Connor Barwin on joining Patriots: 'That would be nice'

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Connor Barwin on joining Patriots: 'That would be nice'

In response to Godvernment's comment:

he's a 3-4 OLB. NE runs a 4-3. end of story. glad to hear he's a fan of the patriots.

He's a 4.6 40 guy with great 3 cone and 20 shuttle times who is a better then average coverage LB's when healthy and could provide a pass rush. 

BTW Hightower is a 34 OLB and Nink is a 34 OLB yet they are still on the team. I'd take a 34 OLB if he can cover and on occassion pass rush anyday on this team. Mayo, Hightower, Barwin on passing downs sounds pretty good to me

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

he's a 3-4 OLB. NE runs a 4-3. end of story. glad to hear he's a fan of the patriots.

Well, that actually doesn't make sense because he didn't play 3-4 at Univ of Cincy when he came out in the 2009 draft. He was a DE like Nink was at Purdue when he came out in 2005.

It's not so much what he played in Houston it's the idea he can easily go back to a college level 4-3, but BB would love a guy who knows the 3-4.

Just saying.  You have two MLBs who can play 3-4, Nink knows the 3-4 from the edge and the idea of Barwin in the mix as a DE/OLB only helps.

Not saying NE is looking at him or the money makes sense, but this argument about BB now running more 4-3 so he's not a fit, doesn't reallly matter.  

BB loves versatility.

Patriots can easily play 2 of Barwin, Cunningham and Nink at OLB, Spikes and Mayo at ILB, Vince at NT and 2 out of Love, Francis and Deaderick at DE.

If they were to also sign someone like Cullen Jenkins or draft an end that can play in 3-4 that would  go a long way to making our defense able to seamlessly switch back and forth and be even more unpredictable.

I'd also rather have Barwin as a pass-rush DE right now than Cunningham or Bequette.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jonhoop74. Show jonhoop74's posts

Pats seemed to like him in 2009

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2009/04/connor-barwin-patriot-visit-reaction.html

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

The guy is athletic and would add a piece either playing end or olb for us. Uide don't think his price tag will be prohibitive, but, does he give us enough of what we are missing on the outside. If you play him I think you have to sit someone. Is he upgrade over nink? 

Given his size and speed, I potentially see him playing all over the pljones if the pats drafted a big body to go on the line, or used armstead/deaderick as 3-4 enD's, we could put he and jones as 3-4 olbs and mayo and Hightower inside, with Vince playing end/nose if we drafted a big body like Jenkins, Hankins, Williams could play inside or out with armstead/ deaderick as the other end...I like that alignment. It gives us speed on the outside, and lots of power on the line. Assuming of course jones can stand up and we draft an interior DT. Problem is nink sits...any trouble with this?

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

He's a 4.6 40 guy with great 3 cone and 20 shuttle times who is a better then average coverage LB's when healthy and could provide a pass rush. 

BTW Hightower is a 34 OLB and Nink is a 34 OLB yet they are still on the team. I'd take a 34 OLB if he can cover and on occassion pass rush anyday on this team. Mayo, Hightower, Barwin on passing downs sounds pretty good to me

ummm... no, hightower and nink are not 3-4 OLB's. 

Considering BB has used both as 34 OLBs at times, Nink for an entire season as a 34 OLB and Hightower in 34 sub packages. Would you care to explain what position they would play in a 34 and why they wouldn't be 34 OLBs?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I like Barwin, but also see duplication with Nink, Jones, Hightower, Mayo, Baquette, Francis, Cunningham. Not that Barwin isnt a better player than some of these guys listed, but money is better spent elsewhere.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

barwin has has never played with his hand in the dirt in the NFL. is it possible he can? sure.

I mean this isn't scientific or anything, but if you watch some of his highlight videos he has lined up with his hand in the dirt before.  A lot of "LBs" play at the line a lot.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Who says the 3/4 is done here...................

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Everything I've read about Barwin has said that he is stout vs. the run, but has struggled in the pass rush, which I find peculiar for a guy his size. If he is going to play end in our 43, he would be a size upgrade over nink, but we'd still be a little light with him and Jones on the other side. If we are going exclusive (or close to it) in the 43 I'd love to see us add a 6'4" 275 pound end...and really Jones might bulk up like that during the off season, but those guys are hard to find.

I imagine Barwin would be a versatile signing for us and provide more than nink, but I would not put him in the difference maker catergory.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I wonder if he can still play TE like he did at U of Cincinnati? If so then by all means sign him as he could eat two roster spots allowing the Patriots the luxury of keeping an extra DB or WR.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

Probably a done deal