CJ Spiller a "Dunce" Per Wonderlic Test?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

CJ Spiller a "Dunce" Per Wonderlic Test?

I guess he won't be joining the Patriots anytime soon....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/19/greg-middleton-john-jerry-get-the-wonderlic-dunce-caps/?related=1

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Re: CJ Spiller a "Dunce" Per Wonderlic Test?

I find it interesting that a high score would bother the scouts also. I wonder if it's because they figure the guy is too smart to follow orders and will want to do things his own way.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

Line up behind "the guy" who gets the ball from the fat guy...."OK"
    hold on to ball when "the guy" hands it to you...."OK"
    run left on odd number plays, right on even number plays....."UHM"
    1357 left, 2468 right...."OK"
    block big mean people when "the guy" tells you....."OK"
    go out for pass when "the guy" tells you...."OK"

you pass welcome to the NFL spend your millions wisely ....."OK"

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I could go either way on this thing. On one hand, I'm not entirely certain how intelligence quotient factors into the ability to read and react to a finite number of keys (with the possible exception of quarterbacks). On the other hand, I can't imagine why anyone in a position to evaluate these guys would be at all surprised that an inordinate number of elite athletes are simply passed through school year after year without having learned anything.

I'm not convinced the Wonderlic actually measures anything germane to the evaluation of a football player.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JaeD. Show JaeD's posts

ah who cares,  he's a running back.  Take ball run that way.  Brains don't play a huge part.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from paob. Show paob's posts

My guess is coaches would be concerned about varying low and high scores for two reasons: A score which is too low might signify the player is a simpleton and can't tie his laces without a manual. Too high (smart) and he'll be questioning authority, ie., coaches and changing calls when he feels like it, etc., etc. This is my opinion and nothing more than conjecture - but what really concerns me is these are student/athletes. 
    A Duke University basketball player once commented "The only way I can make five A's is when I sign my name." 

Thoughts...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Re: CJ Spiller a "Dunce" Per Wonderlic Test?:
    My guess is coaches would be concerned about varying low and high scores for two reasons: A score which is too low might signify the player is a simpleton and can't tie his laces without a manual. Too high (smart) and he'll be questioning authority, ie., coaches and changing calls when he feels like it, etc., etc. This is my opinion and nothing more than conjecture - but what really concerns me is these are student/athletes.  A Duke University basketball player once commented "The only way I can make five A's is when I sign my name."  Thoughts...
    Posted by paob

My impression is that it's just one tool in the box. I would imagine some take the numbers too seriously/literally. Marino did pretty well with his career even tho he didn't win a SB. I think coaches/scouts get more info when they interview players personally - asking about scenarios and what if situations.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

It depends on what system you play in

Some systems are more complicated than others and require more higher-level decision making.
    Example: CB in man-to-man is much more straight-forward than CB in various zones (a good reason to worry about Cromartie, who rumor has it is illiterate, in Rex Ryan's system - comes down to "follow that guy").  Some teams emphasize man-to-man more than others, and vice-versa.
    Specific Example: Vince Young scored a 7.  While he's a phenomenal athlete, there's a reason that they had to scale back the playbook for him.

Also, intelligence quotients help to avoid dumb mistakes, like the NBA's Chris Webber and his infamous timeout.  You need at least a couple guys on the field who know situational football and know when it's smart to call timeouts and whatnot and who can recognize certain situations like when an opponent is giving away what they're doing or lining up in opportune ways.

Brain type also affects how players pan out.  Smart can be over-analytical, but for a guy like Bruschi it helped an undersized linebacker enjoy a long career.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

I remember a couple years ago BB was asked about the wonderlic test and he said it has it's place when it comes to evaluating players but it is particularly important with positions such as QB and C on offense and MLB and S on defense.

I don't think Faulk would have done anything too spectacular on that test. I have heard him speak he isn't exactly a mensa member. At the same time I don't think anyone of us wouldn't draft him much higher then we did knowing now what we know about how good a player he is.