Chris Canty?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: Chris Canty?

In response to RockScully's comment:

In response to 42AND46's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

Here's a free lesson on these scary salary cap cuts....when you cut a guy four years into a five year contrat to save cap space, what you end up doing is ridding yourself of a player that has grown old and ineffective. The plus side to this is that you got to use them (which the Giants sure did) and dump them (which the giants sure did). They just cleared 14 million in cap space in two days by ridding themselves of players they don't even want anymore. Didn't you say that was impossible? I told you a team could clear millions in cap room over a weekend - you said no way...I was living in a dream world. Now here we have a well known, successful GM do it in two days. How does that happen, rusty? How?!

RUSTY OWNED AGAIN

How is it "owning"?  Balt, the Giants, the Titans, basically all the teams he is praising in management right now will not be playoff teams next year.  

Any team that is constantly restructuring is a team that is struggling with contracts and allocation.

It's very simple. 

Go read any cap analyst or financial analyst's opinion for any business and they'll tell you the same thing. It ups the odds your projections being very difficult to gauge beyond the upcoming season.  It also adversely affects the quality of the roster and there is no guarantee at all that the players you promote will give you what you want.

Why do you think the cap exists?  Why is there a cap if it doesn't mean anything? You tools are such morons it's fascinating.

For a bad team like the Jets, it's beyond likely that they'll be WORSE next year because they were managed so poorly in the last 3-4 years.

Tannenbum just got canned. Why do you think that is? Because he did what Mt Hurl is suggesting. He acted like nothing mattered. He dealt draft picks, overpaid in the market and totally sacrificed upcoming seasons in the process.

The person "owned" here is Cupcake. And RKarp. Or, every other absolute MORON who clerly never went to a real college, which I know for a fact you didn't.

I have a cupcake baker and a flunked out musician telling me about business. Isn't that swell.

Holy mackerel are you buffoons pathetic. Wrong, wrong and wrong again but you think you have a leg to stand on, embarrassing yourself further.

Rusty, don't mention those three teams exclusively, it's only just begun. There will be players dumped and soon enough players signed. And the fact that you mention to read a financial analyst's opinion for "any business" is a sure sign that your head is so far up your colon that it's no wonder you don't get a chance to watch football and therefore aren't capable of commenting on it:(

yeah the NFL is "any business"!! Lol! Yeah every business is guaranteed a profit evey year, where the owners of said business's are owned by millioners that bought the business for a hobby...kind of like owning a electric train collection. Also these "business's" aren't publically traded...the owners make the rules...all of them. Oh, and the owners of all these business's are friendly to their direct competitor and go away for owner's meetings, where the millioners drink and eat meals together....smoke cigars and have fun.

Do you really believe owners agree on creating a situation (salary cap) that will not allow them to get out of bad business situations? That will not allow them to compete? These guys - who for the most part are doing this for fun - are going to tie the hands of themselves and their owner buddies in a business that basically prints their own money? That would be real swell for owners, franchises, cities and television networks. Yeah these guys may have a GM that drafts the wrong guy, or has key players go down with injury that ruin their season, but the salary cap will not be one of those reasons. At least not with the way it's designed right now - and it's designed like that for a reason...the owners want it that way. They want to get a chance to compete evey year, if that has to be done by changing parts of a roster and spending money - the cap will allow that. The owners will allow that. This is not hockey, money grows on trees in the NFL. And if you don't believe that, then you really have no clue.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Could it be that going in and out of salary cap hell and up and down with talent is a better way to win championships than being a steady and diligent cap manager? Does one approach produce Super Bowl winners and the other regular season wonders? Not sure, but maybe worth asking? Giants may very well miss the playoffs next year, but they won a Lombardi a year ago. If they win yet another before the Pats do, you have to ask the question whether a purge and rebuild strategy  is a better way of creating a true champion then steady cap management resulting in regular season triumph but not leading to a trophy. Just a thought.

Just a thought: Tom Brady has had 3 straight subpar AFC title games.

Most Pats fans are now asking if Brady at 20 million per year to not be subpar in the postseason.

You have to ask, should Brady be paid as much as he is when he's being outplayed by other QBs who don't melt down when it counts?

you have to ask yourself would the pats win more than 9- maybe 10 - games a year without tom brady?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from millergrnv. Show millergrnv's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

The roster purge in New York continues as the GMen just cut Canty and Bradshaw.  Canty was injured last year, but has been effective when healthy.  Thoughts on trying to sign him to a short term incentive-laden deal?

I say take a chance on Chris Canty. Canty is a big dude (6-7, 317 lbs.) and can be disruptve on the defensive line. Physically, its like watching Richard Seymour in terms of his size. Put him inside with Vince Wilfork and those two Defenive tackles will be hard to move. I think Chris Canty can play some DE in the 3-4. Remember, he played under Wade Phillips (when he was the head coach) in Dallas when they ran the 3-4.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Could it be that going in and out of salary cap hell and up and down with talent is a better way to win championships than being a steady and diligent cap manager? Does one approach produce Super Bowl winners and the other regular season wonders? Not sure, but maybe worth asking? Giants may very well miss the playoffs next year, but they won a Lombardi a year ago. If they win yet another before the Pats do, you have to ask the question whether a purge and rebuild strategy  is a better way of creating a true champion then steady cap management resulting in regular season triumph but not leading to a trophy. Just a thought.

Just a thought: Tom Brady has had 3 straight subpar AFC title games.

Most Pats fans are now asking if Brady at 20 million per year to not be subpar in the postseason.

You have to ask, should Brady be paid as much as he is when he's being outplayed by other QBs who don't melt down when it counts?

Has the GM overpaid for everyone but Wilfork?  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Ok...back to the original question...pass on canty...I think he is roughly in the same place Ellis was when he came here..aging, slowing, etc. there will be more guys released. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Ok...back to the original question...pass on canty...I think he is roughly in the same place Ellis was when he came here..aging, slowing, etc. there will be more guys released. 

I'm actually on the same page on 2 counts:

1) the original discussion - I really do prefer discussions that stay on point; and

2) pass on Canty for much the same reason

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

I have no problem with GMs/Teams cutting vets - every team does it to manage cap and deal with aging/injured/ineffective players. The problem comes when you have structured salaries with bonus money up front. I have no idea what the deals were with the various players the Giants cut, but I suspect there was some bonus money involved with some or all of them. So, they may be cut 30M from their actual payroll, but I suspect they now have some millions of dollars in dead cap money for the coming year.

The Pats have the same problem - Fanene was a bust FA signing last year and he is still having an effect on the Pats cap this year - 2.5M of signing bonus that is the largest piece of the Pats dead money cap hit this year.

The Jets would love to cut Mark but not only would they take the 8M guaranteed salary cap hit, they would also take an additional 4M in prorated signing bonus hit for a total of 12M. Next year when they do cut him, they will still have that 4M dead money hit but at least the salary isn't guaranteed!

As for Canty - he probably ends up signing somewhere for about 3M, and it may be back with the Giants. I agree - he probably has too much wear on the tires for the Pats to be interested.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to millergrnv's comment:

I say take a chance on Chris Canty. Canty is a big dude (6-7, 317 lbs.) and can be disruptve on the defensive line. Physically, its like watching Richard Seymour in terms of his size. Put him inside with Vince Wilfork and those two Defenive tackles will be hard to move. I think Chris Canty can play some DE in the 3-4. Remember, he played under Wade Phillips (when he was the head coach) in Dallas when they ran the 3-4.

Agreed, if the price is right and he passes a physical he might be a good sign.  Teams cut players all the time, not because they have nothing left but because the team has found somebody to do his job for less.  Rookie contracts are now very favorable to owners...