Changes to forums and comments

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCDottie. Show BDCDottie's posts

Changes to forums and comments

Hi everybody,

As you can see, we've launched new discussion forums, article comments, and personal profiles on the site. We've always relied on software from other companies to power our user tools.  But during the past few months, we've built our own – we think this will give us more flexibility and control over these features.

Here in the forums, we had to delay the implementation of some of the features that you like: The gold star that brings you to the first unread comment, Ignore this user, spell check, add an image, and some others. We have a working list of items to restore in the coming days and weeks.

There’s a fuller explainer here: http://www.boston.com/community/note_to_bostoncom_users/

Please leave a comment here about any features that are missing that I didn't mention in the note linked above, or if you're having any technical issues.

Thanks.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Re: Changes to forums and comments

Hi Dottie,

I noticed some of the threads failed to reappear, specifically mbeaulieu07s annual draft thread started a couple of days ago.

Thanks.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Can we still have threads pinned to the top?  If so, will you please pin the Patriots Sunday Bunch thread to the top again?

Also, I do like to add images to my posts, how long is this option going to be on hiatus for?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to Changes to forums and comments:

Can we still have threads pinned to the top?  If so, will you please pin the Patriots Sunday Bunch thread to the top again?

Also, I do like to add images to my posts, how long is this option going to be on hiatus for?

BCDottie: Certain threads do not need to be pinned atop all others, just because a handful of posters are interested in them. The Fantasy Football thread that he wants to have pinned atop all others has no business being included within a forum page entitled "Patriots on the Front Burner". It has absolutely nothing to do with the Patriots, or real football. Multiple sights already exist to quench his fantasy football thirsts, elsewhere. He hopes to have it pinned above all, in order to direct and/or dictate the trend of discussions on this forum. He has admitted this in a previous post, dealing with this same subject.  

Again, I ask that the practice of pinning certain threads atop all others not be allowed. If a thread is popular, it will sustain itself...and will not need to be propped up by permanently listing it above all others. Such a practice would likely have the detrimental effect of causing the dialogue on the forum to grow stale, and would discourage current, real football related discussions. Furthermore, how many other posters will request similar preferential treatment, regarding threads that are of interest to them...or in order to satisfy their own selfish desires, or ego?

In closing, I've been posting on this forum for almost a decade. It has evolved into one of the finest Patriots/NFL forums in the country. This has somehow been accomplished over the years, without giving preferential treatment to certain posters, regarding threads that are of interest to them. To do so would be akin to going down a slippery slope, that need not, and should not, be ventured upon.        

Thank you for your consideration, and kind attention to this matter.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

This is the best Patriots forum anywhere. I haven't seen another one thats close.  We need to keep the drama out and continue to talk all Patriots.  Thanks for a great forum!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Hi Dottie,

I noticed some of the threads failed to reappear, specifically mbeaulieu07s annual draft thread started a couple of days ago.

Thanks.

Dottie...the mbeaulieu07 2013 NFL Draft thread has nothing to do with "Patriots on the Front Burner", or the 2012 NFL season. It certainly  should not merit preferential treatment, by pinning it atop all other threads, for the same reasons which I cited in my "letter" to you, above, regarding the Fantasy Football thread. 

The 2013 draft is 9 months away. To attempt to predict which players will be selected by which NFL team, prior to the completion of both the 2012 NFL and NCAA seasons, is an exercise in futility.

Be that as it may, unlike the Fantasy Football thread, the 2013 draft thread deals with real football. Mbeaulieu and a handful of others discuss the merits of college players, at each position. Because it deals with real football, there should be a place for that thread on this forum.  

Again...it should not receive preferential treatment by being permanently pinned atop all other threads. Though a handful of posters really get into discussing college prospects year round, most posters and football fans don't start paying attention to the draft until the conclusion of the 2012 football season...around February. Until that time, the NFL Draft thread will occasionally disappear from view, due to lack of interest.

But, from February through May, draft talk dominates the forum. Rather than start separate threads on the upcoming draft, most posters prefer to post under the thread, with the general title of, 2013 NFL Draft. During this time, a very large number of posts tend to accumulate under this one thread. It is similar to the way posts accumulate under the Patriots' Game Day posts, which are always started by the poster, Rocky.

Over the years, there's never been a need to prop up the NFL Draft thread by affixing the thread atop all others. If a thread is of interest, it sustains itself...and posters don't, and won't have any problems finding it. 

Thank you again for your kind attention. Please excuse any spelling errors (I really miss the spell-check feature!) Have a good day!   

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

BDCDottie,

The Patriots Sunday Bunch Fantasy Football thread is going to be a continuous thread that will be used all season long and it's going to be a very large thread.   The thread was started on 8/24 and it is already 6 pages long and 142 posts so far, and the season hasn't even started yet.  As I mentioned, this is going to be a large thread, It will probabably be one of the largest, if not the largest thread in this forum by the time the season is over.  The people who post in this thread are all members who post often in the Patriots on the Front Burner forum.  And it's not only members who are playing in the Fantasy league who are posting in this thread, there are several members who don't even play in the Fantasy League who just like to watch and follow along and comment as the season goes on.  It is just so convienent for everyone to have the Fantasy thread in this forum and at the top of the forum which makes it so easy to find.

Members who post in this thread aren't here just to post in the Fantasy Football thread, we are members who happen to be some of the most frequent posters on this forum.  The members who post in the Fantasy thread are some of the main supporters of the Patriots on the front burner forum!  Without going into members names, here are some of the members post counts who post in this thread...  4238, 4532, 3221, 3027, 6149, 1535, 610, 810, 3554, 7630, 650, 675, to list a few.  There are several more with lower post counts but as you can see the people who are involved in this thread are members of this site who frequently occupy and post in this Patriots on the Front Burner forum the most.

TexasPat thinks there should be a seperate forum for Fantasy Football.  This would be a good idea if there were going to be many threads being made about Fantasy Football, but from past years expereince there won't be.  This is going to be the only thread about Fantasy Football all season long, as was the case last season.  Why have a seperate forum for Fantasy Football when there is only going to be one thread about Fantasy Football?  It also allows us members who post in the Patriots on the front burner forum to stay in that forum not have to jump around from forum to forum in order to post threads in the correct forum.  It just doesn't make sense to have to do that for one thread.

TexasPat also states that the Fantasy Football thread has nothing to do with the Patriots and doesn't belong in the Patriots on the front burner forum.  Well I can understand his point on this, however, that could be said about half the threads that are made in this forum.  There are so many threads made in the Patriots on the Front Burner forum that are about other teams, other players on other teams, issues that are going on around the league, even threads that have nothing to do about football get posted in here because thats the main forum that everyone hangs out in.  It's just the way it works.  Forum Moderators would have to constantly move threads all day and night long to make sure threads were kept in the right forums as TexasPat would like.  It would be more trouble then it is worth.  While that was probably the intent when the forums were first set up, it never worked out that way and it never will.  It's just the nature of how forums eventually end up on the internet.  Why, because it is just so very inconvenient to jump around to all the different forums depending on what the topic is about.  There were sub forms previously for different topics but they were never used and it doesn't make sense to force that now, certainly not for one Fantasy Football thread.

I hope you will allow the Patriots Sunday Bunch Fantasy Football thread to be pinned to the top of the Patriots on the Front Burner forum based on the points I have made in this post.  Thank you for your consideration to this matter.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

He hopes to have it pinned above all, in order to direct and/or dictate the trend of discussions on this forum.

Come on TexasPat, you know that is not the reason at all.  It could also be said that you are trying to direct and/or dictate the trend of discussion on this forum by not wantining this thread to be in this forum, let alone pinned to the top.

The reason for threads to be pinned to the top of forums are for either the importance of the thread or for the convenience to the members to have the thread at the top due to it's popularity.  While I certainly won't argue that the thread is more important then others, I will argue that the activity that this thread is going to generate would certainly qualify it to be pinned at the for the convenience to us members, due to the popularity of the thread.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

Ok, Dottie is LQQKing for solutions on this matter. I address BDC Dottie here.

I will NOT address Texpat or TFB12 on this issue because I hold them both in High esteem. I/we enjoy you both as much valued and informed contributors.

Solution:

To me the 'RED ink' is an issue as well as wanting to have two certain popular Posts at the top of the 'front burner'. Very EASY solution here! The software dictates and controls the website appearance etc. Dottie, just have the your Website programmers maintain the Fantasy Football and Draft Threads at the top, WITHOUT the RED INK.

This can easily be done with a simple twist of the wrist by just deleting the RED ink color implicit call in the function or more easily just change the RED to Black. Leave the rest as is and it will always have the 2 Threads in question at the top in Black and NOBODY will even notice that this is in fact is all your IT programmers did. It takes 10 minutes for a IT programmer to accomplish and 2 minutes to test it.

Everyone is happy!

Getting late ....yawn...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE] Ok, Dottie is LQQKing for solutions on this matter. I address BDC Dottie here.

I will NOT address Texpat or TFB12 on this issue because I hold them both in High esteem. I/we enjoy you both as much valued and informed contributors.

Solution:

To me the 'RED ink' is an issue as well as wanting to have two certain popular Posts at the top of the 'front burner'. Very EASY solution here! The software dictates and controls the website appearance etc. Dottie, just have the your Website programmers maintain the Fantasy Football and Draft Threads at the top, WITHOUT the RED INK.

This can easily be done with a simple twist of the wrist by just deleting the RED ink color implicit call in the function or more easily just change the RED to Black. Leave the rest as is and it will always have the 2 Threads in question at the top in Black and NOBODY will even notice that this is in fact is all your IT programmers did. It takes 10 minutes for a IT programmer to accomplish and 2 minutes to test it.

Everyone is happy!

Getting late ....yawn...[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the kind words and I agree with your post.  This is a good solution, imo.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

Dottie is LQQKing for agreement here. What do you say?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

http://www.quad-a.org/images/pdf/Magazine/June2012/Reese_0612.pdf

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Links don't work anymore.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Agreed!  Lets make this happen now, please!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

I have to agree this is the best compromise that will work so everyone will be at least a little happier on the forum.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

It seems a lot of people have stopped posting here since the update.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seymonster. Show seymonster's posts

texaspat get the broom out of your butt seriously.   whats the difference?  people are enjoying some messageboards why are you trying to be the guy who hinders that?

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Couple of things missing namely the edit, ignore, and spell check features. Additionally the quote function seems to be a bit off where it's doesn't mention the original posters screen name, has a weird quote stacking, and won't actually shadow quote on occassion instead leaving the base code up. Other then that it looks pretty good Dottie

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheTinMan. Show TheTinMan's posts

The real solution here is to set this up so that an individual's forum favorites or preferences are attached to their PROFILE.
    That way, each user can set their own preferences and mark whatever threads they want to appear at the top of the particular discussion board.
    So, each user gets to see what they want in the order they want, and no one's preferences get forced onto anyone else.
    That seems like a good solution to me.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

@BDCDottie- I am an old man and I do NOT like change! I just have one question. How are the lists of threads posted? They dont go by most recent post anymore. The thread on top now had the last comment 21 hours ago, then below it the thread had a comment 10 mins ago. Can you put these in chronological order like it used to be? Thank you for trying to provide us a good Patriots talk forum.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

BDCDottie,

The Patriots Sunday Bunch Fantasy Football thread is going to be a continuous thread that will be used all season long and it's going to be a very large thread.   The thread was started on 8/24 and it is already 6 pages long and 142 posts so far, and the season hasn't even started yet.  As I mentioned, this is going to be a large thread, It will probabably be one of the largest, if not the largest thread in this forum by the time the season is over.  The people who post in this thread are all members who post often in the Patriots on the Front Burner forum.  And it's not only members who are playing in the Fantasy league who are posting in this thread, there are several members who don't even play in the Fantasy League who just like to watch and follow along and comment as the season goes on.  It is just so convienent for everyone to have the Fantasy thread in this forum and at the top of the forum which makes it so easy to find.

Members who post in this thread aren't here just to post in the Fantasy Football thread, we are members who happen to be some of the most frequent posters on this forum.  The members who post in the Fantasy thread are some of the main supporters of the Patriots on the front burner forum!  Without going into members names, here are some of the members post counts who post in this thread...  4238, 4532, 3221, 3027, 6149, 1535, 610, 810, 3554, 7630, 650, 675, to list a few.  There are several more with lower post counts but as you can see the people who are involved in this thread are members of this site who frequently occupy and post in this Patriots on the Front Burner forum the most.

TexasPat thinks there should be a seperate forum for Fantasy Football.  This would be a good idea if there were going to be many threads being made about Fantasy Football, but from past years expereince there won't be.  This is going to be the only thread about Fantasy Football all season long, as was the case last season.  Why have a seperate forum for Fantasy Football when there is only going to be one thread about Fantasy Football?  It also allows us members who post in the Patriots on the front burner forum to stay in that forum not have to jump around from forum to forum in order to post threads in the correct forum.  It just doesn't make sense to have to do that for one thread.

TexasPat also states that the Fantasy Football thread has nothing to do with the Patriots and doesn't belong in the Patriots on the front burner forum.  Well I can understand his point on this, however, that could be said about half the threads that are made in this forum.  There are so many threads made in the Patriots on the Front Burner forum that are about other teams, other players on other teams, issues that are going on around the league, even threads that have nothing to do about football get posted in here because thats the main forum that everyone hangs out in.  It's just the way it works.  Forum Moderators would have to constantly move threads all day and night long to make sure threads were kept in the right forums as TexasPat would like.  It would be more trouble then it is worth.  While that was probably the intent when the forums were first set up, it never worked out that way and it never will.  It's just the nature of how forums eventually end up on the internet.  Why, because it is just so very inconvenient to jump around to all the different forums depending on what the topic is about.  There were sub forms previously for different topics but they were never used and it doesn't make sense to force that now, certainly not for one Fantasy Football thread.

I hope you will allow the Patriots Sunday Bunch Fantasy Football thread to be pinned to the top of the Patriots on the Front Burner forum based on the points I have made in this post.  Thank you for your consideration to this matter.

Dottie...if his thread is as popular and as interesting as he claims, why then is there a need to permanently affix it atop of all others? TFL seeks to direct discussions on this forum to Fantasy Football. FF has no place on a forum page entitled "Pastriots on the Front Burner"...nor is it relevant to the 2012 season. This is merely a selfish and egotistical attempt on his part to try to direct and dictate discussions here...by his own admission. As I have stated previously, giving FF a preferential, permanent spot atop all other threads would be detrimental in many ways to to this Patriots forum.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Quaggie, the threads are still in chronological order it's just that the first two threads are "pinned" to the top. This is what TexPat is vehemently arguing against happening with the draft and fantasy football threads and I don't disagree with him.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE] Ok, Dottie is LQQKing for solutions on this matter. I address BDC Dottie here.

Solution:

RESPONSE: LOL!!! Nice try. The red ink is not the problem. The problem lies with you selfishly trying to direct/dictate the nature of discussions, on subject that have absolutely nothing to do with the title, Patriots on the Front Burner. Again, if your FF thread and the 2013 NFL draft thread are so wonderful and popular, why is there a need to keep them permanently affixed atop all other threads?  

RESPONSE: Why is there a need top do this, other than to satisfy your ego, and own selfish cravings for Fantasy Football? There are a multitude of forums which discuss nothing else. This is, and has been, a place to discuss the Pats, and REAL football. Doing what you wish to do threatens to change that.

Everyone is happy!

RESPONSE: No...you, sand your relatively small band of fellow fantacizers will be happy.

Getting late ....yawn...[/QUOTE]

RESPONSE: Try leaving the FF wars a bit earlier from now on, and get some sleep! LOL!! 

[/QUOTE]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

" you selfishly trying to direct/dictate the nature of discussions"

Isn't this what you are trying to do by saying which discussions are and aren't allowed on this board, based on what you feel is relevant?