Could the Patriots trade Thomas?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

Could the Patriots trade Thomas?

Is a trade possible after the very public dissention and the obvious lack of effort on the playing field. Could Belichick convince another team there is some worth left in AD. Would any team be willing to give up a pick for him . can't see them cutting him , and giving the Jets the chance to pick him up, even tho it will cost them 5mil

Wonder when we'll get some info on this issue.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: Could the Patriots trade Thomas?

I don't see what all the fear is with NY picking him up.

We're talking about a player that couldn't succeed under a coach known for getting good production out of his LB's.

Below is a list off the top of my head:

LT
    Carl Banks
    Pepper Johnson
    Harry Carson
    Mike Vrabel
    Willie McGinest
    Ted Johnson
    Tedy Bruschi
    Jerod Mayo (as a rookie)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

May happen during draft weekend - possibly.  tough to say...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

In Response to Re: Could the Patriots trade Thomas?:
    I don't see what all the fear is with NY picking him up. We're talking about a player that couldn't succeed under a coach known for getting good production out of his LB's. Below is a list off the top of my head: LT Carl Banks Pepper Johnson Harry Carson Mike Vrabel Willie McGinest Ted Johnson Tedy Bruschi Jerod Mayo (as a rookie)
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

Didn't he excel under Ryan in Baltimore?--and isn't that why Belichick wanted him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: Could the Patriots trade Thomas? : Didn't he excel under Ryan in Baltimore?--and isn't that why Belichick wanted him.
    Posted by NEGAME

He had some good years under Ryan, yes.  I think BB wanted him because of his athleticism and versatility and it hasn't exactly worked out.

There's also been some discussion about whether or not his production had more to do with the players around him in Baltimore.

I can only speak for myself, and personally I could care less if he's reunited with Ryan in NYC.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bradleyBliss. Show bradleyBliss's posts

In Response to Re: Could the Patriots trade Thomas? : Didn't he excel under Ryan in Baltimore?--and isn't that why Belichick wanted him.
    Posted by NEGAME

Hey GAMER!!! Adalius excelled with the Ravens because of the strong players around him like Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, et. al. Here we needed him to the be stronger contributor and he never lived up to expectations and then his attitude turned sour....well you know the rest.  Can't wait for spring...any chance of a "GAMER in Riding Chaps" siting????

Sure would brighten up my spring!!!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

If they cut him it'll be after the draft when their LB depth chart is improved(hopefully).  Why let go of a talented, albeit unreliable, veteran like AD when you're under no pressure to. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Anarchy99. Show Anarchy99's posts

With no salary cap, there is no incentive for the Pats to release him any time soon.  They will likely hold on to him until they see how their roster fills out and release him late when other teams have already stocked their LB corps.  This way, Thomas will have to get signed pretty late in the game and would have to play catch up in terms of learning a new system and getting used to playing with a new team.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

The only problem with trading him is finding a team that is willing to pick up a large number in salary for a guy that has underachieved. Another thing that is working against us is that everyone knows about the rift between Thomas and BB so they all fully expect us to cut him. It's possible that if we hold on to him for long enough that somebody interested might offer us a late round pick but don't be surprised if they still want us to pick up some of his salary.

On March 3, 2007, Thomas signed a 5-year contract with the New England Patriots worth $35 million, including $20 million in guaranteed money.

What a waste!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptFoxboro. Show CaptFoxboro's posts

The only way AD can be traded is for another team's player , NOt a draft pick .

REASON : He is rediculously overpaid now and no team in their right mind will take on the remainder of his contract
    (and yah ... I'm sure they sent feelers out to the Raiders , and found out that not even Al is that crazy )

That said , if there is a trading partner out there that also has an overpaid player that they don't want to keep cutting checks to and is a better fit for us than the disgruntled AD ...then maybe we get something for him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

I say you surround him with better LB's and free him to freelance a little more.  He appears to be the complementary player, not a true difference maker.  Pick up 2 new LB's to pair with him and mayo, or pick up a new LB and a new DE and we will start to see adalius start to come out of his shell I bet.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from haldager. Show haldager's posts

send him plus a 4th rd pick to Oakland, and lets have Morrisson in return.
    Send Maroney to SD, and lets have Merriman in return

1 rd pick: OLB
    2 rd pick: DE
    2 rd pick: RB
    2 rd pick: WR

Bodden and Butler will be strong at CB, Vollmer will play RT instead of Kaczur, Safeties are ok. And go get Derrick Mason as 3rd WR. Get A- Crumbler as  blocking TE and Olsen as receiving TE.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

I say you surround him with better LB's and free him to freelance a little more.  He appears to be the complementary player, not a true difference maker.  Pick up 2 new LB's to pair with him and mayo, or pick up a new LB and a new DE and we will start to see adalius start to come out of his shell I bet.
    Posted by adam4522

OK knowing what we know about BB would he sit down with AD and have an "airing out meeting"?  An off the record you tell me--i'll tell you! could they get their differences straighten out. He certainly has talent, but is it being used properly, has it ever been used to AD 's talent. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Posted by adam4522

The problem is that Thomas didn't know what he was getting into.  He thought he was going to be the rushing OLB like he was in Baltimore.  He was going to continue to being a sack king.  He comes to NE and Vrabel has the spot.  They wanted to let him be the LB in coverage because of his speed. 

I have always thought that the Pats were not using him right.  My thinking on the matter is that he waited patiently for his turn and it came up last year and he was still the other OLB.  That's when things got tense because the pass rush wasn't there and Thomas was a solution.  If I ever had a bone to pick with Belichick it would be on his positioning of Thomas.  Although Belichick has given me reason to wince every once in a while I have always understood it.  The Thomas affair I do not understand.