Dan lebatard: "i am legit concerned about Wes Welker's future, he's already showing signs of possible brain damage!"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CommyContrarianOnTwitter. Show CommyContrarianOnTwitter's posts

Dan lebatard: "i am legit concerned about Wes Welker's future, he's already showing signs of possible brain damage!"

listened to the itunes archive of dan's radio show while getting some work done overnight.. was talking about gronk and about protecting players from head injuries. he knows wes from his miami days. was really concerned that wes was allowed to play after his first official concussion. dan says he's ben concerned for years esp after watching film of him at texas tech of wes being lit up again and again from obvious head shots mainly from special teams. he knows of the constant headaches and has heard some alarming backstage stuff.

he thinks wes has had dozens of concussions. he says he cant help but notice the same permanent, unnatural glazed look in wes' eyes that he once noticed with concern with Ali (esp before his trevor berbick match), and with chuck lindell and a few others of that ilk. feels that wes is "punch drunk" and needs an intervention. cant believe noone is coming to wes' aid for its so logically obvious... thinks the pats knew something. also feels that peyton isnt helping wes with all those flutter balls in tight windows. can see that wes is no longer getting the separation he used to and simply isnt quick enough to avoid certain hits anymore esp to his head.

dan doesnt like what he sees of him both on TV and lately in person. this is not the wes he came to know.. he really thinks something's off with wes healthwise and thinks he should seriously consider retiring after this year and shouldnt even  play again this year. dan feels wes will be a negative stat example like some of the old uys like the old pats RB (kevin something) who today cant speak and move himself, sad statistic of lou gehrig's disease. dan cant see how this can possibly end well for WES!

the more dan talked, more i begin to think wes' drops may be caused by some latent form of parkinsons and that his indecision on that key punt may be just another symptom of his issues. dan really has me concerned for the future of wes' life!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Re: Dan lebatard:

Very very sad

if pats knew it but didn't tell him , not good, but that is pure conjecture and a wreckers unfounded accusation. especially considering the Pats offered him a substantial contract, whethrter or not he took it

a better question if what Dan was saying is why the broncs and WW went out there after his first concussionconcussion

I have some question if the broncs put him out there any time soon, and am sure WW must be aware of the negative possibilities,  if it were my decision he wouldn't play at least this year, football be damned. 

I would also like to see some talk of new helmets. The weapon on these guys heads is lethal not that it would solve all problems and I wonder too about better head protection

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Man that BB always knows when to get out..

Seriously though, if there is any truth to this than he really needs to think about life after football. He isnt gonna win another ring playing with Pouty anyway. He has the stats. Just be happy with being the greatest slot WR to play and the fact you played with the 2 greatest QBs  of this era.... and call it quits. Noone will think less of him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

If it is true then to some extent it may be too late to do anything other than limit it to only the damage already done.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom2. Show proftom2's posts

NFL Needs to change the rules to protects guys who make a living catching passes in the middle of the field. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Blame the fans.  If we didn't watch this violent crap, no one would get hurt.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from EastTraveler. Show EastTraveler's posts

Maybe at the end of the day it would be better for Wes Welker to retire with the health that he has left... I hope the best for him and all players that suffer the same injuries...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to seawolfxs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Very very sad

if pats knew it but didn't tell him , not good, but that is pure conjecture and a wreckers unfounded accusation. especially considering the Pats offered him a substantial contract, whethrter or not he took it

[/QUOTE]

If the Pats knew what but didn't tell him? That he had concussions? Don't you think HE knew that?  

This is on him, not the Patriots or the Broncos or the NFL. He knows the score, whether he wants to keep playing because he needs the money or because he just wants to, he is aware of the risk. Nobody is forcing him to go back out there. I think he's stupid if he keeps playing, but that's on him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I can't think of another player who has taken more brutal hits over the past 7 years or so than Welker.  There could be a lot of truth to this.  2 concussions in the past 3 weeks isn't good.  Hope he doesn't rush back.  Health first.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

Ya think?  Very sad, but very very true. Not being insensitive, just glad the PATS moved on when they did.  It speaks to the reasons that we have seen Wes essentially freeze under high stress situations. His motor skills seem to have been on a decline for some time now. Really too bad, but as some have said, he knows the score. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This is on him, not the Patriots or the Broncos or the NFL. He knows the score, whether he wants to keep playing because he needs the money or because he just wants to, he is aware of the risk. Nobody is forcing him to go back out there. I think he's stupid if he keeps playing, but that's on him.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed!!

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAMPSXLVIII. Show CHAMPSXLVIII's posts

In response to CommyContrarianOnTwitter's comment:
    [QUOTE]

listened to the itunes archive of dan's radio show while getting some work done overnight.. was talking about gronk and about protecting players from head injuries. he knows wes from his miami days. was really concerned that wes was allowed to play after his first official concussion. dan says he's ben concerned for years esp after watching film of him at texas tech of wes being lit up again and again from obvious head shots mainly from special teams. he knows of the constant headaches and has heard some alarming backstage stuff.

he thinks wes has had dozens of concussions. he says he cant help but notice the same permanent, unnatural glazed look in wes' eyes that he once noticed with concern with Ali (esp before his trevor berbick match), and with chuck lindell and a few others of that ilk. feels that wes is "punch drunk" and needs an intervention. cant believe noone is coming to wes' aid for its so logically obvious... thinks the pats knew something. also feels that peyton isnt helping wes with all those flutter balls in tight windows. can see that wes is no longer getting the separation he used to and simply isnt quick enough to avoid certain hits anymore esp to his head.

dan doesnt like what he sees of him both on TV and lately in person. this is not the wes he came to know.. he really thinks something's off with wes healthwise and thinks he should seriously consider retiring after this year and shouldnt even  play again this year. dan feels wes will be a negative stat example like some of the old uys like the old pats RB (kevin something) who today cant speak and move himself, sad statistic of lou gehrig's disease. dan cant see how this can possibly end well for WES!

the more dan talked, more i begin to think wes' drops may be caused by some latent form of parkinsons and that his indecision on that key punt may be just another symptom of his issues. dan really has me concerned for the future of wes' life!

[/QUOTE]

You can write in a normal way!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Of all the threads CC has created, why is there any credence given to this one?

Can anyone corroborate his source?  He's usually without any evidence...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

I wouldn't rely on Dan Lebatard for medical advise.  Wes, obviously, should be very concerned about two concussions in a very short time span.  He seems like the kind of guy that will play again as soon as they tell him he can.

I hope he can avoid the big hits.  He just isn't going to quit while he is still a top player.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

In response to bostatewarrior's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I wouldn't rely on Dan Lebatard for medical advise.  Wes, obviously, should be very concerned about two concussions in a very short time span.  He seems like the kind of guy that will play again as soon as they tell him he can.

I hope he can avoid the big hits.  He just isn't going to quit while he is still a top player.  

[/QUOTE]

Spot on.  I don't think he was ever right in the head to begin with, playing that position at that size across the middle.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to seawolfxs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Very very sad

[/QUOTE]

If the Pats knew what but didn't tell him? That he had concussions? Don't you think HE knew that?  

[/QUOTE]

This is so true.  How many times have we heard a player say they tried to hide they had a possible concussion so they would not miss any playing time?  But, then again, some player will sue the team claiming they "should have known" the player had a concussion and should have done something about it.  Right?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I have watched some recent interviews by Welker and don't see any signs of the "punch drunk" effects mentioned in Commy's post.  I doubt the Pats would have even made an offer if they noticed signs and I doubt the Broncos would have even signed Welker had they noticed signs.

I tried to find the LeBatard interview commy has referenced, I can not find it.  Commy, can you please provide a link or the podcast details?  The latest podcast I see from LaBatard is from 12/5 and I went through it and couldn't find any discussion about this.

I don't see any prior concussion history for Welker when he was with the Pats.  One thing I find interesting is Collie, Stokley and now Welker have all had multiple concussions under Peyton Manning as the QB.  What is Manning doing to his slot guys?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAMPSXLVIII. Show CHAMPSXLVIII's posts

I buy that he is brain damaged - how else could he drop that ball in the afc championship game last year and in Super Bowl 46

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAMPSXLVIII. Show CHAMPSXLVIII's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I have watched some recent interviews by Welker and don't see any signs of the "punch drunk" effects mentioned in Commy's post.  I doubt the Pats would have even made an offer if they noticed signs and I doubt the Broncos would have even signed Welker had they noticed signs.

I tried to find the LeBatard interview commy has referenced, I can not find it.  Commy, can you please provide a link or the podcast details?  The latest podcast I see from LaBatard is from 12/5 and I went through it and couldn't find any discussion about this.

I don't see any prior concussion history for Welker when he was with the Pats.  One thing I find interesting is Collie, Stokley and now Welker have all had multiple concussions under Peyton Manning as the QB.  What is Manning doing to his slot guys?

[/QUOTE]

welker Ryan Clark 2009

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Two major concussions in three weeks is a big red flag. Beyond that, every NFL player gets concussed almost every time they take the field. Just because they aren't knocked silly doesn't mean they aren't concussed. Some guys can handle more and keep going, but they're still affected. It's like with boxers, some guys can get hammered repeatedly and keep on fighting. Other guys go down easy. Who's worse off long term?

A guy like Welker takes as many shots as anybody. It's a cumulative deal. If anybody, the NFL, the team, were really concerned about the guy's health they'd make him stop playing. The Broncos are trying to win games, so they'll follow the rules and get him out there ASAP.

So, it's on the player to take the action that's in his best interest because the teams are going to do what's in their best interest, not his. They want to get their money's worth.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I'm pretty sure it was Peyton Manning who, for some reason was wearing the # 5 jersey in warmups, gave Pam Oliver a concussion.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

One thing I find interesting is Collie, Stokley and now Welker have all had multiple concussions under Peyton Manning as the QB.  What is Manning doing to his slot guys?

[/QUOTE]

Very good point.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure it was Peyton Manning who, for some reason was wearing the # 5 jersey in warmups, gave Pam Oliver a concussion.

[/QUOTE]

That was Chandler Harnish.

25. This post has been removed.