Chicago SIgns LB DJ Williams

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: Chicago SIgns LB DJ Williams

Denver Broncos Free Agency Recap (3/11 - 3/17)

Peyton Manning and the Denver Broncos were extremely successful during the first week of free agency. They landed numerous big names for more than fair prices on both sides of the ball. The Broncos started things off right by re-signing the reliable interior defensive lineman Kevin Vickerson. They also signed former Jacksonville Jaguars’ DT Terrence Knighton, which should more than make up for the likely loss of free agent DT Justin Bannan.

The linebacking corps takes a hit with the release of the talented D.J. Williams and likely release of Joe Mays; however Stewart Bradley was signed to help offset the damage. The Broncos also look poised to move on from veteran defensive back Tracy Porter after the signing the streaky but high upside former Philadelphia Eagles’ corner Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie.

The last and most confusing of the Denver’s defensive moves was the release of talented DE Elvis Dumervil. The Broncos asked him to take a pay cut and though initially Dumervil resisted, he did eventually cave in. In a bizarre turn of events the Broncos front office announced that the decision had come too late and promptly released Dumervil. It’s unclear exactly how the situation (dubbed “faxgate”) will be resolved but for now Denver has a glaring need at defensive end. That need can easily be filled later in free agency if need be.

The offensive side of the Broncos also saw some major free agent signings. The most prominent of which was the signing of former New England Patriots’ perennial pro bowl slot god Wes Welker. The move gives Denver the top receiving corps in football. The Broncos also upgraded the offensive line when they franchise tagged elite tackleRyan Clady and the theft of lone San Diego Chargers’ elite lineman Louis Vasquez. The moves soften the blow of the likely departure of quality center Dan Koppen. The only other move of note was the release of third string quarterback Caleb Hanie.

Key Signings: WR Wes Welker (two-years, $12 million), G Louis Vasquez (four-years, $23.5 million), DT Terrence Knighton (two-years, $4.5 million), CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (one-year, $5 million)

Key Losses: DE Elvis Dumervil (FA - Cut), LB D.J. Williams (FA - Cut)

Summary: The Broncos have clearly been gearing up for a playoff run and they improved on both sides of the ball(sans the Dumervil fiasco). They should be considered heavy favorites to win their third consecutive AFC West division championship. It’ll be interesting to see how the Broncos can further improve in the 2013 NFL Draft.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from braunzy. Show braunzy's posts

WOW DJ for 900k? that is crazy, great value for Chicago and Huge paycut for DJ. he's a player just not worth the 6+ mill he was getting.  Tresman is making some decent moves already.

I think Bronco's will be just fine, they are well coached with Fox. and I think their secondary will be better, it's not like Porter played much so DRC will be an upgrade and they seem to be high on the corner opposite champ, Harris I think his name is?

Von Miller is probably the best defensive player in the league and Derrick Wolfe looks like he is primed for a great year. Probably need to add a safety but Moore is still young.  If I'm bronco's I draft a DE give Ayers a legitimate shot at playing his natural position, a safety and a slot receiver to groom behind Welker.  

Don't know what they have for depth as I don't follow them that closely, but they are by far the Pats biggest competition in the AFC this year and probably next, and I'm not sure who will be better this year, but my money is on the Pats.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

Umm, swapping players in and out at that rate on D is bad for continuity and Terrence Knighton doesn't really upgrade from Bannan.

So, they have 3 brand new starting LBs?

Are you kidding me? That's awful. Also, swapping out Rodgers-Cromartie and Porter is a wash.

Can you imagine if we were supposed to have 3 new LBs all at once in a passing league and BB did this? LOL!

He'd be maligned worse than he already is for being brilliant at what he does.

So, again, how have they improved? Sterwart Bradley was better than what they had last year with good LBs like Mays and Williams?

I got news for ya: Denver really hasn't recovered from bad Shanahan drafts before he left and the bad ones that McDaniels had when he was there.

They're trying to cheat the teambuilding formula due to the knee jerk Gomer move last year.

Will not work. Their D will be WORSE this year than last. 

Yet, the media calls this great? They also completely overpaid for Vazquez. 8 million bucks when you needed it, didn't plan on paying Welker and botched the restructure on Dumervil?

This is "extremely successful"?

Just what planet is that person on who formed that premise?   LOL

What do you think their IQ is? lol!

Actually, can you SOURCE what you just pasted, RKarp. We'd all like to see which Broncos homer blog you selected. bwhaha

Can you imagine if we were supposed to have 3 new LBs all at once in a passing league and BB did this? LOL

BB did swap out all 4 of his defensive backs in a passing league. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

DJ Williams barely played last year for Denver, not a big loss for them. He's lost a ton over the past few years anyways, hence the 900K deal. They get Joe Mays back from injury this year, I assume he will be their starting inside LB.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Umm, swapping players in and out at that rate on D is bad for continuity and Terrence Knighton doesn't really upgrade from Bannan.

So, they have 3 brand new starting LBs?

Are you kidding me? That's awful. Also, swapping out Rodgers-Cromartie and Porter is a wash.

Can you imagine if we were supposed to have 3 new LBs all at once in a passing league and BB did this? LOL!

He'd be maligned worse than he already is for being brilliant at what he does.

So, again, how have they improved? Sterwart Bradley was better than what they had last year with good LBs like Mays and Williams?

I got news for ya: Denver really hasn't recovered from bad Shanahan drafts before he left and the bad ones that McDaniels had when he was there.

They're trying to cheat the teambuilding formula due to the knee jerk Gomer move last year.

Will not work. Their D will be WORSE this year than last. 

Yet, the media calls this great? They also completely overpaid for Vazquez. 8 million bucks when you needed it, didn't plan on paying Welker and botched the restructure on Dumervil?

This is "extremely successful"?

Just what planet is that person on who formed that premise?   LOL

What do you think their IQ is? lol!

Actually, can you SOURCE what you just pasted, RKarp. We'd all like to see which Broncos homer blog you selected. bwhaha

Can you imagine if we were supposed to have 3 new LBs all at once in a passing league and BB did this? LOL

BB did swap out all 4 of his defensive backs in a passing league. 

Didn't work that well/tough to get continuity isn't it?

You just made my point for me.  Continuity on a football team is so underrated and it's apparently lost on you and many here.

BB chose to rebuild on the fly in 2009 and 2010.  If you never accepted that, then you weren't ready for the bumps in the road like I was.

You're too obtuse to get WHY he did what he did. lol

Meanwhile, Denver had bad drafts into the lockout under Shanahan and they sort of squandered the fleece job by McDaniels on Jerry Angelo.

I would not be comfortable AT ALL if I am a Denver fan seeing my supposed SB team be gutted with continuity and experience at LB, especially when my best OLB may be gone alongside with weak pass D down the middle, mostly at Safety.

JUST SAYING.

Gee, NE's D and its position or Denver's? How is this even a debate at this point? Barring Denver getting a stud in the draft to make a huge impact at Safety as a rookie, they're in trouble in this area.

The media completely glosses over this fact and over-sells the "bad Pats D". Totally bogus and it's getting REALY old, too.

He did it last year. I wasn't referring to 08 and 09.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

BB is completely revamping his WR corp.

First time it happened ('06) it didn't work out.

Second time it happened ('07) it did.

Third time (now) we'll find out.

Richard Sherman, Brandon Browner, and Kam Chancellor were all new starters to the SEA secondary in '11. They ended up meshing pretty well.

Baltimore this season switched OC's and changed their offensive line realignment and they got things figured out pretty quickly.

Continuity is important, but it doesn't necessarily take forever to figure out. Patriots problems on dline and the secondary the last couple of seasons weren't just continuity problems, they were personnel problems. Pats just didn't have enough playmakers in those spots.

If Denver does a couple of things, I think they'll be fine:

1. Make sure the players know what their role is. Part of what I think went wrong in Philly was that they just decided to put together a bunch of stars on defense and make it work. I think you need a good mix of role players and stars. Getting those 3 big cbs was a mistake.

2. Make sure the players actually fit the system. Self-explanatory.

3. Veterans leaders on the D need to lead their respective units. If you're revamping a unit, you're going to need a leader to be the gel.

If I'm a DEN fan, I'm not too worried about continuity. If the players are serious, the offseason should be enough to work on that. DEN will be in the playoffs, so they should be able to have everything together come playoff time.

I just don't like the personnel on the team. Outside of Miller, there isn't much that I would be worried about if I was an opposing offense.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

opinions still strong that Elvis is back in Denver on a 4 year deal. 

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:

BB is completely revamping his WR corp.

First time it happened ('06) it didn't work out.

Second time it happened ('07) it did.

Third time (now) we'll find out.

Richard Sherman, Brandon Browner, and Kam Chancellor were all new starters to the SEA secondary in '11. They ended up meshing pretty well.

Baltimore this season switched OC's and changed their offensive line realignment and they got things figured out pretty quickly.

Continuity is important, but it doesn't necessarily take forever to figure out. Patriots problems on dline and the secondary the last couple of seasons weren't just continuity problems, they were personnel problems. Pats just didn't have enough playmakers in those spots.

If Denver does a couple of things, I think they'll be fine:

1. Make sure the players know what their role is. Part of what I think went wrong in Philly was that they just decided to put together a bunch of stars on defense and make it work. I think you need a good mix of role players and stars. Getting those 3 big cbs was a mistake.

2. Make sure the players actually fit the system. Self-explanatory.

3. Veterans leaders on the D need to lead their respective units. If you're revamping a unit, you're going to need a leader to be the gel.

If I'm a DEN fan, I'm not too worried about continuity. If the players are serious, the offseason should be enough to work on that. DEN will be in the playoffs, so they should be able to have everything together come playoff time.

I just don't like the personnel on the team. Outside of Miller, there isn't much that I would be worried about if I was an opposing offense.

I am not saying it's impossible. Also, Carroll runs a VERY BASIC D there, dude. It's a NCAA based 4-3 man coverage kind of speed D.

Apples and oranges. BB lines up guys in different spots, plays plenty of zone by design, etc. The learnign curve is far greater on a D like this or maybe a Pitt or Balt D.

The base is the important part and the bottom line is, BB had many moving parts of the base he was trying to get all at once.

Seattle's base had been there for years, even if they moved CBs and Safeties in and out.  Their front 7 was the same group of players there for a while, not to mention they drafting in the top 10-15 every year for about 5 years straight.

You seem to be contradicting yourself in the last 2 paragraphs, too.  You're not worried if   Bronco fan and then saying you don't like their personnel and no one scares you but Von Miller.

I'm not contradicting myself. I said i'm not worried about continuity issues...I'm more worried about the actual players they have on the field.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

opinions still strong that Elvis is back in Denver on a 4 year deal. 

Whose opinions? What are these people's opinions on Denver's weak Safety group and questionable DB group overall?

Also, what are their opinions of the their MLBs and LB depth?  For example, Stewart Bradley would not make me feel good if BB was doing that in our situation.

Broncos also favorites to sign Urlacher

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.