Chandler Jones comparison

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from millergrnv. Show millergrnv's posts

Chandler Jones comparison

On the Patriots website, I read a blog where Chandler Jones compares himself to both Julius Peppers and Aldon Smith. As Deion Sanders would say, "Hold On Playa." I understand confidence, but I would temper the comparison to Julius Peppers and Aldon Smith. I understand his physical attributes (6-5, 266 lbs.), but the same as veterans, you have got to prove yourself and get into that playbook to start. What is everyone's take on Chandler Jones' comparison to both Julius Pepper and Aldon Smith, say whatever it is you have to say.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Re: Chandler Jones comparison

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Jones said he modeled his game after Peppers and Smith.  In either case, I don't think it's a huge deal.  I'm glad he's confident, but I'm sure BB will humble him too.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mooney12. Show Mooney12's posts

There are 2 threads that compare extremely like this one.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from millergrnv. Show millergrnv's posts

In Response to Re: Chandler Jones comparison:
    [QUOTE]Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Jones said he modeled his game after Peppers and Smith.  In either case, I don't think it's a huge deal.  I'm glad he's confident, but I'm sure BB will humble him too.
    Posted by titletownfan[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

When asked who he would like to play like: Chicago Bears defensive end) Julius Peppers is a great player," the rookie defensive end said when asked who he would like to play like. "(San Francisco 49ers linebacker) Aldon Smith is another great guy I model my game after."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mav31rick. Show mav31rick's posts

I think he talks the talk.  Remains to be seen if he can produce.  On paper he looks slow (offensive lineman slow).  He doesnt have to still set of top pass rushers in lead in terms of power or speed, but he is tall and does have long arms.  His playing weight was 247 lbs last season, which is about the size of most linebackers.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Jones said he modeled his game after Peppers and Smith.  In either case, I don't think it's a huge deal.  I'm glad he's confident, but I'm sure BB will humble him too.
    Posted by titletownfan[/QUOTE]

exactly. player she admired and hopes to emulate. aint nothin wroong with that.... playa... (and it wasnt about confidence, but who hed like to emulate).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]I think he talks the talk.  Remains to be seen if he can produce.  On paper he looks slow (offensive lineman slow).  He doesnt have to still set of top pass rushers in lead in terms of power or speed, but he is tall and does have long arms.  His playing weight was 247 lbs last season, which is about the size of most linebackers.
    Posted by mav31rick[/QUOTE]

i believe hell be 280 approx in a year (265 now and looks skinny). and in 2 years have his football iq. look for some big play then.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

It's kind of weird, but in body type (weight and length) I do think he looks the part of a Peppers. I think Aldon Smith is a bit more angular/lighter - and I'm not really sure if he's the real deal yet anyhow (he's done something as a part time rusher on a loaded defense). The thing is though, Chandler didn't test out like those two guys...running a 4.87 is not the same as running a 4.5...I think that was the range of Peppers and Smith.

From everything I've read Chandler has as much pass rush potential as anyone. To me, from what I've watched, he looks like a guy that will probably gain another ten pounds and make a real good 43 defensive end. This guy looks big, he kind of reminds me of a young Anthony Pleasant/Bruce Smith...that long, high cut defensive end type.   

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Chandler Jones- 6'6 - 265lb, 4.87 40yard, 4.38 20 yard SS, 7.07 3 cone, Bench 22 Aldon Smith- 6'4.5, 263lb, 4.74 40yard, 4.50 20 yard SS, 7.19 3 cone, Bench 20 Julius Peppers- 6'7, 290lb, 4.68 40, Bench 22 Peppers was a freak, but he didn't workout at the combine, and apparently didn't do much at his pro day so I can't really compare. I don't know that any of these drills matter that much. Jones had a relatively mediocre 40 time but was fast in the 3 cone and SS.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Would you rather him aspire to play like Vernon Gholston?  He never said he's as good as those guys, just that he models his game after them and would like to become that type of player.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KillaCam2010. Show KillaCam2010's posts

[QUOTE]Would you rather him aspire to play like Vernon Gholston?  He never said he's as good as those guys, just that he models his game after them and would like to become that type of player.  
    Posted by pyegian[/QUOTE]

Haha thats too funny.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]Chandler Jones- 6'6 - 265lb, 4.87 40yard, 4.38 20 yard, 7.07 3 cone, Bench 22 Aldon Smith- 6'4.5, 263lb, 4.74 40yard, 4.50 20 yard, 7.19 3 cone, Bench 20 Julius Peppers- 6'7, 290lb, 4.68 40, Bench 22 Peppers was a freak, but he didn't workout at the combine, and apparently didn't do much at his pro day so I can't really compare. I don't know that any of these drills matter that much. Jones had a relatively mediocre 40 time but was fast in the 3 cone and SS.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

Hmm...maybe he will be able to play outside linebacker? I'm surprised he ran the 20 yarder faster than Smith. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ayisyen. Show Ayisyen's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Chandler Jones comparison : Hmm...maybe he will be able to play outside linebacker? I'm surprised he ran the 20 yarder faster than Smith. 
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

He didn't he was slower, he was just better at all the other events.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 15315k. Show 15315k's posts

Confidence is always good. You can be confident without even being vocal about it. I may tell people that this guy is going to be tough to beat or I will have to have my absolute best fight to win but deep down inside, without expressing it, I absolutely  know that I am going to win.  Believing it makes a HUGE difference imo. Jones is a great athlete and hopefully a nasty competitor like his brother. 

Believing and being confident is always a factor in ones performance. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

I think Jones could really become a player, but Julius Peppers he is not.  Rare, rare athlete we're talking about in Peppers, him and Haynesworth are the two most naturally talented defensive linemen i've seen come out in the last decade or so.  Jones is very athletic, but Peppers was from the same galaxy as Randy Moss, they're just on another plane.  Really speaks to how lazy AH is that he's done so little with such immense talent....sigh.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]I think Jones could really become a player, but Julius Peppers he is not.  Rare, rare athlete we're talking about in Peppers, him and Haynesworth are the two most naturally talented defensive linemen i've seen come out in the last decade or so.  Jones is very athletic, but Peppers was from the same galaxy as Randy Moss, they're just on another plane.  Really speaks to how lazy AH is that he's done so little with such immense talent....sigh.
    Posted by andrewmcintosh[/QUOTE]

whoa there.  Peppers is a rare athlete

Haynesworth wasn't on that level, either.  He was on the level with B.J. Raji, Ndamakung Suh, and Mario Williams

DeMarcus Ware is on that level.  So is Jason Pierre-Paul.  And Dwight Freeney.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

CJ looks like JPP to me. Still raw, still growing, very athletic. Needs patience and coaching. Let's see what we have in 3 years, but expect CJ to get maybe 15-20% of the snaps this year. I would like to see the Pats DL when not getting penetration get their hands up and feet off the ground. Looks like CJ will be able to do this.