Daniel Fells

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: Daniel Fells

insurance against Ballard or Gronk not being ready for camp?

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Why? Why?  BB stacking his TE's like the Jets stacking QB's.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from murghkhor. Show murghkhor's posts

5 TEs on roster possible? With Gronk/Hern playing a hybrid-receiver role and Ballard the blocker every time and Hooman and Fells as depth since we always field 2-3 TE on the field. Certainly takes care of lack of WR in team. Just put more TEs on the field!!

I wouldn't at all be shocked to see more and more formations with 3 TEs on field, with either Gronk or Hern often in a WR position. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

That TE, Hoomana who who (sp) is a tough guy, great blocker. I think he also fills in at FB.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to murghkhor's comment:

5 TEs on roster possible? With Gronk/Hern playing a hybrid-receiver role and Ballard the blocker every time and Hooman and Fells as depth since we always field 2-3 TE on the field. Certainly takes care of lack of WR in team. Just put more TEs on the field!!

I wouldn't at all be shocked to see more and more formations with 3 TEs on field, with either Gronk or Hern often in a WR position. 

In terms of quantity, I guess you can say yes. Does it address issues they had last year with regard to having well-rounded receiver corps that can also operate outside and stretch the field both ways? I don't think so. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

It's possible that the game has evolved, and BB evolved it. 

5 tight ends on the team could be the new norm if Hoom can play fullback, if Hernandez can play either running back or wide receiver and if Gronk is uncoverable (without double coverage) over the middle.   We discovered in 2012 that with a heavy set on the field, every time the opponent put their pass protection defense on the field, the Patriots went into a power set and ran the ball right into and over the 97 pound weaklings. 

This 2012 offense, not the storied Patriots offenses of the near past, set the NFL record for most first downs in a regular season. 

So what's wrong with Gronk, Hernandez and Fells/Hoom all on the field on third and 1 when the Pats are up two touchdowns in the fourth quarter?  Everybody in the stadium knows that the Patriots prefer to run the ball, so there's nothing wrong with more beef pushing the D-line backwards.  If the opponent brings in their own beef, and BTW most teams don't have the luxury of keeping eight first stringer quality beefy defensemen on the roster, then who on defense is going to cover Hernandez and Gronk?  Two of those fat guys?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

I think if you consider Hoom and Hern as hybrids - one FB/TE and the other slot/TE then you have three standard TEs in Gronk, Ballard and Fells - able to block and catch. I was actually pretty impressed with Hooms catching when he was targeted last year - made a couple of really tough catches. With the TE focus of the offense the past two years and with both Gronk and Hern having injuries, carrying 5 TEs may be wise.

And the cap hit is pretty reasonable at this point.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:

It's possible that the game has evolved, and BB evolved it. 

5 tight ends on the team could be the new norm if Hoom can play fullback, if Hernandez can play either running back or wide receiver and if Gronk is uncoverable (without double coverage) over the middle.   We discovered in 2012 that with a heavy set on the field, every time the opponent put their pass protection defense on the field, the Patriots went into a power set and ran the ball right into and over the 97 pound weaklings. 

This 2012 offense, not the storied Patriots offenses of the near past, set the NFL record for most first downs in a regular season. 

So what's wrong with Gronk, Hernandez and Fells/Hoom all on the field on third and 1 when the Pats are up two touchdowns in the fourth quarter?  Everybody in the stadium knows that the Patriots prefer to run the ball, so there's nothing wrong with more beef pushing the D-line backwards.  If the opponent brings in their own beef, and BTW most teams don't have the luxury of keeping eight first stringer quality beefy defensemen on the roster, then who on defense is going to cover Hernandez and Gronk?  Two of those fat guys?

problem is it stunk against better defenses includign in playoffs

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

TE is an important role in this offense, so quality depth is important.  I think we keep four, but want to make sure it's four good ones.  I agree with others, though, that we still need wideouts.  An all TE offense suffers from a lack of diversity and versatility.  It puts less pressure on defenses if they don't have to worry too much about the deep zones and sidelines and don't need to worry as much about defending receiver speed and skills, which are different than TE speed and skills.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to palookaski's comment:

That TE, Hoomana who who (sp) is a tough guy, great blocker. I think he also fills in at FB.

Actually I am, not all that happy with his blocking.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

In response to palookaski's comment:

Actually I am, not all that happy with his blocking.

Thought he was better at run blocking than pass blocking.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

Not sure why, but they just paid him a 300K roster bonus, which means he'll at least be here through camp.

why don't you guys just go with Brady and 10 TE's this year?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

BB will be implementing the 5 TE offense this year. Look for him to draft a TE with one of the first 2 picks to make it happen!

....../sarcasm

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to AyyyBoston's comment:

BB will be implementing the 5 TE offense this year. Look for him to draft a TE with one of the first 2 picks to make it happen!

....../sarcasm

i like my suggestion better

if ur gonna do something go big!

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Tightend depth: Gronk, Ballard, Fells

Fullback: Huey

Hernandez in a position by himself

This isn't strange, Fells is a very good tightend, particularly good as a third option, this is why we were one of the best running teams in the NFL last year and can convert first downs on running plays and we'll be even better this year.  Fells isn't necessarily over paid either.  A couple really fast draft pick WR's and this offense will be potent once again.