Chris Johnson ROBBED of MVP!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Chris Johnson ROBBED of MVP!

I know many will not agree, but I think a lot of the views of how the MVP should be determined is wrong.

It seems that many people put a significant amount of impotance on how well the MVP's team played. Why? I don't agree. Just because a team doesn't do well does not mean that particular team didn't have the Most Valuable Player in the league.

How much worse would TENN have been with an average back? Even a 1200 yard back? 3 or 4 wins? I doubt much more. Also, how much better does ANY team get if they add Johnson? Aside from Minnesota, he would make a great team unstoppable. Every team in the NFL gets immediately, and significantly better with him.

Now how about Manning, how does Indy do without him? Not 14-2 certainly...but 9-7? 10-6? Nobody would have thought the Pats would go 11-5 with Cassell, and I think the Colts would remain good without Manning. How good would Manning make other teams? Baltimore would get better, but they have few good receiving options for him to throw to. I don't see MIN, NE, or NO getting much better with Manning as opposed to what they have. Obviously he'd make a bad team better, but how valuable is he really if you can't say "hands down, any team would want him over what they have." His season wasn't that great, not compared to other QBs this past season. Johnson, however, had a year for the ages.

I don't see how anyone can be more valuable than a RB who gains 2000 yards rushing, and 2500 from scrimmage. I don't dispute Manning is the Most Valuable Player on the Colts. I would say he was even the Most Valuable QB this year, but Most Valuable Player? My vote would have gone to Johnson.

It's an individual award in a team sport. You should separate the team from the player.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Re: Chris Johnson ROBBED of MVP!

Yeah, Everyone knows the MVP is a joke anyway. Any award that is voted on by the media is worthless. Do you think these guys actually sit down and watch the games and the individual players? They'd be better off selecting 50 sports pub drunks to vote for this award.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

ma6dragon9, I agree.  Infact to me, a great year on a crappy team is even more valuable.  I know many wont agree with me.  CJ was the team.  Everyone knew it was going to him, everytime.  Still he could not be stopped.  He had no one else to take the pressure off of him and he still performed.  That is tougher to do.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauldeba. Show pauldeba's posts

Drew Brees, Philip Rivers and Johnson were all better in my mind.  HOWEVER,  Curtis Painter's foray into the big leagues does help Peyton's case quite a bit.  If Bernard Pollard had broken Peyton's knee Game 1 this year - The Dolts are 0-16, without a doubt.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from markes8336. Show markes8336's posts

I agree for the same reason as Mordecai. Manning & Indy have multiple weapons they can turn to. Tennessee, however, has Johnson...period. Yes, Young showed improved play, but that was because he matured enough to play off the D's focus on Johnson.
    How many would trade Brady for Manning? Now...how many would trade the Pats trio (Maroney, Taylor, Morris) for Johnson?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

ma6dragon9:

Hey, I don't like the Colts, or Peyton Manning, either. But, where would the Colts be without him? Would they even be able to win 5 games with Jim Sorgi, or Curtis Painter, as their QB?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

It's all nomenclature. If you take "MVP" verbatum, Manning may well be that. Painter couldn't beat the Lions or the Rams! So Horseface is the most valuable player, at least to the Colts. I'd rather see a "Player of the Year". Just the best overall performance the entire season regardless of W-L or position. But both these type of awards and the Pro Bowl should be voted on by players and coaches. The media all have their favorites, and are enamoured with QBs. Many players outperformed Manning, IMO. Johnson is one. Both Philip Rivers and Aaron Rodgers did better as QBs. And there could also be arguments for Brees and Favre. Wes Welker had a huge season, leading the league in receptions and missing 2 games and three quarters of another! Woodson has been an INT machine, and Revis shut down every top 10 WR he faced, and there were quite a few. We should all know by now. If it's anywhere near even the media will always pick Peyton.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from markes8336. Show markes8336's posts

TexaPat3 - Same question asked of the Pats last year with Cassell. Colts have a strong organization and would find a way to win within their system, either with a QB they have or picking up a veteran QB. They could probably have finished no worse than 9-7, which (this year) may have been plenty to get them into the playoffs.
    Without Johnson, Tennessee may have been lucky to win 1-2 games.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Hey, e: "50 sports pub drunks" is another way of saying MEDIA.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: Chris Johnson ROBBED of MVP!:
    Hey, e: "50 sports pub drunks" is another way of saying MEDIA.
    Posted by antibody

LOL...I never looked at it that way but you're right. I was just thinking about myself again.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

markes8336...you stated the following:

"TexaPat3 - Same question asked of the Pats last year with Cassell.
    Colts have a strong organization and would find a way to win within their system, either with a QB they have or picking up a veteran QB.

RESPONSE: Completely disagree. Jim Sorgi and Curtis Painter are terrible. The Colts wouldn't have time to get a veteran back-up, if Peyton went down in game one. If they brought somebody new in, it would take that QB weeks to learn the Indy system. Furthermore, the best of the scrap-heap of veteran QBs would be gone by week one. 

In addition, do not equate the Colts' organization with that of the Patriots. Though Bill Polian is an excellent evaluator of talent and drafts well...Indy's coaching is not in the same class as that of the Patriots. Give huge credit to Josh McDaniels and BB for molding and preparing Cassel. Furthermore, both BB and McDaniels did a marvelous job of modifying the offense to suit Cassel's strengths. 

They could probably have finished no worse than 9-7, which (this year) may have been plenty to get them into the playoffs.

RESPONSE: They wouldn't win 5 games without Peyton. Half of their wins this season were nail-biters, which Peyton pulled out in the end.

Without Johnson, Tennessee may have been lucky to win 1-2 games.

RESPONSE: Johnson is great...but you're overrating his value. The Titans started 0-6 with Johnson. The turn-around came when QB Vince Young was inserted in the starting line-up...and when the Titan's secondary started getting healthy. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cousteau. Show cousteau's posts

as usual, the obsession with Manning and the Colts comes out again. ANYONE else would have resulted in a "who cares" string but Manning brings out the usual nut cases and conspiracy theorists. I suppose Goodell made the voters pick Manning? I would not that idea past a few of the lunatics around here...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from clouts. Show clouts's posts

Titans with Chris Johnson are a .500 team.  Without him they go 4-12.  Either way, they aren't significant in the scheme of successful teams this year.

With Peyton Manning, the Colts go 14-2 (and should've gone 16-0).  Without him, and with that schlep backup they have, they go 4-12 at the most.  That, by definition, is value.  And, with a 10-game swing, that is Most Valuable.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Nobody knows how good one team would be with or without a player.  That should not be taken into account because it is impossible to know.  AP never defined the award, most valuable to what?  His team? any team?  If a player was truly valuable than they would be good on any team.  It should be the best player.

When is the next time someone will put up numbers like Manning?  Several people put up numbers just as good this year and several people will do it again next year.

When is the next time someone will rush for over 2000 yards?  Maybe 10 years or so.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from markes8336. Show markes8336's posts

TexasPat3 -  I respect your perspective, but still disagree overall. I agree that Cassell was well prepared, but nothing in his playing time before Brady went down indicated he would have any success at all. For that matter, neither did Brady before Bledsoe went down - he wasn't even #2. The difference after the injuries was the amount of time and focus spent by offensive coaches on fitting the replacement into the system. The vast majority of attention prior to the injuries went to the starter at the time.
    You are correct that the Pats adjusted their system to account for Cassell's strengths/weaknesses, just as the Colts would do if facing the same scenario. Everything you are saying about Sorgi and Painter was said about Cassell. Do you forget how many fans were calling for him to be released after he looked like c rap in the preseason? Even after his first couple of starts after Brady went down, few believed that the Pats would finish .500 or better.
    You are also right that the Titans didn't win until Young became the starter, but does Young win those games without Johnson - no way.
    We'll just have to agree to disagree.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ivolberding. Show ivolberding's posts

Who cares?  Manning can win all the regular season awards he likes.  Without multiple rings and a better playoff record he will always be the NFL's  version of A-Rod.  Loads of talent and stats, but when it comes down to it and the pressure is on, Manning folds.  7-8 in the postseason, with four of those wins coming in their playoff run in 06-07'.  Manning may go down as the best QB ever, but to me he will always be Fran Tarkenton or Dan Marino. Me personally, I would go with Brady, our generations version of Joe Montana (The G.O.A.T.)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

I'm sorry were the Titans not 0-6 with Johnson in the lineup???  Did they not turn it around until VINCE YOUNG when in at qb and went 8-2 th rest of the way?

Wouldnt that make Vince Young the MVP NOT Johnson??

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

The Colts had the 8th best scoring defense this season.  Any QB could have led them to the division title.  Bench Wilhite.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hog73. Show Hog73's posts

The NFL's MVP award is the equivalent of Nobel's Peace Prize - it has very little integrity. With so many other worthy candidates, this year's decision only adds to the mockery. What a shame.