CURREN FROM PRACTICE PAIRINGS LOOKS LIKE GAFFNEY AND BRANCH COMPETING FOR 1 SPOT.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

CURREN FROM PRACTICE PAIRINGS LOOKS LIKE GAFFNEY AND BRANCH COMPETING FOR 1 SPOT.

branch knows where to be, but gaffney should be able to beat coverage often and  has legs to last teh season. i hope we dont lose branch as a backup, but ive got gaffney preferred over branch.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Re: CURREN FROM PRACTICE PAIRINGS LOOKS LIKE GAFFNEY AND BRANCH COMPETING FOR 1 SPOT.

Branch was done last season, plus, he's 5'10. 

Gaffney is 6'2, a good route-runner, good hands, works well in McDaniel's system, can play inside and out and he's much faster than Branch. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: CURREN FROM PRACTICE PAIRINGS LOOKS LIKE GAFFNEY AND BRANCH COMPETING FOR 1 SPOT.

In Response to Re: CURREN FROM PRACTICE PAIRINGS LOOKS LIKE GAFFNEY AND BRANCH COMPETING FOR 1 SPOT.:
    [QUOTE]Branch was done last season, plus, he's 5'10.  Gaffney is 6'2, a good route-runner, good hands, works well in McDaniel's system, can play inside and out and he's much faster than Branch. 
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

yup!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

If Branch stays (and I think there's a pretty good chance he will), I suspect he's used more in the slot and is just a back-up on the edge. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

So is he assuming Stallworth's is a lock?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: CURREN FROM PRACTICE PAIRINGS LOOKS LIKE GAFFNEY AND BRANCH COMPETING FOR 1 SPOT.:
    [QUOTE]If Branch stays (and I think there's a pretty good chance he will), I suspect he's used more in the slot and is just a back-up on the edge. 
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

gaff and branch are training in the same routes

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: CURREN FROM PRACTICE PAIRINGS LOOKS LIKE GAFFNEY AND BRANCH COMPETING FOR 1 SPOT. : gaff and branch are training in the same routes
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]

It's still early in camp so don't read to much into where they line up and what they run.

Still given a choice of Gaffney or Branch well.. Gafney has as much chemistry with Brady as Branch, from all reports they never lost that chemistry, Gaffney is bigger and faster, and has more stamina to last the season. It's not much of a competition.

The more interesting will be Branch vs Stallworth. What's interesting is Stallworth is taking reps at KR. So to earn a spot Stallworth needs to play a role on ST's. Wonder if Branch will make a move to ST's too

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: CURREN FROM PRACTICE PAIRINGS LOOKS LIKE GAFFNEY AND BRANCH COMPETING FOR 1 SPOT. : gaff and branch are training in the same routes
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but it's very early.  I see Branch as a versatile back up who can play both the slot positions and the outside receiver positions.  Assuming we keep six receivers, I think the locks are Lloyd, Welker, Gaffney, and Slater.  The next three (Branch, Stallworth, and Edelman) are fighting for two slots.  From a pure receiving standpoint, I'd say Edelman would be the odd man out.  But when you consider Edelman's special teams contributions, his odds of sticking seem much higher.  Stallworth is less versatile than Branch, but he's better at stretching the field.  To stick, though, I think Stallworth has to show he's effective enough to be incoporated into the offense on a regular basis and not just be a bench guy.  As a back-up, I think Branch may have an edge because of versatility.  There's a slight possibility I guess that Slater gets let go (but I doubt that very much) or that BB keeps seven receivers (but I doubt that too).  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I think Gaffney is a lock.  I think it will go down to Stallworth, Branch and Edelman on the bubble.  Branch will stay one more year for his route running and his experience with Brady.  So between Stallworth and Edelman... Edelmen will be kept for his versatility and youth.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

Actually think between Stallworth, Branch and Edelman  . . . it will be Branch who will get cut.  Stallworth is working at KR and he is a stud as a gunner . . . Edelman can fill in at PR, as a slot cover man, on special teams and as a back-up in the slot.  BB knows how important special teams are!  Branch makes the team only if Gaffney, Stallworth or Edelman go down in practice but Branch will be told to sit home by the phone and keep himself in shape as a season ending injury to any of the wideouts will put Branch back on the team.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Will-Redd. Show Will-Redd's posts

Branch is a possession receiver these days. We have a bunch.

He used to extend plays, break for big gains.  Now, he sits down after he makes a catch.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Branch disappeared late in the season.  Wonder if the mix of prior injuries and age caught up with him.