Curran Is Reporting the NFL Edited Rule Today

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

Re: Curran Is Reporting the NFL Edited Rule Today

How would that game have ended if the refs decided not to enforce a rule?  A tie?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

unbelievable. Thanks for the info Russ. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

And the suits and broadcasters are already on air covering it up

Nbc just went by it and called it a controversial call

If it comes down to the nfl fixing games I will turn it off altogether

lets see how they  handle it tomorrow AM on espn Which really stands for NYCNYC

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Goodell on the grassy knoll.   It's through the lookinglass people.  And the walrus was Paul.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

It was edited out of a photo for a story, which is shady journalism but the rule book is all that 

matters.  Blandino is on video in September saying second level.  Rumor 

is that second level was in the proposed rule changes but didn't make 

it into the official rule book.  Blandino in September here

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000237712/article/new-nfl-rules-overloading-line-restriction-will-protect-linemen

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAMPSXLVIII. Show CHAMPSXLVIII's posts

This is very shady editing the story without providing an explanation- i wonder why belichick wouldnt have known of the rule change

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

They realized they had an old version of the rule in the story and edited the story.  The rule itself, though, wasn't changed today.  It was finalized before the season, with the wording removed that would have made it apply only to players not at the LOS at the snap.  There's no conspiracy here. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Do people see what is going on here? The reason why this was never called all year is because it was always about the "second level".

So, this means, a team or two out there, saw BB teaching his DTs to stunt on FGs or PATs in this way, all year long, sent a tape in and balked at the new rule to be applied to the first level of play as well.

The NFL then sends a memo to the refs THIS WEEK knowing that the Pats were a team or teams who are teaching the stunting technique, so they can call it in the game, when this spring Dean Blandino, VP of Officials, only showed "second level" players for this rule.

So, the refs, the players, coaches, etc, all knew it to be "second level".

Go watch the video of Dean Blandino.  That video was distributed to all teams, and this would have been covered in camp this summer when refs come into monitor this.

We got a problem with Goodell, Perreira and his LYING self, and these officiating and rule making morons.

Too many frigggin lawyers in the room, folks.

We just lost a game because some team picked up the phone, saw BB's D LIne doing this on FGs and PATs, and the NFL sided with whatever team or teams who pointed this out due to jealousy.  So, BB gets creative, within the rules, and somehow now MID SEASON it becomes illegal overnight.

Keep in mind, this is no different than what the Jets did with Spygate where they used a rule infraction to their advantage.  The rule was not clear whatsoever, BB was right and he still got punished, as did our team.

THis story is not over. We just lost a game via incompetence via Roger Goodell and his hires.

Told ya this smelled.  Tin foil on my hear or not, this one smelled.

[/QUOTE]

I almost guarantee that it was the jets who complained

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Does anyone have the game taped? Why wasn't it called earlier in the game?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Hosed big time!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

[/QUOTE]

You seem a bit confused on this topic. The rule was ALWAYS second level. Always.  That was the rule. LB, Safety, whomever running in to push over the center.

It never said anything about the first level players, which in this case, is the D Line.

Per Bedard, all examples shown were LBs to show what they wanted eliminated, not Def Linemen.

It explains why this was never called in any of our first 6 games and it's very suspicious it was chosen to be called in OT of a 4th down 56 yard kick.

This is an embarrassing and major foul up by the NFL.   What I want to know is, why did they change their minds to include 1st level players, but NOT tell NFL teams.

The memo was sent to just the refs.  So, this means some organization saw these stunts by our D Linemen and thought it should be part of this rule. The NFL would have just randomly done it 6 weeks into a season.

In fact, the suggestion came from the players, was passed on to DeMaurice Smith and then it was presented and signed off on for the second level, this past offseason.

The rule mentioned nothing about players on the line of scrimmage itself.

[/QUOTE]

The official rule book comes out before the season.  If you are right then the second level line is in the official rule book.  According to the PDF of the rule book the second level line is not in the rule book.  If you really want to check, go check a hard copy at a book store. what they edited was a story in September about the rule.  Stories about rules are not rules.  It's shady, but as Curran pointed out they are just trying to make it sound like the rule was clear when it wasn't.  But the only thing that matters is the actual rule.

Personally I think it's a BS call, and I think the NFL taught the rule to the teams before the offical book, and taught it wrong.  They should have let people know about a last minute change.  But I don't think they have rewritten the rule book in the last few hours.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I don't know if it's a conspiracy ... but doesn't it at least seem like the NFL needs, dearly, to get its act together? 

This is amateur stuff ....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

In response to shenanigan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You seem a bit confused on this topic. The rule was ALWAYS second level. Always.  That was the rule. LB, Safety, whomever running in to push over the center.

It never said anything about the first level players, which in this case, is the D Line.

Per Bedard, all examples shown were LBs to show what they wanted eliminated, not Def Linemen.

It explains why this was never called in any of our first 6 games and it's very suspicious it was chosen to be called in OT of a 4th down 56 yard kick.

This is an embarrassing and major foul up by the NFL.   What I want to know is, why did they change their minds to include 1st level players, but NOT tell NFL teams.

The memo was sent to just the refs.  So, this means some organization saw these stunts by our D Linemen and thought it should be part of this rule. The NFL would have just randomly done it 6 weeks into a season.

In fact, the suggestion came from the players, was passed on to DeMaurice Smith and then it was presented and signed off on for the second level, this past offseason.

The rule mentioned nothing about players on the line of scrimmage itself.

[/QUOTE]

The official rule book comes out before the season.  If you are right then the second level line is in the official rule book.  According to the PDF of the rule book the second level line is not in the rule book.  If you really want to check, go check a hard copy at a book store. what they edited was a story in September about the rule.  Stories about rules are not rules.  It's shady, but as Curran pointed out they are just trying to make it sound like the rule was clear when it wasn't.  But the only thing that matters is the actual rule.

Personally I think it's a BS call, and I think the NFL taught the rule to the teams before the offical book, and taught it wrong.  They should have let people know about a last minute change.  But I don't think they have rewritten the rule book in the last few hours.

[/QUOTE]

I hate rules too.  I wish the NFL would get rid of all rules.  Rules suck.  Coaches and players cannot be expected to understand a rules of the game.  That's dumb.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

colts are on.  manning too.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't know if it's a conspiracy ... but doesn't it at least seem like the NFL needs, dearly, to get its act together? 

[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

Conspiracy or not, the NFL has their sh-- in the proverbial fan.

The pathetic display of communication and clarification is disgraceful. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]

https://twitter.com/tomecurran/status/392066713228816384/photo/1

This is incredible. I've never seen anything like this in my life.

Tom Curran is breaking this story.  Coaches and players said it was "second level players only".

We got hosed, folks.  We got hosed.   

Back in March, Dean Blandino, VP of Officiating, cited "second level".  I was right again. Spygate was a witch hunt and now again the NFL has been caught LYING.

FLAT OUT LYING and trying to cover for their officials in games!

Spygate and now this. We've been made out to be an example of without Goodell simply picking up the phone to communicate.

Now this has affected the outcome of our game today. Kraft and BB should protest in case this has any postseson ramifications down the road.

How embarrassing is it that a commissioner is signing off on rule changes where his own refs don't even know or are now being told to call it on NE, because other jealous teams are using BB's in-line stunts on FGs and PATs as examples for that rule to be applied to the point we got set up by a ref in OT during the week a memo was sent JUST to refs?

Why don't teams get notified if there is something not legal?

[/QUOTE]

LOL.  Like the Tuck rule.  No one knew it existed.  Karma.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agree. This is shedding some very poor light on the NFL, and officials.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from thefly8. Show thefly8's posts

All the call did was give Brady and the offence a excuse For their pathetic play. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to thefly8's comment:
    [QUOTE]

All the call did was give Brady and the offence a excuse For their pathetic play. 

[/QUOTE]
    and the defense.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agreed. The NFL needs to agree on the rules early in the season, get those rules out to the teams and refs, and start holding the refs accountable. They fine players for committing bad penalties, so start fining the refs for calling bad ones too.

They need to start owning up to their issues and make some changes.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to UD6's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Tom Curran is breaking this story.  Coaches and players said it was "second level players only".

Back in March, Dean Blandino, VP of Officiating, cited "second level".  I was right again. Spygate was a witch hunt and now again the NFL has been caught LYING.

Spygate and now this. We've been made out to be an example of without Goodell simply picking up the phone to communicate.

Now this has affected the outcome of our game today. Kraft and BB should protest in case this has any postseson ramifications down the road.

How embarrassing is it that a commissioner is signing off on rule changes where his own refs don't even know or are now being told to call it on NE, because other jealous teams are using BB's in-line stunts on FGs and PATs as examples for that rule to be applied to the point we got set up by a ref in OT during the week a memo was sent JUST to refs?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Everyone knew the tuck rule existed and it got called against the Patriots against STL s earlier that same year.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

They realized they had an old version of the rule in the story and edited the story.  The rule itself, though, wasn't changed today.  It was finalized before the season, with the wording removed that would have made it apply only to players not at the LOS at the snap.  There's no conspiracy here. 

[/QUOTE]

That doesn't change the fact they alerted teams to the "second level".   That's what it was for.

So, they changed it and didn't tell anyone, including the refs, until this past week. How can you defend this?

This is not the first time BB has coached our DTs to stunt like that on FGs or PAts, dude.

If anything, that premise of yours is a conspiracy.

Bedard said the coaches and players were all shown "second level" players as to what is now illegal, not players on the first level or on the line of scrimmage. This is a fact, unless you think that info from Bedard is wrong.

NFL.com is connected to the NFL. That's their official website, so yes, they told the refs last week to enforce the line of scrimmage stunting, but it had to have come from somewhere because Blandino said "second level" only.  This never was talked about with players on the line of scrimmage itself.

So, you're wrong. They didn't have an "old version" in the story. That's not why they edited an old column mere hours after our game ended. You're a lot more intelligent than that, Prolate.

This story is just breaking, so don't expect it go away.  Blandino will probably need to be fired.

[/QUOTE]

This is the PDF of the rules that appears in the NFL's online media guide.  According to the document properties, the file was last updated on August 1 at 5:11:27 pm.  The wording is the revised wording that doesn't exclude players who are on the LOS at the snap:

(2) Team B players cannot push teammates on the line of scrimmage into the offensive formation.

Penalty: For unnecessary roughness: Loss of 15 yards.

https://www.nfl.info/download/2012MediaGuides/2013%20NFL%20Rule%20Book.pdf

Sorry Rusty, but the rule was published prior the start of the season in the form that was enforced during the game.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Umm, he had it called on us in 2001, moron. I believe Carolina had it that year, too. Well known rule and longstanding.

[/QUOTE]
    look it up.  let me know. 

You watching the colts vs. manning?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    look it up.  let me know. 

You watching the colts vs. manning?

[/QUOTE]

better question: who isn't watching it?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Umm, he had it called on us in 2001, moron. I believe Carolina had it that year, too. Well known rule and longstanding.

[/QUOTE]

longstanding? How long?