Costas uses the Jevon Belcher tregedy to preach gun control at halftime........

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Re: Costas uses the Jevon Belcher tregedy to preach gun control at halftime........

My favorite quote comes from Archie Bunker while talking to his daughter about gun control.  "Would you feel better if they were pushed out of ten story windows?".

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

Re: Costas uses the Jevon Belcher tregedy to preach gun control at halftime........

In response to garytx's comment:
    [QUOTE]

My favorite quote comes from Archie Bunker while talking to his daughter about gun control.  "Would you feel better if they were pushed out of ten story windows?".

[/QUOTE]

lol

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hog73. Show Hog73's posts

In response to 49Patriots's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to TheExaminer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Conservatives and their guns. =)

[/QUOTE]

You betcha! ;-)

[/QUOTE]

I love you guys, bibles and guns solves all your problems. =) 

[/QUOTE]
    49Patriots = NMLDB

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hog73. Show Hog73's posts

NMLDB: An Acronym for Narrow Minded Liberal Doosh Bag

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Yeah, cuz he couldn't have stabbed her to death instead and then slit his wrists.

We had better ban kitchen knives.

There are a LOT of stupid people in this world with just as stupid an agenda.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Even more significant, there are far fewer incidents of guns used in domestic or workplace violence.

[/QUOTE]

Ahhh, pro..... Canada having 1/10th the population of the US would have inherently fewer incidents... don't you think?

Would you like another dozen reasons why Canada would have less?

sigh

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Even more significant, there are far fewer incidents of guns used in domestic or workplace violence.

[/QUOTE]

Ahhh, pro..... Canada having 1/10th the population of the US would have inherently fewer incidents... don't you think?

sigh

[/QUOTE]

The population size is not related to percentage of incidents. America has the most gun ownerships in the world by far. It's gun homicide % is not as high as some other countries(Venezuala for example) but it is much much higher than Canada's. The year I looked up the US was the 28th worst behind even the West Bank and Gaza strip.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

sigh

[/QUOTE]

I think he was quoting per capita figures, Babe. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate. Look, I am an avid hunter so I own guns. However, I have come to the conclusion that we do need some sensible laws regarding certain types of firearms and stricter controls on how homeowners store guns. Bad people will use any weapon they can find to commit crimes but we can reduce their options somewhat with better controls and rules. When you take a look at the statistics I referenced, there IS a correlation between ease-of-access to firearms and gun-related violence, both deliberate and accidental. How can there not be one? I want to be able to own and use guns but I am also willing to abide by stricter rules on how I can buy them, use them, and store them. Anyway, I have changed my mind on this subject over the years. Don't mean to preach, and certainly not on a football message board but since the topic was being discussed, I thought I would put in my two cents worth...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

Why would this guy even own a hand gun?  It obviously wasn't to go hunting with.  Most people I know don't use hand guns for hunting.

Home protection maybe?  A big, tough linebacker that plays professional football for a living needs a hand gun for personal protection?  Yeah, right.

In the end, the only thing he more than likely used that gun for was to kill his girlfriend and himself.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to Salcon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Why would this guy even own a hand gun?  It obviously wasn't to go hunting with.  Most people I know don't use hand guns for hunting.

Home protection maybe?  A big, tough linebacker that plays professional football for a living needs a hand gun for personal protection?  Yeah, right.

In the end, the only thing he more than likely used that gun for was to kill his girlfriend and himself.

[/QUOTE]

I know a lot of people who own guns, rifles and hand guns.  Some own them to hunt, others own them for personal protection, some own as a hobby,  and some own because them because they have a right to own them.    I'm sure the majority of players of all sports owns at least one gun, it doesn't mean they are going to kill someone and I seriously doubt Belcher bought a gun with the intent to kill his girlfriend and himself.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hang3xc. Show hang3xc's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So someone breaks into the house of this "big, tough linebacker" and this "big, tough linebacker" comes out of his bedroom to kick some azz. The burglar unloads on him. The "big, tough linebacker" is dead. Big and tough don't mean ANYTHING when someone has a gun pointed at you.

He surely did NOT buy the gun one day solely as a means to end the life of himself and the mother of his kid even if that was the only thing it ever did get used for

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hang3xc. Show hang3xc's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's the perfect time to do it when you want to put the blame of this horrible killing on aything other then head trauma due to football.  Makes perfect sense why they did it tonight, probably will do it again tomorrow night too.

[/QUOTE]

LOTS of people suffer head trauma, not just football players. How many pick up a gun, football players included, and kill the mother of their child... or ANYONE?

How many people without EVER suffering head trauma go out and kill people? LOT'S! Hundreds, if not thousands, every year. Get off the head trauma

People should stop trying to blame it on anything. It wasn't the gun's fault, or access to it. He was huge, she was weak. He could've strangled her, beat her to death, or killed her any number of ways quite easily... then drove into a tree, commited suicide by cop, or killed himself any number of ways quite easily .

It also wasn't the fault of head trauma, as evidenced by the HUGE amount of people who have suffered head trauma and NOT killed anyone. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

How many times do I have to say this to IGNORANT people? GUNS DON'T SHOOT BY THEMSELVES--PEOPLE HAVE TO USE THEM-----KINDA LIKE DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER! PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE------- USING GUNS, CEMENT BLOCKS,KNIVES,HAMMERS,BASEBALL BATS,POISONS,YOU NAME IT. Read YOUR Constitution-----THE RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS!!!!!!!  Enough of this garbage about banning guns!!!!!!!! Now where can I buy another rifle,shotgun or pistol?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zeitgeist49. Show zeitgeist49's posts

Many  countries  throughout  the  world, like  Japan, England, Switzerland, France, Sweden  and  many  others  have  much  stricter  gun  control  laws  than  the  U.S.  And  the  results  are  indisputable.  In  1980,  Japan  which  banned  hand  guns,  had  8  murders  by  handgun.  The  U.S.  in  1980  had  over  16,000.  And  in  the  last  few  years, Americans  murder  each  other  with  handguns  at  a  rate  of  about  34,000  a  year.  Do  your  own  research.  The  point  is  having  stricter  and  more  reasonable  gun  laws  doesn't  eliminate  murder.  It  just  severely  reduces the  number  of  murders.  And  total  population  numbers  are  not  a  good  argument  against  gun  control.  Just  take  a  look  at  the  percentages  of  populations  that  are  murdered  by  handgun.  There's  a  reason almost  all  industrialized  nations  have  stricter  gun  laws.  They  work.  But  they  don't  eliminate  murder  altogether.  Guns  are  a  big  money  making  industry  in  the  U.S.    That's  why  there  will  never  be  sensible  hand  gun  legislation.  Our  politicians  are  all  bought  and  paid  for.  The  other  dynamic  is  that  unless  an  individual  has  personally  suffered  because  of  gun  violence, they  don't  see  it  as  a  big  problem.  They  just  choose  to  live  in  their  insulated  world. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

That was the wrong forum for Costas to express his views on gun control and this is, in my opinion, the wrong forum to discuss an issue like this.  For one thing, it never remains a discussion.  Gun rights advocates have very strong views as do gun control advocates.  With all due respect to everyone and their opinions, I'd rather stick to football.

The whole thing was a horrible tragedy no matter which side of the discussion you view it from.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

[QUOTE]

Really salcon? Are you serious? So big bad linebacker would have no probblem stoppping little scrawney dude with a itty bitty loaded gun? You are right, that is one "Bad a$% linebacker"!

[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Good for Costas.  I'm a gun owner and avid hunter myself, but the US needs more sensible gun control.  It's just too easy for anyone to get a handgun. There's way more gun crime in the US than any other civilized first-world nation. The reason is because guns are too easy to get. 

[/QUOTE]

Canada has much looser gun laws has no gun violence. It is a culture issue not a legal issue. Canada has slightly stricter national policy but the local gun laws in America are much stricter on the whole. 

[/QUOTE]

I have preached the culture issue many times.  Some people have a hard time understanding it. No disrespect to Pro.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

In response to zeitgeist49's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Many  countries  throughout  the  world, like  Japan, England, Switzerland, France, Sweden  and  many  others  have  much  stricter  gun  control  laws  than  the  U.S.  And  the  results  are  indisputable.  In  1980,  Japan  which  banned  hand  guns,  had  8  murders  by  handgun.  The  U.S.  in  1980  had  over  16,000.  And  in  the  last  few  years, Americans  murder  each  other  with  handguns  at  a  rate  of  about  34,000  a  year.  Do  your  own  research.  The  point  is  having  stricter  and  more  reasonable  gun  laws  doesn't  eliminate  murder.  It  just  severely  reduces the  number  of  murders.  And  total  population  numbers  are  not  a  good  argument  against  gun  control.  Just  take  a  look  at  the  percentages  of  populations  that  are  murdered  by  handgun.  There's  a  reason almost  all  industrialized  nations  have  stricter  gun  laws.  They  work.  But  they  don't  eliminate  murder  altogether.  Guns  are  a  big  money  making  industry  in  the  U.S.    That's  why  there  will  never  be  sensible  hand  gun  legislation.  Our  politicians  are  all  bought  and  paid  for.  The  other  dynamic  is  that  unless  an  individual  has  personally  suffered  because  of  gun  violence, they  don't  see  it  as  a  big  problem.  They  just  choose  to  live  in  their  insulated  world. 

[/QUOTE]

And I have done my research. Again, It is much more of a cultural issue than a gun issue. Do you really think that school killings will stop or significally decrease with gun gun control? I am quite sure they will not.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I bet Sean Taylor wished he had a gun for protection the night intruders broke into his home then shot and killed him.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

[QUOTE]

Good for Costas.  I'm a gun owner and avid hunter myself, but the US needs more sensible gun control.  It's just too easy for anyone to get a handgun. There's way more gun crime in the US than any other civilized first-world nation. The reason is because guns are too easy to get. 

[/QUOTE]

gun laws, like what?  Easy in theory, not so easy to implement.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to stan17's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I bet Sean Taylor wished he had a gun for protection the night intruders broke into his home then shot and killed him.

[/QUOTE]

Thank you Stan. Taylor is a perfect example.  So if he used a shotgun the anti gun people would be happy. Costas should keep his agendas to himself. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

Look at the gun violence in Mexico; look at the gun violence in the southside of Chicago; 70% and 90% respectively of those racists voted for Obama. It is obvious we have a culture/ values problem.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Canada has much looser gun laws has no gun violence. It is a culture issue not a legal issue. Canada has slightly stricter national policy but the local gun laws in America are much stricter on the whole. 

[/QUOTE]

I've lived in both countries.  Believe me, the handgun laws are much stricter here.  Many large capacity guns are completely illegal, and if you own a handgun you can't take it anywhere that is not specified on your permit to carry it.  If you want to take your pistol to the gun club to shoot it, you need to have a permit that allows you to take it to that specific gun club.  If you take it anywhere else you can be arrested. 

I lived in Massachusetts for years, one of the states with tough (by American standards) gun laws.  It was quite easy to get a permit to carry concealed if you wanted one.  I never bothered to get one, but my wife had hers.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

my response to Bob Costas is simple.....if the girlfriend owned a gun as well, she might have been able to defend herself and may be alive today.