Couple Rule changes I would love the NFL to enact

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Couple Rule changes I would love the NFL to enact

First I would love it if the NFL allowed teams to trade compensatory picks. I understand how they are supose to help make up for losing Free Agents but they are by and far a waste on good teams as those picks rarely have a legit chance to make a team. Take the Patriots this year for example if they had the compensatory picks to trade they could have packaged them with second rounders to move up or for a 3rd rounder or for 2011 picks all kinds of things you could have done with them and if the NFL wants the draft to be entertaining why not increase the chances for these teams to trade picks?

Second rule change I would love to see happen is give the teams some protection on their practice squad players. If another team "steals" their Practice Squad player that team should have to give the pick that that player was selected with to the team they are taking the player from or if an Undrafted Free Agent either a 7th round pick or monatary considerations. I think these two changes should be in the new CBA.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CapnFoxboro. Show CapnFoxboro's posts

Re: Couple Rule changes I would love the NFL to enact

DaBlade ,
    I like the fact that you are thinkin out-of-the-box but I voted for Neither .

1)NO to Comp picks being able to be traded.

a) Its a tool put in place to try and insure PARITY . Dumb GM moves are partly the reason teams digress ( see Panthers trading us a 2011 2nd rounder for late 2010 3rd )...so allowing the bad teams more trade options may be regrettable ( at least as far as Parity is concerned )

b) Comp picks are awarded by the NFL behind closed doors - and thus there is the potential for "politicizing" the picks . Considering its pretty apparent that the league doesn't go out of its way to do us any favors ...we would probably be even more screwed if they thought BB would just turn around and benefit even more by parlaying them .

2)NO TO PRACTICE SQUAD PROTECTION .

The reason it's allowable to sign practice squaders ( even ones that were drafted ) is because it's a PROMOTION ( Players must immediately be placed on new teams active roster and cannot be taken off )
     Doesnt seem fair to hoard a player and keep him out of the NFL .
    ( Kinda like when a team's Asst Coach is allowed to interview for Head Coaching job )
      I understand this rule would benefit the Pats ...but doesnt seem to be overall fair to those most concerned.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Well heck why neither?... if your going to choose neither at least give a reason why.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

The NFLPA would rightfully never allow such a rule for the practice squad players.

These are guys who aren't under contract who are being offered a contract to play for an NFL team. There is  certain amount of money they get paid to be on the practice squad, but of course it is no where near the amount they can make on a contract. Inhibiting them from being picked up in any way would not be good for the union. The owners likely wouldn't want to see it, either. They wouldn't want to have to pay for such a pick up. And, I would bet the NFL is against it because it would needlessly inhibit the flow of talent.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Trading compensatories. That would have been another 3 or 4 trades easy for Belichick this past draft. That wouldn't bother me but I think the practice squad Idea is a killer for the players that would get stuck there. If they can cut it on another teams roster They probably deserve a shot. I'm usually on the side of management on those things too.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

They would have to increase protections and guarantees for practice squad players in order to get exclusivity.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Well I kind of see the reason for the practice squad thing.  If you worked your butt off to make a team only to find out that you were put on the practice squad would you be happy?  Maybe to be paid to play football, but then if another NFL team wants you on their 53 man roster then you would say to the team that put you on the practice squad "hey, if you want me that bad, put me on the roster.  If not, I heading to another team to play football on Sundays." 

But I guess the heart of the question is really should teams be allowed to have more than 53 on the roster?  Then those players would get the benefit of being on an NFL team with all the money and teams wouldn't have to stick promising guys on the practice squad to develop.  So on second thought, that may be a good idea. 
    Being able to put a handful of guys on your team to essentially be redshirt guys would help alot.  Right now, there really isn't any room for guys who cannot be contributers on game day or at least backups.  I wouldn't mind tucking some of our late rounders in a redshirt status, but they may end up on the practice squad.  I think teams also attempt to circumnavigate this problem by putting a guy on IR so he can't be picked up and doesn't count against the 53 man roster.  See Crable as example

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

My problem is this and you all have seen it happen. The Patriots and other teams who have been flush with tallent at times have had their Practice Squad's raided. Why should a team like the Patriots be penalised for drafting well and signing UDFA's better then the team that hasn't. I still say the team that has the foresight to bring these players in on a PS that could be on the 53 man roster and I have even seen some taken go to starting rolls deserve to be compensated for losing that player.

The NFLPA would rightfully never allow such a rule for the practice squad players. I disagree. I am not saying the player on the PS would be kept from geting a contract I am just saying that the team that "owns" the PS player should have a first right of matching and if not they should at the least get some sort of compensation.  As for the owners likely not wanting to see it, either I disagree... they also must get pretty tired (the good ones at least) of being pilfered by teams without the player depth the good teams have. The PS players do get paid and on top of that they get to practice with the team honing their craft. That is an investment the team is making in that player.  And, I would bet the NFL would not be against it because it would protect the ownerships investment in home grown tallent.

They are doing a new CBA and this could be worked out I am sure it could be more like a red shirt year. 

I don't know just some thoughts I have had off and on for a while. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

i think if the kicker can call the post and hit it it should be worth 10 points! (crazy huh)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

With all the injuries in football, I might expand the 53 man roster a bit (maybe to 55 or 56), but the practice squad system has two big advantages:
    • Essentially, it creates a pool of 320 players that any team can draw on to fill a hole in its roster.
    • It allows the guys at the bottom of a roster a chance to play for a team that needs them rather than never getting on the field for their current team
    The disadvantage is that you bring in guys and teach them your system, but you have no guarantee you'll be able to keep them. Still, I think the current system is probably good because other teams aren't going to raid your practice squad unless they have a real need--and if you end up with a real need, you have every practice squad player around the league to choose from.  

One other thought: the NFL really doesn't want a few teams to stockpile a lot of good players while other teams have weaker talent.  If you have a practice squad filled with better players than another team has on its regular roster, the NFL really wants that other team to get your good practice squad players and play them. This improves competition and ensures that the largest number of good players get on the field for one team or another.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

On a related note, I can see what's coming this year.  The Jets had four draft picks to New England's 12.  Unless I'm mistaken, New England does not have 12 open roster spots.  So the question is which of the Pats' draft picks will end up on the Jets roster?