Chatham: Less Welker could help offense

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

Chatham: Less Welker could help offense

Some great analysis and insight from former Patriots linebacker Matt Chatham on the Welker issue. He feels the Patriots offense  is in it's formative stage and they can benefit from a divirsified approach. He also feels that continuing to use Welker as they have in the past, is too predictible.

Finally a voice of reason.

anyway here's the article --what do you all think?

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/this-just-in/21228606/chatham-less-welker-could-help-pats-offense

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

Re: Chatham: Less Welker could help offense

The more options you have in any scenario is a good thing,having a go to guy in the passing game is a two edged sword,on one hand you have a guy you feel confident in situations on the other defenses can key on that player and limiting check off recs. Father time waits on no man and at some point you have to adjust or shift priorities before a player has noticable drop off in skills than ride a horse til he drops.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I agree with Chatham.  I'd rather this offense spread the wealth than try to get Wes 100+ receptions because he "deserves it".  If Wes is less involved, then so be it.  He will have his opportunities to help this team and I am sure he is happy that he's making #1 WR money on a team where he isn't the top option.  The future is the future.  I'm sure Wes knows that all he can do is play and worry about it in February.  I cannot believe how overblown this whole thing is.   

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

Reiss weighs in on the Welker issue--and it echoes Chatham thoughts.

One of his good points--if Belichick wanted to punish Welker , he wouldn't have paid him 9 + to play this year.

It's the media that's turning this into a much bigger issue than it needs to be.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/8393614/wes-welker-reduced-role-part-evolving-offense

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

We have to get back to the "throw to the open guy" days, if that means getting away from old habits by taking the security blanket away (Wes) then so be it.  We may suffer some now but the long term benefits will outweigh the early struggles.  This is much ado about nothing... we got beat by a very good Cards team.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

I agree with Chatham on this one,  and yes we got beat by a good team.  The Patriots were sloppy, made lots of mistakes and got beat. That's what happens in the NFL.  This was game two of the long NFL season, too much is being made of it. I wont even watch espn this week because they tend to blow these things way out of proportion. The Patriots will be fine.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking12. Show harleyroadking12's posts

this team has bigger concerns than WW feelings and contract, if they dont shore up the Oline with some decent talent they aint gong anywhere.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

In response to harleyroadking12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

this team has bigger concerns than WW feelings and contract, if they dont shore up the Oline with some decent talent they aint gong anywhere.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, thats really my only concern about this team right now. The O-line is going to have to get better. Can't allow Brady to be under pressure all game or sacked 4 times. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

OK let's be fair here: no one should be targeted 100 times... If it happens it happens because they are getting open or just beating their opponent or just making great plays.

Welker should be expected to see reduced targets because some of his catches (not a small number) are very short, controlled passes that are used in lieu of running. With Ridley I expect more running. But then again.... it is also based on performance of the o line (run and pass blocking).

Without Hern I expect more Welk... If the o line cannot hold their blocks long enough I expect more Welk as a security blanket check down.

One question will be how well and how much Winslow can learn this O and be efficient. Another his how far Edelman will progress in being able to get open or just make the tight tough catches.

And does Connollys return make enough of a difference... (Brian Waters... where are you).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

See here is the problem!!!  You NEED Welker in there!  Don't go to him if he isn't open but just having him in there is a threat to the defense.  Certainly a much bigger threat then Edelman is.  He keeps the defense honest, just like Moss did as a deep threat.  I can not believe people do not see this.

Could you see Revis covering Edelman?  Bwahahahahahaha!!  Heck no, but I seen him cover Welker, that means he isn't on someone else who could make a play.

What part of this does people not understand.... Defenses are not concerned about Julian Edelman!!  He is not a threat to them!!  He is not a playmaker and can not get open.  They do not need to game plan around him as he is not a threat.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

I would like to see Edelman show he can get open in passing situations so that TB can rely on that... Welker is more reliable at this point.

I think the issue was in part that they were needing less of Welkers shorter game because of Ridley and the TEs. But with Hern out there is again more room for Wes.

While I think I understand BBs strategy (McD's strategy?) I do like Wes... But I do want Edelman to develop.. he IS dangerous with the ball. He is A FOOTBALL player.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tydog. Show Tydog's posts

Matt Light on espn had simular thought to Chatham on the pats offense today. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I think Brady is getting that mindset with Gronk. Why the heck did we throw the ball on a 2 point conversion? Gronk didnt even look open to me. Should have run a power sweep.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

whoah did I misinterpret this posting!

i thought it was about the FB we had in preseason wasnt his name Les ( Len) something? thinking this was in reference to bolstering the running game.

I think this is way off base as TFB says Welker is a playmaker and gets the attention of opponents defensive scheming ie; Revis  covers him.  True Eddleman is a "football player" ( very high compliment!) but he is the guy defenses would say OK let him try to beat us .. will he? Welker will !!!!

Also let me say this, Eddelman is a very valuable cog to the Patriots,playing WR, Special teams, Db and offers roster flexabilty as the 3rd QB.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonPride34. Show BostonPride34's posts

had to be karma that wes doesnt start and in the same game, edelman lands on top of hernandez and hes out, so now basically wes has to be a bigger part of the offense....i know they signed deion and winslow....but welker will still need to be a bigger part.