Daily NFL Draft tidbit: Is Fresno State RB Ryan Mathews a Patriots kind of guy?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hoier. Show Hoier's posts

Mathews FresnoEven with the news that Kevin Faulk has signed on for another year with the Patriots and the fact that Sammy Morris is raring to go for another season, there is still some speculation at running back.

Perhaps that’s because of the constant wondering about Laurence Maroney and if he’ll ever live up to his first-round selection. Did we mention that the NFL Draft, which is more than a month away, is chock full ‘o running backs?

It is. And one of the guys who keeps popping up in my head is Fresno State’s slashing back Ryan Mathews. Haven’t heard of him like you know about Alabama’s Mark Ingram, Stanford’s Toby Gerhart or Clemson’s C.J. Spiller?

That’s cool. He only led the country in rushing with 150.67 yards per game. And he’ll likely be available at 22nd overall.

Why does it matter about the 5-foot-11, 220-pounder? Because his coach is Pat Hill, a good buddy of and former Cleveland special assignment scout for Patriots coach Bill Belichick. That usually means something.

Belichick loves guys who played for his disciples… like all the LSU guys (or ex-Dolphins like Wes Welker) on the roster who played for Nick Saban. Mainly, I think, it’s because they teach and focus on the same things he does. Like fundamentals. And for a running back, blocking.

Listen to what Mathews said at the NFL Combine recently:

We all have our strong points. Mine is probably pass blocking. Being at Fresno State, the running backs are incorporated in the blocking a lot. Coming from a program like that is really going to help me at the next level — if I get a chance — to sort linebackers out and safeties too.”

Music to Belichick’s ears, perhaps? Definitely. Also, Mathews has always been productive (when he hasn’t been battling freak injuries). He not only led the nation in rushing as a college junior, he also did the same with 3,396 yards as a high school senior in Bakersfield, Calif., with some snaps coming out of the Wildcat.

I had a lot of help,” Mathews said. “In high school it’s a lot different. If you’re faster than everybody else you can do good things. I just happened to be faster than a lot of people.”

What’s his running strength?

I’d have to say my vision and being able to get North and South,” Mathews said. “I’m not a finesse runner but I can get the ball downfield and I can break for big yards.

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/rap_sheet/index.php/2010/03/15/daily-nfl-draft-tidbit-is-fresno-state-rb-ryan-mathews-a-patriots-kind-of-guy/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Re: Daily NFL Draft tidbit: Is Fresno State RB Ryan Mathews a Patriots kind of guy?

I love Matthews as a back and would be excited if we picked him but part of me questions the merit of drafting a running back #22 in this deep draft when there are so many good ones later on, with all the defensive needs this team has (right end, outside linebacker).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

Re: Daily NFL Draft tidbit: Is Fresno State RB Ryan Mathews a Patriots kind of guy?

HE IS INDEED A PATRIOTS TYPE PLAYER AND PERSON AND I WOULD BE ELATED IF HE WERE THEIR CHOICE WITH THEIR FIRST ROUND,ESPECIALLY IF GRAHAM AND WILLIAMS ARE GONE.WATCH OUT FOR THE TEXANS TAKING MATTHEWS WITH THE 20TH SELECTION OR IF SAN DIEGO TRADES UP AHEAD OF THE PATS JUST TO PICK HIM. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Although my heart's set on Odrick, I wouldn't mind this selection 1 single bit.  Apparently Matthews blew it up at The Combine with (if I recall correctly) a low 4- something in the 40 and just great hands in pass-catching out of the backfield...  Matthews is very close to EXACTLY what I want (as I've been saying again and again):  A big, between-the-tackles pounder who hits the hole Fast, Hard and very quickly in a Nth-Sth manner, so he's big enough for spearheading-at-Brady D-Lineman cannot arm tackle him, quick and agile enough to make a move on the LBs, and Is a home-run threat in the open field in his own right...  Think he had something like 7.4 yards a clip this year, and IF he's a great pass-blocker and humble to boot, Then Wow...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Would love for this guy to be a Patriot but I would take a long hard look at what passrushers were available at the same spot, and who might be available and the difference in value for the next draft pick. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

Just because matthews is not a big name "glamor" back, he might just make it to #44. Could work out that spiller, best, dwyer and mcknight go before him.
    I'd take gresham or kindle, if either is available, at #22 and look for a RB at #44.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

If he, by some miracle he slips to #44 I wouldn't complain a bit or even if we traded up to grab him in the low 2nd but if a true 3 down pass-rusher like Graham is available at #22 I'd be a little disappointed we went RB over a position of great need like OLB. Kind of like how we passed over a number of good LB's last year and grab Chung. Now Chung might turn out to be the right pick in the end but seeing all those LB's we skipped making impacts on their teams last year really hurt.