Changes to forums and comments

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Changes to forums and comments

In response to AcheNot's comment:

I've seen you here for a long time. You used to have a dogs picture on your avitar. Texas has been here too, he does the report cards. I go back to 2005 but lost my original handle after not using it for a year, they had made some changes

Wow. Good memory. It's a picture of my dog, William, a Boston Terrier

2005, huh? That was when this board ran smoothly, remember? Seems like a long time ago

Nice to know there's another board 'old timer' around here besides me:)

Peace

lol there are quite a few actually. I was under a different name back then. Mine was lost in the 08' switch over. I can't even remember what it was 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

The change to the board in '08 was brutal. Much worse than this one has been so far. Anyone who survived it deserves a prize. Most of my friends here left because of it

Prior to '08 we actually had a Search function that worked

Ah, memories...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Nice KO punch AcheNot.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

Back in 06 I was a casual observer then signed up in 07 but had my account deleted or it magically dissapeared, who knows what happened with the last forum update years ago . I am now under this name, I think a lot of us have been here a long time under many different names. I have to agree with acheknot that the search function has been one of the biggest thing lacking on these forums in a long time.

I still think we need to take a vote on this whole stick or not sticky issue, it seems to be the only fair way to go about this. That is unless BDC actually has a plan so that we can customize features and other improvements that would make navigating to popular threads easier.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to Changes to forums and comments:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

PS Last week you would have been thrilled simply to have the FF thread restored after it had been deleted

Now one week later it seems you wont be fully satisfied until the FF thread is pinned

Makes me wonder what youll be seeking next week:)

Peace

[/QUOTE]

I don't think this is the case. The sticky was a trial period and we all said lets see how it goes. If Dottie made the decision that it shouldn't have been stickied after the trial period or even at all I think we would all have accepted it and no one would have cared. This is because Dottie is the mod and Dottie is the one that makes the ultimate decisions.

However, what I think got all our blood boiling was TP demanding the sitcky be removed and that the thread we all enjoy shouldn't even be on the board because he thinks it's irrelevant. He was demanding action by Dottie to dictate the direction in which what should or shouldn't be posted because it annoyed him while we asked Dottie for the permission and relie on Dotties authorite to make the decision.

RESPONSE: What BS!! Talk about revisionist history...LOL!!! It was not I that sought to direct and/or dictate discussions here, by insisting on having your FF thread placed permanently atop all other threads. That was you. I took a stand against the attempt by you and your handful of fanatical fantasizers to wrest control of the discussion content. Fortunately, the majority of other poster and Dottie also saw through your little egotistical game, and put a stop to it. To them, my thanks.    

Now it's just a battle of people who enjoy those threads not wanting to be bullied and told whether our enjoyment is relevant or not by someone who isn't even an authority on the board when the actual authority was the one who approved the trial period to begin with

RESPONSE: More misrepresentations, and flat out lies. As I've stated repeatedly, even though I abhor FF, and believe it's not relevant to the Patyriots and real football issues, I could care less if you get to have your silly little FF sewing circle thread here. My objection was to your self admitted attempt to direct and or dictate the conversations here, by insisting on having the FF thread permanantly affixed above all others.
    [/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

/QUOTE] 

Maybe you have a couple different screen names.  After all TexasPat said he has been posting over 10 years and has thousands of posts.  Wonder why his current screen name is showing just over 1k?.

RESPONSE: TFL, what has gotten into you? Here you go, misrepresenting facts again! As you know, I have already explained to you in a previous post that I am both TexasPat and TexasPat3. Not that it matters, but if you add up the two, it is nearly 10,000 posts...plus an additional 5000 other posts I lost when, for some reason unknown to me, I got banned.

Maybe he has several screen names or worse, been kicked off here several times before and created a new one or more then one.

RESPONSE: More lies. It happened once, about 8 years ago.  

Whatever the case may be, I am done discussing this.  Right or wrong,  what is done is done!

RESPONSE: Fine! In addition, I would greatly appreciate it if, in the future, you would confine your fantasies to your FF thread, and not in regards to me.

[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

- And TFB, I'm sorry, but the consensus seems to be that I NOT make FF sticky, so why don't we go with that for now.

I don't see why you think the consensus seems to be against this, there are at least 15-20 people who post in the FF thread that believe it should be stickied.  I don't see that many people saying no to allowing it.  What I have noticed is a few people with low post counts saying no to it while those with high post counts asking for it.  Are you really going to cater to those who post on here every so often instead the people who are on here participating all the time?  Heck, some of the people who are saying no to this I have never seen on the Patriots forum until today.  How strange is that?  And I would know, I'm here all the time!!

RESPONSE: More misrepresentations and lies. As I have indicated to you, 70% of the first 165 posts in your silly FF thread are back and forths between you, and four other of your FF minions. What difference does it make whether people post here once, or 10,000 times? Many people just come here to read the various posts, within threads of interest to them. NYPats, who you excuse of never being here and rarely posting, has actually been around for about as long as I have. He is one of those posters who rather read, than post...and is a good guy. If you ever can take your nose out of the FF world for a few seconds, you might get to know more people who post here. 

Also, I don't understand why you approve it one day and then deny it the next due to some people getting their feelings hurt that maybe their threads dont get pinned to the top.  Like it even matters whos threads do and whos doesn't.  Apparently TexasPat figured it was a popularity contest instead of what it actually is.... a nice convinenece for forum members who visit and post here all the time, asking to have a thread that will be used more then any other thread on here during the season to be pinned to the top for convienence to us members who are always here.

RESPONSE: More lies. This has nothing to do with "convenience to forum members who post here all the time". By your own admission, it was an attempt by you and your FF minions to take control over the discussion content on this forum.  

I disagree with your decision, it goes against the very reason why thread should be stickied to the top.

RESPONSE: This statement makes absolutely no sense.

But if that is your final decision, like it or not, I will say no more about it.

[/QUOTE]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to AcheNot's comment:

I've seen you here for a long time. You used to have a dogs picture on your avitar. Texas has been here too, he does the report cards. I go back to 2005 but lost my original handle after not using it for a year, they had made some changes

Wow. Good memory. It's a picture of my dog, William, a Boston Terrier

2005, huh? That was when this board ran smoothly, remember? Seems like a long time ago

Nice to know there's another board 'old timer' around here besides me:)

Peace

lol there are quite a few actually. I was under a different name back then. Mine was lost in the 08' switch over. I can't even remember what it was 

[/QUOTE]

yeah, I don't really know what happened to my account. I was never banned or in arguements with anyone. I left for about 6 months or so and it was gone, as if it never existed. Oh well, this place is the best forum for Patriots talk that I know of. I find espn's forums to be brutal, it's non stop insults and most of the people there certainly don't have anything nice to say about the Patriots.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Dottie, I realize that you folks are trying to improve the forum, and perhaps cut costs in the process. But, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! Several years ago a new system was put in that was awful...and had to be seriously modified. Here are some suggestions as to how the new system could be improved:

1.) Any time I use an apostrophe "s" in a word, I am getting flagged for using a banned word...and told to change it;

2.) Every time I leave the forum to go to another cite, I have to log in anew again, to get back in;

3.) It is confusing when trying to respond to another posters thread. Several posts are jumbled together;

4.) You already know about the need to restore the spell-check, edit, and ignore features. At one time. around 8-9 years ago, it was possible to ignore entire threads. But, as I mentioned above, that function got lost when The Globe went to a different system;

5.) Do away with the "Around the NFL" portion of this football cite. Threads go there to die, and never see the light of day. Patriots on the Front Burner should be expanded to include any and all discussions on real football issues.

6.) Though Fantasy Football has nothing to do with real football issues, or the Patriots, it apparently is very important to a handful of FF zealots here. I suggest letting them have their thread. Ditto with the 2013 NFL thread, which at least deals with football issues. But,  stickies are aren't needed. They tend to be detrimental to the quality, and discussion content of this forum. 

Thank you again, for your anticipated kind attentions to these matters.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to freediro's comment:

The fantasy thread will be on the front page all year long so what is the big deal about pinning it to the top. Also how does the fact that the thread is very popular strengthen TP's argument and weaken TFB's?

RESPONSE: I reject your premise that the thread is very popular. It is being sustained by you, TFL, PatsEng, BostonSportsFanIII, , and Homecheese, or Swiss Cheese, or whatever he calls himself. As I have demonstrated, you five have contributed 70% of all posts in that thread. The remaining 30% is made up of the other members within your FF league. So please, stop with the nonsense that this thread is wildly popular.  

Stickies are for large popular threads, that is why TFB and many others want the thread to be stickied to the top, because that's what you do in forums!

RESPONSE: Says who...you? By his own admission, TFL requested the sticky in order to direct and/or dictate the discussion content on this forum.

You're going to see the Fantasy Football thread all year long having it pinned at the top so everyone knows where it is and can just scroll past it if they don't want to post in it.

RESPONSE: Why should those of us who are not involved in your little fantasy sewing circle have your silly thread rubbed in our faces every day? If it is as popular as you claim, it shall sustain itself near the top of all other threads, even without a sticky. Don't you agree? 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to freediro's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

TexPat, TFB12 and all the rest of you, please join me now......"Kumbaya my lord........kumbaya....."

Sorry...but this guy is trying to ruin our forum by directing and/or dictating the discussions held here...by his own admission. This forum is the best place to talk Patriots and football...and I will not quietly stand by and watch him and his minions damage it.   

[/QUOTE]
    Dude speak for yourself, who is "our" that you are talking about? You talk about how there are only 4 or 5 guys mainly posting in the Fantasy Football thread, altough there are still plenty of other posters and not league members posting.

RESPONSE: Nonsense! It's the core 5 of you fantasizers who account for 70% of the posts there. Clearly you 5 are sustaining the thread. Without you 5, it dies. But, don't take my word for it. Go add up the posts yourself.

Yet you really are alone when it comes to your argument. Tcal jsut doesn't like that it is in red, if it was in black I am sure he would get over it.

RESPONSE: Obviously, you have a selective memory, my friend.

Not to mention that you are constantly saying we are tyring to dictate what goes on in the forum, yet you yourself are dictating to Dottie what YOU want done in this forum.

RESPONSE: Your fantasy leader, TFL, has admitted to this.

Can you be anymore of a contradiction, you have no real argument besides you don't like the idea and that's all. It's comman place to have sticky threads at the top of the forums, whether thestickies are directly involved with the forum(a group of Pats fans disucssing football realted topics would qualify as being directly involved with the front burner) or just an easy access point for a popular topic.

RESPONSE: Where has it been "common place". Ive been posting on this forum for about a decade, and I haven't seen where stickies are "common place". Occasionally, Dottie will use a sticky to post information, or set the tone for discussions on the forum. Whenever that happens, the great majority of posters have frowned upon the practice. People who post here don't want to be directed to discussions, or dictated to as to what should be discussed. 

We have at least tried to make a compromise so everyone is at least a little happier, you sir just want it your way or the highway.

RESPONSE: No sir. You and your merry band of fantasizers tried to take control over the discussion content here, to suit your own selfish and egotistical desires. 

[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to tcal2 comment:

I won't be happy till there is a Constitional Amendment banning any Fantasy sport...

LOL!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Gamer...you stated the following: "Sorry TFB as much as I disagree with Texas Pat he has been here for a long time, he is a victim of the changes on this board at one time I think he had 10,000 posts ( ok correct me if i'm wrong)

RESPONSE: No Gamer, you are not wrong...and TFL knows it.

I've also been here for a while too I should have at least 5000 posts.  What I don't like about TP is it's his way or no way.

RESPONSE: Come on, Gamer! Admit that you're biased on this Fantasy Football issue, since you yourself are a member of the FF league that TFL is in.
         Truth be known, when I learned that this was the case, I nearly reversed field, and asked TFL if I could join the league, too! Suddenly, his Fantasy Football league appeared to be the place to be!!  ;)  

a couple of years ago he railed about players wearing pink for breast cancer-- of coarse i challenged him and it went on and on and on and on ! !

RESPONSE: Still hate the pink, Gamer. I hated seeing political correctness invade the NFL.

I think he has some good points but as I said it has to be his way or no way  and BTW I think his report card is bull".

RESPONSE: My report cards are bull???!!! Auggghhhh...Gamer!!!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Wow, TexasPat seems to be off his meds and has just gone off on pretty much everyone on the forum.  Hey Toilet Paper, did you really go off on this forum because NFL players were wearing pink in support of breast cancer?  If so, that's pretty low dude!!  But seeing how you treat others around here I clearly believe the person who told that about you!!  It sounds like it would be something you would do.

Sorry TP but Fantasy Sports have been a big deal for many years now.  Look at all the websites (ESPN, NFL, CBS, FOX, YAHOO) who have invested big money to host these Fantasy Football sports.  It's huge buddy,  sorry that you just can't admit how big it is.  Look at any football forum and there will be Fantasy Football discussions on there.  It's a shame you are to ignorant to acknowledge how popular fantasy sports are.  And it's funny how you like to make fun of us who play by calling us little names when in fact you are the odd one out.  It's unreal the amount of people who play in these leagues yet you seem to have such a hard time accepting it.  Fantasy Football is huge, I am amazed you don't understand that.  Not sure why you are such a hater, maybe nobody has ever wanted you to participate.  Seeing how badly you must have your own way about things, I can understand why people wouldn't want you involved.

What really strikes me as funny is this comment by you... " By his own admission, TFL requested the sticky in order to direct and/or dictate the discussion content on this forum."   Bwahahahahaha!!  you are nuts, man!!  Asking for one thread to be pinned to the top is not directing and/or dictating the discussion content on this forum.  It's ONE thread!!!  Not many threads, just ONE thread!  How could anybody in their right mind think that is directing and/or dictating the discussion content of the forum???? 

I will let you be now, you miserable old man, you continue to write your Patriots grading reports and argue with everyone else on here.  I will gladly ignore you once that feature is up and running here.  It's people like you who drag places like this down.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

TexasPat and TFB12, I normally enjoy both yall's posts, but right now this thread is turning (has turned) into a Romney Obama debate! Nobody will win and everybody gets dirty. Let it go and celebrate the good things about this new forum; primarily that we havent seen CC in here since the change!!! Thanks for that BDCDottie!! But Dottie I must agree with most posters here, this new forum sucks! I never understood why folks would rush to change things, when the alternative is to take your time, have all the new software in place, and make the complete change at one time when fully prepared.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

I agree with Quagmire. I dont think this discussion was opened to give personal preferences as to what should and should not appear on the first page (i.e. certain forums 'stickied' to the front page). I think this one was set up for how the forum performs and what enhancements are needed.

Other than the ones that people have already suggested (the ignore button, spell check etc.), the main change I would like to see is that if you are on the Patriots front page on Boston.com, and you click on discussions, you should be taken directly to the Patriots On The Front Burner discussion, not be brought to the front page of ALL discussion groups. This used to be the case, then it somehow got to be you were linked to the Sports discussions front page, now you are linked to the generic Forums page where you then have to search out the Patriots.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from olivern. Show olivern's posts

In response to TFB12s comment:

BDCDottie,

The Patriots Sunday Bunch Fantasy Football thread is going to be a continuous thread that will be used all season long and it's going to be a very large thread.   The thread was started on 8/24 and it is already 6 pages long and 142 posts so far, and the season hasn't even started yet.  As I mentioned, this is going to be a large thread, It will probabably be one of the largest, if not the largest thread in this forum by the time the season is over.  The people who post in this thread are all members who post often in the Patriots on the Front Burner forum.  And it's not only members who are playing in the Fantasy league who are posting in this thread, there are several members who don't even play in the Fantasy League who just like to watch and follow along and comment as the season goes on.  It is just so convienent for everyone to have the Fantasy thread in this forum and at the top of the forum which makes it so easy to find.

TexasPat thinks there should be a seperate forum for Fantasy Football.  This would be a good idea if there were going to be many threads being made about Fantasy Football, but from past years expereince there won't be.  This is going to be the only thread about Fantasy Football all season long, as was the case last season.  Why have a seperate forum for Fantasy Football when there is only going to be one thread about Fantasy Football?  It also allows us members who post in the Patriots on the front burner forum to stay in that forum not have to jump around from forum to forum in order to post threads in the correct forum.  It just doesn't make sense to have to do that for one thread.

FYI, I'm a frequent reader / infrequent poster....

I can't help but wonder what the downside of having a separate forum for FF is. The topic seems broad enough that the ability to split things into multiple threads would be beneficial from a manageability and searchability standpoint. Using the thread titles, one could tell at a glance whether the latest post is of interest to a particular reader, etc....

I can see that when the FF discussion resides in "On the front burner", it is advantageous to use a single thread to group all the FF discussions, and that outweighs the benefits of multiple FF threads in that context. When the FF discussion has its own forum, then multiple FF threads are automatically grouped together, so there is no need to restrict things to one thread.

Why not try a separate forum?  Just bookmark it the browser for easy access, and there is no temptation to keep bumping the FF thread to keep it visible (as has been recently suggested).

Not being a participant in the FF discussion, it may be none of my business. Can't help myself though!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Thank you for your comment Olivern.  I would rather not have a seperate Fantasy Football thread,  For some reason FF isn't big on this forum and we don't really get any other fantasy football threads besides the one big one that we are discussing here.  It is nice to have it in the main forum so us who use the Fantasy Football thread don't have to jump around from forum to forum.  It's more convienent for us.  It seems that the only real problem was it was allowed to be pinned to the top and some peoples feelings got hurt and made a big stink about it because they felt like we were getting some type of special treatment that they were not getting.  Now that it has been decided not to be pinned to the top, these same people seem to be fine with it in Patriots on the Front Burner forum now.  Pretty childish stuff.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbear3915. Show mbear3915's posts

We need to a) EDIT our own posts and b) get SPELLCHECKER

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

And add images...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from olivern. Show olivern's posts

In response to TFB12s comment:

Thank you for your comment Olivern.  I would rather not have a seperate Fantasy Football thread,  For some reason FF isnt big on this forum and we don't really get any other fantasy football threads besides the one big one that we are discussing here.  It is nice to have it in the main forum so us who use the Fantasy Football thread don't have to jump around from forum to forum.  It's more convienent for us.  It seems that the only real problem was it was allowed to be pinned to the top and some peoples feelings got hurt and made a big stink about it because they felt like we were getting some type of special treatment that they were not getting.  Now that it has been decided not to be pinned to the top, these same people seem to be fine with it in Patriots on the Front Burner forum now.  Pretty childish stuff.

Understood. I guess the Patriot fan FF thread is big, but not big enough to have a whole forum dedicated to it (and other more FF specific forums exist for more comprehensive discussions with a larger audience). You folks are the users of it so you know what works best.

The ability to have customized favorites would keep everybody happy, as numerous folks have mentioned. Slightly less convenient, but possible, in the meantime to bookmark the thread in ones browser.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Dottie--

Old software worked much better.  I'm sure you'll be able to work out all the bugs and add back features over time.  I wonder, though, if the Globe implemented too soon.  Seems like the new software still is far from ready to go. 

I appreciate the Globe providing access to these forums free of charge, so I won't complain--but I would worry about usage dropping off because of the software difficulties and I imagine that a lot of your advertising revenue comes from high usage, so that's not ideal for the Globe. 

A few specifics to correct:

The bullet feature doesn't seem to work
    Inserted quotes don't seem to be working consistently
    You can't change your avatar
    The "edit post" feature was very nice and is missing now
    Not sure you can add illustrations anymore
    Don't have the same flexibility to change font size and color
    Can't click directly to the last post in a thread--instead have to begin at the top of the thread and click "last" to get to the end

Thanks for you help with this!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Not sure if this is the experience of everyone else when they get logged off but,

If I try to log in using the log in link I get and error that account doesn't exist ( or something like that).  I have too go to the Register link and sign in there.....no errors.

Hey Dottie how about an ignore whining key.  This way I can block the post of whiners whining.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

Dottie, I realize that you folks are trying to improve the forum, and perhaps cut costs in the process. But, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! Several years ago a new system was put in that was awful...and had to be seriously modified. Here are some suggestions as to how the new system could be improved:

1.) Any time I use an apostrophe "s" in a word, I am getting flagged for using a banned word...and told to change it;

2.) Every time I leave the forum to go to another cite, I have to log in anew again, to get back in;

3.) It is confusing when trying to respond to another posters thread. Several posts are jumbled together;

4.) You already know about the need to restore the spell-check, edit, and ignore features. At one time. around 8-9 years ago, it was possible to ignore entire threads. But, as I mentioned above, that function got lost when The Globe went to a different system;

5.) Do away with the "Around the NFL" portion of this football cite. Threads go there to die, and never see the light of day. Patriots on the Front Burner should be expanded to include any and all discussions on real football issues.

6.) Though Fantasy Football has nothing to do with real football issues, or the Patriots, it apparently is very important to a handful of FF zealots here. I suggest letting them have their thread. Ditto with the 2013 NFL thread, which at least deals with football issues. But,  stickies are aren't needed. They tend to be detrimental to the quality, and discussion content of this forum. 

Thank you again, for your anticipated kind attentions to these matters.  

Good job Tex, you finally addressed the issues with the forum. I think BDC needs to hear back on specifics from guys like you have been a staple on this forum for years. I hope you guys can all put the "stciky" issue to bed and start focusing on helping BDC to pinpoint ALL of the issues we are having since the software change, like you have done above. Season starts in just over a week! GO PATS!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I alway have to "regiter" as well. I can't ue the  "log in".

I alo get logged out everytime I exit out of the BDC webite, not cloing my brower, and not powering down the computer.

As Texa aid above, reponding to another pot get confuing, and more then 1 respne become a cluter.

And poting from an I-Pad or phone is pretty difficult.

Oh you may have noticed above that we can't really ue the "S" for whatever reason LOL