Chargers Appear to Be Done

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re: Chargers Appear to Be Done

They were done when Norv Turner was hired as head coach...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Heres' a good article on the decline of the Chargers: http://www.examiner.com/x-7530-San-Diego-Sports-Examiner~y2009m10d21-Have-the-Chargers-maxed-out-their-potential

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasonh86. Show jasonh86's posts

In Response to Re: Chargers Appear to Be Done:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Chargers Appear to Be Done : The Raiders beat the Lifeless listless Eagles at home. The Raider have to play the Chargers in SD done deal for Rivers.San Diego lost at home to 2 playoff teams. Thanks for informing me that you can't win on paper you have to play the game great revelation Curtain. Mindboggling! I will agree with you on one thing the Norv will never win a super bowl. Calling 3 running plays in a row at the goal last night was ridiculous! The Chargers will make the playoffs because the AFC ,besides Denver and Pittsburgh, is weak.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't exactly say that.  The Pats are not a weak team. 

Denver is smoke and mirrors, they're not that great.  If Brady had his accuracy like it was against Tennessee, the Broncos would be 5-1, so would the Pats.  Two missed throws, that was all the difference in that game. 

Denver reminds me a lot like Miami last year; smoke and mirrors with an average QB.  I would love to see them come to Foxboro in the playoffs and allow the Pats to give them some payback.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

[QUOTE]They were done when Norv Turner was hired as head coach...
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

This was a pretty common sentiment around here when it happened, and while a Pats fan can always appreciate a team that bounes the Colts out of the playoffs -- this team was knocking on the Super Bowl's door when Norv stepped in, and has done nothing but regress during his tenure.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I guess the Chargers needed to keep Marty as the regular season coach, and Norv as the coach in the playoffs :^)  Marty was a tremendous coach whose teams posted good regular season records only to falter in the playoffs.  Norv is a terrible coach whose teams either barely make the playoffs, or not at all, but he does at least win playoff games.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Steelcurtain75. Show Steelcurtain75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Chargers Appear to Be Done : Blissman EVERY time he addresses me, it has some derogatory comment attached. and I mean every time. til he shows ME a little respect I will then applige. Til then.....his DBs are weak.   
    Posted by jbolted[/QUOTE]

Your right Jbolt, I don't usually enjoy posting anything derogatory, so I respect your reply, and I'll stick to just talking football from now on. Calling the Steelers DB's soft, that didn't bother me, because I've been saying for years that our pass defense is very suspect. I think it's a waste of time to try and run on the Steelers, I would throw on almost every down. For years now, the Steelers DB have played 10 0r 12 yards off the receiver, this is the first year in a long time that one of our cornrbacks, Ike Taylor, has actually been in the vicinity when a ball was thrown at the receiver he's covering. 'The Steelers Are Paper Tigers' a post that you kept repeating  as the Steelers went thru the playoffs last year, I felt was uncalled for. They weren't a great team by any stretch, but they beat  two good AFC teams, the Chargers & the Ravens to advance to their 7th Superbowl. I have lot of respect for the Chargers, and I think Antonio Gates is one of the best players in the NFL. They only have 3 losses, so it's still quite possible for the Chargers to make a run. Great comeback against the Steelers! They didn't quit that night, and I'm sure they still have alot of that in them, for the rest of the season.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Chargers Appear to Be Done : Your right Jbolt, I don't usually enjoy posting anything derogatory, so I respect your reply, and I'll stick to just talking football from now on. Calling the Steelers DB's soft, that didn't bother me, because I've been saying for years that our pass defense is very suspect. I think it's a waste of time to try and run on the Steelers, I would throw on almost every down. For years now, the Steelers DB have played 10 0r 12 yards off the receiver, this is the first year in a long time that one of our cornrbacks, Ike Taylor, has actually been in the vicinity when a ball was thrown at the receiver he's covering. 'The Steelers Are Paper Tigers' a post that you kept repeating  as the Steelers went thru the playoffs last year, I felt was uncalled for. They weren't a great team by any stretch, but they beat  two good AFC teams, the Chargers & the Ravens to advance to their 7th Superbowl. I have lot of respect for the Chargers, and I think Antonio Gates is one of the best players in the NFL. They only have 3 losses, so it's still quite possible for the Chargers to make a run. Great comeback against the Steelers! They didn't quit that night, and I'm sure they still have alot of that in them, for the rest of the season.
    Posted by Steelcurtain75[/QUOTE]
    Pittsburgh always has a tough D, last year and this year I think Oline is tougher though. As a unit the best in the NFL. Congrats & good luck the rest of the way. Hope to see you again this JAN. regards.   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Chargers Appear to Be Done : I disagree. The defense didn't lose the game, nor was it Norv 's fault. The usually strong kick coverage was horrible. If you hold Denver to 30 yard returns in both cases of the TDs, the Chargers would've won. I say that because the returns happened in the first half and SD would've had at least a 10 point lead going into halftime, instead of 3. A 2 score deficit would've done it as Denver can't score quickly on offense.   The Chargers haven't lost 6 games yet and thats what the wild card will get in with this post season in the AFC.
    Posted by jbolted[/QUOTE]

Could have, would have, should have but they didn't. If only they hadn't given up 2 special team TDs, they would have won? Come on, grow up.

Playoffs! Playoffs? You can't really  believe that the bolts will go 8-3 for the rest of the season when they've only had 2 wins thus far. Especially in that they have the entire NFC east plus oakland and denver, who've already beaten them, yet to play. Not to mention that 10-6 is no guarantee. That's pure fantasy.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; the bolts will never win with merriman and LT on the roster. Both are old, slow and hugely overrated.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Chargers Appear to Be Done : Could have, would have, should have but they didn't. If only they hadn't given up 2 special team TDs, they would have won? Come on, grow up. Playoffs! Playoffs? You can't really  believe that the bolts will go 8-3 for the rest of the season when they've only had 2 wins thus far. Especially in that they have the entire NFC east plus oakland and denver, who've already beaten them, yet to play. Not to mention that 10-6 is no guarantee. That's pure fantasy. I've said it before and I'll say it again; the bolts will never win with merriman and LT on the roster. Both are old, slow and hugely overrated.
    Posted by unclealfie[/QUOTE]

As far as growing up, jumping out C130s and C141s with 150 pounds of equipment in the middle of the night tend to do that for ya. Ever done it?
     As as far as counting the Chargers the out after 5 games, I learned in 06 after they won their last 10 straight & 07 winning their 8 striaght, that I won't count them out until eliminated. 

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Yeah, It's Norv's fault.  He is too mellow.  If my GM called my team soft, I would be in the owners office telling him to shut that clown UP.  NO PLACE FOR THAT mid season.  AJ is a bit too fond of AJ.  But Norv is alot like Wade Phillips.  Teams they coach consistantly underproduce.  There are more coaches like this, but these are the top two talent wasters.  They lead, yappy, misdirected teams that have alot "me" guys who talk too much.  Redskins are there this season also.  It's ok with me if they don't fire him, he has effectively neutralised that "classy" glamour boy LTfor the best years of his career. Good going, Norv.  Thanks, I'll slip the cash under your door.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Chargers Appear to Be Done : No One and I don't even know to this day if there is anyone else.  Remember "JAWS" from the James Bond Movie (might have been "the spy who loved me").  He was about 7 ft tall and had that mean azz look and metal mouth.  Lambert looked just like him.  I loved the steelers as a kid.  I had the black felt coat with the yellow vinyl sleeves and the steeler patch on the chest.  The hat with the ball on top, gloves, a steelers pillow football, pajamas.  If it was out there for a 10 yr old kid, I probably had it.  Brings back good memories.
    Posted by underdogg[/QUOTE]

just imagine if the Steel Curtain defense played your Colts

You'd be crying for pass interference calls until your tear ducts dried up.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Here's what I don't understand:

I know JBolted is typically a good contributor and usually has some decent stuff to say, BUT HOW CAN YOU OBJECTIVELY SAY THAT NORV TURNER ISN'T A PROBLEM?

The team has done nothing but get worse under his watch.  NO TEAM should ever bask in their own hype, THEN ADMIT.  A good HEAD coach keeps his team focused.  A good HEAD coach keeps internal matters internal.  A good HEAD coach also improves his team over time.

I don't question the Chargers' talent, but at some point you have to realize how little Turner has done for your team the same way Patriots fans realized that Pete Carroll coasted on what was left of Parcells' talent before being exposed as a mediocre NFL head coach

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]A good HEAD coach also improves his team over time. I don't question the Chargers' talent, but at some point you have to realize how little Turner has done for your team the same way Patriots fans realized that Pete Carroll coasted on what was left of Parcells' talent before being exposed as a mediocre NFL head coach
    Posted by NickC1188[/QUOTE]

Have to disagree with you on Carroll. I'm not saying that he's in BB's league as a coach. But much of what happened to the Pats during his watch was due to then Pats' GM Bobby Grier's constant meddling, which undermined Carroll's authority. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Chargers Appear to Be Done : I wouldn't exactly say that.  The Pats are not a weak team.  Denver is smoke and mirrors, they're not that great. Two missed throws, that was all the difference in that game.  Denver reminds me a lot like Miami last year; smoke and mirrors with an average QB.  Posted by jasonh86[/QUOTE]

The Pats will be in the thick of it beacuse you're right Brady's timing was right. The Jets forget them there problems are only starting to surface. I'm about to join that thread "Fun watching the Jets the next few weeks."

Sorry but we'll agree to disagree on the Denver no smoke and mirrors here. They are allot better than Miami because they can pass, have depth at receiver and can defend the Pass. Miami has/had none of that.

The Pats will find there stride and probably win the East this year there ready to roll however the AFC East is very weak. They couldn't handle the Wildcat 1 game out of 2 l ast year and they won't handle the Fins again this year 1 game out of 2.

As always the Pats/Phins games will interesting and hard fought. As always It's nice even when the organizations aren't performing well that the Pats/Jets/Phins hate each other which makes for good games very competitive.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Chargers Appear to Be Done :      Have to disagree with you on Carroll. I'm not saying that he's in BB's league as a coach. But much of what happened to the Pats during his watch was due to then Pats' GM Bobby Grier's constant meddling, which undermined Carroll's authority. 
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Good point.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Chargers Appear to Be Done :      Have to disagree with you on Carroll. I'm not saying that he's in BB's league as a coach. But much of what happened to the Pats during his watch was due to then Pats' GM Bobby Grier's constant meddling, which undermined Carroll's authority. 
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Perhaps a poor point on my part (although my game-specific memories from that era are shoddy at best), but my main point was that JBolted can't come to terms with the fact that Norv Turner is squandering one of the most talented teams in the league.  I understand his support for his team and his belief in their talent in a weak division, but A.J. Smith stocks the team with talent and Turner fails to get results.  He's a terrible playoff head coach and the team's record will have trended downward after years where they were one of the top seeds on a regular basis.  Now that they can't win the division by default anymore, I think the Chargers will be exposed as an under-motivated, underachieving team whose head coach let them slack off.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mike-J-D. Show Mike-J-D's posts

the biggest joke i saw is Tomlinson wearing the captain's "C" on his jersey.  he is not a leader.  he had some excellent years, no doubt.  pretty much transcendent years actually.  the last few years he has seen adversity and done nothing but whine and pout while still claiming to be better than Peterson. get real. 

i'll never forget that playoff game against the Patriots a couple years ago when he was injured and stood motionless for four quarters with his helmet and huge winter coat on, no encouragement, mentally checked out.  you call that a captain?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

The 1-5 Chiefs are as hot as a 1-5 team can be after Indian-giving the Redskins a 14-6 loss that not only sent scalps flying, but will also likely send heads rolling in Washington. A win over the Chargers would likely have a similar effect in San Diego.

"Hey, we're used to the play in Kansas City getting Chiefs coaches fired," says Larry Johnson, "but now it's resulting in opposing coaches getting fired. I guess turnabout is fair play."

The Chargers troubles start with their lines — offensively, they're not protecting Philip Rivers. Defensively, there's no pressure on the opposing quarterback. The only person linebacker Shawne Merriman has roughed up this year is Tila Tequila. With their season fading fast, there's probably only one word Turner can say to encourage his team to play hard for the remainder of the year. That word? "Pride?" No, "wild card."

This is funny