Crable - Missing Piece or MIA?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Crable - Missing Piece or MIA?

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view/20100326shawn_crable_may_be_patriots_missing_piece/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

Re: Crable - Missing Piece or MIA?

Let's see if can make through a mini-camp, then training camp, and then the pre-season... he's gotta show that he's not made of glass.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Re: Crable - Missing Piece or MIA?:
    Let's see if can make through a mini-camp, then training camp, and then the pre-season... he's gotta show that he's not made of glass.
    Posted by harleyroadking103

Am hoping that he doesn't end up being another O'Connell or Jackson

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

He's shown some talent so I don't think he'll be a bust he just has to avoid another injury. He'll bust do to an injury not by lack of desire or talent.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Barring another injury this kid will at least contribute via special teams.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Barring another injury this kid will at least contribute via special teams.
    Posted by zbellino

Special teams is fine, but we need his help for our pass rush.

Can he punt? :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

This is going to be a make it or break it year for him, but since he's never played 1 nfl game I can't call him the missing piece though hopefully he won't be MIA

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBRULES23. Show BBRULES23's posts

Not sure where fans are getting the idea that Crable will be something special.  He hasn't played a regular season snap in two seasons, and is injury prone.  My concern is why haven't the Pats been able to draft a player to fill the role Crable was intended to.  Fans should stop talking about "what could be" and face "What is".

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

I really doubt that injuries held him back as much as the article indicates. What were his season ending injuries? Torn acl? No, it was a shin injury. How long does it take to recover from a shin injury? 5 months? 

The Pats had Edelman play with a cast on after breaking his broken arm. They didn't IR him. What does it tell you when they IR'd Crable early in the year because of a shin injury? I just think he's a 4A player who wasn't good enough to contribute, so they IR'd him in the hopes he'll be better a year after. 

All last offseason people were pumping up a LB corps that had Crable as a starter. I think it'd be a mistake to do it again. Also, he seemed to say "this year I'll go all out" in the article. You weren't going all out last year? Maybe it was an attitude thing too that led to the IR. Either way I'm not hopeful. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Special teams? Crable is a Willie-Mac clone. Will he be as clutch as McGinest- Hell no! But he'll get to some QBs. 

I don't think people know just how good Crable can be. He's 6'5, 243 pounds, and he runs a 40 in 4.64. The guy is a DLman with LB speed. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Wow did I really just say breaking his broken arm? Apologies...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjaycee. Show jjaycee's posts

It is a disgrace that BB ( in we trust ??? ), has made no effort , after 2 years, to explain Crable's injuries, why they have disabled him this long, and the player's  future with the team.  There is no excuse for this. This way beyond his secretive policy on speaking to player injuries. I am amayzed that more fans have not expressed outrage about this. As well as the Globe sports writers. Are you all just a bunch of whimps??

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Don't expect too much from this guy, he's been out of football for two years.  I am glad they waited those two years based on his upside.  This is the year though, if he gets hurt he's probably gone. 

If he's healthy he still has been out of football for a long time, he has ways to go.  IMO he's further behind than guys who are been drafted this year, those guys have been playing and competing. 

I hope him the best of luck, it will be a difficult few months but he sounds like is looking forward to playing football, finally.  I hope the wait is worth while, if he gives us a few years of solid play we'll all forget his first two years.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Injuries happen. Is Brady now injury prone? Let's hope we get to see him play.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Digger - Brady had a torn ACL that kept him off the field, other then that name 1 injury (cause he's actually had a ton including broken bones) that has kept him off the field? Crable has yet to even sniff the field during preseason, I would call Crable infinitely more seriously injury prone then Brady anyday. Now if you compare him to say Neal then you'd have a good arguement, but even then Neal is still on the field more then half the games. No Chad Jackson might be the best comparison.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

Crable is a bust!!!! everyone needs to accept it already. he will be released before the start of the season, guaranteed. 
    oh and for those who think he can contribute in any way to this team, try to remember that the reason he was inactive for every game before his season ending "injury" his rookie season was: A) he is a bad player and B) he couldnt play special teams. just because a player is tall and fast doesnt make him willie mac or jason taylor. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Reading that article today it makes it sound like hes still injured and can only do so much. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Crable is a bust!!!! everyone needs to accept it already. he will be released before the start of the season, guaranteed.  oh and for those who think he can contribute in any way to this team, try to remember that the reason he was inactive for every game before his season ending "injury" his rookie season was: A) he is a bad player and B) he couldnt play special teams. just because a player is tall and fast doesnt make him willie mac or jason taylor. 
    Posted by artielang

Unfortunately, since BB is likely the only person who knows what the deal is w/ Crable - fans really don't know what the deal is. Thomas was always hurt while he was with the Patriots until he was traded away to the Saints. He turned out to be a pretty good catching TE for them.

I think you're right in the sense if he doesn't get "healthy" soon and show  something on the field - BB will dump him.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Posted by harleyroadking103
    If he could do all three of those things he'ld have a sliver of hope at actually doing something another than riding the stationary bike for another season.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NovaScotiafan. Show NovaScotiafan's posts

Crable is a bust!!!! everyone needs to accept it already. he will be released before the start of the season, guaranteed.  oh and for those who think he can contribute in any way to this team, try to remember that the reason he was inactive for every game before his season ending "injury" his rookie season was: A) he is a bad player and B) he couldnt play special teams. just because a player is tall and fast doesnt make him willie mac or jason taylor. 
    Posted by artielang

What?   Either you have a weird sense of humor and are pulling our legs or you need to get out from your mom's basement once and attend training camp sessions. 

Shawn was a beast in the last two training camps. He gave our first string OL fits. He was always in Brady’s face. Good thing Tom had the red non-contact jersey on. He did a pretty good Dwight Feeney imitation…e.g. he lived in the backfield.

While this is a very deep draft, NONE of the top OLB prospects fit the ideal height, weight, speed numbers that the Patriots want and need for their OLB. Most are too short, or too slow or are one trick ponies. e.g. they can only do one of the following well : rush the QB; or be stout against the run or drop into coverage. Shawn can do all of these.

Other team’s run different 3-4 type of defenses where their OLBs do not have to do all the things that a Patriots OLB must. He is a better fit for the Patriots than any of them. His college production at Michigan was as good or better than any of the top rated OLBs coming out this year.    Plus he already understands their very complex playbook.  Shawn will have significant impact this year at OLB.

The readers of this blog are going to be amazed at how good Shawn is. 

In 1993 the draft a WR who missed a lot of games, had 2 catches TOTAL over his first 2 seasons.  He was injured and off the roster for half of 1994, and didn’t start a game until his FIFTH year.    His name was Troy Brown.    You probably would have been ranting and raving for BB to cut him also, since it was clear that he was a bust and would never amount to anything.   

Shawn is not a bust.  He is the real deal.

Stick to a blog topic you know something about.   Perhaps synchronized swimming?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Nova, there is one thing all of this years OLBs can do that Crable can't, that is stay on the field!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

Kevin O'Connell and Chad Jackson prove that the Pats will move on from mistakes, even if players are high draft picks they are not safe.  The team ad coaches must see something in this guy if they are giving him another chance.  Maybe, just maybe, the injuries he's suffered over the past two seasons were outside his control.  Maybe he's a hard worker with potential.  Whenever he's played, albeit in preseason, he looks like a disruptive pass rusher at the very least.  Not sure he can hold the edge in the running game, but at the very least, if healthy, he looks like he will help with the pass rush.

Let's hope he can stay healthy. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from paparui. Show paparui's posts

Kevin O'Connell and Chad Jackson prove that the Pats will move on from mistakes, even if players are high draft picks they are not safe.  The team ad coaches must see something in this guy if they are giving him another chance.  Maybe, just maybe, the injuries he's suffered over the past two seasons were outside his control.  Maybe he's a hard worker with potential.  Whenever he's played, albeit in preseason, he looks like a disruptive pass rusher at the very least.  Not sure he can hold the edge in the running game, but at the very least, if healthy, he looks like he will help with the pass rush. Let's hope he can stay healthy. 
    Posted by BrooklineRob

I think bad break injuries is what has stopped Crable from staying on the field. The reason why he hasn't been cut is because he's not making much as a 3rd round pick and he still has potential to be the pass rushing LB we need. If this guy can actually stay on the field which is a big if at this point almost everyone in this board will be eating their words. He's had 2 years to develop lower body strength and learn the defense. We could only hope he comes into this season hungry to prove people wrong and become a beast that we need in our defense.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Novascotiafan=Shawn Crable?

I'm sorry I went to training camp too and the only thing that stood out about Crable was his skinny legs. I understand it's fun to get excited about the guy, but he's either too soft or not good enough based on his first two years. Again, there's no way in hell BB IR's somebody for bruised shins! Think about it. Why would he IR a guy in August if the recovery time was less than a full season? He IR'd Crable but not Fred Taylor. Think about why he would do such a thing.

In 2008 he was inactive for the first 8 games, pre IR. Yup, that's unlimited potential right there. At best he's the Terrence Nunn of the defense, although I would argue he wasn't great in preseason either (unlike Nunn). He played against all second teams. He did have an interception and 1 or 2 sacks, but he wasn't exactly LT out there from what I remember.

I'm sorry, someone compared this guy to Freeney and WillieMac. Are you guys high? Mac was a 270 lb monster. Crable is 243 with long, skinny legs that makes him a liability against the run. Freeney is a 4.5 guy in a 4-3 system. I don't see the comparison. Basing it production doesn't work for a guy who hasn't played a regular season snap in the NFL.  

In Response to Re: Crable - Missing Piece or MIA? : What?   Either you have a weird sense of humor and are pulling our legs or you need to get out from your mom's basement once and attend training camp sessions.  Shawn was a beast in the last two training camps. He gave our first string OL fits. He was always in Brady’s face. Good thing Tom had the red non-contact jersey on. He did a pretty good Dwight Feeney imitation…e.g. he lived in the backfield. While this is a very deep draft, NONE of the top OLB prospects fit the ideal height, weight, speed numbers that the Patriots want and need for their OLB. Most are too short, or too slow or are one trick ponies. e.g. they can only do one of the following well : rush the QB; or be stout against the run or drop into coverage. Shawn can do all of these. Other team’s run different 3-4 type of defenses where their OLBs do not have to do all the things that a Patriots OLB must. He is a better fit for the Patriots than any of them. His college production at Michigan was as good or better than any of the top rated OLBs coming out this year.    Plus he already understands their very complex playbook.  Shawn will have significant impact this year at OLB. The readers of this blog are going to be amazed at how good Shawn is.  In 1993 the draft a WR who missed a lot of games, had 2 catches TOTAL over his first 2 seasons.  He was injured and off the roster for half of 1994, and didn’t start a game until his FIFTH year.    His name was Troy Brown.    You probably would have been ranting and raving for BB to cut him also, since it was clear that he was a bust and would never amount to anything.    Shawn is not a bust.  He is the real deal. Stick to a blog topic you know something about.   Perhaps synchronized swimming?
    Posted by NovaScotiafan

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view.bg?&articleid=1242481&format=&page=1&listingType=pats#articleFull