Costas uses the Jevon Belcher tregedy to preach gun control at halftime........

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: Costas uses the Jevon Belcher tregedy to preach gun control at halftime........

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

1.8 and 3.5 are different numbers.  Take out blacks and the US still has a homicide rate almost twice Canada's

[/QUOTE]

Wow, that's .000017% more (whites only).

Or Canada has .000018% homicides per 100,000. And the US has .000035% per 100,000.

Or you could compare two cities of 100,000. One city had 1.8 murders a year. The other 3.5. Not a hand wringing difference there pro.

I think your clinging to 1.7 more in the rate per 100,000 is a rather shrill and alarmist attempt to make a case.

After all, Canada is almost twice as high a rate as Australia. What are the canucks doing wrong?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Costas uses the Jevon Belcher tregedy to preach gun control at halftime........

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

1.8 and 3.5 are different numbers.  Take out blacks and the US still has a homicide rate almost twice Canada's

[/QUOTE]

Wow, that's .000017% more (whites only).

Or Canada has .000018% homicides per 100,000. And the US has .000035% per 100,000.

Or you could compare two cities of 100,000. One city had 1.8 murders a year. The other 3.5. Not a hand wringing difference there pro.

I think your clinging to 1.7 more in the rate per 100,000 is a rather shrill and alarmist attempt to make a case.

After all, Canada is almost twice as high a rate as Australia. What are the canucks doing wrong?

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Canada is a fairly generous comparison for the US.  Add in advanced countries with even stricter gun control laws and the US looks much worse. Regardless of how you try to spin it, 10 firearms deaths per 100,000 people is high.  It's a third-world rate.  First-world countries typically have rates more like 1 to 3 per 100,000.  

I'll just add that I think it's rather callous to say "it's a small price to pay for our liberty" or "it's nothing to wring hands about."  If it was your daughter who was murdered in front of you or mowed down in a movie theatre, I suspect you'd feel a bit differently. If the US could get its firearms death rate more in line with the firearm death rates of similarly advanced nations, there'd be about 15,000 or 20,000 fewer parents every year in the situation Ms. Perkins is in.  Is that trivial? I think not. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Nobody here mentioned the fact that Arab owned convienience stores have the lowest robbery rate, simply because they have a reputation for having an arsenal under the front counter. If a criminal knows he may face an armed store or home owner, he is not coming to rob you... 

P.S. Where is the NY guy answering my response that I have no problem with Bill Koch and his Sherman tank in the driveway a few miles down the road???

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to ccsjl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Nobody here mentioned the fact that Arab owned convienience stores have the lowest robbery rate, simply because they have a reputation for having an arsenal under the front counter. If a criminal knows he may face an armed store or home owner, he is not coming to rob you... 

P.S. Where is the NY guy answering my response that I have no problem with Bill Koch and his Sherman tank in the driveway a few miles down the road???

[/QUOTE]

Where do you get your data?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Minor point I know, but this has been actually studied and there is quantifiable data available?  Perhaps you can point us to the link.  And just to be clear, if the source is the same link that you posted earlier to the Tea Party gun dealer you may wish to re-check your sources. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

In a country where there are almost as many guns as there are people (in the mid-2000's I read that there were 200+ million guns in this country, the vast majority on the black market), it is ridiculous to think that requiring gun permits will stop someone who wants a gun from finding one.  I am not a gun lover by any stretch, but making law abiding citizens get a permit does what?  It makes everyone feel better, like something is being done to control the problem.  Guns are ingrained in the culture of this country.  I doubt there is the political will or wherewithal to do anything to curb the number of guns on the street.      

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

First I didnt post any links on here. Secondly, heroin, meth, etc. are illegal yet addicts have no problem getting them. Whitey Bulger, a lifetime felon, had 18 firearms in his apartment when apprehended in CA, a state tied with MA as having the strictest gun laws in the country . My quote about the Arab owned stores being the least robbed was actually on a National Geographic special about prison life. The remark was made by one of a group of hardcore felons, and the whole group nodded in acknowledement and a second convict replied that if they know they will face an armed owner, they will bypass the place for an easier target. Its like bank robbery - criminals go after an unarmed bank teller for a few hundred bucks as opposed to going after the armored car with its armed guards with many thousands of dollars, as they know they will not be facing a firearm. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

In response to AZPAT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to 49Patriots's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Cultural problems: Abortion, legalization of marijuana, violence in movies and on TV, provacative dressing of young ladies (especially HS kids), more "takers" than "givers" (and society being OK with it), acceptance/multiple "another chance" for DUI (Hey! EVERYONE does it!)

Which ones do you want to get rid of? Or, is "culture", or what should be acceptable in society, dependent on what you determine it to be?

Noe, be careful! Some of these have been legislated, sort of like the 2nd amendment. Ought to be interesting.

[/QUOTE]

When are you guys going to secede?!! God, take Oklahoma, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia and all those other clown states with you! Funny, the most advocate pro-gun Americans are usually Right-Wingers, but you list Liberal beliefs as the cause of gun violence.

Abortions is no one's business, if you don't think it's right, don't do it! No one is force you to have an abortion! It's a choice between a woman and her doctor, not you and your bible and Authoritarian style of government!

Marijuana is no more lethal to your brain than Alcohol, why don't we criminalize Alcohol again while we're at it, huh? How many times have you heard that a guy was so high from Marijuana that he started a fight in a bar...or drove high and killed someone? Why is it illegal? 

Violence in movies and TV? Yeah, like Football? Should football be illegal?

Provacative style of dress by young ladies? Dude, we're you born in the 50s or something? It's no one's business what a woman wants to wear! Funny how you're fighting for your second ammendment rights, but you're all for taking away someone's first ammenment rights.

More takers than givers? The 47% of Americans who don't pay taxes consists of the elderly, veterans and people who manage to take advantage of tax breaks like child tax deductions. Funny how when coperations take advantage of loopholes they're wise. When average joes do it they're takers. The very few who don't pay taxes because they're poor live mostly in the South, Red States pay less in taxes than Blue states! The North East and West Coast keep America a float! The rest of you, red states, are the takers around here!

It's too easy to get a gun, there are too many guns in the United States! Guns don't kill people, people kill people, right? But they kill more people with guns!

[/QUOTE]

Oh, where to start......

God, take Oklahoma, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia and all those other clown states with you!

We'll address this on a tad bit later.

Abortions is no one's business, if you don't think it's right, don't do it!

Can never accuse you of paying attention to the recent news and election, can we? Hear about the mythical War On Women? How about restricting/cutting off funds for Planned Parenthood? They're not bellyaching about condoms or The Pill. I agree with yiur ascertion, though: don't like it, don't get one. But, my problem is when it's now a federal entitlement program, and is used as birth control. Totally eliminates personal responsibility after the fact. Supportes whine about how much $ the tax payer will "save" when terminating an "unwanted pregnancy" (kind of impersonal, don't you think?) I'd be perfectly happy if the fed govt (ie: MY tax dollars) would be forbidden from going that route. Need I remind you that a condom costs significantly less than $1? Now, YOU tell me which is more cost efficient. I'll wait.

Marijuana is no more lethal to your brain than Alcohol

It impairs judgement and reflexes. Yes, there are instances where driving high has killed people... innocent people. I believe it's called DUI, with nteh "I" standing for "influence". Check it out. Banning alcohol? Again, Sparky, reqd some history on Prohibition. Do you really suggest that America would welcome a retun to all that violence? If banned, I'll get worried when an army of stoners organize to march, er, stumble, on Washington DC. I've got 4100 that says most would never ID their right from left feet.

Violence in movies and TV? Yeah, like Football? Should football be illegal?

Typical libbie response. It's either "it's not as bad as...", or, in some weird way of thinking, "that's viiolent too!". Here's a solid clue: NO ONE'S DYING IN FOOTBALL GAMES. Is that simple enough? Watch the ads for these "games". I don't see anything but violence in the trailers. In fact, it's glorified, as being THE reason to buy them. Sorry, no "Reset" button in life.  

Provacative style of dress by young ladies? Dude, we're you born in the 50s or something?

Why, yes I was born in the 50's. If you think that dress has absolutely NOTHING to do with rape or sexual assault, you're loonier than that nut running Iran. I guess you believe it's a good thing to send your 15 year old daughter out the door for school, or the movies, or the mall looking 25. Go by a high school on a nice warm day either before or after school, and it'll look amazingly like a Adult Video Movie convention. Dressing this way DOES draw attention to themselves. Some good, some not so good. But, I'd guess that you'd feel that if the gal was totally fabric free in a park, that was OK, as she has a first amendment right to do that. Sorry, but check up on local laws regarding this behavior. BTW, I never said I'd ban prevocative dressing. My reference goes to "culture".

The 47% of Americans who don't pay taxes consists of the elderly, veterans and people who manage to take advantage of tax breaks like child tax deductions.

Tsk! Tsk! Tsk! You forgot to add govt pensioners, and SSI recipients. There's also welfare, extended unemployment, and food stamps. Then, there's Medicare and Medicaid. But, the 47% that Romney and you reference are those folks that would never ever vote for him or any Republican. As you state, check out the blue states. Funny how they are all operating under huge deficits, eh? Yet this is a good thing, right? California has/had the 7th biggest economy in teh WORLD, yet it's $65B in debt, with no way out. Tax payers are leaving the place. There isn't enough tax money to pay the entitlements, especially for those illegal, er, "undocumented" aliens.  As I said before, I can't wait to see what happens when the money runs out. Greece, Spain, Portugal, here we come.

The very few who don't pay taxes because they're poor live mostly in the South

Interesting.... I guess you never heard or were exposed to places like Roxbury, Roslindale, or Mattapan, eh? How do you explain "inner city problems", or is that a myth too? Bad schools? Underperforming students? Most kids from single parent "families"? Yessir! Only in those vile red states! LMFAO!!!!

The North East and West Coast keep America a float! The rest of you, red states, are the takers around here!

Now, I have to weriously doubt if you know what you're talking about or if you took Mommy's or Daddy's keyboard without permission. Sparky, the "red states" aren't driving this $16 TRILLION deficit. (That's a number with 12  zeros to the left of the decimal point.) I never knew that Alabama, Mississippi, and Florida are the main culprit os this! here I'm thinkingb that the majority of states with Republican administrations have things like lower unemployment, higher tax revenue, and better fiscal control of budgets, despite not getting the same money from teh Fed Govt! Better fiscal control means spending wisely, not handing our gobs or it, with no strings attached.  If you think that $16 TRILLION in debt is a GOOD thing, then I suggest you go to a bookstore and buy Deficits For Dummies right now.

Funny how when coperations take advantage of loopholes they're wise.

Proof you haven't got a clue.... Now, please tell us how these loopholes came into being? Again, be careful..... Libbies have controlled the Congress for a whole lot longer than evil Republicans have. Either they created these loopholes, or have done nothing to close them or get rid of them. They are there for whatever reason(s) they were created, mostly as part of the give and take called "government action". Which side of the fence do you fall on? Why, it's impossible for any self respecting libbie to want to keep more of what they "make", right? (Self respecting libbie.... sort of like jumbo shrimp?). If the law allows for using loopholes, why not? It's good business practice. BTW, this "tax the rich" garbage is funnier than all get out. Do you honestly, truly, and actually believe that these millionaires and billionaires aren't planning, or have ale\ready done so, to protect more of their income? If not, again, you fooling yourself. Hear what the COSTCO board of directors just did for themselves? The chairman, ou remember him, advocated raising taxes on the rich at the DNC in August. Gotta make them pay their fair share, right? Well, funny how the board voted themselves a nice stock dividend to be paid before the end of the year, so they can pay LESS taxes on it. 12% vs 8%. Who's the dummy? Or, more appropriately, who's the hypocrite? You see, libbies really don't want to pay in more than they should either. After all, it's all about the money, right?   

Now, to address the first point you raised. Yes, it's plain to see that you expose a typical libble mentality: if you don't agree, leave. Funny how Libbies like to declare themselves as being "tolerant". Sorry, Sparky, it doesn't work that way. I have a right to bear arms. It's that simple. Deal with it. Gun violence can be dealt with more effectively if there were stronger deterents in place, NOT excuses for the bad behavior that caused the violence (sorry, but I taking a page out of the libbie book of socially excused violence).

Character wise, libbies hate it when there's somwething they can't control. And better yet, what's going to happen when the money runs out and the music stops, when no one is left to suppoert the takers. Rome dies this way, too, by internal decay.  Not a comforting thought.

[/QUOTE]

Awesome and I second this post!!!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]

First I didnt post any links on here. Secondly, heroin, meth, etc. are illegal yet addicts have no problem getting them. Whitey Bulger, a lifetime felon, had 18 firearms in his apartment when apprehended in CA, a state tied with MA as having the strictest gun laws in the country . My quote about the Arab owned stores being the least robbed was actually on a National Geographic special about prison life. The remark was made by one of a group of hardcore felons, and the whole group nodded in acknowledement and a second convict replied that if they know they will face an armed owner, they will bypass the place for an easier target. Its like bank robbery - criminals go after an unarmed bank teller for a few hundred bucks as opposed to going after the armored car with its armed guards with many thousands of dollars, as they know they will not be facing a firearm. 

[/QUOTE]

Point taken on the link, my mistake.  It was another poster.

To the pont of your post:  So the source of your data on the armed Arab owned convenience stores is a bunch of convicted felons.  Got it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

These convicted felons said they did not want to face an armed store owner, but as a typical Liberal you know better than them. Speaking of reponses, where is your explanation of how Bulger the lifetime felon aquired 18 firearms in CA? Cant you just admit these liberal anti-gun laws DONT work?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]

These convicted felons said they did not want to face an armed store owner, but as a typical Liberal you know better than them. Speaking of reponses, where is your explanation of how Bulger the lifetime felon aquired 18 firearms in CA? Cant you just admit these liberal anti-gun laws DONT work?

[/QUOTE]

I'll respond to this by posting something that I posted at the bottom of page 5 of this thread.  Where did Whitey get this guns?  Probably Virginia or Texas or some other state with very lax gun laws.  And don't take my word for it.  My source is the FBI.  Please do be careful with labels and assumptions - you truly are on thin ice when you speak of things wherein you don't have a command of the facts.

From my final post on page 5:

I'd also like to take exception to the notion repeatedly expressed in this thread that if one is in favor of common sense firearms control legislation one must be a 'liberal' (whatever that means).  As I understand that term as used in this thread a 'liberal' has some fuzzy headed idealistic view of the world wherein if we all sat around the campfire holding hands, singing Kumbaya and passing around a doob all would be right with the world and no one would ever wish to harm anyone else.  If not, then that's certainly the impression I'm getting.  And, trust me, I'm nobody's liberal, particularly by that definition.  

Common sense firearms control legislation, by my definition, might, just might mind you, address the issue of anyone being able to load up a box truck with legally purchased firearms in Virginia and selling them in New York, for example.  

Oh, and I happen to be retired military, run my own contract security firm and have an ongoing partnership with four police departments.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Minor point I know, but this has been actually studied and there is quantifiable data available?  Perhaps you can point us to the link.  And just to be clear, if the source is the same link that you posted earlier to the Tea Party gun dealer you may wish to re-check your sources. 

[/QUOTE]

I don't normally post on threads like this, but, without taking sides ATJ is sensible to call for a factual link.

Recently, NYC arrested an alleged serial killer.  All 3 deaths were shopkeepers of Middle Eastern descent.

link: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/9694958/Alleged-serial-killer-arrested-in-New-York.html

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Whiteys last murder he personally commited was with a machine gun - Im sure Whitey just bought it in VA and TX too. Im sure as a man on the FBIs 10 most wanted list, he had no trouble buying his 18 firearms at a gunshop. If they were aquired outside of CA, how could he bring them into CA anyway as it is illegal to own these firearms there. You mean GASP that Whitey as a felon would knowingly break a law???. PLEASE - these ridiculous firearms restrictions laws are nothing more than typical Liberal "FEEL GOOD" laws. They make no sense, we have no clue how to enforce them , but we put them on the books because it makes everybody feel good! Like the hypocrite Rosie O'Donell wants to take away YOUR firearms, but its perfectly fine for HER bodyguard to own one!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

I am not going to read this entire thread but wanted to chime in that I loved what Costas said and agree that it should be much, much harder in this country to get a gun. I'm anti "gun-freak" and have never owned one and never will. I lived in New Orleans for many years in the "hood" and never owned one and never needed one. You have a much higher percentage chance of getting shot if you own a firearm. There should also be incredibly stiff penalties for illegally possessing a firearm as in long term prison time. Sadly, I have to admit that the average American is stupid as hell...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]

Whiteys last murder he personally commited was with a machine gun - Im sure Whitey just bought it in VA and TX too. Im sure as a man on the FBIs 10 most wanted list, he had no trouble buying his 18 firearms at a gunshop. If they were aquired outside of CA, how could he bring them into CA anyway as it is illegal to own these firearms there. You mean GASP that Whitey as a felon would knowingly break a law???. PLEASE - these ridiculous firearms restrictions laws are nothing more than typical Liberal "FEEL GOOD" laws. They make no sense, we have no clue how to enforce them , but we put them on the books because it makes everybody feel good! Like the hypocrite Rosie O'Donell wants to take away YOUR firearms, but its perfectly fine for HER bodyguard to own one!

[/QUOTE]

Sir, you are missing the point.  It wasn't Whitey who purchased the guns in VA or TX.  He purchased them from someone who bought them for him.  Please, instead of simply reacting emotionally to this issue why not be open to a differing point of view? 

And this notion that anyone wants to ban or take away any law abiding private citizen's firearm is a fallacy that is a creation of Wayne LaPierre and the NRA and is a bunch of pluperfect poppycock (not my preferred choice of words but it'll do).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Somebody bought the guns and gave them to Whitey??? That would mean the the firearms were aquired by him illegally??? But how can that happen with all the laws on the books??? Can I ask where you live? As a MA resident Im am a first hand witness to a state looking to take away all firearms. We have both an Executive Office of Public Safety approved handgun list, and an Attorney Generals approved handgun list. To be legally sold in this state a handgun has to be approved by both groups. They have made so many ridiculous requirements for a "safe" handgun that they have banned them by a backdoor method, making them illegal to sell or bring into the state as they dont meet the state mandated "safety" requirements. These laws were originally enacted to ban the so called "saturday night specials" but have gone completely out of hand. Browning firearms are regarded as very high quality firearms, yet not a single Browning made pistol is MA legal, as they dont meet MA requirements for sale. The state cannot,(as yet), outright ban them, but they can regulate them out of existence.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

Wow.  I wish some of the actual football threads went on this long.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]

Somebody bought the guns and gave them to Whitey??? That would mean the the firearms were aquired by him illegally??? But how can that happen with all the laws on the books??? Can I ask where you live? As a MA resident Im am a first hand witness to a state looking to take away all firearms. We have both an Executive Office of Public Safety approved handgun list, and an Attorney Generals approved handgun list. To be legally sold in this state a handgun has to be approved by both groups. They have made so many ridiculous requirements for a "safe" handgun that they have banned them by a backdoor method, making them illegal to sell or bring into the state as they dont meet the state mandated "safety" requirements. These laws were originally enacted to ban the so called "saturday night specials" but have gone completely out of hand. Browning firearms are regarded as very high quality firearms, yet not a single Browning made pistol is MA legal, as they dont meet MA requirements for sale. The state cannot,(as yet), outright ban them, but they can regulate them out of existence.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly - someone legally purchased the guns in states with LAX GUN LAWS - that's my whole point.  Was it the guy who sold them to Whitey?  Perhaps, perhaps not.  The whole point of practically every post I've entered on this thread has been exactly that those kinds of lax gun laws lead directly to criminals getting their hands on them.   Will it solve the problem all by itself?  Of course not but it's worth looking at sensibly and objectively. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

I'll just add that I think it's rather callous to say "it's a small price to pay for our liberty" or "it's nothing to wring hands about."  If it was your daughter who was murdered in front of you or mowed down in a movie theatre, I suspect you'd feel a bit differently. If the US could get its firearms death rate more in line with the firearm death rates of similarly advanced nations, there'd be about 15,000 or 20,000 fewer parents every year in the situation Ms. Perkins is in.  Is that trivial? I think not. 

[/QUOTE]

If you can come down of your high horse for a minute you might realize that it just apparently isn't sinking in to you that the situation in the USA is simply not the same as it is in Austria for example. Considering the profound difference between the structure of the legal system in the US and those countries you champion the difference is in fact trivial. The ability of the federal government to shove gun control down a states throat is questionable legally and not well supported in principle.

If Alaskans through their representatives want lax gun laws then I as a Bay Stater am going to honor that because I believe in states rights and do not possess the liberal agenda to homogenize the nation and expand federal oppression.

You can moan all you like about the freedom the several states are allowed to have in determining how the people there want to do things, but it won't change the fact that 1.7 more homicides per 100k is a trivial number when weighed against the right to self determination. Are Arizonans stupid to not have stricter gun laws? Maybe so. But I sure as hell defend their right to determine that rather than have it dictated to them by a guy from Toronto.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Why do you believe thats these guns were at ANYTIME purchased or aquired in any form of Legal manner? As a lifelong shooter I have seen many guns that are completely illegal, a .38  revolver with all serial numbers filed off - stolen from a cop. Just last year I was offered an fully automatic AK-47 that was a Gulf War bringback, and a relative has a select fire M-2 carbine fully loaded in his closet that his father brought back from the Korean war. Then nevermind the complete lack of control of military weapons that disappear - the Chatham MA Coast Guard station a few years back sent a pair of 18 year old clowns to the Boston station to recieve 12 new 9 mm pistols. They put the crate in the back of a wide open jeep and stopped for lunch in the North End, not hard to figure out what happened next. And a cousin in NH has a pair of .45 autos that his father built from parts he took home over his many years in the national guard amory. My point is criminals will always be able to aquire firearms no matter how strict the laws are......

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sir, you are missing the point.  It wasn't Whitey who purchased the guns in VA or TX.  He purchased them from someone who bought them for him.  Please, instead of simply reacting emotionally to this issue why not be open to a differing point of view? 

And this notion that anyone wants to ban or take away any law abiding private citizen's firearm is a fallacy that is a creation of Wayne LaPierre and the NRA and is a bunch of pluperfect poppycock (not my preferred choice of words but it'll do).

[/QUOTE]

And this notion that anyone wants to ban or take away any law abiding private citizen's firearm is a fallacy that is a creation of Wayne LaPierre and the NRA

Sort of like the libbies' faux "war on women", that they, apparently, bought into?

OK, I'll bite. Now, what was Costas bloviating over? The "culture" of guns? Who, with a TV remote, access to a 6 pack, and Domino's at the front door doesn't know these facts: 1) guns are legal in the USA  2) there are restirctions to purchase them, needing to pass a background check (this was pout in place to keep known "bad guys" from buying guns)  3) BAD PEOPLE use guns in violent crime. 

If Bobby Boy Wonder wanted to simply comment on the "culture" of violence, why didn't he mention all those nice, warm, fuzzy computer games, that are glorified and continually promoted on TV? Seems to me there is more voilence in those than in any 10 slasher movies. Sorry, but "fantasy" and "reality" shows no difference. Violence against people is violence, no matter how you slice or dice it (sorry, but NO reference to slasher films). The only difference between these games and real life is that real life doesn't come with a reset button.

Belcher acquired his handgun LEGALLY. He passed the required background check. We also have the obligatory "he was a good kid; nice to me and was quiet" interview responses. The "system" did not fail. It's obvious that he had some internal physological issues that surfaced after the fact. Either that or I can't wait to see the billion dollar suit filed against the Chiefs and the NFL for their "knowledge of and failure to properly treat/counsel" him. 

If this is a "fallacy" , why then are there @ 20,000 gun laws on the books across the country right now. Why make it 20,001? The onky way it makes any sense is if this last law is a FEDERAL law mandating stiff jail time (100% MUST be served), to go on top of the committed crime itself. Let the mental midgets commit a house break in, usually 2-5 yrs, but be caught with a gun. That'll indescretion will cost him 10 more years. It'll make him think twice about that TV, DVD, and stereo quipment, I'll guarandamntee it.  

Let's revisit this mythical War on Women. What war? Last I knew,m contraceptives were covered on 99.9999% of insurance plans. There is a co-pay involved, the amount varies from carrier to carrier. Thgere is no legislation pending anywhere that would restict or cut off govt funding for contraceptives.  Ah! but here's the rub.... apparently women like Fluke, going to school to make $25,000/year (the new "rich") need to have FREE contraceptives. After all, can't spend $3000 out of pocket for 4 years for it. Need to have to pay for those adult beverages, Happy Hours, frat parties, and Spring break vacations. Having been there, this stuff costs a whole lot more than this $3000 over 4 years. Anyone thinking she or her fellow students live pious lifestyles is absolutely crazy.  

Abortion? Go for it! Between that and gay marriage, in a few generations libbies will probably just about erradicate themselves out of existance. My rub is that I don't want MY tax dollars being spent on a glorified form of birth control. That horse left the barn when the irresponsible Horizontal Rumba was done. Sorry, if the guy doesn't bring his party hat to the event, the hostess NEEDS to be taking contraceptives. God knows that abstinence is NOT the answer, even though it's 1000% guaranteed. Why force something like "responsibility" on someone with no respect for themselves? Rape and incest are exceptions to this. Do whatever you need to do for the victim, as they never asked for the event to happen.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]

Why do you believe thats these guns were at ANYTIME purchased or aquired in any form of Legal manner? As a lifelong shooter I have seen many guns that are completely illegal, a .38  revolver with all serial numbers filed off - stolen from a cop. Just last year I was offered an fully automatic AK-47 that was a Gulf War bringback, and a relative has a select fire M-2 carbine fully loaded in his closet that his father brought back from the Korean war. Then nevermind the complete lack of control of military weapons that disappear - the Chatham MA Coast Guard station a few years back sent a pair of 18 year old clowns to the Boston station to recieve 12 new 9 mm pistols. They put the crate in the back of a wide open jeep and stopped for lunch in the North End, not hard to figure out what happened next. And a cousin in NH has a pair of .45 autos that his father built from parts he took home over his many years in the national guard amory. My point is criminals will always be able to aquire firearms no matter how strict the laws are......

[/QUOTE]

Alright, you asked.  As part of my continuing professional education I attended an 8 session course taught by the FBI.  One of the issues discussed at length was how criminals gained possession of firearms.  According to the FBI, not ATJ, the FBI, the largest single source of these firearms is through legal purchase in mass quantities in states with lax gun laws (Virginia, Texas, West Virginia, Arizona).  

Your point that 'criminals will always be able to acquire firearms' is a matter of speculation.  Where they are getting the firearms now is not.  The facts are what they are.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And this notion that anyone wants to ban or take away any law abiding private citizen's firearm is a fallacy that is a creation of Wayne LaPierre and the NRA

Sort of like the libbies' faux "war on women", that they, apparently, bought into?

OK, I'll bite. Now, what was Costas bloviating over? The "culture" of guns? Who, with a TV remote, access to a 6 pack, and Domino's at the front door doesn't know these facts: 1) guns are legal in the USA  2) there are restirctions to purchase them, needing to pass a background check (this was pout in place to keep known "bad guys" from buying guns)  3) BAD PEOPLE use guns in violent crime. 

If Bobby Boy Wonder wanted to simply comment on the "culture" of violence, why didn't he mention all those nice, warm, fuzzy computer games, that are glorified and continually promoted on TV? Seems to me there is more voilence in those than in any 10 slasher movies. Sorry, but "fantasy" and "reality" shows no difference. Violence against people is violence, no matter how you slice or dice it (sorry, but NO reference to slasher films). The only difference between these games and real life is that real life doesn't come with a reset button.

Belcher acquired his handgun LEGALLY. He passed the required background check. We also have the obligatory "he was a good kid; nice to me and was quiet" interview responses. The "system" did not fail. It's obvious that he had some internal physological issues that surfaced after the fact. Either that or I can't wait to see the billion dollar suit filed against the Chiefs and the NFL for their "knowledge of and failure to properly treat/counsel" him. 

If this is a "fallacy" , why then are there @ 20,000 gun laws on the books across the country right now. Why make it 20,001? The onky way it makes any sense is if this last law is a FEDERAL law mandating stiff jail time (100% MUST be served), to go on top of the committed crime itself. Let the mental midgets commit a house break in, usually 2-5 yrs, but be caught with a gun. That'll indescretion will cost him 10 more years. It'll make him think twice about that TV, DVD, and stereo quipment, I'll guarandamntee it.  

Let's revisit this mythical War on Women. What war? Last I knew,m contraceptives were covered on 99.9999% of insurance plans. There is a co-pay involved, the amount varies from carrier to carrier. Thgere is no legislation pending anywhere that would restict or cut off govt funding for contraceptives.  Ah! but here's the rub.... apparently women like Fluke, going to school to make $25,000/year (the new "rich") need to have FREE contraceptives. After all, can't spend $3000 out of pocket for 4 years for it. Need to have to pay for those adult beverages, Happy Hours, frat parties, and Spring break vacations. Having been there, this stuff costs a whole lot more than this $3000 over 4 years. Anyone thinking she or her fellow students live pious lifestyles is absolutely crazy.  

Abortion? Go for it! Between that and gay marriage, in a few generations libbies will probably just about erradicate themselves out of existance. My rub is that I don't want MY tax dollars being spent on a glorified form of birth control. That horse left the barn when the irresponsible Horizontal Rumba was done. Sorry, if the guy doesn't bring his party hat to the event, the hostess NEEDS to be taking contraceptives. God knows that abstinence is NOT the answer, even though it's 1000% guaranteed. Why force something like "responsibility" on someone with no respect for themselves? Rape and incest are exceptions to this. Do whatever you need to do for the victim, as they never asked for the event to happen.

[/QUOTE]

I'd just as soon stick to the firearms issue if it's all the same to you.  And I guess you simply won't accept the fact that a genuine conservative (which I am by the way) can be in favor of sensible firearms control legislation that will address issues such as what I have posted (ad nauseum in this thread) states with lax gun laws being the principal source (which they are) of firearms in the hands of criminals.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Is this the FBI under an Obama appointed director you are quoting? You know the same Obama whos Attorney General ran the Fast and Furious program? You might want to consider the source of your information....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]

Is this the FBI under an Obama appointed director you are quoting? You know the same Obama whos Attorney General ran the Fast and Furious program? You might want to consider the source of your information....

[/QUOTE]

And now you're posting just plain silliness.  If you honestly believe that then nothing anyone could post that doesn't conform with your view of the world will be acceptable to you.  And that's truly unfortunate.

For your information, the FBI agents teaching the course were veterans of 15 to 20 years service in the bureau and were providing information that spanned the entire decade from 2001 to 2010.