Chungs pass coverage

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

Chungs pass coverage

I think Chung got a little exposed in his pass coverage. Even one time a reciever patted him on the back after a touchdown. The coverage looked ok but the pass was still completed. I kinda figured Manning would have targeted Butler. Heck he targeted Hobbs long enough.
    I'm just hoping that Chung had a off day.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndianaPatsFan. Show IndianaPatsFan's posts

Re: Chungs pass coverage

We're used to seeing Chung play back and close in on people. The last two weeks he has been playing up on the line, more like a corner, and he has struggled at times.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZigZig. Show ZigZig's posts

He was horriable last night. For him 2 B a good SS, he has 2 play good EVERY WEEK!!! Let me point this out, it didn't help him that they had 0 PASS RUSH
    EXCEPT 4 CUNNINGHAM 1 PRESSURE)!!!!! When U gaive BIG NOSE all day 2 throw the ball, he'll kill anybody.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

Peyton manning threw an awful lot of of perfect passes yesterday. I don't blame Chung for not being a shutdown cover corner because that's not his job.
    Chung looked to play the same game he plays every week, it's just that we played one of the better offenses and QB's that we are going to see all year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

I wonder if he's still hurt a little.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Chung is a safety, granted one of the faster safeties in the league but point is he is not a corner. Unfortunately he was guarding a wr on both of those end zone grabs to Blair White. Not to mention Peyton Manning was throwing ropes. Its not like Chung was out of position, the ball was just in a perfect spot on both grabs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

NE was short one corner. Indy ran a lot of 4 wide to expose that. It was actually really obvious.

At one point they had Wayne running against Mayo and a safety. NE needs to get Wilhite back healthy (never though I would say that) because he is the "best of the worst" outside of McCourty, and is a better matchup against any WR than any safety or LBer.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

a slot receiver should beat your nickel slot corner in the redzone and that is what chung was doing. he got beat on the first slant and the second was a great throw with a phenominal catch! There is nothing you can do about that second Blair White catch...

Other than that I would have to say that the Patriots were having trouble deciding what to defend tight... Tamme or White... either way they would lose... and they couldn't bring Merriwheather or Sanders in on them because Wayne is on the outside... I think the Patriots did a GREAT job considering the lack of pressure. There objective seemed to be preventing the big play to the TE and Wayne and they stopped that... the rest of the stuff was given to the Colts! The Patriots basically said if you want to beat us do it with this and Peyton almost did... As usual... 

I cannot figure out how he finds the wrinkle in our deffense every time we play.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In Response to Re: Chungs pass coverage:
    [QUOTE]The Patriots basically said if you want to beat us do it with this and Peyton almost did... As usual...  I cannot figure out how he finds the wrinkle in our deffense every time we play.
    Posted by tagandtrade[/QUOTE]

That's the thing about Manning and why it is so difficult to contain him. He understands what is actually happening in  front of him and eventually finds the weaknesses as well (better, probably) than any quarterback in the league. He was fooled a couple of times on coverages yesterday -- and, for a wonder, actually admitted it -- but as per usual, when the game was on the line, the Colts were zooming up and down the field as if the Pats defense wasn't even there. If Peyton doesn't cough up a hairball at the end -- another thing he does as well as any quarterback in the league -- I have very little confidence the Pats could have won that thing in overtime.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Yes, Chung lost to a great throw by Manning, which was a seed to Blair White, so Chung got "exposed".

What about the great play he made earlier?

I think anyone who knows his skill set knows it's like Polamalu's. He's not intended to be a FS or a deep coverage Safety with speed going back.

He's more of a guy on TEs.  For whatever reason, he was in single coverage on White and Manning made a great throw.

Some fans think every Pats player is a robot or something. Very strange focus.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]NE was short one corner. Indy ran a lot of 4 wide to expose that. It was actually really obvious. At one point they had Wayne running against Mayo and a safety. NE needs to get Wilhite back healthy (never though I would say that) because he is the "best of the worst" outside of McCourty, and is a better matchup against any WR than any safety or LBer.
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

Wilhite has been good this year. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I am a huge fan of Tom Brady; there is no other QB I'd rather the Pats have.  That said, Manning was beating some pretty good coverage by the Pats DBs yesterday and he was doing it with extraordinary reads and pinpoint passes.  Yes, we do need an improved pass rush and every corner we have on the roster if and when the Pats face the Colts again. 

And I agree:  Chung is a safety; not a cover corner.  I thought, all in all, he did a pretty fair job.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leonard15. Show Leonard15's posts

[QUOTE]NE was short one corner. Indy ran a lot of 4 wide to expose that. It was actually really obvious. At one point they had Wayne running against Mayo and a safety. NE needs to get Wilhite back healthy (never though I would say that) because he is the "best of the worst" outside of McCourty, and is a better matchup against any WR than any safety or LBer.
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

Well aside from McCourty the Pat's have no one who can cover hence all the 3rd downs that get completed on them. This is a serious issue that needs to be resolved. As for Chung, well he is a better in the box safety as opposed to playing in space and hence the coverage breakdowns. The Patriots nickel and dime packages are very bad and it may bite them in the as.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]I am a huge fan of Tom Brady; there is no other QB I'd rather the Pats have.  That said, Manning was beating some pretty good coverage by the Pats DBs yesterday and he was doing it with extraordinary reads and pinpoint passes.  Yes, we do need an improved pass rush and every corner we have on the roster if and when the Pats face the Colts again.  And I agree:  Chung is a safety; not a cover corner.  I thought, all in all, he did a pretty fair job.
    Posted by ATJ[/QUOTE]

I agree. At some point, you have to tip your hat with when it's a great throw.

Even the Wayne TD was pinpoint.

This game shouldn't have been close for two reasons:

1. TBC's missed sack in the 1sdt half/Arrington's awful tackle on Wayne.
    2. Bill O'Brien in the 4th qtr.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

It's more or less been said by the few reasonable heads on this board, but a safety, even an athletic one like Chung, shouldn't be put in coverage on a slot WR in the red zone.  Too compressed a field, you know there's going to be tons of lateral movement in the routes, and at the end of the day it was a great throw and catch.  Chung is the last person on the D (outside of 75) who I'm worried about.  He's all over the place, all the time.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Chung did get burnt a few times but did well at others. Him an Arrington were together and close to the line midway through the 4th. On a few snaps Arrington blitzed and Chung covered White. Chung broke up one pass to White on and out route. Maybe Arrington can't cover the slot. I couldn't tell ya.

Tag / He didn't find all the wrinkles. The McCourty pick. A 2 deep look that turned into 3 deep. The wr read it right and broke the route.Thats why McCourty was all alone.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Arrington lined up as a DE on that play, I believe.