Cowardly Colts' Organization Shows Its' True Colors

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Micksoxx. Show Micksoxx's posts

Re: Cowardly Colts' Organization Shows Its' True Colors

Can someone tell me why as Patriots fan we should care what the Colts do again?  More directly, could some of you STFU.  To characterize resting players as "coawardly" is just repeating back knee-jerk sports talk radio sensationalism.  Newsflash idiots, sports in general isn't ever important enough to warrant a "cowardly" label.  Worry about the Pats if you must and get a life if you will.

P.S. So if the Colts beat the Pats in the playoffs are they still going to be a cowardly organization?

P.P.S Don't complain about "Spygate" being sensationalized two years ago if you are going to do the same on this matter.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pymus1. Show pymus1's posts

Ill quote Mike Ditka from Monday again for those who seem to be loosing their way with this story. - "When you are faced with a special opportunity to make history in this league you have an obligation to the fans and your team to go for it. The Colts had that opportunity and they chose to throw it away". end quote.

History will always look to the Patriots as doing the right thing for the game and the Colts as missing an opportunity for selfish reasons. Mark my words - next year there will be rules in place to play starters in every game as front offices such as the Colts have can not be trusted to do the right thing for fans or players.

Do all of you forget that Goodell was forced to air the final 2007 Patriots game to all viewers nationally because the game was so huge? The NFL itself looses ratings and equity because of the choice by the Colts owner and front office. They have fallen out of favor with league I'm sure. Hope the refs will now call a fair game in the play-offs. Itl be fun to see Manning and the Colts boo hoo-ing as they now will be called for molesting receivers on the opposing team while no flags gets thrown if the pass defense farts in the direction of Reggie Wayne or Dallas Clark. No more flags on the one yard line for dropped passes from 60 yards out Payton - Better get a new strategy!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

A little off topic, but given that the Jets improbable playoff chances were given a big boost by wimpgate, and a matchup with the Pats in the first round is not unlikely, shouldn't Leon be coming around these parts soon?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarcW1. Show MarcW1's posts

From what I know about the Colts...  It seems that they're pretty thin due to injuries and players on IR.  A team can only go "next man up" so often before they run out of talent.  Unless were in the locker room and working with the teams medical personel, we have no idea how bang'd up these players are playing.  If the Colts want to make a legitimate SB run, they cannot afford to lose any of their cornerstone players.  Much like BB's 4th and 2 decision, we'll never know if it was the right thing to do.  If the Colts get healthy and play well, then Polian is right.  If they don't make it to the SB, then he's wrong.

As a former college athlete, I know how long it can take to rehab injuries and aches/pains.  I wouldn't call the Colts organization cowards.  I think they're playing with fear.      

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"If the Colts get healthy and play well, then Polian is right.  If they don't make it to the SB, then he's wrong."  

Way too simplistic. The Colts could have easily played Peyton a couple of additional sets and seen if they could move the score up to a more comfortable margin. Resting him at 23-10 would have not caused the same outcry. It wasn't a matter of resting starters or not, it was a matter of the timing and how it was handled. Could have been handled better. Remember that Peyton has played very late into games that were a bit out of hand this year. Whether the Colts make it to the Super Bowl or not doesn't change that this situation could have been handled a lot better. If you don't believe me, go spend some time in a Colts football forum and hear what the fans have to say. I think you're also overlooking that going 19-0 would have been a special achievement that is well worth fighting for, even risking injury for, but that's another argument entirely. Finally, I'll simply point out the one year the Colts got no rest was the one year that they actually won the Super Bowl.

" I wouldn't call the Colts organization cowards.  I think they're playing with fear."

From the dictionary definition of coward: 

lacking courage; very fearful or timid.
    3. proceeding from or expressive of fear or timidity

Notice that the definitions both include the word "fear" as you pointed out. I'm not sure if I'm willing to call the Colts cowards in general, that seems way too much, but it was surely a gutless move and those who played a part in that decision were, in my opinion, gutless in that moment. I've had gutless moments in my life, most of us have. Doesn't make us cowards if we try to do better. Let's see what the Colts do from here.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Benkarkis. Show Benkarkis's posts

Let's go back to 2005

Brilliant to lose to Miami.

The Patriots should have beaten Denver, stupid penalties and turnvovers.  Referees screwed them.  Samuel phantom pass interference call, etc.

IF they beat the Broncos, then the Patriots get the home field advantage against the Steelers.

Nobody wanted to play the Steelers in the first 2 rounds that year.

BB was brilliant in losing to Miami. Brilliant.  It almost worked.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Benkarkis. Show Benkarkis's posts

Just like it was incredibly dumb to lose to the Jets.

Manning was crying because he wanted to win.  He wanted to play. Like Clark, Saturday, and Wayne,  they are  players.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Benkarkis. Show Benkarkis's posts

I do think BB tanked the Dolphins game to a certain degree.  Not as bad as the Colts tanked the Jets game or not quite as obvious.  I did watch  the entire 2005 game.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Benarkis, the Steelers and a few other teams were playing for thier spot in the playoffs at the same time.  The fear of the Steelers is something new to me.  I recall that the Steelers had a rookie QB and nobody thought they would go far.  The Colts were the favorite that year.  I don't think any team has ever tanked (Including Colts) to face or not face an opponnent in the playoffs.  You have to beat every team.  If the Pats thought the Steelers were the best team than they would have figured on seeing them in the AFC championship.  They pulled most of thier starters after the first because they didn't care whether they got the 3rd or 4th seed.  But there is proof that they tried to win the game and they almost did.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Yet more on wimpgate, as Colts' fans deluge Bill Polian's talk show with complaints...and the Indy Star with terse, angry comments: http://www.indystar.com/article/20091230/SPORTS03/912300360/1058/SPORTS03/Fuming-fans-take-questions-to-Polian-on-radio-show

Here are some amusing examples:

1.) Space the final frontier.........These are the voyages of the Indianapolis Colts management...........It's continuing mission to seek out new ways of losing and to explore strange new ways to desecrate the game. To boldly do what no NFL team has done before....................Throw perfection away.
    12/30/2009 12:21:25 PM;

2.) I have never liked Polian's attitude and demeanor, and his latest appearance on 1070 just solidified my opinion. He handled the fans like he has handled every other situation with the Colts - I am right and you are wrong, end of discussion. No sincere discussion, no genuine consideration of why the fans are upset. What a jerk.
    12/30/2009 12:15:33 PM;

3.) ...Just incredible how those pain pills can affect your judgment. Jimmy (Irsay) has always had a hard time with the truth...for while Jimmy and Bill (Polian) had us believing that they cared about Indy...they lied. How can Polian go to sleep at night knowing that 250,000 people hate him? I understand how Jimmy can...just take another pill. Well, the Colts took a big pill Sunday...60mg. of I-QUIT.

12/30/09 1:13:35;

4.) Congratulations to the Colts for doing something eternally memorable: Being the only team in the history of sports to quit on a perfect season. You've made your mark.
    12/30/2009 1:04:28 PM;

5.) Bill (Polian) basically said "Thanks for the new stadium, now go F yourselves people of Indianapolis." We will lose in the play-offs, if for no other reason than the bad karma this has created. When that happens, this thunderstorm will seem like rain shower.
    12/30/2009 12:10:50 PM; 

6.) Remember what Robert Irsay said at his first news conference in Indy? "This is not your team, this is not our team, this is MY team." Mayor Hudnut awkwardly smiles and claps in the background.
    12/30/2009 11:58:23 AM;

7.) The 2009 Colts will live in infamy. This will be the most unforgettable moment in sports history
    12/30/2009 11:50:46 AM;

8.) If Caldwell and Polian don't mind being unpopular, then try this game plan: If the Colts win the coin toss, elect to receive. Then, they can have  their return man catch the kick off, and hand it off to any member of the Bills' special teams. Then, move aside, and let the guy walk in for a touchdown!! Repeat this sequence about 40 times, and the Bills will go down in history as the team with the most lopsided win, 280-0. But this way, neither the Colts' defense or offense will have to take the field, and risk injury.
    12/30/2009 11:42:45 AM;

9.) Polian is a classless individual...The Colts have an outstanding quarterback, but obviously lack character at the top. What a disgraceful decision! A disgusting decision! A mockery of Colts fans. Do the owners of the Colts and Jets having close connections?
    12/30/2009 11:33:40 AM;

10.) Polian says that 16-0 is "inconsequential" but then he wanted the NFL records for consecutive regular-season victories and victories in a decade. What a stupid comment! To go after records no-one knows in place of a perfect record everyone would know. What an idiot!
    12/30/2009 11:36:27 AM;

11.) ...
    Polian dissed the city, the team, and fans everywhere. He should be loudly booed every time he shows his face in public!!
    12/30/09 11:14:21 AM;

12.) Is Polian serious? He cared enough to risk his stars when it came to breaking the two "who cares" records of most consecutive regular season wins and most wins for the decade, but thought the perfect season was meaningless? I might be MORE pissed after reading that quote than I was before!!! If Peyton had been hurt striving for immortality, Colts fans would understand. If he got hurt trying to get the most wins in the decade, we'd all think the team had gone NUTS!!! Can anyone name who had the most wins from any other decade? Who Cares!!! Can anyone remember who won the Super Bowl in 1971 or 1973? Is there any football fan in the world who doesn't know who won in 1972?

What the Colts did was inexcusable. They are now in a no win situation, with MORE pressure to perform than if they had stayed undefeated. Even if they win, they will forever have to deal with the ghosts of "what were we thinking by quitting on ourselves and our fans, we had immortality in our grasp".
    12/30/2009 11:01:18 AM.

LOL!!! 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

This thread keeps rolling on....kinda like a truck in the middle of the night. The Baltanapolis Geldings are use to this...no?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I'm gonna say this again . . .

In three weeks, every single one of those deuschebags will have forgotten all about Polian and all this brouhaha, and will be in the stands or in front of their TVs bellowing like morons every time Johnny Zebra leads the Colts down the field.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

No doubt pmike - colts fans sound like this message board the day after a pats loss.  And yet all those pats fans are back here the following week saying something completely different. 

Maybe "fans" (from fanatic) should be changed to "fics" from fickle.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

At least you would think Irsay would have some sense of history since he came to Indianapolis on a Mayflower.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

hey, caraway.. yeah...it is a fun string... especially the tete-a-tete between dogg and TP.  Starting to see regurgitation of the same points now.... either way...  the Colts organization chickened out.  They didn't go down fighting!!  Don't lose your last game until you actually "lose" it, not give it away!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Heres' Tedy Bruschi's take on the Colts passing on a run at perfection: http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/columns/story?columnist=bruschi_tedy&id=4775238

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

A Colts fan comments:

It is not about the Super Bowl, a perfect season, which players get to play or rest, or management prerogative.

It is about a professional competition with paying customers. Members of both teams have a contractual responsibility to every customer to play to win. The ticket was purchased to see a game – an honest and earnest competition in which both teams do whatever it takes to win. Customers did not pay to see a practice or an exhibition or to observe an opportunity for 2nd and 3rd string players to gain experience.

In every professional sport, it is always about playing to win in every competition. It is not about the win/loss record to date or what might happen in the next game or what might happen in the playoffs. It is about winning the competition in which you are currently engaged. Losing is never an option.

In my opinion, not playing to win is to perpetuate a fraud upon paying customers who had a more than reasonable expectation to see a true full-out competition.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

Good posts.

What more can be written?

Oh yeah! GO PATRIOTS!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

A beautiful post, and an even more beautiful picture, Gamer.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

Yapple - That was good.

Dogg
    While Polian's reasonings for not going for it were versed well in advance, he shouldn't have had those reasonings.  Not going for it was an organizational decision.  What about a team decision?  Who cares about most wins in a decade?  That is an organizational goal which the players could care less about.  Most of them weren't on the team 10 years ago and played only a small part in the record.  Or longest regular season streak?  How long did it take the Colts to break the Pats record?  2 years? Who cares?  17-0 is going on 40 YEARS and still no one has broken it.  Polian needs a clue.  A team goal should have been 19-0.  Who cares about a SB ring if you can be a member of a team that accomplished 19-0?  19-0 is better than a SB ring because it includes a ring by definition. 
    I also don't agree with your reasonings about the rest only counts for the first game.  A week off to rest up from accumulated weariness can help with more than just one game.  But an adrenaline rush from going for 19-0 would compensate.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Yet more on "wimpgate", as Colts' owner Jim Irsay now takes a wack at subduing the ire of the Indy fan base. From what I've read, Irsay is making as much sense as Polian: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/30/irsay-defends-decision-to-pull-starters/

LOL!!   

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

TP, the Colts organization will never be able to escape the fact they stared history straight in the face and "blinked"!  The Colts will go down as the greatest franchise ever to be so good in the "regular" season to only give it up time and time again when it REALLY counts!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Judging from responses such as these, Irsay is having about as much success as Polian in placating the fan base:

1.) Irregardless of all the good he has done, Bill Buckner Polian will always be remembered first and foremost as the guy who ran from the chance at perfection, ESPECIALLY if the Colts win the SB. Manning has missed one play in his career from injury!!! Risk reward dipship.
    12/31/2009 10:15:52 AM;

2.) The Indianapolis Vaginas, formerly known as the Indianapolis Colts... careful: do not bump into Peyton, for you might bruise him. Notice how they took him out with only a few minutes to play? He lives in such a fragile glass structure.
    12/31/2009 10:04:46 AM;

3.) Cut Irsay some slack. It only took him 3 days to sober up to find out what happened and make a statement. What a joke.
    12/31/2009 9:56:37 AM;

4.) Irsay, Polian and Caldwell are quitting cowards. The integrity of the NFL now ranks with the NBA and TIm Donaughy! I hope the Jets take us out in the playoffs. That would be sweet justice for this cowardly, boneheaded decision.
    12/31/2009 9:34:57 AM;

5.) What a joke throwing the game. Although this coach has done some incredible things in the past THIS is the most incredibly stupid thing I've ever seen him do! The argument of throwing the game because we've clinched the division and homefield doesn't stand with me...He owes every Colts fan an apology! In my opinion, Superbowl win or not, the Jets game will still leave a SOUR taste in my mouth...
    12/31/2009 8:59:17 AM;

6.) Irsay would have liked to have seen 19-0?...Then grow a pair and go for it....He, Polian, and Caldwell are cowards. Pure and simple.
    12/31/2009 7:42:46 AM;

7.) Hey Irsey, I shipped all my Colts stuff back to you this week!!! Everything. You keep it or burn it, I don't care!! You quit on us! I was a dedicated season ticket holder through the 3-13 seasons, the Faulk trade, the Mora meltdown, and through season after season of 1 and done in the playoffs!! In all that I never once considered changing my loyalties, but after Sunday, until the mentality of the senior staff changes, I won't spend another dine on football! You gave away what wasn't yours to give. You may own this team, but Indy, the people, and the City have just as much invested as you do.

This wasn’t just your record, it was theirs too. This decision will go down as one of the biggest blunders of all time. Any third grader who watches football can see that, how an owner, a GM and a coach didn't, is baffling! Your argument that there’s something bigger to play for is just wrong! There’s nothing bigger in football than a perfect season! Just ask anyone NOT affiliated with the Colts.
    12/31/2009 4:49:38 AM  

LOL!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

The Cold, Hard Football Facts rated the performances of QBs in last weeks' games. Here is what they had to say about the Indianapolis Colts, and their back-up QB, Curtis Painter:

Curtis Painter, Colts – Painter and his dismal performance in the second half against the Jets are the symbols of how totally, utterly and completely wrong the Colts got it by benching their starters and giving up both on the game and a chance at immortality. In addition to pissing all over their fans, the rest of the league (particularly those teams fighting for a playoff berth) and the integrity of the game, they pissed all over the rookie from Purdue.

A player who had never taken a snap in the NFL was thrown to the wolves of the league’s No. 1 pass defense and performed much like you would have expected. Painter went 4 of 11 for 44 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT, an 11.2 passer rating and lost a fumble that was returned for what proved to be the deciding score.

Let's hope he's not scarred for life. But it'd hardly be the biggest crime the Colts committed Sunday, when they voluntarily threw away the perfect opportunity of a lifetime. http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_3061_QB_throwdown%3A_the_quest_for_perfection.html 

LOL!!