Cold Hard FB Facts

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Re: Cold Hard FB Facts

Low-FB-IQ, yeah, there's some history here and your point is valid with respect to context. 

The only 'cold-hard-football-facts/stats' that I care about are:

*The Pats 14-2 record, best in the league, gets them home field advantage and a first round bye; and
    *The Pats turnover differential of +28 is unmistakeable evidence that this 'suspect' defense is doing something right.

No disrespect intended to any poster who views the matter differently.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

If you want your facts unadorned but meaningless, I can tell you that the Patriots are 30th in the NFL in pass defense yards surrendered.  They're ok but not really really good in run defense (11th), in run offense (9th) and in pass offense (11th!!).  So, they gain and lose yardage like an 8-8 team.  How do they do the Jets in with a big potato masher, 45-3, with stats like that?  How do they slaughter people week after week without any stats respect?  I've gone over this elsewhere so I'll summarize:

Yardage isn't points.  In particular, yardage gained between a team's own 5 yard line and the opponent's 40 yard line is not necessarily points. 

The Pats are pretty good at defending the 10 yards before field goal range, and the last 15 yards near the endzone too.  Gaining 8 yards on three downs when you need 10 yards sure isn't points.

Turnovers are never counted.  +27 doesn't count for any yardage.  People forget how much the defense makes Brady look good.

Special teams yardage is never counted.  The Patriots are good at blocking for runbacks.  Even Dan Connolly looks good.  That yardage isn't counted either.  Zoltan's outstanding punting isn't counted.

Points aren't wins.  If you're ahead 38-0 in the fourth quarter, put Butler in and let the opponent score a touchdown.  The Patriots have a long history this year of giving up meaningless (and at least once, not that meaningless) touchdowns in the fourth quarter.  However, the opponent usually eats its own clock in the process and the Patriots usually end up winning.  Did you see Green Bay's rookie quarterback fritter away the team's clock time?

Most statistics are not time-weighted, so the Patriots' numbers in September aren't the numbers some opponent will face on January 16.  The team has grown. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

What is missing in all these stats and analysis is the context in which they were achieved.  For example:

In both the Steelers and Colts game, the majority of passing success achieved by Manning and Big Ben occurred in the 4th quarter AFTER the Pats had built substantial leads.  In both games, these two QBs had been shut down effectively in the first 3 quarters.  Afterwhich the bain of existence for us fans is the "soft D" teams seem to start playing after a big lead.  Why not keep the pressure up that shut down these QBs for the first 3 quarters?  Go figure!

Anyway...  Since the Patriots loss to the Browns, a wake up call for the team, it has been on a tear both offensively and defensively.  The Packers game seems to have been the only game in that streak in which the other team had much more to play for at that time and the Pats may have played somewhat soft against a QB that surprised many with his play that game.  When needed the Pats turned it on, shut the Pack down and won fairly handily.  There isn't a team in the league that looked more consistent, and powerful, in their last few games as the Pats did to finish the season.  Outside of Pittsburgh, the other playoff teams didn't exactly dispatch a supposed overmatched opponent with ease that last weekend. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In Response to Re: Cold Hard FB Facts:
    [QUOTE] Outside of Pittsburgh, the other playoff teams didn't exactly dispatch a supposed overmatched opponent with ease that last weekend. 
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]

I'm sure MVPkilla wouldn't want us to forget that New Jersey (green) bitch-slapped Buffalo pretty handily in week 17.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]If you want your facts unadorned but meaningless, I can tell you that the Patriots are 30th in the NFL in pass defense yards surrendered.  They're ok but not really really good in run defense (11th), in run offense (9th) and in pass offense (11th!!).  So, they gain and lose yardage like an 8-8 team.  How do they do the Jets in with a big potato masher, 45-3, with stats like that?  How do they slaughter people week after week without any stats respect?  I've gone over this elsewhere so I'll summarize: Yardage isn't points.  In particular, yardage gained between a team's own 5 yard line and the opponent's 40 yard line is not necessarily points.  The Pats are pretty good at defending the 10 yards before field goal range, and the last 15 yards near the endzone too.  Gaining 8 yards on three downs when you need 10 yards sure isn't points. Turnovers are never counted.  +27 doesn't count for any yardage.  People forget how much the defense makes Brady look good. Special teams yardage is never counted.  The Patriots are good at blocking for runbacks.  Even Dan Connolly looks good.  That yardage isn't counted either.  Zoltan's outstanding punting isn't counted. Points aren't wins.  If you're ahead 38-0 in the fourth quarter, put Butler in and let the opponent score a touchdown.  The Patriots have a long history this year of giving up meaningless (and at least once, not that meaningless) touchdowns in the fourth quarter.  However, the opponent usually eats its own clock in the process and the Patriots usually end up winning.  Did you see Green Bay's rookie quarterback fritter away the team's clock time? Most statistics are not time-weighted, so the Patriots' numbers in September aren't the numbers some opponent will face on January 16.  The team has grown. 
    Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]

How funny is it that trolls, haters and jealous fans continually hammer away at "30th ranked" or "one of the worst D's" in the league rhetoric when it's specifically tied to ONLY passing yards allowed?

Anything under 300 points allowed in a season by any team in this modern era is good and should be the target.

NE allowed just over 300 points on the year, and it could be argued, both at the beginning and end of the year, the points they allowed were garbage time points after having huge, double digit leads in the second halves of games.

This team D clicked in that right direction in Miami in Week 4 and they really haven't looked back.

Trolls have a very hard time admitting this.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]It appears that things will get tougher for the pats. Again - I accept and expect that the playoffs will be harder for all teams, including the colts.  In fact, I don't even have significant confidence that the colts will win vs. the jets.  So, while you (like russ) may want to turn the conversation away from my simple statement so that you feel better about yourself, you are not telling me anything about the colts that I don't already know.  Doesn't change my point.   UD, You see, your original post didn't say anything about the "rest of the teams", it says for the Pats. When I read that post I hear this; The Pats won the last six games because they didn't face a good quarterback. Now....the play offs are here and the Pats will have a much tougher time because they'll be facing better rated quarterbacks, and you go on to call out the specific ratings per QB.  As far me turning the conversation I did no such thing and if you read it again you'll see that all I did was answer your post with the same comparisons. I brought up those comparisons so you could see that your negative tone towards the Pats would be amplified if you redirected those same comparisons against the Colts. Don't whip out stats and then cry when someone jams them down your throat because you can't defend them like you usually do. In fact, isn't this about the time you start bringing up career stats because you have nothing left to stand on? I take it back about you being alright-lol
    Posted by Sam-Adams[/QUOTE]

Geez, my original post did not say anything about other playoff teams because my original post wasn't about other playoff teams (with one very small exception).  It was about the pats pass defense.   

You like Russ want to spin this away from a very simple missed point of context within an article written (the reason for this thread being started in the first place) about the patriots significantly improved defensive passer rating over the final six games of the regular season. 

That point (again and again and again) is that in the final 6 games, the pats played generally substandard QB's from a QB rating perspective.  Only Cutler was in the top half of the league and he is at 16 (last in the top half).  Because of this, it is understandable, even expected, that the pats defensive passer rating would have improved.  I am suggesting that while the article may be accurate, it missed the fact that the pats faced substandard QB's

I simply finished by pointing out that with the exception of Sanchez - all of the other QB's that the pats might face are in the top 10 in passer rating in the league.  The D might expect to have a little more difficulty. 

Sam, I expect Rusty to be cluelessly obtuse, but not you.  Hopefully you are just trying to yank my chain.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cold Hard FB Facts : Geez, my original post did not say anything about other playoff teams because my original post wasn't about other playoff teams (with one very small exception).  It was about the pats pass defense.    You like Russ want to spin this away from a very simple missed point of context within an article written (the reason for this thread being started in the first place) about the patriots significantly improved defensive passer rating over the final six games of the regular season.  That point (again and again and again) is that in the final 6 games, the pats played generally substandard QB's from a QB rating perspective.  Only Cutler was in the top half of the league and he is at 16 (last in the top half).  Because of this, it is understandable, even expected, that the pats defensive passer rating would have improved.  I am suggesting that while the article may be accurate, it missed the fact that the pats faced substandard QB's I simply finished by pointing out that with the exception of Sanchez - all of the other QB's that the pats might face are in the top 10 in passer rating in the league.  The D might expect to have a little more difficulty.  Sam, I expect Rusty to be cluelessly obtuse, but not you.  Hopefully you are just trying to yank my chain.
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

And while we're being factually correct, how many of those QBs have the Patriots beaten already this year?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cold Hard FB Facts : And while we're being factually correct, how many of those QBs have the Patriots beaten already this year?
    Posted by niz-58[/QUOTE]

Since "we" (you) are playing devil's advocate, I am sure you know the answer. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cold Hard FB Facts : Since "we" (you) are playing devil's advocate, I am sure you know the answer. 
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

I know what I would answer, but we may have differing opinions on what constitutes a "good QB".

But, if it's too painful for you to contemplate, we can just skip it. Wink

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cold Hard FB Facts : Dude, don't try and speculate what I was worried about or how my opinion changed. I just saw something interesting and re-posted it. Clearly you play strong teams and usually good teams in the playoffs. Hopefully we can play Peyton again pick him off three times.
    Posted by heisthejuan[/QUOTE]

Juan - the post you replied to was not directed at you but at BBReigns (aka russgriswold).  Your original post was fine.  I found what I considered to be some flawed logic in the article (not your post). 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cold Hard FB Facts : I know what I would answer, but we may have differing opinions on what constitutes a "good QB". But, if it's too painful for you to contemplate, we can just skip it.
    Posted by niz-58[/QUOTE]
    Niz - we may differ.  we may not.  it wouldn't change the facts of the discussion. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cold Hard FB Facts : Geez, my original post did not say anything about other playoff teams because my original post wasn't about other playoff teams (with one very small exception).  It was about the pats pass defense.    You like Russ want to spin this away from a very simple missed point of context within an article written (the reason for this thread being started in the first place) about the patriots significantly improved defensive passer rating over the final six games of the regular season.  That point (again and again and again) is that in the final 6 games, the pats played generally substandard QB's from a QB rating perspective.  Only Cutler was in the top half of the league and he is at 16 (last in the top half).  Because of this, it is understandable, even expected, that the pats defensive passer rating would have improved.  I am suggesting that while the article may be accurate, it missed the fact that the pats faced substandard QB's I simply finished by pointing out that with the exception of Sanchez - all of the other QB's that the pats might face are in the top 10 in passer rating in the league.  The D might expect to have a little more difficulty.  Sam, I expect Rusty to be cluelessly obtuse, but not you.  Hopefully you are just trying to yank my chain.
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

You can't possibly be spending as much time on Colts' message boards as you spend here.  I can only conclude that despite all your protestations you are desperately in love with the New England Patriots.  It's hard not to be.  Why don't you just admit it and join us?  I think we are willing to give anyone a second chance. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

It appears you yank your own chain far too often and may be losing brain cells as a result.

Don't apply to law school either. You aren't getting in.

Your premise is flawed.   If NE hadn't faced any good QBs this year, your point would matter.

Hence, it does not matter because they faced playoff competition and very good QBs like Rivers, Flacco, Manning, Rapelisturd, etc.

In fact, the only QBs they struggled with are ones who they don't have a lot of film on.

MAJOR FAIL

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cold Hard FB Facts : Niz - we may differ.  we may not.  it wouldn't change the facts of the discussion. 
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]
    that's true. The caliber of QBs  the Patriots have faced the last six weeks haven't been the toughest in the league.

I guess I'll have hold to on to the fact that they have a 6-1 record against teams in the playoffs this year. They do play against teams not just QBs.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Niz - If you've read the entire thread, then you have seen that I gave appropriate credit to your pats at the outset for playing their first 10 games to an 8-2 record regardless of the poor defensive passer rating noted in the article.  See below.

That said, the pats were still 8-2 vs. a group of very good QB's and credit must be given here.  Passer rating is worth something but not nearly as much as a W. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

So, why make that statment, pretending the weaker QBs supersedes their tough schedule and quality QB competition?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

[QUOTE]So, why make that statment, pretending the weaker QBs supersedes their tough schedule and quality QB competition?
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

It's an illness. He can't help himself.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]So, why make that statment, pretending the weaker QBs supersedes their tough schedule and quality QB competition?
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

Please feel free to show me where I said this.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cold Hard FB Facts : Please feel free to show me where I said this.  
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

Oh, its right here -  PLEASE LEAVE AND NEVER RETURN.  YOU ARE NOT A PATRIOT FAN, YOUR B.S. ISN'T WANTED HERE, AND WE DON'T NEED SOMEONE ON OUR SITE CHEERLEADING FOR THE COLTS.  IT ISN'T A COLTS SITE.  SO YOU SHOULD GO WHERE YOU ARE WANTED - OR TOLERATED BETTER.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Another thread allowed to be hijacked by an Indy fan........sad.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cold Hard FB Facts : I'm sure MVPkilla wouldn't want us to forget that New Jersey (green) bitch-slapped Buffalo pretty handily in week 17.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]
    Got me, forgot that Jets game.. but then again, the Bills weren't exactly playing at full strength either!