COLTS: luckiest team in history?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Re: COLTS: luckiest team in history?

Doggg and Coltsman....  

You have to admit, if you can take your blue tinted glasses off, the Colts have taken advantage of that horseshoe this season.  It is becoming more and more of a topic on the airwaves the luck the Colts have had this season.  I have heard the expression the Colts have been winning many games by "a wing and a prayer" with a yellow flag thrown in for good measure.  I can't quote stats, but, I have watched many games this year in which the game crawl would show the Colts losing in the 4th quarter of a game and then win it.  When I see highlights, they invariably show the Colts opponent having made a bad play, penalty or whatever which gave the Colts the lift to victory.  If I recall correctly, the only game in which the Pats needed to come from behind in the 4th quarter to win during their undefeated season was the Ravens game.  If there is one team most folks talk about that get the benefit of favorable calls etc... it is the Colts.  I have watched them play (not Pats games) and am amazed the calls they get compared to other teams.  I know both of you will smack down this post as nothing but a Pats fan grumbling, but, go to other sites and spout your Colts rhetoric and see what you get.  Especially on those sites in which your team eeked out a victory this year.  You'll need an umbrella to protect yourselves from the rain of hate!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

In Response to Re: COLTS: luckiest team in history?:
    [QUOTE]Doggg and Coltsman....   You have to admit, if you can take your blue tinted glasses off, the Colts have taken advantage of that horseshoe this season.  It is becoming more and more of a topic on the airwaves the luck the Colts have had this season.  I have heard the expression the Colts have been winning many games by "a wing and a prayer" with a yellow flag thrown in for good measure.  I can't quote stats, but, I have watched many games this year in which the game crawl would show the Colts losing in the 4th quarter of a game and then win it.  When I see highlights, they invariably show the Colts opponent having made a bad play, penalty or whatever which gave the Colts the lift to victory.  If I recall correctly, the only game in which the Pats needed to come from behind in the 4th quarter to win during their undefeated season was the Ravens game.  If there is one team most folks talk about that get the benefit of favorable calls etc... it is the Colts.  I have watched them play (not Pats games) and am amazed the calls they get compared to other teams.  I know both of you will smack down this post as nothing but a Pats fan grumbling, but, go to other sites and spout your Colts rhetoric and see what you get.  Especially on those sites in which your team eeked out a victory this year.  You'll need an umbrella to protect yourselves from the rain of hate!
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]

Berman even made a joke about their luck during this week's Sunday NFL Countdown. The response was agreement from the others.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EternalLaw. Show EternalLaw's posts

I don't know what Ed Reed smoked before that game, but where was that "lateral" going exactly? How many lucky breaks do the Colts get?

Answer: Not enough to keep the Texans from smacking them down this Sunday.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

[QUOTE]Doggg and Coltsman....   You have to admit, if you can take your blue tinted glasses off, the Colts have taken advantage of that horseshoe this season.  It is becoming more and more of a topic on the airwaves the luck the Colts have had this season.  I have heard the expression the Colts have been winning many games by "a wing and a prayer" with a yellow flag thrown in for good measure.  I can't quote stats, but, I have watched many games this year in which the game crawl would show the Colts losing in the 4th quarter of a game and then win it.  When I see highlights, they invariably show the Colts opponent having made a bad play, penalty or whatever which gave the Colts the lift to victory.  If I recall correctly, the only game in which the Pats needed to come from behind in the 4th quarter to win during their undefeated season was the Ravens game.  If there is one team most folks talk about that get the benefit of favorable calls etc... it is the Colts.  I have watched them play (not Pats games) and am amazed the calls they get compared to other teams.  I know both of you will smack down this post as nothing but a Pats fan grumbling, but, go to other sites and spout your Colts rhetoric and see what you get.  Especially on those sites in which your team eeked out a victory this year.  You'll need an umbrella to protect yourselves from the rain of hate!
    AGC - in the pats game the colts were on the good side of 2 50/50 calls.  Against the Texans, they were fortunate to have the kicker miss a fg. 

Against the ravens, however, they did not they were on the wrong side of 50/50 calls and the Ravens even benefitted by being allowed to pick up a thrown challenge flag without losing a TO.  

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]......  Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. ...
    Posted by underdoggg[/QUOTE]

And that intersection is under a horseshoe!  You are correct, you have to take advantage of a lucky break to make it work in your favor.  The Pats reached such an intersection in the game against Buffalo with the strip tackle on that kick return.  Like the Colts did when the Pats failed to get the first down (ahem, so the zebras said ) on that 4th & 2 play and when the Pats got the ball after the fumbled KO, both teams needed to succeed on offense to score the winning points.  In either case, the D of the other team failed to execute on their end.  Points have to be scored, they are not given to a team no matter what type of call or play may have occurred to give a team the opportunity.  If a team can stop an offense from scoring from the one yard line in 4 tries, so could they stop a team from scoring from 30 yards out.  Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from passedball. Show passedball's posts

There's even a refs jersey in the Gifts for Colts fans application on Face Book!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RETROP. Show RETROP's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: COLTS: luckiest team in history? : By the end of this season, the colts and pats will have played 8 common opponents: Mia, NYJ, Buf, Hou, Jax, Ten, Bal, Den - That as similar a schedule as 2 teams can have without playing in the same division.  Now this contention that: "we got the opponent when they were playing better", is a bit of a crock, but ok.  The colts got the pats when the pats were playing their best football of the year, and the colts beat them.  

Good point, but don't expect many on this board to be man enough to acknowledge it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from condog24. Show condog24's posts

Fentress: Week 12 NFL power rankings (links)

By Aaron Fentress, The Oregonian

November 24, 2009, 1:06AM
    Jones-Drew.JPGJacksonville running back Maurice Jones-Drew, left, runs for fourth-quarter yardage against the Buffalo Bills during Sunday's game. The Jags suddenly are in the playoff mix.

WEEK 12 NFL POWER RANKINGS

1. New Orleans, 10-0 (1): Now the high-rolling Saints face the only team ever to go 16-0 when New England visits on Monday. (link)

2. Minnesota, 9-1 (2): Mr. interception has just three this season. (link)

3. Indianapolis, 10-0 (3): Luckiest 10-0 team in history of the NFL. (link)

4. New England, 7-3 (6): They don’t use the running game all that often, but running back Laurence Maroney has been potent when given a chance. (link)

5. San Diego, 7-3 (8): The Chargers have allowed 13.8 points per game over last five compared to 27.2 during first five.

6. Arizona, 7-3 (9): Cardinals could have to turn to Matt Leinart. Lucky for them the NFC West is all but locked up. (link)

7. Cincinnati, 7-3 (4): The Bengals' offense fell apart without Cedric Benson and he might not return next week. (link)

8. Jacksonville, 6-4 (12): Three wins in a row have the Jaguars staring down a wild card berth. (link)

9. Dallas, 7-3 (10): Pathetic offense raises questions about Cowboys. (link)

10. Philadelphia, 6-4 (14): Donovan McNabb was kind to offer words of encouragement to Jay Cutler. But what Cutler needs is some of his class and maturity. (link)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

So what should the colts record be?  And anyone with any guts would rank the colts lower than 3rd if they believed they were not that good. 

Calling a team lucky then ranking them 3rd is a bit of a cop out isn't it?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

[QUOTE]So what should the colts record be?  And anyone with any guts would rank the colts lower than 3rd if they believed they were not that good.  Calling a team lucky then ranking them 3rd is a bit of a cop out isn't it?
    Not really they get credit for winning as they should.  But some wins are more impressive than others based on level of competition and margin of victory.  The Colts are winning the close ones which I think is important come playoff time.  I would probably place them 2nd in power but who gives a crap anyways they will have thier opportunity to prove themselves to be the best team in the playoffs.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]So what should the colts record be?  And anyone with any guts would rank the colts lower than 3rd if they believed they were not that good.  Calling a team lucky then ranking them 3rd is a bit of a cop out isn't it?

Dogg.. there are many Pats fans here who wish some luck had come the Pats way in their games against the Jets (1st time), Broncos and Colts.  I am certain none of them, if this luck had happened, would complain about a 10 - 0 record and would be like you fighting off the doubting thomases.  A 10 - 0 record is not given to a team, they do have to play and earn it, regardless of some luck.  There may also be plenty of comparisons to the Pats 2007 season in which no one doubted their undefeated record given how they were blowing most teams away and played some quality competition along the way.  The Colts are now 10 - 0, it is what it is.  Can't wait for the rematch.