Chargers/Cowboys comments about Tom

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WelkerRules. Show WelkerRules's posts

Chargers/Cowboys comments about Tom

Anyone hear those announcers compare Rivers to Tom saying Rivers is Elite and all? I missed it but my daughter was telling me about it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Re: Chargers/Cowboys comments about Tom

Rivers is like Peyton Manning used to be: a TON of great stats, but very little playoff success.  I respect Rivers for coming to Foxborough in the 2007-2008 AFC Championship Game and playing on a torn ACL

I could see him being elite.  I wouldn't argue with that idea.  It's not Phillip Rivers' fault that Norv Turner is his coach.  The guy only led the #1 offense in the league the past couple seasons - it's just the Chargers don't get their act together until week 8 or 9

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

I think he is a top 5 QB and if his team can stay healthy and improve on STs will be in the playoffs. Norv will make sure they don't go much further though.

Manning may be done w his neck injury. Turning into an old Marino or Grogan (remember the neck brace?).

Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Manning, Rivers - then a huge drop off until you get to Romo, Ryan, Flacco, etc.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

I'd put Rivers in the top 5 category.  If that's not an elite QB than I'm not sure what the criteria is supposed to be. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lippa. Show lippa's posts

Elite to me means  all QBs in history of the NFL not just current QBs,So I would say no hes not Elite under those standards.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I believe I'm an elite quarterback.

"How much you wanna make a bet I can throw a football over them mountains?... Yeah... Coach woulda put me in fourth quarter, we would've been state champions. No doubt. No doubt in my mind."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Rivers s*cks

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Brady
    Manning.....no not Eli
    Brees
    Rogers
    Ryan Mallet

Nope Rivers missed the cut.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Rivers puts up great stats (Manning anyone)but he hasn't won a big game in a long time.. if ever. In fact he is more like Schaub than Brady at this point. Great fantasy QB, wouldn't want him in the big game over at least 5 or 6 QBs (Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Brees, Rapistburger). For years got to put up numbers against weak AFC west competition....what happens when the Raiders and Chiefs get a clue.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Rivers is a tentative top 5 QB which makes him elite BUT there is a large difference between the top 2 QB's, the next 2 QB's, then the next 5-9 QB's. The top 4 are:

1A) Brady
    1B) Manning
    3) Rogers
    4) Brees

And I don't think anyone would argue that order. Brady and Manning are living legends with Rogers and Brees being obvious steps ahead of the next group.

The next 5-9 though there can be arguments made on who should be in what spot. The QB's I'd put in that 5-9 are:

Rivers
    Roth (hate to say that)
    Ryan
    Vick (hate to say it again but not nearly as much as Roth)
    Eli

So, being in the discussion as a top 5 QB makes him elite but he's not nearly in the same category as a Brady or Manning who are living legends at this point

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-Doc-Redemption. Show Red-Doc-Redemption's posts

Did everyone miss last season? Brees had 22ints & 9fumbles=not elite!

Brady, Manning, Roethlisberger, Rivers, Rodgers......

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

The maturity rap is probably accurate, but it extends to the entire San Dago organization, not just Rivers. They simply don't go about their business the right way. A lot of people would have probably told you last year (hell . . .  a lot of people here actually did say it) that by the end of the season, San Dago was the last team you wanted to see in the playoffs. Problem was, they started off so badly (again) that they didn't make the playoffs. Some of that can be laid at Rivers' feet -- he's the quarterback, he should be setting the tone on the field -- but when the problem becomes as institutional as it appears to be in San Dago, you've got to start going up the ladder. And sure, Norv is an easy target, too, but I think you can (and should) go even higher than that.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Pmike, I don't think much of it falls on Rivers because it's organizational. If Brady had a halfass coach who's nothing more than a coordinator, all the leadership in the world would only get Brady and the Patriots so far. It takes a blend of solid management, solid coaching, and solid players. The tone was set for Brady going into his career as a Patriot and he grew into the role, embraced it and now spreads the gospel. I forget the exact number but the Chargers lost 3-4 games last year even though they outgained their opponent by 150+ yards. That's insane. Rivers wasn't making all those special teams gaffes last year.

I don't like the guy because of his attitude but I respect him as a player.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Yeah . . .  the Dallas analogy works, but Philip Rivers is in an entire different universe from Romo as a quarterback.

On his best day, Romo isn't fit to shine Rivers' shoes.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Rivers is not "elite". But I guess it begs the question, "What are the characteristics/quality of an elite QB?". The term elite should only be used to describe QB's who perform in these categories/have these qualities that are over and above everyone else.

The key point with elite is "what is the cut-off?". Does elite refer to the top 1, 2 or top 1/3 of the league? People shove QB's into the elite cateory becuase the category itself is ill-defined.

In my mind, the elite group needs to be small. Possibly 1 or 2, or top 5. That is elite. Now, what are the categories you would measure someone against? you could certainly consider the usual suspects like passing yards, QB rating, reception to interception ratio, etc...but elite should also measure things that can't be quantified..leadership, decision making, etc., etc.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Chargers/Cowboys comments about Tom:
    [QUOTE]Yeah . . .  the Dallas analogy works, but Philip Rivers is in an entire different universe from Romo as a quarterback. On his best day, Romo isn't fit to shine Rivers' shoes.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Romo, though physically gifted, inspires no one. To be a great QB, you must be a leader.     

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

[QUOTE]Rivers is not "elite". But I guess it begs the question, "What are the characteristics/quality of an elite QB?". The term elite should only be used to describe QB's who perform in these categories/have these qualities that are over and above everyone else. The key point with elite is "what is the cut-off?". Does elite refer to the top 1, 2 or top 1/3 of the league? People shove QB's into the elite cateory becuase the category itself is ill-defined. In my mind, the elite group needs to be small. Possibly 1 or 2, or top 5. That is elite. Now, what are the categories you would measure someone against? you could certainly consider the usual suspects like passing yards, QB rating, reception to interception ratio, etc...but elite should also measure things that can't be quantified..leadership, decision making, etc., etc.
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

1. Brady
    2. Manning
    3. Rodgers
    4. Brees
    5. Rivers

To me, elite is statistics + not having any major weaknesses in their game.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I can live with that list AP. I think it's about right...So, elite in your mind is the top 5? Where does the big drop off in statistics start? after Rivers? Who is sixth?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

There are only 3 elites. Brady, Rogers and Fetus Head.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

Tom & Pay-a-ton are on the azzz end of their careers, therefore, Rivers needs to be afforded time in fairness. He's already proved to be better than Peyton Head to head. Rivers is a gamer and almost as good as Tom right now. 2nd best in the league today. Your guy is the best, though he will lose head to head in week 2. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

[QUOTE]Rivers s*cks
    Posted by themightypatriotz[/QUOTE]
    as do you

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

1 Brady
    2 Rivers
    3 Rodgers
    4 Ben