Colts First, Pats Eleventh, in NFL Power Rankings

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Colts First, Pats Eleventh, in NFL Power Rankings

Here are Rick Gosselin's NFL Power Ratings for the upcoming season: http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/061410
    dnspogosselinnflrankings.3a223bc.html

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Re: Colts First, Pats Eleventh, in NFL Power Rankings

I'm working on ranking who has the best power rankings.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Gosselin's knowledge of the NFL notwithstanding there are a number of inconsistencies in his rankings.  He gives weight to the Colts, Cowboys, Ravens and Falcons draft picks yet seems to imply that most of the other playoff contenders didn't do much in the draft at all.  The Colts have no ground game and an underperforming pass rush yet this doesn't matter?  Indeed, Sam, the Saints lost one player and drop to 8?  Bruschi, Seymour, Vrabel, Samuel?? - ancient history in today's NFL.  I'm sorry, I simply cannot take seriously any power ranking that high (#2) for a Wade Phillips coached football team.  And, finally, did the Texans really improve that much that they are now ahead of the Pats?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

This is almost an exact flip flop from last year when the pats were first and the colts were like 10th. 

I hope that doesn't bode well for the colts.  I haven't yet read the article, but it does surpise me that the colts are first.  Reasons:

1.  There are some questions on the o-line and the longtime o-line coach is gone. 
    2.  Currently there are Wayne & Mathis contract issues.  While the Mathis issue might be well covered with the drafting of Hughes, not so where Wayne is concerned, particularly with the continued questions about Gonzalez's health. 

3.  The interior D-line still has questions the main one of which is how do they get better? 

4.  The colts didn't whip anyone last year.  They spent most of the year coming back from deficits to win games.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

In Response to Re: Colts First, Pats Eleventh, in NFL Power Rankings:
    Gosselin's knowledge of the NFL notwithstanding there are a number of inconsistencies in his rankings.  He gives weight to the Colts, Cowboys, Ravens and Falcons draft picks yet seems to imply that most of the other playoff contenders didn't do much in the draft at all.  The Colts have no ground game and an underperforming pass rush yet this doesn't matter?  Indeed, Sam, the Saints lost one player and drop to 8?  Bruschi, Seymour, Vrabel, Samuel?? - ancient history in today's NFL.  I'm sorry, I simply cannot take seriously any power ranking that high (#2) for a Wade Phillips coached football team.  And, finally, did the Texans really improve that much that they are now ahead of the Pats?
    Posted by ATJ

ATJ - as gosslin noted, the colts had th worst ground game and an underperforming pass rush (as measured by sacks) yet still went to the superbowl.  The run game can't get worse.  The pass rush will be better with an additional player.  Why not think they could do it again?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from justme2. Show justme2's posts

His ENTIRE intro was about how much he loves the Colts. I didn't need to look at his list to see who was first. I'm also confused. How many times can we lose Seymour, bruischi and Samuel? Seems they have been leaving the team every year for the past three years. Also, I don't have the numbers in front of me but I believe the Patriots are one of the youngest teams in the league. 

I wish I could just cut and paste for three years and not have my boss notice. If the information was atleast correct for one of the years I would give him a pass.  

The Patriots are now officially "Below the Radar". BB is wringing his hands and snickering.. OHHH They will pay... they willllllll payyyy...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In Response to Re: Colts First, Pats Eleventh, in NFL Power Rankings : ATJ - as gosslin noted, the colts had th worst ground game and an underperforming pass rush (as measured by sacks) yet still went to the superbowl.  The run game can't get worse.  The pass rush will be better with an additional player.  Why not think they could do it again?
    Posted by underdoggggg

I am a diehard Pats fan but the Colts deserve their props.  Nothing is to say they can't do it again.  However, I really do believe Gosselin is overdonig it on the Peyton Manning worship.  (Yes, I know fans here do the same thing with Brady but this guy's a journalist.)  He mentions the ground game and low sack numbers but essentially dismisses them as irrelevant.  He's big on the Colts' draft but appears to dismiss the relevance of the drafts of some of the other teams.  Sure the Colts can do it again but Gosselin's assertions have too many holes, in my judgment.

Another 2 cents from me.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

The Colts are the winner of the poll so obviously they have an intro as to why.  The team did ride on Mannings shoulders and he was awarded the MVP justifiably so.  There's nothing there saying that the Colts had a wonderful draft.  It shows how dinged they were and won nonetheless.  They have their health back and are high on Hughes their 1st round pick and should be.  Why would their status change as favorites?

The Dallas talk is huge down here.  I think it would be funny to see these guys fall on their face.  There is no fan more biased than the Cowboy fan.  

(3) Baltimore is a team to look out for.
    (7) Surprised to see Atlanta where they are.
    (9) Houston seems to be the pretty boy every year.
    (10) NYJ.  As much noise as we hear from the Jets this is where they are at!?

The talk on NE is just to show the turnover of players.  That's all.  We're dealing with a Dallas fan base here remember.  Trust me.  Gosselin has oodles of respect for Belichick.  To show a high turnover and be ranked 11 is very reasonable. 

In closing did anybody notice where he had the Raiders?   Talk about disrespect!    

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

I'd say that's about right. Pats have a quite few questions heading into this season with a lot of young players. Checked out a couple prognostications today at the bookstore and Athlon has the Pats finishing 3rd in the AFC East, while Sporting News has us 2nd in the East. I'd say right now most people feel this is a 9-7 or so team. If we have 2nd, and 3rd year players still playing rookies and no breakthrough rookies that could happen. Then again if our 2nd and 3rd year players show improvement and our rookie class looks like the 81' Niner's we could win the Super Bowl.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

Atlanta and Houston higher, B.S.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Micksoxx. Show Micksoxx's posts

I would have rated us lower because of Brady's pathetic new haircut.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

Not a problem, who cares what that DA thinks

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from flutie66. Show flutie66's posts

everyone pretty much ripped the rest of this apart... so how about the bills being ranked all the way up at 21???

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBRULES23. Show BBRULES23's posts

I agree with the Colts being ahead of the Pats at this point.  But to rank the Cowboys 2nd pretty much kills this power ranking.  This Dallas morning writer is clearly being a homer.  The Cowboys have in no way shown anything to deserve a ranking of 2nd best team in the NFL.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

I agree with the Colts being ahead of the Pats at this point.  But to rank the Cowboys 2nd pretty much kills this power ranking.  This Dallas morning writer is clearly being a homer.  The Cowboys have in no way shown anything to deserve a ranking of 2nd best team in the NFL.
    Posted by BBRULES23

That's for BB to decide, not you.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Do they hand out a trophy at the end of the year to the best Power Rankings dude?  Is there an Allstar team for Power Rankings dudes as elected by their piers?  Do they have a yearly convention in Las Vegas?  Are they unionized?  Do I need a degree to become one?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

The Colts are done. 
        Manning isn't going to get those bogus PI calls anymore and the 2010 Colts line up is not good enough to cover when Manning chokes.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

The Colts offense will always thrive as long as Tom Moore is calling the plays. We know Peyton Manning gets the praise for "calling his own plays", but Moore is the actually mastermind. If Peyton called his own plays they wouldn't need an OC and they wouldn't need to hire Tom Moore as the "senior offensive assistant". 

The Colts last year thrived through their defense. When the Colts were down the D played with heart and made stops-- just look at the game against the Pats. Their cornerbacks played well, their pass-rush, although lacked sacks, rushed the QB, and their safety play prevented the deep ball. 

I would have the defending world champions as number 1, the runner up as 2, the Vikings (with Favre back) as 3. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

First off, I have the best power rankings. 

Counting that bad playoff game, I have the Patriots at #5 as of the end of the playoffs. 

The January playoff game will be similar to the first 2010 regular season game IF Wes Welker is out and IF various people who were hurting are still hurting in September.  This is the problem with power rankings from February to September.  Who came into the team, who got healthy, and who left?

The Pats are a team that can flay an 8-8 contender like Tennessee alive, 52-0 early in the third quarter before Hoyer comes in for fun.  I looked over a Tennessee fans' blog and they were just flipping out in the second quarter.  That game has faded considerably in my what-have-you-done-lately ratings, but a few big 35-0 whippings late in the season do count.  I would automatically slide the Patriots close to their usual #1 assuming that Welker is back, and he looks pretty active right now. 

Then the Patriots get Brandon Tate who is hot, Cunningham who is hot, Hernandez who is hot, Spikes who is running the defense, Price who is hot, McCourty who is hot and Zoltan who is already better than what they had.  Next they get Chung who has made a big leap, Butler who is a bit better, and probably Edelman can bring up his game a bit this year.  Suddenly they've got a really good backup QB, Hoyer, blossoming on the sidelines.  There's also an unusually large pile of grade B wannabes, some of whom will do better than expected.  In particular, Gronkowski looks like he didn't play last year, but he could get better.  On the negative side, Ben Watson is gone (eh!), Logan Mankins may or may not be gone (ouch!  we'll see), the cornerback Springs wasn't bad at all but the CB position is full up, and some guys that I can't remember are gone.

This sure isn't a #11 team.  This isn't a #3 team.  This isn't a #2 team.  The Colts aren't close. 

I notice BB getting piles and piles of defensive people year after year after year.  Defense has a one or two year lag time to build up, but it has every right to get good if pushed hard enough, and BB is the guy to push it.  In particular, BB wants a pass-oriented defense that will stop Drew Brees and anyone named Manning.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

who cares about pre- power rankings.  The only power ranking that means anything is HOW many WINS the Pats get this upcoming season!  with the hope of course, one of those wins is the big one! -

GO PATS

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

first of all the colts will not make the playoffs this season. The SB loser curse. Simple as that. They have no run game, no offensive line and are having troubles with their WR's, Their safeties are terrible. We beat them last year (but the refs gave it to them). They have to come and play Outside! In NE! peyton will actually have to deal with the elements and i hope it is very cold and snowing when we play the colts. 

They said that we were ranked that low due to roster turnover? we lost watson, baker, thomas, and springs. All of which were cut. Plus we brought in alot of rookies with tremendous talent. Our TE situation is 10X better with hernandez, crumpler, and gronkowski. Our WR situation is better with price, tate, endelman, holt, and slater. Our defense is greatly improved with the addition of McCourty to our DB's which is a very solid set. (bodden, butler, McCourty, the W's, merriweather, McGown, Sanders, chung) The only positions i worry about on defense is DE and OLB which we have alot of players going into camp to try out for those positions.  Our DE problem could be solved if Haynesworth is cut becuase i think he would be a great 3-4 DE.  Man i can't wait for training camp! Go Pats!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

first of all the colts will not make the playoffs this season. The SB loser curse. Simple as that. They have no run game, no offensive line and are having troubles with their WR's, Their safeties are terrible. We beat them last year (but the refs gave it to them). They have to come and play Outside! In NE! peyton will actually have to deal with the elements and i hope it is very cold and snowing when we play the colts.  They said that we were ranked that low due to roster turnover? we lost watson, baker, thomas, and springs. All of which were cut. Plus we brought in alot of rookies with tremendous talent. Our TE situation is 10X better with hernandez, crumpler, and gronkowski. Our WR situation is better with price, tate, endelman, holt, and slater. Our defense is greatly improved with the addition of McCourty to our DB's which is a very solid set. (bodden, butler, McCourty, the W's, merriweather, McGown, Sanders, chung) The only positions i worry about on defense is DE and OLB which we have alot of players going into camp to try out for those positions.  Our DE problem could be solved if Haynesworth is cut becuase i think he would be a great 3-4 DE.  Man i can't wait for training camp! Go Pats!
    Posted by natesubs

I can't agree with your prediction about the Colts not making the play-offs, Nate. Whose going to dethrone Indy as chammpss of the mediocre AFC South?
    The Texans?? 

That said, here are some reasons for you to base your hopes on, Nate: http://www.examiner.com/x-4450-Indianapolis-Colts-Examiner~y2010m6d17-Indianapolis-Colts-2010-offseason-Five-areas-of-concern-offensively-entering-the-regular-season

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

First off, I have the best power rankings.  Counting that bad playoff game, I have the Patriots at #5 as of the end of the playoffs.  The January playoff game will be similar to the first 2010 regular season game IF Wes Welker is out and IF various people who were hurting are still hurting in September.  This is the problem with power rankings from February to September.  Who came into the team, who got healthy, and who left? The Pats are a team that can flay an 8-8 contender like Tennessee alive, 52-0 early in the third quarter before Hoyer comes in for fun.  I looked over a Tennessee fans' blog and they were just flipping out in the second quarter.  That game has faded considerably in my what-have-you-done-lately ratings, but a few big 35-0 whippings late in the season do count.  I would automatically slide the Patriots close to their usual #1 assuming that Welker is back, and he looks pretty active right now.  Then the Patriots get Brandon Tate who is hot, Cunningham who is hot, Hernandez who is hot, Spikes who is running the defense, Price who is hot, McCourty who is hot and Zoltan who is already better than what they had.  Next they get Chung who has made a big leap, Butler who is a bit better, and probably Edelman can bring up his game a bit this year.  Suddenly they've got a really good backup QB, Hoyer, blossoming on the sidelines.  There's also an unusually large pile of grade B wannabes, some of whom will do better than expected.  In particular, Gronkowski looks like he didn't play last year, but he could get better.  On the negative side, Ben Watson is gone (eh!), Logan Mankins may or may not be gone (ouch!  we'll see), the cornerback Springs wasn't bad at all but the CB position is full up, and some guys that I can't remember are gone. This sure isn't a #11 team.  This isn't a #3 team.  This isn't a #2 team.  The Colts aren't close.  I notice BB getting piles and piles of defensive people year after year after year.  Defense has a one or two year lag time to build up, but it has every right to get good if pushed hard enough, and BB is the guy to push it.  In particular, BB wants a pass-oriented defense that will stop Drew Brees and anyone named Manning.
    Posted by Paul_K

Paul - I think you need to scrap ranking system or tweek it substantially.  It was exposed game after game last year. 

At this point, I might consider the pats #5 in the AFC behind - Indy, Balt, SD, and you can pick the next (Mia, Hou, Cin).

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

TP - Mediocre AFC South? 

The AFC South's record vs. the AFC East last year was 9-7 including 2 losses when the colts rested their starters.  Everyone here says that the only reason the Jets were in the playoffs is because the Colts and Bengals rested starters.  If they hadn't, who would have been in?  Likely the Texans. 

Maybe the AFC North is best, but that's debateable. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

TP - Mediocre AFC South?  The AFC South's record vs. the AFC East last year was 9-7 including 2 losses when the colts rested their starters.  Everyone here says that the only reason the Jets were in the playoffs is because the Colts and Bengals rested starters.  If they hadn't, who would have been in?  Likely the Texans.  Maybe the AFC North is best, but that's debateable. 
    Posted by underdoggggg

Come now, Dog(gggg). The Colts are in a class by themselves in the AFC South. The Texans and Titans are, for the most part, perennial .500 teams. The Jags, on paper, are horrible.

But, the 2010 AFC East promises to be far more competitive division. The Pats, Jets, and Dolphins have alll improved...and all three should be tough: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=5167792