Could the answer to ILB already be on the roster?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pennasoxfan67. Show pennasoxfan67's posts

Could the answer to ILB already be on the roster?

Don't bite my head off, but with all the draft talk on the board, is it possible Tyrone McKenzie could be the answer?  Mayo is a beast, but Guyton didn't appear to have the ability to shed blockers and make plays last year.  We really didn't get to see what McKenzie was capable off before he suffered tore his ACL in camp, and he looked like a real prospect when he was drafted.  Any insight as to how his rehab has gone, and whether he can contend for that job?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: Could the answer to ILB already be on the roster?

I don't know McKenzie was projected to go in the 5th round or so; he's high cut, not very big and coming off a major injury. I've never seen him play, but I doubt this is going to be the thumper in the middle they need.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stompper. Show Stompper's posts

In Response to Could the answer to ILB already be on the roster?:
    Don't bite my head off, but with all the draft talk on the board, is it possible Tyrone McKenzie could be the answer?  Mayo is a beast, but Guyton didn't appear to have the ability to shed blockers and make plays last year.  We really didn't get to see what McKenzie was capable off before he suffered tore his ACL in camp, and he looked like a real prospect when he was drafted.  Any insight as to how his rehab has gone, and whether he can contend for that job?
    Posted by pennasoxfan67

I personally cant wait to see what Mckenzie can do, I read and heard good things about him until he got injured. Hopefully this kid will be a sleeper and supprise everyone in a good way. He has a bunch to prove

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

It's possible! McKenzie was a tackling machine in college. I wonder bad the knee injury really was? Maybe Crable makes it on the field at OLB. Sure wish I had a crystal ball!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

As I see it our team is currently full of 2nd tier and Practise Squad quality LB's, maybe with the exception of Mayo but he has a lot to prove next year.

The answers to our LB problems (Inside and Out) will come via trade and free agency.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-pats-fan. Show can-pats-fan's posts

I am in the huge minority that think Mayo is very overated.  He had a solid rookie campaign no question, but last year he couldn't tackle strong running backs.  For reference look at the 1st play from the line of scrimmage against Ray Rice, completely over powered.  The entire part of the season he played he missed tackles and couldn't shed a blocker if his left depended on it.  I personally like the kid but I'm missing something with this guy.  Bruschi, Johnson, Vrabel and the likes very seldom missed a tackle, and it shows.
    Lets hope Mackenzie makes a solid recovery to see what he has,

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

You never know who might come back into camp and surprise the Patriots staff with how much improvement they may have made. McKenzie is one of those guys who could fill a position as could Crable,Thomas Johnson and Bruce Davis any or all could become the studs they were in college.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

In Response to Could the answer to ILB already be on the roster?:
    Don't bite my head off, but with all the draft talk on the board, is it possible Tyrone McKenzie could be the answer? Posted by pennasoxfan67

Yes, he is also a BEAST

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In the past we always had a playmaking linebacker (Bruschi) and a run stuffer (Ted Johnson or Vrabel when he was inside) but this past season we had two undersized playmaker types.  I see Guyton being replaced by somebody and used in more of a cover role with Mayo the play calling guy in the middle. 

McKenzie is slightly undersized to be the rock in the middle but if he plays bigger than himself (ala Ray Lewis, Mayo) than two solid inside guys will suffice.  The bigger problem we had with the run game came because we traded Seymour and we were short defensive tackle/ends.  We primarily ran a 2/4/5 this season which left us light up front.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

If there is a "good thing" about McKenzie's injury it's that it occurred early enough that he'll be 100% by camp. Same for Tate. Like an article here a couple of days ago, factor in these 2 and we have the draft picks Plus 2 this year. I'm excited about both of them. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

Negatives: Could be considered a bit of an inside-outside "tweener" by NFL teams. ... Not especially fluid dropping into coverage. ... Comes out of the game in nickel situations and probably will do so in the NFL. ... Not quick enough to corral slot receivers in zones. ... Doesn't have the great strength or bulk to fight his way through trash inside.

He is a two down LB.

I gues that is fine if Guyton is playing on third and fourth

not ideal though

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwhite1220. Show dwhite1220's posts

Put Thomas back in the middle?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bchan89. Show bchan89's posts

McKenzie played on 3 different teams in 3 different confrences and lead each team in tackles... he also worked nights at a hotel as a night clerk to provide for his family. I belive his mom was/is sick.  This guy seems like a super human being sacrificing himself to better of his family.  Hope he comes back at 100%.  It use to be a staple of the Patriots to have high caracter guys who value family, football and god. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjaycee. Show jjaycee's posts

BB RECORD OF SELECTING ALL AROUND CAPABLE NFL LB'S, IN THE DRAFT SPEAKS FOR ITSELF- AWFUL---  EXCEPTIONS, MAYO---PERIOD

ALSO, TO START WITH, HE IS (SELF HANDICAPPED) WITH THE AVERSION TO
    SELECTING HIGHLY PUBLICIZED PLAYERS. THIS  MOTIVATED BY THE OTHER AVERSION,  OF PAYING THE BIG BUCKS DEMANDED BY THESE PLAYERS, THAT
    DOES NOT FALL IN LINE WITH THE TEAM'S VERY LOW(NFL) ANNUAL PAYROLL.  CHEAP, CHEAP, AS IS KRAFT BY NATURE.  AS FAR AS WHETHER THE ANSWER TO
    THE ABOVE QUESTION, IS ALREADY ON THE ROSTER. NO, IF THE PAST IS ANY
    INDICATIONS.

AND TAKING HIS DRAFTING REPUTATION FURTHER, IT IS NO BETTER IN DRAFTING
    DB'S AS WELL.