dane fletcher

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpez. Show jpez's posts

dane fletcher

Im not really a huge x and o type of guy( i'd love to be ), but the eye test is what i use most.  Am I crazy or was the loss of Dane Fletcher in the preseason vastly underrated.  Think about it, undrafted small school monster stats defensive end in college , who Bill converted to a linebacker (aka Bills science project.) Excellent coverage linebacker who covered for mayo's absense in the past. Played fairly well against the ravens.  A poor man's teddy bruschi.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Re: dane fletcher

He can cover RB's and TE's better than anyother LBer on the team... at least that's how I remember him...

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Good in coverage. Good sub player. The Pats have enough LBs who can stop the run (Mayo, Spikes, Hightower) and you always need players that can cover well in certain packages.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

I Like Dane, he has good instincts and also fills holes quickly.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Personally based off his play two years ago I thought that he became totally lost as the year went on and eventually was benched during the Buffalo game late in the season. Spiller made a fool of him in coverage (as I'm sure he does to most linebackers), but still it wasn't the only time he was exposed that season. I can remember him early in the season looking like he was going to blitz, then thinking twice about it, then deciding not to, only to stand there and cover no one.

I really think while it's nice to want to cheer these players on and hope for the best, sometimes it isn't warranted. This guy wasn't exactly big, fast or productive for us BEFORE the major knee injury...I don't think he makes the roster next year.

The guy that I find myself pipe dreaming about right now is Armond Armstead.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

Personally based off his play two years ago I thought that he became totally lost as the year went on and eventually was benched during the Buffalo game late in the season. Spiller made a fool of him in coverage (as I'm sure he does to most linebackers), but still it wasn't the only time he was exposed that season. I can remember him early in the season looking like he was going to blitz, then thinking twice about it, then deciding not to, only to stand there and cover no one.

I really think while it's nice to want to cheer these players on and hope for the best, sometimes it isn't warranted. This guy wasn't exactly big, fast or productive for us BEFORE the major knee injury...I don't think he makes the roster next year.

He's better as a sub role player than a starter. 

Yeah maybe. If it weren't for the knee injury, I could see that.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

What does the knee injury have to do with the idea he's not a starter, but an effective 3rd down sub coverage LB?

We have no idea how his recovery has been and how he'll look in 2013.

You seem convinced the knee definitively has him doomed.

Well what I did was factor in how the lack of available natural cloved garlic was affecting the global economy, then I apllied a frayer method to how many Italians would be directly affected by this. Then I immediatly thought that a guy named Dane Fletcher clearly is not Italian - therefore he has never had to deal with the garlic struggle...which obviously will not condition him for the disadvantage he now faces. I mean could it be any more clear?

I'm just kidding silly! What I did was understand what he was before the injury (not very good), then I added a devastating knee injury into that equation. It came out like this...

Not very good=Not very good

Not very good+devastating knee injury=less than not very good

^^That help?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

Well what I did was factor in how the lack of available natural cloved garlic was affecting the global economy, then I apllied a frayer method to how many Italians would be directly affected by this. Then I immediatly thought that a guy named Dane Fletcher clearly is not Italian - therefore he has never had to deal with the garlic struggle...which obviously will not condition him for the disadvantage he now faces. I mean could it be any more clear?                                                                                                                                                                   

for a second there I thought Laz was back        

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to jpez's comment:

Im not really a huge x and o type of guy( i'd love to be ), but the eye test is what i use most.  Am I crazy or was the loss of Dane Fletcher in the preseason vastly underrated.  Think about it, undrafted small school monster stats defensive end in college , who Bill converted to a linebacker (aka Bills science project.) Excellent coverage linebacker who covered for mayo's absense in the past. Played fairly well against the ravens.  A poor man's teddy bruschi.

Fletch may have been one of he better Pats coverage LB's(along with White), but he is medicore, not excellent. Carpenter was the sub coverage LB that should have been kept imo.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to jri37's comment:

In response to rkarp's comment:

Fletch may have been one of he better Pats coverage LB's(along with White), but he is medicore, not excellent. Carpenter was the sub coverage LB that should have been kept imo.

Opinions are what they are just that opinions. Here is a question... if Bobby Carpenter was so good in pass coverage this past yearwhy didn't some other team pick him up?

good question. injury? salary demands? lack of special team ability? I saw a lot of spring camp and preseason games and thought he should have made the team. clearly Koutivedes and White are special team favorites of BB, perhaps that is the reason?

the point being Fletch was not "excellent" in coverage, and to compare him to Bruschi (also weak in coverage) is simply not accurate

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Opinions are what they are just that opinions. Here is a question... if Bobby Carpenter was so good in pass coverage this past yearwhy didn't some other team pick him up?

good question. injury? salary demands? lack of special team ability? I saw a lot of spring camp and preseason games and thought he should have made the team. clearly Koutivedes and White are special team favorites of BB, perhaps that is the reason?

the point being Fletch was not "excellent" in coverage, and to compare him to Bruschi (also weak in coverage) is simply not accurate

I will reserve comment on Koutivedes, White and Fletcher. All I can say is Bobby Carpenter was let go by BB and the other 31 GM's and coaches didn't see any value in his ability... that is all i am saying.

are you sure that Carpenter didnt decide after the rigors of camp he didnt want to play this year?

preseason LB's I thought he should have made the team, although White didnt play a lot this preseason. I dont know the reason why he was cut, why he wasnt picked up by another team.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I will reserve comment on Koutivedes, White and Fletcher. All I can say is Bobby Carpenter was let go by BB and the other 31 GM's and coaches didn't see any value in his ability... that is all i am saying.

are you sure that Carpenter didnt decide after the rigors of camp he didnt want to play this year?

preseason LB's I thought he should have made the team, although White didnt play a lot this preseason. I dont know the reason why he was cut, why he wasnt picked up by another team.

All I can go by are the facts... Bobby Carpenter was cut by NE and 31 other teams didn't pick him up.

yes I know. did you see him play in the spring? any preseason games? do you have an opinion on it, now that you saw how the Pats LB's were in sub coverage this year?

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

All I can go by are the facts... Bobby Carpenter was cut by NE and 31 other teams didn't pick him up.

yes I know. did you see him play in the spring? any preseason games? do you have an opinion on it, now that you saw how the Pats LB's were in sub coverage this year?

Yes I did see him play in training camp, I saw him in pre-season and saw his limited time during the season and my opinion was his only strength was his coverage ability and that was for lack of a better word, okay. I don't think it was that spectacular that it made up for his limited skills in the rest of his game. Based on the fact he was let go and not picked up by any other team his value wasn't that great for his suppossed strenght in coverage. That is just an opinion based on the facts that actually played out.

fair enough. this board is for opinions and every one is entitled to one. I was wondering if you had one to offer?

were you impressed with the Pats LB's coverage this season? I thought the LB coverage was so weak, that S help was absolutely needed, leaving the CB's with late or no S help at all.

Granted, Mayo "improved" to adequate. Spikes "improved" to below average. Hightower was a liability in the passing game. Hard to ask a LB to be great at everything, and I do think overall Mayo is great, Spikes very good, and Hightower will be very good, but in obvious passing downs, these guys, and White were exposed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

What does the knee injury have to do with the idea he's not a starter, but an effective 3rd down sub coverage LB?

We have no idea how his recovery has been and how he'll look in 2013.

You seem convinced the knee definitively has him doomed.

I'm just kidding silly! What I did was understand what he was before the injury (not very good), then I added a devastating knee injury into that equation. It came out like this...

Not very good=Not very good

Not very good+devastating knee injury=less than not very good

^^That help?

How is he "not very good" if you said "I could see that" in agreement with me as him being effective as a sub player as an LB?

Sweet backpedal.

For a minute there I could have sworn Mt Hurl was in his prime contradicting himself yet again, simply unable to get himself to saying anything remotely positive about any Pats defender.

It's rather simple - no back pedal at all - I could see him as a sub player prior to his injury because he had some quickness and experience as a pass rusher, so I could see him potentially blitzing/rushing from the middle and possibly end. With his quickness I could maybe see that, without it I can't. I watched him play for a year at linebacker...he got himself stuffed on the bench for a reason, and being good in coverage was not one of them. If its negative, too bad, I just call it like I see it. There's a reason why we traded up in the draft to select two tweener type linebackers/defensive front seven players....it wasn't because Fletcher is anything special.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I assume the 2 you refer to are Jones and Hightower? You can add a 3rd in Bequette

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

I thought Fletcher was a nice story and decent depth LB but I do not think he is the solution to the LB coverage problem that the Pats have. I like him and White, but saying they are the Pats best coverage linebackers is scary! I hoped they would find one in last years draft, and while I understand why they couldn't pass up on Hightower's talent, I thought from a team need they might have overpaid in terms of draft capital by selecting him. I am not sure who is out there as FA and I have no idea yet on draft possibilities but I hope a fast coverage LB is high on their list.