operate his no hurdle offense as usual to tear the Ravens DBs apart.  Remember this Pats team are not the same team that we lost them before.
    PATS 38 Ravens 17.

Eli Manning is hot now as well as his receiving corps. But this time, they will meet the 49ers stingy defense not like the Packers. Big dogs at home would be a bigger motivation for the 49ers team.
    49ers 27 Giants 17.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from fatsam72. Show fatsam72's posts

Pats win comfortably
    9ers/Giants too close to call.