Current State of The DBs?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Current State of The DBs?

"One area where Patriot coaches likely are having some of their biggest debates is on who to keep and who to let go in the defensive backfield. In this case, few players behind the starters have stood out. Instead, the guys fighting for jobs have struggled. It would not be a surprise to see the Pats become buyers this time around for offensive linemen or defensive backs."

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/patriots/content/20130825-theres-little-comfort-on-the-cutting-edge.ece

"If the Patriots decide they have to do something to improve any specific area, they have the money to do so. According to those who compile the numbers, the Pats are just over $10 million under the salary cap. Thus, they could trade for someone. Or, if they so choose, they could extend the contract of a player or players whose deal runs out at the end of the season. They have done that regularly in the past, but have not done so yet this season."

So, how are the DB's doing? Better or worse than last year?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Re: Current State of The DBs?

My guess is they get better as the season moves on. It is necessary for team to make progress; the front 7 can't do it all.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Is the Pro Jo part of the anti BB media always referenced on this board?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to NYC's comment:

My guess is they get better as the season moves on. It is necessary for team to make progress; the front 7 can't do it all.

I think they will too (hopefully).  It sure wouldn't hurt to have an improved pass rush tho.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Seems like we're $10 million under the CAP every year.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

I'm not sure why you feel projo is anti-bb. They appear to have as many positive articles about BB and the Patriots.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

saving it for later during the course of the season?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to NYC's comment:

yes, I would agree.  I think the front 7 can mask out probs w/ the DBs vs. the other way around tho. So, I'm hoping we have improved the personnel for our front 7.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjetssuc. Show nyjetssuc's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

NO...that's primarily ESPN (YOUR ONE STOP FOR ALL YOUR DISNEY ENTERTAINMENT -BUT NEVER NEWS- NEEDS)..we all know that because it's T-R-U-E

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjetssuc. Show nyjetssuc's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

"One area where Patriot coaches likely are having some of their biggest debates is on who to keep and who to let go in the defensive backfield. In this case, few players behind the starters have stood out. Instead, the guys fighting for jobs have struggled. It would not be a surprise to see the Pats become buyers this time around for offensive linemen or defensive backs."

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/patriots/content/20130825-theres-little-comfort-on-the-cutting-edge.ece

"If the Patriots decide they have to do something to improve any specific area, they have the money to do so. According to those who compile the numbers, the Pats are just over $10 million under the salary cap. Thus, they could trade for someone. Or, if they so choose, they could extend the contract of a player or players whose deal runs out at the end of the season. They have done that regularly in the past, but have not done so yet this season."

So, how are the DB's doing? Better or worse than last year?

They can carry forward $5 million forward into next season...which they will....so they really only have $5 million available...part of which probably should be spent on at least one available late cut interior DL as opposed to a DB or to extend a contract for someone ending their 1st contract after this season.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to nyjetssuc's comment:

They can carry forward $5 million forward into next season...which they will....so they really only have $5 million available...part of which probably should be spent on at least one available late cut interior DL as opposed to a DB or to extend a contract for someone ending their 1st contract after this season.

that would be good.  time will tell. You think the current dbs can get the job done?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

[QUOTE]

You do realize that if you spend right to the cap, it lessens your leverage as a GM, correct?

Of course you don't.

You need about 5 million for operating costs.  Please learn before mocking Kraft and BB. Clueless people shouldn't be mocking anyone.

[/QUOTE]

lol, thank God we're avoiding "operating cost" Hell. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

That's the funniest thing I've read here in a while.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjetssuc. Show nyjetssuc's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

In response to nyjetssuc's comment:
    [QUOTE]

that would be good.  time will tell. You think the current dbs can get the job done?

[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Considerng the title of the thread, my first question was, "Okay, there's Rusty.  Who are the others?"

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjetssuc. Show nyjetssuc's posts

All NY Jets trolls will get the same treatment...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Considerng the title of the thread, my first question was, "Okay, there's Rusty.  Who are the others?"

LOL. Prolly the same poster under different names. Al the other ones NOT on ignore are  the regular, no drama, knowledgeable football fans.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Well if we carry 5 M over then the businessman in me says ok we made it thru the season, saved for a rainy day, well it's 2014 and its a rainy day. Lets get Vince a good partner with it maybe some of that will go in seymores pocket this year

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

Well if we carry 5 M over then the businessman in me says ok we made it thru the season, saved for a rainy day, well it's 2014 and its a rainy day. Lets get Vince a good partner with it maybe some of that will go in seymores pocket this year

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

I hear ya. There's still time.  Let's see if there's anyone that can be picked up during the next couple of weeks

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

You do realize that if you spend right to the cap, it lessens your leverage as a GM, correct?

Of course you don't.

You need about 5 million for operating costs.  Please learn before mocking Kraft and BB. Clueless people shouldn't be mocking anyone.

Laughing Laughing