Colts @ Patriots REPORT CARD

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Colts @ Patriots REPORT CARD

At last, all of the wheat has been separated from the chaff. We have a final four that clearly includes the four best teams in the league. The "real" play-offs start next week, with the AFC Championship game in Denver, against the dreaded Horseface. The Pats had to dispose of the Colts in order to earn their title shot. They did so in grand style with a convincing 43-22 win. Here are my grades: 

I. OFFENSE: In a word, "physical", as the "dink and dunk" got replaced by the "pitch and punch". The Pats running game rumbled and rolled over the overmatched Colts for 235 yards, allowing Tom Brady the luxury of picking his spots with the passing game.

1.) QB: If someone had told you that the Patriots were going to beat the Colts, 43-22, you may have envisioned Tom Brady completing 29 of 41 passes for 332 yards, three (3) TDs, and no picks. How wrong you would have been! Tom's figures were but a modest 13 completions in 25 attempts, for 198 yards, and no TDs. By rushing for 235 yards, the pressure on Tom to be the be-all and end-all for the offense was removed. Nonetheless, three of Tom's 13 completions were plays of 25 yards or more, that set up TDs. The first occurred at around the 10 minute mark of the first quarter. Facing a second and nine from from his own 45 yard line, Brady hooked up with Julian Edelman on a short pass over the middle. The play ended up netting 25 yards, giving the Pats a first down at the Indy 30. The second was somewhat similar play to Edelman in the opening minutes of the second quarter. The play gained 27 yards, transforming a first and ten from the New England 48, to a first and ten at the Indy 25. The third and most notable came at the ten minute mark of the third quarter after the Colts had gained the momentum, and cut the New England lead to just 21-15. With a first and ten at his own 12, Brady froze Indy safety LaRon Landry with a gorgeous play fake, and launched a deep missile to a wide open Danny Amendola. The play netted 53 yards, and gave the Pats a first and ten at the Indy 35. This play seemed to re-establish the Pats' command of the game. It led to another TD, which built the Pats lead to 29-15. The third Brady highlight occurred early in the fourth quarter when, facing a 3rd and ten from the Indy 18, Brady hit ex-Colts' WR Austin Collie with a frozen rope, giving the Pats a first and goal from the Colts' three yardline. Two plays later, the Pats would run it in, extending their lead to 43-22. On the negative side of the ledger, on the play directly before his hook-up with Collie, Brady made a horrible decision, trying to force a pass in the endzone to a double covered Edelman. The pass could have, and should have been intercepted by Indy safety Antoine Bethea. Fortunately, the ball clanged off Bethea's out-stretched hands. Brady's second miscue of note occurred when, with three minutes to play in the game and leading 43-22, he faced a 3rd and 10 from the Indy 18...and allowed himself to be sacked, taking the Pats out of easy FG range: GRADE: B;

2.) RBs: For the third straight game, LeGarrette Blount and the Pats' running game left their cleat marks on the opposition's forehead, netting 235 yards in this game. Blount again appeared to be the second coming of Corey Dillon, carrying 24 times fo 166 yards, and four (4) TDs. The highlight of his play was a 73 yard burst, in which he patiently read his blocks, and galloped away. His long TD run put the Pats ahead, 36-22. Credit Stevan Ridley's performance in a supporting role. He finished with 52 yards on 14 carries, two (2) TDs, and a 2-point rushing conversion. Shane Vereen chipped in with a modest 17 yards on five carries, and had two pass receptions for 16 yards: GRADE: A+;

3.) OL: Though the Big Uglies had some issues with pass protection, these were far outweighed by their run blocking prowess. This unit dominated the smallish Indy front seven. Credit TE Mike Hoomanawanui and OG Logan Mankins for making the key blocks to spring Blount on his 73 yard jaunt. Anytime a team rushes for over 200 yards generally signals complete domination of the line of scrimmage by an OL. What was really telling was the success of the ground game in the redzone, as the Pats ran it in for all six (6) of their TDs. Let's hope they an keep this up in Denver!: GRADE: A;  

4.) TEs & WRs: Though the Pats' TEs combined for one catch for six (6) yards, the contributions of the Hoo-man and Blackjack Mulligan came through their run blocking. As noted above, the Hoo-man had a key block in the Blount 73 yard TD jaunt. The grand success of the run game took it's toll on the stats of the WRs. As usual, Julian Edelman led the ever thinning group of receivers with seven (7) catches for 84 yards. Danny Amendola had three (3) receptions for 77 yards, including that aforementioned 53 yarder. Austin Collie added that one important, previously mentioned, 15 yard snare: GRADE: B;

II. DEFENSE: Save for that awful third quarter series in which the "D" allowed Andrew Luck to take his team 80 yards in just three (3) plays for a TD, cutting the New England lead at the time to just 29-22, this group got after it!

1.) DL: Pats' DEs Rob Ninkovich and Chandler Jones were neutralized and taken out of the game by the Colts' OL. In fairness to Jones, it appeared that Colts' LT Anthony Castonzo got away with several holding penalties. The most notable came during the Colts initial TD drive when, facing a 3rd and 3 from their own 27, Andrew Luck converted on a nine (9) yard completion to TE Coby Fleener. Still, the DEs did a good job of keeping Luck in the pocket.  DTs Chris Jones, Joe Vellano, and Sealver Siliga did a reasonably good job in containing what semblance Indy had of a running game (Donald Brown gained 63 yards on 17 carries), and applied some pass rush pressure in the interior, as Jones and Vellano notched a sack each. But, in the case of Vellano, he got away with an obvious trip on his sack, for which he should have been flagged. The DT trio combined for 12 tackles, including five (5) solos: GRADE: B-;

2.) LBs: Dont'a Hightower was solid, leading the team with eight (8) tackles, including three solos. In addition, Hightower alertly picked off a Luck pass that bounced off the shoulder pads of it's intended receiver. His pick killed what almost certainly would have been an Indy scoring drive in the dying minutes of the first half, and preserved a 21-12 halftime lead. Dane Fletcher chipped in with four tackles (one solo). But, OLB Jamie Collins stole the show. Collins finished with six (6) tackles, including two solos, a sack, two TFLs, and a back-breaking interception that derailed any hopes of an Indy comeback, early in the fourth quarter. Collins' athleticism and versatility was on display for all to see, as he was seemingly all over the field. Great job of pass coverage in the redzone early in the third quarter was a four point play, as it forced the Colts into a FG situation. The performance by Collins on Saturday night was one of the finest I've seen from a New England LB since the glory days of Willie McGinest: GRADE: A+                

3.) SECONDARY: On the third play of the game, with the Colts facing a 3rd and two from their own 28, CB Alfonzo Denard stepped in front of a short, quick, sideline route, and brought it back 27 yards. His play set the Pats up with a first and goal, from the Indy two yard line. It led to the first New England TD, and seemingly set the tone for the game. Though Dennard was subsequently beaten later in the quarter on a beautifully thrown 38 yard TD pass to WR LaVon Brazil, he was pretty solid throughout the remainder of the game. Fittingly, Dennard would snuff out Indy's final gasp in the closing seconds, with his second interception of the game. Fellow CB Aqib Talib was his usual solid self. But, safeties Devin McCourty and Steve Gregory had their issues. Too many big plays were allowed. T.Y Hilton (4 catches for 103 yards) hurt the Pats with plays of 46 and 40 yards. Brazil (two (2) catches for 73 yards), in addition to his 38 yard TD grab, added a 35 yard grab. Two of these big plays came consecutively, to quickly answer a New England TD drive. That said, this group preserved the win by completely shutting down Andrew Luck in the final quarter. Luck completed just 20 of 41 passes for 331 yards, two (2) TDs, and four (4) picks...two made by LBs: GRADE: B; 

III. SPECIAL TEAMS: Though this unit is usually a strength for the Patriots, that was not the case on Saturday evening. Four (4) penalties on run backs negated the usual good punt returns from Julian Edelman, and hurt the Pats field position-wise. Worse yet was a terrible sky high snap on a punt attempt that sailed well above the head on punter Ryan Allen. Fortunately, the play only cost the Pats a safety. But, unfortunately, as a result of this putrid play, punter Ryan Allen was lost for the second half of the game, and may be lost for the AFC title game in Denver (shoulder injury). Mistakes like this are inexcusable. Against a more formidable opponent, it would likely mean the difference between winning and losing. Nice job by PK Stephen Goskowski in filling in for Allen. Let's hope that Allen will be 100%, and ready to play in Denver. Good job in kick coverage by the Pats: GRADE: D-;

IV. COACHING: Whatever went wrong on that bad snap can't happen a second time. The fact that the ball was wet and it was raining is no excuse. Plays like that can't happen...ever. The excessive penalties on runbacks must also be addressed. Great job by BB and Josh McDaniels in transforming the offense on the fly to fit the personnel. Only the great coaches can manage this. Keep up whatever has been said or done to the RBs and OL, to get them to play like they have the past three weeks. Incredible job of getting the most out of the defense. It will be interesting to see if Jamie Collins can continue his sterling play next week in Denver. Yes, the Patriots' "D" gave up a lot of big plays to the Colts. But, did anybody really feel that the outcome was in doubt, after the first quarter Dennard pick? BB has done wonders with his team to beat mediocre-good competition. But, can they continue to work miracles against the big boys? There are no soft touches anymore. If the Pats bring anything less than their "A" game to the table from here on out, they have no chance: GRADE: A-;

V. PLAY OF THE GAME: The Dennard pick on the game's third play set up an easy TD for the Pats, and set the tone for the game.

VI. PLAYER OF THE GAME: LeGarrette Blount. Very tough choice among Dennard, Blount, and Collins. Though Collins was particularly outstanding, 24 carries for 166 yards and four (4) TDs is hard to argue with.  

Here are the game stats: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=340111017  

As always, your comments and opinions are welcome. Hoping y'all are having a great day! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SnarkPatrol. Show SnarkPatrol's posts

Re: Colts @ Patriots REPORT CARD

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

At last, all of the wheat has been separated from the shaft.

[/QUOTE]

It's chaff.

That's as far as I got.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to SnarkPatrol's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

At last, all of the wheat has been separated from the shaft.

[/QUOTE]

It's chaff.

That's as far as I got.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

Texaspat - great analysis, as always. I'm hoping this weekend we can shore up the long completions. As you said, the secondary seemed to have some lapses. 

Denver has soooo many weapons. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to mcboyd22's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Texaspat - great analysis, as always. I'm hoping this weekend we can shore up the long completions. As you said, the secondary seemed to have some lapses. 

[/QUOTE]

Frankly, I'm more concerned about the offense putting up points than the defense preventing them. Denver is going to score their fair share of points. The key to the game is limiting their offensive possessions through the running game. Redzone and third down defense by the Patriots is also going to tell the tale.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I thought ST deserved an F. Aiken had 3 bad snaps, not only the bad snap that injured Allen.

I thought Nink and Jones played much better than you give credit. There was constant pressure on Luck, numerous hits and rushed throws. The Colts running game was non existant.

I thought Arrington and Gregory were sub par, McCourty was solid save for 1 play, and Dennard and Talib were very good

I would give the coaching a B-. BB/McD/Patricia were A+, but the ST penalties were very bad

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from AFNAV130. Show AFNAV130's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to mcboyd22's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Frankly, I'm more concerned about the offense putting up points than the defense preventing them. Denver is going to score their fair share of points. The key to the game is limiting their offensive possessions through the running game. Redzone and third down defense by the Patriots is also going to tell the tale.

[/QUOTE]

Why you think this? Offense will be fine. The Broncos were horrible on offense yesterday. First drive, dropped air ball pick. Turned into 7 points.  Fumble. Picked end zone. 3rd and 7 PI call gives them 23 extra yards. Turned into 7 points. No big deal. Should have been a 5 yard holding penalty and a first, but that's not important. Minor detail. The Pats have a better secondary than San Diego plus IF Collins can play like he did, and my bet is he does, that's even more weapons. That 3rd and 17 completion to Julius? Not happening. It would not shock me of the Pats dominate the Broncos. Silgia wasn't playing that first matchup, and Hightower is a very competant linebacker with his current role. The big key? Stop Moreno with your front 4. Can be done. Do not let them use their illegal picks to free up Decker and Welker. The Patriots will have no issue dropping 30 on the Broncos. The Broncos will be hard pressed to put up more than 20. That's without any officiating bias. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to AFNAV130's comment:

[/QUOTE]

Why you think this? Offense will be fine. The Broncos were horrible on offense yesterday. First drive, dropped air ball pick. Turned into 7 points.  Fumble. Picked end zone. 3rd and 7 PI call gives them 23 extra yards. Turned into 7 points. No big deal. Should have been a 5 yard holding penalty and a first, but that's not important. Minor detail. The Pats have a better secondary than San Diego plus IF Collins can play like he did, and my bet is he does, that's even more weapons. That 3rd and 17 completion to Julius? Not happening. It would not shock me of the Pats dominate the Broncos. Silgia wasn't playing that first matchup, and Hightower is a very competant linebacker with his current role. The big key? Stop Moreno with your front 4. Can be done. Do not let them use their illegal picks to free up Decker and Welker. The Patriots will have no issue dropping 30 on the Broncos. The Broncos will be hard pressed to put up more than 20. That's without any officiating bias. 

[/QUOTE]

Yes...the officiating will be cause for concern. After every incomplete Manning pass, their receivers have the habit of throwing their hands out and pleading to the refs for a flag. There were a couple of late PI calls against the Chargers Sunday.

Why do I feel as I do? Because if the offense continues to run the ball the way they have the past three weeks, they'll beat Denver. If they don't, they won't.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Texas Pat solid report as always, but I'm also gonna agree with Rkarp a little here too. Jones and Nink forced a lot of tough throws for luck

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Hightower is the new McGinest. Big player, playing within BBs system, making big plays in big games and solid plays throughout. TOugh, smart, BB type player.

Collins is the new...? I want to say Bruschi ... ???

Dennard is the new Ty Law!

Chandler Jones might be the d line version of Tippet?

This week Peyton Manning will be the new ... Peyton Manning.... reverting to his good ole self as he TRIED to do v SD (note that early pick that was dropped near the goal line plus the actual pick in the end zone...).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hightower is the new McGinest. Big player, playing within BBs system, making big plays in big games and solid plays throughout. TOugh, smart, BB type player.

This week Peyton Manning will be the new ... Peyton Manning.... reverting to his good ole self as he TRIED to do v SD (note that early pick that was dropped near the goal line plus the actual pick in the end zone...).

[/QUOTE]

Maybe so. But make no mistake about it. The key to beating Denver is for the offense to continue to ground and pound, as they have for the past three games.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

They won the game and are going to the AFC Championship you troll.  Report cards are meaningless in the playoffs.  Will you write a Report Card giving everyone a C- after they win the Super Bowl?    

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Maybe so. But make no mistake about it. The key to beating Denver is for the offense to continue to ground and pound, as they have for the past three games.

[/QUOTE]

I would not say "ground and pound". Not only because I dont want us to sound like Rex Ryan. But because it is the passing of TB that keeps the D honest so we can run it and it is the running game that keeps the D honest so BB can burn em. I am sounding like "balanced" is everying guys but it is not balance come hell or high water. It is hit them where you can hurt em. If they are set up for a jab then jab em. If you got a shot at a hook then land it. 

I do agree... though... that we need to run hard, tough aggressive and DANGEROUSLY. But TB has to be able to take the shots the moment he sees them make the BIG mistake of taking HIM for granted.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

Excellent Job TP and suitable for Prime Time.  :)

I agree that Special Teams were bad and like someone else said I would have given them an F.  Luckily Gost could punt and TB could hold after Allen got hurt. 

I also want to see them run again on Sunday but I wouldn't be surprised if they try to throw a little more especially if we get Dobson back as a deep threat even if as a decoy. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from AFNAV130. Show AFNAV130's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE] 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes...the officiating will be cause for concern. After every incomplete Manning pass, their receivers have the habit of throwing their hands out and pleading to the refs for a flag. There were a couple of late PI calls against the Chargers Sunday.

Why do I feel as I do? Beccause if the offense continues to run the ball the way they have the past three weeks, they'll beat Denver. If they don't, they won't.

[/QUOTE]

Fair point. It isn't like they couldn't run it in the first matchup, right? They had 116 yards rushing, and they were down 24-0 at one point. I'd say they have perfected the running game right now. Buffalo had a better rushing defense this season and look what the Pats did to them. One time is an aberration. 3 times in a row, is a threat. They will run, if they got over 100 the first game without Blount being a factor they will get that and more. I also doubt Thompkins has disappeared. It would not shock me if they have kept him in reserve. Out of sight, out of mind. My guess at least.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE] 

[/QUOTE]

Why do I feel as I do? Because if the offense continues to run the ball the way they have the past three weeks, they'll beat Denver. If they don't, they won't.

[/QUOTE]

Fair point. It isn't like they couldn't run it in the first matchup, right? They had 116 yards rushing, and they were down 24-0 at one point.

RESPONSE: True. But turnovers killed the Pats early, and negated all those yards they gained on the ground. The Pats cannot win if they have fumbling issues.

I'd say they have perfected the running game right now. Buffalo had a better rushing defense this season and look what the Pats did to them. One time is an aberration. 3 times in a row, is a threat. They will run, if they got over 100 the first game without Blount being a factor they will get that and more. I also doubt Thompkins has disappeared. It would not shock me if they have kept him in reserve. Out of sight, out of mind. My guess at least.

RESPONSE: I don't see Thompkins or Dobson being a factor...or contributing in any way.

[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

Dobson can provide a deep pass threat.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from AFNAV130. Show AFNAV130's posts

In response to TSWFAN's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This. Remember, I fully believe Bill doesn't show all his cards. Why put Thompkins on film when the run game was where they were at. I could be wrong, but I doubt he's finished. Dobson, well if he's healthy, he's a threat. Play-action could open him up. Big time.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to TSWFAN's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This. Remember, I fully believe Bill doesn't show all his cards. Why put Thompkins on film when the run game was where they were at. I could be wrong, but I doubt he's finished. Dobson, well if he's healthy, he's a threat. Play-action could open him up. Big time.

[/QUOTE]

+1

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Nice write up Tx-Pat.  To me the secondary deserved a C, they gave up way to many big plays.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to stan17's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Nice write up Tx-Pat.  To me the secondary deserved a C, they gave up way to many big plays.

[/QUOTE]

True...but they also made some big plays. The first Dennard pick was the play of the game...and the secondary gave up nothing to Luck in the fourth quarter.   

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

TPat: terrific analysis. To me the secondary needs to be divided in 2. The cornerbacks were quite good. Probably B+----Dennard did get beaten on a perfect pass. But the safties were awful, consistently getting beaten deep on big plays---D-. That's the most worrisome aspect of the game Sunday. Will Manning kill us with big plays? Certainly the DL has to at least hurry Manning and get him out of his comfort zone. Maybe we could have Arrington come off the corner a time or two since he can't seem to cover anyone. A timely strip-sack could change the entire outcome of the game. What do you think?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Except for the penalties and lousy long snaps on ST's there was only one really bad play and that was the TD past our Safeties

Luck made a lot of brilliant throws that had very very little chance of being stopped.

D played great give them A

O played great give the A+ ( 6 tds plus a 2pt)

STs - B - Gost and TB get extra points and new contracts