Chargers win.. what Pats do now is simple...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Chargers win.. what Pats do now is simple...

With the Chargers locking up the second seed in the playoffs, all we want to see the Pats accomplish this weekend is lock up the division and make it to the dance.  The only question mark up in the air, until last night, is whether or not a higher seed could be attained, but, that is a mute point, now.  With a victory Sunday, the Pats can rest a lot of players, maybe not for the entire game, next week against Houston.  Brady can use the rest big time.

Now here is another question:  Resting players is good, but, if the focus is not to win the game against Houston and only rest players, will that slow down any momentum of this team going into the playoffs? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

Re: Chargers win.. what Pats do now is simple...

Naaaah....When the playoffs start, everything tightens up and speeds up a notch....it's easier and more effective if guys are rested a little and some of the aches and pains are gone...a rest week is worth a lot right now...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

At this point we could use the proverbial Bye week in week 17. I'd rest everybody that had any aches and pains and hope we could get into the playoffs relatively healthy. I don't think it will slow us down much and with Brady being beat up I'd rather play anyone else at quarterback and let Brady's ribs heal. The Pats have done well historically coming off bye weeks and I don't think this is any different. I'll be glad to see Ron Brace playing for Wilfork that week.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from oggieman. Show oggieman's posts

Just win this week.  You should have no problem with Jax.  Miami tried to give them the game a few weeks ago with turnovers and Jax couldn't capitalize.  Now they're on the road and I don't see how they have a chance .  A pats win helps Miami with the wildcard.  If you lose this week, we got to hope you drop next week as well for the division --not very likely. 

Like I said before, I smell a Miami at New England playoff game.  If Pats win tomorrow and Steelers beat the Ravens (both very likely IMO), Miami makes it if they win their last two.  The stench of a rubber match is getting stronger.... And there is nothing better than playing a rivalry game in the playoffs. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

a win sunday is a must.for the pats do need the rest in there final game,and then just totally focus on there playoff opponent.as for momentum.they really dont have much to worry about them loseing any of it.more the reason to rest and re-focus.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

I don't think BB will see this as so simple. We need the rest no doubt. I think he'll want to set his match and the 3rd spot is not a lock. Easier than going through it all. We'll just say NE pack's week 17 in @ Houston. That could put us in the 4th spot. I think if you get to pick your game you go for it.

Give it a look.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffscenario?algorithm=yahooranker

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Oggie,
    I'm glad we have Jacksonville at home tomorrow but our offense isn't exactly clicking at this point. It's actually going to be in the 40's for temperature and I was really hoping it was going to be about 20 degrees colder. It should be an interesting game as we didn't look that great against Buffalo. You guys will probably win your last 2 games so you could get your wish. I like playing Miami and I like playing the Jets, it's always a good build up the week before. What's the injury status for the Phins right now?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from One-If-By-Sea. Show One-If-By-Sea's posts

I'll be glad to see Ron Brace playing for Wilfork that week.

If Wilfork is hurt - I would rest him this week too. Don't get too overexcited about this weeks game and hurt our playoff push.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

I'd rather see a 10-6 rested/healthy Patriots team entering the playoffs then a tired and beat up 11-5 team.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

getting the 3rd or 4th spot is where you pick your poison( SD or dolts).
    At least I think that's how it work's. 
    dolt's will play lowest seed left
    SD will play highest seed who's left
    Plus it also will be setting the team you face @ home. Worth playing for?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Assuming the Patriots get enough gusty wind on the backside of this cold rainstorm to ruin David Garrard's aim, and maybe a shower, maybe not, yes they should mail week 17 in.  San Diego is now the equal of Indy, a little bit better in my numbers.  Let Cincinnati go all the way across the country.  Play Brian Hoyer at QB after the first quarter, I don't care.  Take an extra week to plan things out.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

In Response to Re: Chargers win.. what Pats do now is simple...:
    [QUOTE]...If you lose this week, we got to hope you drop next week as well for the division --not very likely. ... 
    Posted by oggieman[/QUOTE]

Actually, IF we were to lose this week at home, I'd have plenty of worry that we'd also lose next week in Houston to the Texans.  I'm treating the Jaguars game as a must win for the Pats to win the division.  I'm still not fully trusting in our teams road performance.  One true road win does not mean all of our road woes have left. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

NE gotta win on Sunday.  No way they beat the Texans on the road.  Schaub will light up this defense.  He did it in ATL without Johnson&Co.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

In Response to Chargers win.. what Pats do now is simple...:
    [QUOTE]...Now here is another question:  Resting players is good, but, if the focus is not to win the game against Houston and only rest players, will that slow down any momentum of this team going into the playoffs? 
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]

The slowing down momentum aspect sounds logical, and I think it comes down to this.  If you are a number 1 or 2 seed your team is probably playing well enough that a break is good.  You don't need to worry about momentum.  After all, there really is no difference between a 1 or 2 seeded team getting the round 1 bye and the others teams resting players on the final game.  However, if you are not the 1 or 2 seeded team, maybe you aren't playing your best football and therefore need every game you have to keep getting better.

The Giants credit their last game in 2007 against us as having helped them build momentum for the playoffs.  Would beating the Texans in Houston help our team build their confidence that their road woes are behind them?  I think BB will rest any player playing really hurt, but will go into Houston trying to win the game.  If we were playing good football on both sides of the ball right now, I think he'd rest players.  That said, if we get a more desirable 1st round opponent with a loss, who knows what he'll do.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcappy. Show jcappy's posts

Yup, growing momentum is important.

And so is getting the 3rd seed because Indy could lose to Cincy or the Ravens----and then we'd come back home for the final.  Dream on, you say...  It's not so far-fetched---if we can beat SD then Indy can lose  Go for the 3rd seed!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from viewer222. Show viewer222's posts

Don't take Jax for granted. The Jaguars will bring their A game to Foxboro. You say that ain't much but the Patriots have not been very impressive either. The Pats need to put their best players available on the field against the jags then if somehow they get a big lead, they can rest the starters as needed. The Pats cannot afford to lose their last 2 games.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

The future is tomorrow.

There are no other concerns at this moment than beating Johnsonville.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

How I see it:
    INDY 16-0 
    SD 13-3
    CIN 11-5
    NE 11-5
    PIT 9-7 by virtue of 2-0 vs. BAL
    BALT 9-7

DEN 9-7 lost to both BAL & PIT head2head
    NYJ, HOU 7-9
    MIA, JAGS 8-8

Then, BAL to beat CIN in RD 1
    NE over PIT RD 1

SD over NE
    BAL over INDY

SD over BAL at home

before you dismiss my notion of BAL over Indy, know this. BAL almost beat INDY in that 17-15 game in week 11. they forced 3 Indy turnovers. I watched the game and Indy got lucky.

Three or More Clubs (i.e.DEN PIT BAL at 9-7) 

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
    2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from heisthejuan. Show heisthejuan's posts

Tomorrow is everything. Win and then let Hoyer start next week. To be honest, I'd rather get the 4 seed and square off against the Colts if we win the WC game. Chargers are looking pretty scary right now