Compensatory Picks, are we supposed to get any?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Compensatory Picks, are we supposed to get any?

I don't think we are going to be anywhere close to last year's 3rd rounder but we should be a couple right?

Who should we get one for?  evans? Jabbar G.?  I'm not sure who we lost that qualifies us to get a comp pick, can anyone help on this one?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LenDaleUSC06. Show LenDaleUSC06's posts

Re: Compensatory Picks, are we supposed to get any?

I believe for you to get compensation picks the player you lose has to be signed by another team & the value as far as compensation picks is based on how much the lost FA is paid.  So, if a player retires or dies (like Marquiese Hill or Gaines Adams) RIP unfortunately for the NFL team that they were on they don't get any compensation picks even though they did lose those players.

Supposedly their is some kind of "Secret Formula" the NFL uses to hand its compensation picks out to teams.  Probably b/c if NFL Teams knew how the picks were deeved up they would try & stretch/cheat the system.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

RETIREMENTS DO NOT GENERATE COMP PICKS...EVANS AND GAFFNEY CERTAINLY COULD RESULT IN COMPENSATORY PICKS BUT NOT HIGH PICKS...PROBABLY THAT WOULD BE IT, BUT THERE HAVE BEEN SOME INSTANCES WHERE THE AWARDING OF PICKS WAS PUZZLING.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

They will receive 2 maybe 3 compensatory pick maybe a 5th rounder and 2 7th round picks,but like Patsfan24.7 said any compensatory picks are significant as this is a very deep draft and any and all picks could make a difference considering the needs of the Patriots.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Anarchy99. Show Anarchy99's posts

Compensatory picks are awarded based on net gain of free agents (so players coming or going that were cut don't count).  The level of the picks are mostly dependent on the size of the contract the player accepted from their new team.  The language also includes a section on performance, but their pay is by far the main factor.

I believe in the "loss" category are: Jabbar Gaffney, Kelley Washington, Heath Evans, Lamont Jordan, Stephen Spach, Larry Izzo, and Lonie Paxton.

In the "gain" category were Al Johnson, Damane Duckett, and Brandon McGowan (the first two didn't even make the team).

Given that none of the guys that left town signed for much money, I think the Pats will be lucky to get much more than a 6th round pick.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

you forgot Bodden in the gained catagory.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LenDaleUSC06. Show LenDaleUSC06's posts

What about Bodden, TBC, Shawn Springs, Chris Baker, Rob Ninkovich ??

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

RFA loses Trades or Cuts

-Greg Lewis
    -TE Smith
    - Larry Izzo
    - Gaffney
    - ?
    - ?

Signings

McGowan
    Galloway
    Springs
    Bodden
    Taylor
    ???

i think the cut, loses and trades = out in the patriots favor and that they will retain two 5th round picks which is why they cut Greg Lewis and Alex Smith because they knew cutting them would land them a comp

i am not positive but i think that this is correct

This is a question as well?

does it make sense to you

Signings 6/3 were cut two of the cut players cost them two 5ths and a 7th last year

Losses including Vrabel/Cassell add up to 8

based on Gap 2 we would receive two compensatory picks????

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Anarchy99. Show Anarchy99's posts

Players that are traded or cut -- coming or going -- DO NOT count toward compensatory picks.  Taylor, Bodden, Springs, Baker, et al were RELEASED from their prior teams.  So their old teams get no credit in the calculations, nor do they impact their new teams either.  NO WAY do teams get comp picks for CUTTING players.

Comp picks are ONLY awarded for players that were UFAs and signed with another team.  That's it.  Any other way that they were elimates them for any consideration in any credit or loss in the calculations.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Anarchy99, once a player is cut, they then become an UFA, so they do impact their NEW team.  So Bodden etc do count for us.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Anarchy99. Show Anarchy99's posts

I work for a site as a football analyst and have reported on football for the past 7 years.  Players that are cut DO NOT count towards compensatory picks.  Compensatory picks are payment for a LOSS of a player that played out his contract and chose to sign with another team.  A team suffers no loss or damages from CUTTING a player.

Once a player is released, he is no longer "property" of his former team.  When a team cuts that player, they VOID his contract and lose any sort of rights to him . . . they CHOSE to cut ties with him.  Teams DO NOT get compensatory losses for someone they kicked out!

Of the notable UFAs the Pats signed this past season, the big names were all RELEASED by their old teams.  So the old teams don't get "credit" toward losing those players, nor are the Patriots "penalized" for signing them.

Think of it like this.  If you were married and your spouse cheated on you, that would be considered infidelity.  But if you were divorced and your spouse hooked up with someone else, then it wouldn't be anything.  You were already divorced, and once that happens all bets are off and anything goes.