Colts Still A Good Test For Our Offensive Line

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Re: Colts Still A Good Test For Our Offensive Line

His point, obviously is that having a first overall pick (or several) does not guarantee success. I would argue the Lions hit on several of their picks. Stafford, Suh, Johnson, that RB I forget his name. The lions are a case study in how talent does not make a team. Which brings us to coaching.... And it's a bit of a mess in Indy and I think you're right they may change nothing hoping Manning will come back and cure what ails the Colts. But my gut feeling is that in a year or two max Manning is gone along with Wayne, and Freeney and maybe more, and if Polian still has influence and Caldwell is still the coach I'm not convinced they'll come back anytime soon. Could be wrong, but I don't think anyone looks at Caldwell and sees him in the future plans...except Polian maybe.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Shen, i agree with the coaching comment but only to a certain extent.  Players also have to "fit". 

As for Caldwell, I think the experiment was the right idea.  Continuity within a system stands for something, and Caldwell was appropriately placed to be next in line, but it hasn't really panned out. 

Sure the colts went to the SB, but (and you and everyone else here knows) I attribute much of that to Manning.  Caldwell, was smart enough to let things ride in 2009, but when his coaching acumen was needed in 2010 and this year, he's come up woefully short. 

Polian is a conundrum.  He's an easy target right now, but he didn't build the 4 SB Bills and the NFCCG Panthers in just 2 years and these colts without doing some things right.  That said, his day may have now come and gone, and I am not sure having his son take the reigns is an adequate answer.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In Response to Re: Colts Still A Good Test For Our Offensive Line:
    [QUOTE]Shen, i agree with the coaching comment but only to a certain extent.  Players also have to "fit".  As for Caldwell, I think the experiment was the right idea.  Continuity within a system stands for something, and Caldwell was appropriately placed to be next in line, but it hasn't really panned out.  Sure the colts went to the SB, but (and you and everyone else here knows) I attribute much of that to Manning.  Caldwell, was smart enough to let things ride in 2009, but when his coaching acumen was needed in 2010 and this year, he's come up woefully short.  Polian is a conundrum.  He's an easy target right now, but he didn't build the 4 SB Bills and the NFCCG Panthers in just 2 years and these colts without doing some things right.  That said, his day may have now come and gone, and I am not sure having his son take the reigns is an adequate answer.
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

The situation reminds me of Kentucky BB back in the late 90's. I don't know if you follow college basketball much but when Rick Petino left KY after winning the championship he handed the reigns to assistant Coach Tubby Smith. Tubby won another championship the next year but everyone knew he got handed the championship team built by Petino. Then the next year it was final four, then sweet 16, then a couple early exits and next thing you know they miss the tournament. Point is it became pretty clear after a couple years that Tubby was cut out to be an assistant, and the team was steadily declining but the brass could not see past the fact that he had won a championship, especially since few coache have. Now you've got Caldwell with a 14 win season and a SB appearance. Maybe this season will open the eyes of the MGMT so they can make a change now instead of having to endure a ten year slow death like KY had to before they finally canned Tubby and got a coach who is not just an assistant.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

[QUOTE]Its been a great rivalry for the last decade.  Its too bad that it won't be much of that this year, and may never be again if a) manning can't come back and b) if Polian is let go.  I'd say most of the colts fan faithful, don't hope for the former, but the tides are certainly turning regarding the latter. 
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

"If Manning can't come back".  Are you serious?

This guy has done a 1000 commercials, he checked out of football a while ago

He built an empire of about a billion  dollars.  Now you think he is coming
    back next year to the 0-16 Colts???  HaHa, can't believe this guy still has the Indy fans fooled.  Maybe Polian should extend his contract?  Lol.

Dog, go to a Colts board and  start a reasonable thread, like "Will Manning be playing, golf or  tennis next year.

Btw, losing Polian would b a blessing for Colts fans.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colts Still A Good Test For Our Offensive Line : But a brutal loss. Unthinkable
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

if we lose to the colts....it would be brutal.  I'd prolly be one of the first posters to use the term patsies in a headline......lol.Laughing

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]bubba - rethink your first paragraph, how is Detroit's HISTORY and the colts history at all similar.  Yes, the colts are in the midst of the Detroit debacle, but Detroit's history had been one of sustained awfulness while the colts in the last decade have been to 2 superbowls winning one.  As for the tanking, no, I don't believe it.  I don't believe people who's job depends on their performance choose not to play for the benefit of a potential high draft pick.  I don't care how good Luck is, if he's drafted and Manning is not around, the colts will be bad again next year.  rookie QB success, Matt Ryan or Andy Dalton, is an aberration.  Ultimately, this year's performance should get Polian and Caldwell canned, but I am concerned it won't.   If it doesn't, I think the owner will have used up every bit of good will built over the last decade. 
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

no, the history is NOT the same.  I was just saying that if a team is having a horrible season - for whatever reason, I think it would be human nature to consider the option of tanking games to get a #1 pick for the upcoming season. I guess I'd be one of those unethical owners who think like that Laughing

The other thing is....it is possible that Peyton's career is over. I'm sure the most recent surgery is a clear signal to ownership that one of the Colt's core players may indeed be on it's way out....and that maybe, just maybe...they can find another franchise QB in the upcoming draft. 

Seriously, If I were a colt fan....I'm thinkin' ....dayum...who the hell is gonna replace Peyton?  Big shoes to fill. It's not like QBs of that caliber grows on trees.

Maybe a sense of desparation from the realization that the organization is going to (eventually) lose a future HOF QB is making them make irrational decisions this year.

Do I think the colts are tanking it on purpose? Prolly not....but I am yanking your chain a little bit...lol Laughing

and, no, I don't think having a #1 pick guarantees success. ......unless you hit the jackpot on a franchise type player...lol

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

I wonder if Polian would like to go back to last years draft and so something smart, like take Mallet in the 3rd rd.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colts Still A Good Test For Our Offensive Line : The situation reminds me of Kentucky BB back in the late 90's. I don't know if you follow college basketball much but when Rick Petino left KY after winning the championship he handed the reigns to assistant Coach Tubby Smith. Tubby won another championship the next year but everyone knew he got handed the championship team built by Petino. Then the next year it was final four, then sweet 16, then a couple early exits and next thing you know they miss the tournament. Point is it became pretty clear after a couple years that Tubby was cut out to be an assistant, and the team was steadily declining but the brass could not see past the fact that he had won a championship, especially since few coache have. Now you've got Caldwell with a 14 win season and a SB appearance. Maybe this season will open the eyes of the MGMT so they can make a change now instead of having to endure a ten year slow death like KY had to before they finally canned Tubby and got a coach who is not just an assistant.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]
    Shen - Yes, I am aware of the Kentucky situation, although I happen to think Tubby is a good coach, and a bit of racism played a part in getting rid of smith.

Getting rid of Caldwell should be a no-brainer,but the problem with it is Polian.  He's earned so much respect from Irsay, that I think Irsay lets him handle everything.  Irsay's not a bad owner, but he's not a great one either.  Polian is a very good GM (he's got a lot of success behind him), but he's also had very good coaches where he's been successful.  He doesn't have that in Caldwell, but he has defended Caldwell at every public opportunity.  Lets hope he's just being diplomatic.  The problem is that diplomacy hasn't been one of Polian's strengths, so I am concerned that he really believes in Caldwell. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colts Still A Good Test For Our Offensive Line : "If Manning can't come back".  Are you serious? This guy has done a 1000 commercials, he checked out of football a while ago He built an empire of about a billion  dollars.  Now you think he is coming back next year to the 0-16 Colts???  HaHa, can't believe this guy still has the Indy fans fooled.  Maybe Polian should extend his contract?  Lol. Dog, go to a Colts board and  start a reasonable thread, like "Will Manning be playing, golf or  tennis next year. Btw, losing Polian would b a blessing for Colts fans.
    Posted by MoreRings[/QUOTE]

What a stupid comment.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]UD6---what are you looking for in this weeks game?  the rest of the season for that matter?
    Posted by WeDerrWEDAT[/QUOTE]

I hope the colts win a game.  I don't know that they will.  I hope the colts don't get beaten by 50.  Belichick will not let up, and that does not bode well for the Colts.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colts Still A Good Test For Our Offensive Line : What a stupid comment.
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

I guess its better than 3200 stupid comments

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

The only way actual tanking could take place is if the coaches played 3rd stringers when starters were healthy, imo. 

Its definitely a signal.  Manning wasn't IR'd at least initially because of hope that he could play by the end of the season.  Now I think its so that if he can practice, mgmt can see whether or not he might be able to play next year. 

No one will replace Manning immediately. 

As a pats fan, you are allowed fun at colts fans expense.  I'd be doing the same
    Laughing

As for drafting a franchise player.  Manning is one, yet he was 3-13 in his first season.  Brady is one and he sat his first season. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colts Still A Good Test For Our Offensive Line : I guess its better than 3200 stupid comments
    Posted by MoreRings[/QUOTE]

And yet you choose to engage me.  That doesn't just make your comments stupid, it makes you stupid. G'day.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colts Still A Good Test For Our Offensive Line : Shen - Yes, I am aware of the Kentucky situation, although I happen to think Tubby is a good coach, and a bit of racism played a part in getting rid of smith. Getting rid of Caldwell should be a no-brainer,but the problem with it is Polian.  He's earned so much respect from Irsay, that I think Irsay lets him handle everything.  Irsay's not a bad owner, but he's not a great one either.  Polian is a very good GM (he's got a lot of success behind him), but he's also had very good coaches where he's been successful.  He doesn't have that in Caldwell, but he has defended Caldwell at every public opportunity.  Lets hope he's just being diplomatic.  The problem is that diplomacy hasn't been one of Polian's strengths, so I am concerned that he really believes in Caldwell. 
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

Oh boy, hop on the bandwagon. Tubby took the team from national champions to a joke getting beaten by community colleges. There is no Parity in college, a top program gets top recruits. The KY's, Hoosiers, NC's, Dukes etc. should be competing every year. Tubby sucked on Merit

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

[QUOTE]The only way actual tanking could take place is if the coaches played 3rd stringers when starters were healthy, imo.  Its definitely a signal.  Manning wasn't IR'd at least initially because of hope that he could play by the end of the season.  Now I think its so that if he can practice, mgmt can see whether or not he might be able to play next year.  No one will replace Manning immediately.  As a pats fan, you are allowed fun at colts fans expense.  I'd be doing the same As for drafting a franchise player.  Manning is one, yet he was 3-13 in his first season.  Brady is one and he sat his first season. 
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

Engaging? No, just bslapping.  Having some fun with you Dog.  You do
    remember this is a Pats board.

And btw, Manning is one?  No, No, again "Was one"

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

If the defense is fired up they can be problematic, like they were against the Steelers. There is no love lost between the two teams, so I expect better effort than I have seen from the Colts' players thus far.