Chargers @ Patriots REPORT CARD

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Re: Chargers @ Patriots REPORT CARD

In Response to Re: Chargers @ Patriots REPORT CARD:
    [QUOTE]Anderson had a decent game, including the strip sack to pretty much end it.  He's going to come up big again this season...this will pay off. If Ochocinco's game continues to be what it is now, I couldn't be more happy.  He's running middle routes, accepting his role on this team, and most of all, he knows how to block.  He threw a few key blocks yesterday that extended yardage. There were times where Rivers had to be spot on perfect to thread the ball into his receivers, and Floyd had some huge grabs.  So while the D ain't yet pretty, it's still effective enough to allow the O to put up huge numbers.  And as of yet, BB isn't even releasing the hounds.  They barely blitzed last night until midway through the 4th.  If and when the dbacks begin to shut down receivers, these scores are going to get a lot more lopsided.  In a month's time we're going to be hearing again about how the Pats "...run up the score". 
    Posted by soups[/QUOTE]

I tend to agree that some of those throws made by Rivers to tall WRs Malcolm Floyd and Vincent Jackson were picture perfect. The coverage was good...but the execution was simply that much better. Most times, the only way to stop a great QB is to make him move his feet, and hurry his throws...via a good pass rush.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE] To TPat: Why no comment on Belichick's decision to go for it on 4th & 4 around mid field in the 4th with the score 20-14 Patriots? Not exactly like the decision to go for it deep in our own territory against the Colts but somewhat similar.

RESPONSE: No comment was made about this decision because I was completely on board with it. Punter Zoltan "The Magnificent" Mesko had been injured, and likely was unable to punt. Plus, the Pats' "D" appeared to be gassed, and unable to stop the Chargers' offense. 

A couple of other comments: Mayo certainly made a great goal line tackle but huge credit has to go to McCourty who blew up the lead-blocker on that play. Wasn't Mayo also the guy who knocked the ball loose from Tolbert on that critical fumble?

RESPONSE: In a goal-line stand situation, it's never one player who makes the stop all by himself. But, Mayo's sure tackle kept power RB Tolbert from gaining the yard he needed.
    Posted by trouts[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I find it hard to give any kind of a grade to the defense because of the scheme that was presented and the timely questionable penalties that sustained Bolt drives.  Another cause for grading is you knew that the Bolts can move the ball on anybody as well as turn over the ball.  So to be critical of the defense is a little off base IMHO.  The grading of a "C" seems safe though.  But I'm concerned about how folks are comparing this years D with last years.  I think it looks more promising.

Always enjoy your assessments!  Good dialog.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

[QUOTE]Good review as  usual.  Two things:  I don't think Brady missed Branch there ... I think he was throwing it away and Branch just tried to make a play on it. It was almost through the goalposts.  Second, you should give Chuing credit ... ample credit. He handled another great TE. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

I read where Tom said on the endzone play that he was seeing one thing and Branch another. He admitted if he would have waited a half second he could have seen what was happening there and made the play. He also admitted he was not rushed to bad on that play and could have waited. I'll forgive him this time! :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlderbutWiser. Show OlderbutWiser's posts

It was an entertaining game watching the SD offense self-destruct once again. PAT'S defense gave up considerable yardage in the first two games, which is cause for concern. Given different players and skill sets but yielding same game results it is probably more so the result of coaching principles. Injuries are a concern too.
    I agree with the grading.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxnsl. Show maxnsl's posts

The pass to ww was tipped .... showed it on replay

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

When Rookies like cam Newton start the season by throwing for 400 plus yards in back to back games after being labeled an arrogant punk who cant understand offenses....well, you get my point

We gave up 378 to an elite qb who had his best WR singled up against our worst DB for most of the game IN THE SLOT, because they split out Gates wide all 2nd half in order to further exploit us doubling Gates and it worked, as V.J. had 10 for 172, or we could have let Gates go off a little and split the damage...doesnt matter cuz we won....but look around the league, every Qb is lighting it up except for Chunky Soup McNabb

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]http://www.healtharticlesnews.com/patrick-chung-rob-ninkovich-headline-group-of-patriots-who-shut-out-antonio-gates-in-win-over-chargers This article tells the story ... it was essentially Chung man up over Gates for three of the four quarters, with various tricks blitzes, chips, etc along the way. Gates was Chung's guy. He handled him like he handled Keller last season:  very effectively. Keller was 3-15 in the playoffs, 3-27 in the second game, and Guyton had Keller in game one ... Chung's about the only reliable guy they have out there against TEs. Since about week 8 last season, he has been what Rodney was, at least in how they use him. Man-up on TEs, clean up after the run. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

Interesting. Thanks for the article, "Z". I hope you're right about Chung being so effective in coverage. His coverage skills, and inability to stay healthy, have previously prevented him from reaching stardom. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]The pass to ww was tipped .... showed it on replay
    Posted by maxnsl[/QUOTE]

Watched this game at a sports bar, loaded with rowdy Raiders, Cowboys, Steelers, and Bears fans...all of whom were rooting against the Patriots. Didn't get to replay the game afterwards. So, I might have missed it.

Thanks for pointing this out.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Here's a cold, hard look at the Pats v. Chargers: http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_4042_Pats_Powers_Past_Chargers%3A_5_Things_We_Learned.html

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]     Here's a cold, hard look at the Pats v. Chargers: http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_4042_Pats_Powers_Past_Chargers%3A_5_Things_We_Learned.html
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Hey Tex,

Answer me this....If the Pats have a leaky secondary what is the adjective used describe the Chargers? I get that the Pat's defense is suspect but wouldn't the same be said of the Chargers too? Seems like a double standard is being applied...The reason the Chargers gave up so many is becasue of our potent offense while the reason they gained so many was due to our leaky secondary and bend but don't break defense?

Again they were statistically the best offense and defense in yards allowed and gained last year...

Also, the points off of  turnovers...I hardly think that a 99 yard drive that resulted in a touchdown after we took the ball over on downs should be cited as somehow the Chargers offense was at fault It's not like they put their defense on a short field. I must be that our offense is so potetent that you never want to put them on a long field?

As they say on ESPN...Come on man!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

TP while I don't always agree with your assessments your report card is better than anything in the Globe/Herald after the games. 

Agreed that "underperformer of the game" might be a nice category to add. 

Can't really fault anything you point out other than the previously pointed out value of Chung on Gates, and I thought the running game was a tad more effective than you made it out to be (it was what it needed to be). 

i agreed with the defensive grades but this phrase jumped out at me "Save for the goal-line stand"

Goal line stands are always huge and this one was too...so you almost have to grade up a bit because of it. I'd also have graded up just a bit for the turnovers, even if some of them were unforced, because you'll have to grade down further when the D doesnt' get them. :)

Finally, the biggest problem with the D I saw that isn't fixable is the big receivers having their way with our little backs. But, a good pass rush would help there...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Good review, I'd agree with most of it. I thought Mayo could of been player of the game; I'd love to see him be able to play more in the opponent's backfield opposed to running all over the field covering for people that can't. Fletcher looks a bit lost out there right now; I saw him blitz and really he looked like he didn't know if he should of gone or not. He just let himself be seen, stutter stepped, and arrived way too late as the ball was safely released for a completion. Looking forward to seeing him improve. Spikes was out there and he looked rusty (so hopefully he'll be better). I thought the Charger's line handled our front pretty well for most of the game, which was disappointing. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

Good stuff, despite the defensive concerns this team is a blast to watch.
    BJGE is a difference maker.  He converted a key 3rd and 1 on the last drive where he was stopped for no gain and powered out for the 1st.  Maroney doesn't get that conversion.  He'll get his 1st 100 yd game vs. Bills.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Chargers @ Patriots REPORT CARD : Hey Tex, Answer me this....If the Pats have a leaky secondary what is the adjective used describe the Chargers? I get that the Pat's defense is suspect but wouldn't the same be said of the Chargers too? Seems like a double standard is being applied...

RESPONSE: Did I grade the Chargers? Norv Turner didn't seem to game plan to stop the Patriots' TEs, as he probably should have...designating a similar scheme as the one BB used on Antonio Gates. But, the problem is that the Pats have two good TEs.

The reason the Chargers gave up so many is becasue of our potent offense while the reason they gained so many was due to our leaky secondary and bend but don't break defense?

RESPONSE: Where did I say that?

Again they were statistically the best offense and defense in yards allowed and gained last year... Also, the points off of  turnovers...I hardly think that a 99 yard drive that resulted in a touchdown after we took the ball over on downs should be cited as somehow the Chargers offense was at fault It's not like they put their defense on a short field. I must be that our offense is so potetent that you never want to put them on a long field? As they say on ESPN...Come on man!

RESPONSE: The Chargers lost this game due to turnovers...which the Patriots converted in 18 points. The Pats' defense couldn't stop a nose bleed on Sunday, until their backs were again the wall. If you see it some other way, we'll have to agree to disagree. You may find this article informative: www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2011/09/19/patriots_defense_struggles_to_measure_up/">http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2011/09/19
    /patriots_defense_struggles_to_measure_up/

If I were to grade the Chargers, Philip Rivers would get a "B-", the Charger RBs a "C+", their OL a "B-", their TE a "I...incomplete", their WRs an "A+ ", their DL a "C", LBs a "C-", and their secondary an "F".  Special Teams "B" Coaching a "C-"

If you're interested, here's a report card on the Chargers' performance: http://www.nctimes.com/sports/article_95370e3a-85c1-5c7d-89cf-8ecc2c7a9cfb.html   

Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Tex
    The reason the Chargers gave up so many is becasue of our potent offense while the reason they gained so many was due to our leaky secondary and bend but don't break defense?

RESPONSE: Where did I say that?

You didn't say that....It was part of analysis in the last link you provided...My point is merely that the Chargers defense played worse then ours...gave up more yards, points and when the game was on the line they allowed us to drive for the final TD to ice the game...Yet it is our defense that continues to be maligned by the press both locally and nationally...

As you know the score of the game often dictates how aggressive you are on both sides of the ball...so while I agree that the turnovers proved to be the difference, not sure the results would have been much different had they not turned it over on downs and instead kicked the field goal...We had and early lead and held it throughtout the contest and when you're leading by two touchdowns or trailing by two it tends to make you need to or want to throw the ball when you're behind and regarless of whether you're on defense or offense when youre up by two scores you want to add on, but you also are playing the game clock too...that's the maddening this about the bend but don't break defense...I hate it! always have...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

Great Post Tex.  Three things that stand out. Chung was a beast handling Gates all game mostly by himself. McCourty has either taken a big step back, or is struggling early on.Three, Mayo has become not just a tackling machine, but a big time playmaer on the Defense.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Tex The reason the Chargers gave up so many is becasue of our potent offense while the reason they gained so many was due to our leaky secondary and bend but don't break defense?   RESPONSE: Where did I say that? You didn't say that....It was part of analysis in the last link you provided...My point is merely that the Chargers defense played worse then ours...gave up more yards, points and when the game was on the line they allowed us to drive for the final TD to ice the game...

RESPONSE: Even if what you're saying is true, what difference does it make? Do you think either of these teams are capable of winning a title playing this type of defense?

Yet it is our defense that continues to be maligned by the press both locally and nationally...

RESPONSE: We're the Patriots...not the Chargers. More is expected from the Patriots. Much of the criticism has to do with the last two playoff losses at home. 

As you know the score of the game often dictates how aggressive you are on both sides of the ball...so while I agree that the turnovers proved to be the difference, not sure the results would have been much different had they not turned it over on downs and instead kicked the field goal...We had and early lead and held it throughtout the contest and when you're leading by two touchdowns or trailing by two it tends to make you need to or want to throw the ball when you're behind and regarless of whether you're on defense or offense when youre up by two scores you want to add on, but you also are playing the game clock too...that's the maddening this about the bend but don't break defense...I hate it! always have...

RESPONSE: The Pats' defensive scheme to shut down Antonio Gates necessitated that their LBs played in coverage, and did not blitz. As I stated in the coaching portion of my report card...did the Pats pay too high a price to stop Gates? No blitzing meant little pressure on Rivers. Norv Turner wisely countered what the Pats were doing by having Rivers throw to his RBs coming out of the backfield. They combined for 15 catches for 135 yards.
         I don't like the "bend but don't break" either. Unfortunately, the Pats don't seem to have the personnel to play a more aggressive style of "D". But, this might change. BB is still seeing what he has, and making adjustments. The "D" will improve as the season wears on.    

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Great Post Tex.  Three things that stand out. Chung was a beast handling Gates all game mostly by himself. McCourty has either taken a big step back, or is struggling early on.Three, Mayo has become not just a tackling machine, but a big time playmaer on the Defense.
    Posted by patriots44[/QUOTE]

I don't necessarily think that McCourty has taken "a step back". Over the past two weeks, the Pats have dealt with two of the games' best WRs, in Vincent Jackson and Brandon Marshall. Those guys are a tough match-up for any CB...particularly when the opposing QB is getting time to throw. 

On those two completions from Rivers to the 6'5" Malcolm Floyd, McCourty had good coverage. Credit Rivers for two excellent throws that only a 6'5" guy could have hauled in. Sometimes, even the best players get beat when the execution of a play is flawless.   

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Chargers @ Patriots REPORT CARD:
    [QUOTE]     Today you once again witnessed why the Patriots are the Patriots, and the Chargers are what they are. San Diego is a team prone to making mistakes, while the Patriots rarely do. So, despite being hampered by some truly awful officiating (8 penalties for 80 yards), the Patriots were able to outlast "The Bolt Boys" yet again, 35-21. Here are my grades:   I. OFFENSE: Save for a horrid third quarter which nearly cost the "good guys" this game, the blitz-krieg we witnessed in Miami continued. Thanks to the bumbling Bolts, the "O" redeemed itself in the fourth quarter, as the sleeping pills that the Charger cheerleaders slipped into the Pats' gatorade at halftime gradually wore off. 1.) QB:  With the notable exception of the third quarter, Tom Brady was Tom Terrific, once again. Aside from missing an open Deion Branch in the endzone, early in the second quarter, Brady was Miami unbelievable, again...staking the Patriots to a 20-7 halftime lead. Some of his key throws were TD passes to TE terrors Aaron Hernandez and Rob Gronkowski, and two key drive sustaining hook-ups to Chad Ochocincho.      During the nail-biting moments of the fourth quarter, with the Pats lead at just 20-14, Tom hooked up with Deion Branch on a key 33 yard catch and run...setting up a 17 yard lazar to Gronkowski, for Brady's third TD pass of the game. Then, after the Chargers cut the Patriots' lead down to 28-21, Brady again engineered a TD drive...with the key play being a 29 yard catch and run, again with Gronkowski. For the day, Tom completed 31 of 40 passes, for 423 yards, and the three aforementioned TDs.      The only point of criticism was that Tom seemed to be rushing, and had happy feet in the third quarter. Heavy pressure on pass plays, and the inability of the Patriots to establish a running game, contributed to this. On a 3rd and 4 from the San Diego 49, nursing just a 20-14 lead, Brady uncharacteristically threw a ball  behind Wes Welker on a WR screen. That, and a subsequent poor throw in traffic to Deion Branch on 4th down, killed a promising drive...and gave the Bolts a chance to take command. But, fortunately, fumble-itis struck them: GRADE: A; 2.) RBs: Though BJGE had his moments in the 4th quarter, he and Danny Woodhead weren't much of a factor in this game. Speaking of Woodhead, his matador block while trying to pick up blitzing LB Donald Butler nearly got Brady killed. Woodhead did contribute a "Kevin Faulk special" to net a two-point conversion. Green-Ellis finished with 70 yards on 17 carries, including a 16 yard TD run to ice the game: GRADE: C+; 3.) OL: It was a tale of two halves for the "Big Uglies". In the first half, they were dominant. But, there was one pass play in the second quarter when Chargers' DT Antonio Garay (who the Chargers stole off the Jets' practice squad a year ago) pushed his way into Tom Brady's left knee...which nearly ended the Patriots' season. In the 3rd quarter, the Pats OL was manhandled. But, thanks to a case of Charger fumble-itis, the big boys up front had a chance to redeem themselves in the 4th quarter...and did so: GRADE: B; 4.) TEs:  Aaron Hernandez set the tone for the Patriots' offense early He finished with 7 catches for 62 yards, and a TD. Rob Gronkowski was more of a "big play" guy, as he netted 84 yards on just 4 receptions, including two TD grabs. He was also called for a ticky-tac holding penalty...and got beat early in the game by Shaun Phillips on an edge rush, resulting in Tom Brady being sacked. But, those two plays detract little from his aforementioned two TD reception performance: GRADE: A; 5.) WRs: Deion Branch seemingly has discovered the fountain of youth in Foxborough, finishing his outstanding day with a team leading 8 receptions, for 129 yards. Wes Welker chipped in with 7 catches for 81 yards...and...there was a Chad Ochocincho sighting! As mentioned above, Chad had two key drive sustaining receptions in the first half, for 45 yards. Let's hope this is the start of something big for the Chadster: GRADE: B+; II. DEFENSE: Though the "D" had serious problems stopping the Chargers all day, they continually came up with big plays when needed. These included two interceptions, two fumble recoveries, and a stirring goal-line stand. 1.) DL : A tough day for the front 4, or 3, depending on the moment. The Chargers' OL pretty much dominated up front. Save for the goal-line stand, and that 6 point turnaround interception by Vince Wilfolk just before the end of the first half, this group was quiet. Horrible call on Pats' DE Andre Carter for ruffing the passer. There were several similar bogus calls in various games played today. The league must address this mess it's created, soon: GRADE: C; 2.) LBs: Jarod Mayo knifed in behind the line of scrimmage on the Pats' first half goal-line stand...stopping the Bolts' bowling ball, Mike Tolbert, at the one yard line. Mayo may have saved the game by later forcing a fumble by Tolbert, with the Pats nursing a 6 point lead, and the Bolts driving. His played changed the momentum of the game. But, he also over-pursued, and took himself out of the play, on San Diego's Ryan Matthews' first quarter TD run. Nonetheless, Mayo was all over the field, finishing with a team leading 11 tackles, including 8 solos. But, the rest of his brethren were awful, both with their tackling, and, especially, their pass coverage. San Diego RBs accounted for an astounding 15 receptions for 135 yards today. Thus far, the LB corp has been the biggest chink in the Pats' 2011 defensive armour: GRADE: C (thanks solely to Mayo's big plays); 3.) SECONDARY: There's no telling how bad the performance of this "D" could have been, had Malcolm Floyd not gone down with a groin injury. He finished with 2 receptions for 59 yards in just one quarters' worth of play. His high flying partner, Vincent Jackson, showed why he's one of the most dangerous WRs in the league, finishing with 10 catches for 172 yards, and two TDs. The trio of Kyle Arrington, Leigh Bodden, and Devin McCourty were no match for these tall Bolt wide-outs. Losing both CB Ras-I Dowling and safety Patrick Chung to injury certainly didn't help the cause, either.      This group was able to take TE Antonio Gates out of this game, save for one bogus 20 yard PI call...which gift-wrapped a Charger TD. Credit young safety Sergio Brown for doing a nice job on Gates (with help), and for his second quarter red-zone pick, which pulled the plug on a potential San Diego scoring drive. Brown led the secondary with 7 tackles, including 5 solos.      For the second game in a row, the Patriots' pass defense was awful...as Philip Rivers completed 29 of 40 passes, for 378 yards, and two TDs: GRADE: C; III. SPECIAL TEAMS: No glaring errors in coverage...but nothing on returns.  Credit Stephen Gostkowski for finally nailing a long FG...a 48 yarder on the last play of the first half. This turned out to be a very important FG. Hopefully, Zoltan "The Magnificent" was not badly injured when his own man got knocked into his knee after a punt. Prior to his injury, Zoltan had done a good job with a "coffin corner" kick, as well as getting off a booming 54 yarder on the play when he was injured. Beautiful open field tackle by Matthew Slater saved what could have been a long return. GRADE: B; IV. COACHING: Another good job overall by the offense, against some stiff competition. I have no idea what transpired at halftime. But, it seemed that the Patriots came out flat...and were dominated by the Chargers in the third quarter. Had they scored again on their opening drive, this game might have turned into a rout.      Just a thought...I know that the Pats' like that up tempo, no-huddle offense. But, on their TD scoring drive late in the second half, wouldn't they have been wiser to take a little more time off the clock, and not leave Philip Rivers so much time once he got the ball back? It worked out well for the Pats...but what if Rivers doesn't throw that Wilfolk pick, and the Chargers were able to get a FG? Then, at halftime, it would have been 17-10, instead of 20-7.      The game-plan was to take away Antonio Gates, and the Pats succeeded in doing so. But, the Pats' CBs were no match for San Diego's tall WRs Vincent Jackson and Malcolm Floyd. The "D" was also unable to stop those annoying short passes by Rivers to his RBs. In hindsight, it seemed that the Pats paid too high a price to take away Gates.      The "D" is far from a finished product. But, allowing an opponent to convert on 83% (10 of 12) of their third down tries, as the Pats did today, is totally unacceptable. The LB corp in particular looks terrible. Something must be done to get more out of this group. The Pats were fortunate that the Chargers made so many mistakes today: GRADE: B; V: PLAYER OF THE GAME: Though I'm tempted to go with Jerod Mayo, Tom Brady was "the man" again; VI: PLAY OF THE GAME: With the score 20-14 early in the 4th quarter, the forced fumble by Tolbert changed the momentum of the game...and allowed the Pats to regain control. This was a tough choice over the Mayo play on fourth down, during that great goal-line stand, and the Wilfolk pick.      It's simple. When a team turns the ball over in this league, it loses.        Here are the game stats: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=310918017         Your thoughts and opinions are welcome. 

texas 4 things you point out stand out for me.

1.) more use of run to dominate opponent and teh clock. (my paraphrase or overemphasis)
    2.) linebackers weakest link (or one of) of team
    3.)The Pats were fortunate that the Chargers made so many mistakes today:
    4.) toms happy feet and nervousness and rushing passes he didnt need to rush due to protection issues

some other points,
    in my mind the key play on the goal line was mccourty taking out the blocker, otherwise mayo does not have that play to make. so mccourty in line for one of the plays of the game for me. and he stood out very much against the run.

bb needs to dictate the wr - cb matchups. dowling on biggest receiver (or bodden till hes back)

lb's need to be coached up and hopefully catch on new scheme, reads and communication.

actually a lot more points, but no time. great observations. will differ only slightly with a few if i have the time.

ie rb's c+
    give that to obrian for not uising the rbs optimally and not playing ridley more.
    benny and woody looked fine.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Chargers @ Patriots REPORT CARD :      I don't necessarily think that McCourty has taken "a step back". Over the past two weeks, the Pats have dealt with two of the games' best WRs, in Vincent Jackson and Brandon Marshall. Those guys are a tough match-up for any CB...particularly when the opposing QB is getting time to throw.       On those two completions from Rivers to the 6'5" Malcolm Floyd, McCourty had good coverage. Credit Rivers for two excellent throws that only a 6'5" guy could have hauled in. Sometimes, even the best players get beat when the execution of a play is flawless.   

agreed and you will see that in my observations from gaem one and 2.
    mccourty wrong matchup(dowling on beaast receivers) and mccourty technique. pull arms down when you cant reach the ball and work better technique with jam at line of scrimmage.
    exceptional cb against the run as well.
    give him a b- overall so far. needs some coaching.
    who is our db coach?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Chargers @ Patriots REPORT CARD : texas 4 things you point out stand out for me. 1.) more use of run to dominate opponent and teh clock. (my paraphrase or overemphasis) 2.) linebackers weakest link (or one of) of team 3.) The Pats were fortunate that the Chargers made so many mistakes today: 4.) toms happy feet and nervousness and rushing passes he didnt need to rush due to protection issues some other points, in my mind the key play on the goal line was mccourty taking out the blocker, otherwise mayo does not have that play to make. so mccourty in line for one of the plays of the game for me. and he stood out very much against the run. bb needs to dictate the wr - cb matchups. dowling on biggest receiver (or bodden till hes back) lb's need to be coached up and hopefully catch on new scheme, reads and communication. actually a lot more points, but no time. great observations. will differ only slightly with a few if i have the time. ie rb's c+ give that to obrian for not uising the rbs optimally and not playing ridley more. benny and woody looked fine.
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]

I also thought McCourty taking out the fullback was the real play that noone talks about, but Mayo cant make that play if # 32 doesnt blow up the fullback.  Most cb's wont stick their nose in like that, and I remember old #36 Milloy taking out a fullback in similar fashion against Miami back in the day that was also a goal line stance.  Got to have guts to make that play, and McCourty gets his hands dirty with the run too.  I agree w/need Dowling on the big guys and Bodden is not right yet...still battling something cuz right now Kyle is ahead of him

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Chargers @ Patriots REPORT CARD : texas 4 things you point out stand out for me. 1.) more use of run to dominate opponent and the clock. (my paraphrase or overemphasis)

RESPONSE: How can anyone be dissatisfied with what the Patriots are doing offensively? The Polian passing rules, over zealous officiating, and the atleticism and speed of today's players has necessitated a change in offensive strategy to "spreading the field", and passing. The offense can't save the defense. The "D" simply needs to do a better job, especially regarding stopping opponents on third down. San Diego converted on 83% of their third downs plays. That's completely unacceptable. The Pats' "D" is a pitiful 31st in the league in passing yards allowed:
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/ne/new-england-patriots

2.) linebackers weakest link (or one of) of team

RESPONSE: OLBs, FS, and CB need to be upgraded. Unfortunately, Jermaine Cunningham is starting to resemble Shaun Crable, rather than Willie McGinest. Brandon Spikes needs to get his head straight, and start playing ball. Gary Guyton is terrible. Rob Ninkovich tries hard, but is limited. There is hope for Dane Fletcher. Ras-I Dowling must prove that he can be durable. Kyle Arrington is awful. The Pats appear to be using Patrick Chung at FS, because they have no one else...though he's better suited to play SS. A play-maker is still needed at FS.    

3.) The Pats were fortunate that the Chargers made so many mistakes today:

RESPONSE: The Pats "D" did some good things, and had something to do with the Bolts making those mistakes. But, mistakes are what the Chargers do. The main difference between these two franchises is that BB won't tolerate those mistakes, while Norv Turner does. 

4.) toms happy feet and nervousness and rushing passes he didnt need to rush due to protection issues some other points,

RESPONSE: It only happened in the third quarter...and it started happening after Chargers NT Antonio Garay dove into Brady's knees. That type of "hit", more so than the late hits, needs to be taken out of the game.

in my mind the key play on the goal line was mccourty taking out the blocker, otherwise mayo does not have that play to make. so mccourty in line for one of the plays of the game for me. and he stood out very much against the run.

RESPONSE: Yes...McCourty took out the lead blocker, but Mayo still had to make a sure tackle on that 235 lb. bowling ball, RB Mike Tolbert.

bb needs to dictate the wr - cb matchups. dowling on biggest receiver (or bodden till hes back)

RESPONSE: The match-ups weren't necessarily the problem. The Pats need to upgrade the talent in their secondary, and need to get more pressure on the opposing QB.

lb's need to be coached up and hopefully catch on new scheme, reads and communication.

RESPONSE: They are "coached-up". More talented players are needed, especially at OLB.  

actually a lot more points, but no time. great observations. will differ only slightly with a few if i have the time. ie rb's c+ give that to obrian for not using the rbs optimally and not playing ridley more. benny and woody looked fine.

RESPONSE: Everyone is so quick to blame things on O'Brien. He's not the head coach. BB is...and BB decides who to play. The RBs are being optimally used. The Patriots are averaging over 35 points per game. Again, the offense can't save the defense. 
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

RESPONSE: Everyone is so quick to blame things on O'Brien. He's not the head coach. BB is...and BB decides who to play. The RBs are being optimally used. The Patriots are averaging over 35 points per game. Again, the offense can't save the defense. 

Our offesne is why we've been a perenial playoff team since 2005...Our defense is why we've failed to win a Superbowl since. That said, if we can break the code of the Rex Ryan Ravens 2007 scheme which is now employed by the Jets. Our offesne can indeed save the defense by moving the ball, thus keeping them off the field. Our Offense can save the defense by not going three and out late in games with leads by failing to at minimum force the other team to use timeouts...

Which has happened far to many times...

Our defense is not going to win us a ton of games...Our Offense can and will but come playoff time...If we face the Jets or the Ravens or teams with shutdown corners (Green Bay and or Philly) that have the personnel to push the pocket...we'd better hope that O'Brein has a little something up his sleeve and to me it's go big and make the corners tackle!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]RESPONSE: Everyone is so quick to blame things on O'Brien. He's not the head coach. BB is...and BB decides who to play. The RBs are being optimally used. The Patriots are averaging over 35 points per game. Again, the offense can't save the defense.  Our offesne is why we've been a perenial playoff team since 2005...Our defense is why we've failed to win a Superbowl since. That said, if we can break the code of the Rex Ryan Ravens 2007 scheme which is now employed by the Jets. Our offesne can indeed save the defense by moving the ball, thus keeping them off the field. Our Offense can save the defense by not going three and out late in games with leads by failing to at minimum force the other team to use timeouts... Which has happened far to many times... Our defense is not going to win us a ton of games...Our Offense can and will but come playoff time...If we face the Jets or the Ravens or teams with shutdown corners (Green Bay and or Philly) that have the personnel to push the pocket...we'd better hope that O'Brein has a little something up his sleeve and to me it's go big and make the corners tackle!

Again...O'Brien (OB) is not the head coach. BB is. Though OB certainly has some input on the game plan, in the end, BB decides on how to proceed. Smash-mouth football is no longer in vogue. If Rex Ryan can force the Patriots to go away from what they do best...in order to attempt to eat up clock and keep the "D' off the field, he's won. He has the Patriots' playing not to lose. He will have  succeeded in shortening the game, allowing his ball controlled orientated offense to play their game.

Wouldn't it be far better to smoke the Jets, as the Pats did in their 45-3 win? Score early and often, and force the Jets to get out of their ball control mind-set? In other words, make Mark Sanchez beat them. Isn't it always better to dictate the terms of how the game is going to be played...and for a team to play to it's strengths? 

Against the Ravens in the 2009 playoff loss, Baltimore was simply the better, more physical team. But, in last years' loss against the Jets, the Patriots failed to failed to execute early...and let the Jets dictate the terms of the game. If you let the Jets get up on you early, they can play their ball-control style of play, where Sanchez can manage the game. 

I'd much rather see the Patriots attack them aggressively...and force them to play catch-up. I'll take Brady over Sanchez any day of the week.