Dean Peas Vs Matt Patricia

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Dean Peas Vs Matt Patricia

I thought this would be a good topic to tackle(no pun intended) today. While I was watching the Det/BAL contest I noticed once again Dean Peas receiving praise for his defensive playcalling and creativity and I find myself asking...Did Dean Peas ever recieve that kind of praise here?? I dont recall. He was more of an afterthought that people just assumed was another yes man that did whatever BB wanted. That would  be wrong. Dean Peas is the last guy that Ive seen have major disagreements with BB on the field in terms of style of playcalling.

Lets go back to SB 42. I know, I know...just bare with me. We all know that the game was lost when Hobbs was left in single man coverage against Buress while Peas called a zero cover blitz from about the 10 yard line. I recall throughout that game that BB and Peas were seen "discussing" the playcalling. It didnt end well obviously as Hobbs was left out to dry and the game was over. My issue with THAT playcall is we were actually getting good pressure on Eli from A.D. and really didnt need to blitz esp. not the house?! At the beginning of the game, 1st 3rd down for Eli, Dean dialed up a CB blitz from the slot by Meriweather. Jacobs snuffed him out and stoned him and Eli had a nice pocket to beat the blitz. This same blitz continued to be called all game to no avail from the same side. Meriweather never even got to sniff Eli.

So needless to say Dean Peas had coached his last game and Matty P was promoted the next year even though he didnt have the title. Now we see a lack of pressure as usual and up until last week vs the worst line in the league, we didnt see many blitzes.

So is Matty P just scared to get too agressive because he fears his job will be lost like Dean Peas when he was too agressive? Does Matty P have the ability to draw up his own gameplans or is BB still coming in on tuesday with the plan and Matty just calls the plays on Sunday? Its interesting and I wonder why BB hasnt just taken over the calling like weve seen numerous head coaches do. Wade on D in Dallas or Mike Sherman on O in G.B. I mean no body can do what you want better than YOU right? The offense should be in safe hands with McD by this time. Does BB decide personell too cuz its baffling that C.J. cant get a breather and let Buchanan get a few snaps so maybe we have a fresh C.J. in the 4th to disrupt the passing game. I know for sure this BBDB defense is not gonna cut it in postseason. Are we gonna go out swinging or lay down??  I know its a high risk reward but I dont think we can play the same way we have with his personell.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Re: Dean Peas Vs Matt Patricia

Well, I have asked this question before and it's always avoided.

It always strikes me as "odd" when I see Patricia staring out onto the field with the pencil behind his ear....while BB, the HC, is huddled with his back to the game, giving instructions to the defense....

What is up with that...really?

BB never did that to Romeo....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well, I have asked this question before and it's always avoided.

It always strikes me as "odd" when I see Patricia staring out onto the field with the pencil behind his ear....while BB, the HC, is huddled with his back to the game, giving instructions to the defense....

What is up with that...really?

BB never did that to Romeo....

[/QUOTE]

Cuz Romeo was self made, and a guy who knew defense in and out and coached a lot of games and could relate to players... not a hire within like Matty who went to school at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute...

Now I know alot of folks will counter with....BUt our D looked fine earlier in the year when healthy... but all teams incur injuries. If you went into every postseason with the great team you assembled in august, you proabably wouldnt even need to coach them after 16 weeks but thats not the case and every year we cant get off the field even with our starters so this is not a kneejerk thread. Ive always had this concern. Was just reminded again when i watched Bmore. Its a controlled chaos and at the end of the day, they get it done and get off the field and dont allow many points

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I guess what Im really asking is ,....Is BB hiding behind these yes men? if not, why doesnt he take control of the playcalling since its his baby, his plan, his foundation of players?

I see other lesser head coaches succesfully doing both. Is his offseason GM job to much for him to coach the D too? Im not talking about coaching them up on things on the sideline, but actually calling a play so we can question HIM about after the game so he CANT say "WE gotta coach it better" at the end of games.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

the Pats have run the same defense since BB came on board...regardless of who the D-cord has been....

Pees in B-more is still running Rex's defense

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

The defense was a borderline elite unit before they lost the "middle triangle", as I like to call it. How can one expect them to be an elite unit without one of the best run-stuffing assets (Wilfork), and the best all-around (run + pass) defender in Mayo? I think they might have even be alright with Kelly out there, but nope....now they have a couple castoffs, two UDFA's at DT, and they have two slow-as-molasses LB's holding down the fort, and a very raw athlete playing a position he's never played in Collins.

It's incredibly hard to blame the defensive coaching, and furthermore Belichick's assembling of the team, for that matter, when they assembled a very good team, but the key pieces got hurt.

The DT's aren't collapsing the interior of the pocket, allowing QB's plenty of time to throw. Most sacks have been coverage sacks, where Chandler Jones or somebody else wraps up the QB after 3-4 seconds or more. The secondary (the only healthy unit on the whole team) hasn't been outstanding or anything, but they're definitely helping the D-line, and not the other way around.

I think Patricia is a very good defensive play caller (and a fairly aggressive one) when all the pieces are in place. When they're not, he lacks confidence to mix it up and get creative. If you recall, they were the same vanilla defense last year until Talib came along, when they started dialing up blitzes and got a bit more creative, making things less predictable.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

the Pats have run the same defense since BB came on board...regardless of who the D-cord has been....

[/QUOTE]

Exactly so why does BB need a coordinator?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to TheGuyWithDaThing's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The defense was a borderline elite unit before they lost the "middle triangle", as I like to call it. How can one expect them to be an elite unit without one of the best run-stuffing assets (Wilfork), and the best all-around (run + pass) defender in Mayo? I think they might have even be alright with Kelly out there, but nope....now they have a couple castoffs, two UDFA's at DT, and they have two slow-as-molasses LB's holding down the fort, and a very raw athlete playing a position he's never played in Collins.

It's incredibly hard to blame the defensive coaching, and furthermore Belichick's assembling of the team, for that matter, when they assembled a very good team, but the key pieces got hurt.

The DT's aren't collapsing the interior of the pocket, allowing QB's plenty of time to throw. Most sacks have been coverage sacks, where Chandler Jones or somebody else wraps up the QB after 3-4 seconds or more. The secondary (the only healthy unit on the whole team) hasn't been outstanding or anything, but they're definitely helping the D-line, and not the other way around.

I think Patricia is a very good defensive play caller (and a fairly aggressive one) when all the pieces are in place. When they're not, he lacks confidence to mix it up and get creative. If you recall, they were the same vanilla defense last year until Talib came along, when they started dialing up blitzes and got a bit more creative, making things less predictable.

[/QUOTE]

Thats just it. ANyone can call a good game with the 2000 ravens D, but the mark of a good coordinator I thought was to still be able to play with lesser talent by drawing up creative schemes. Using the resources you DO Have and utlizing stunts and games we saw earlier. How about using your backups to give the starter a rest so we can play in the 4th? How long have we been seeing 4th quarter collapses on one side while the other teams D is pumped in the 4th and attacking Brady?

Why do you leave C.J. all game vs the best pass blocking tackle in the game instead of flipping him with Nink to maximize his strenghts as a rusher?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

its a title, not necessarily a job description.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I only know that our D was looking pretty good this year before the injuries.  I applaud the coaches for not letting oppoenents score 40 points a game on us now.  It's sad for us fans that after waiting a long time fo rthe return of a good D, we saw a glimpse of it and it got swooped away as quich as it came.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to carawaydj's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I only know that our D was looking pretty good this year before the injuries.  I applaud the coaches for not letting oppoenents score 40 points a game on us now.  It's sad for us fans that after waiting a long time fo rthe return of a good D, we saw a glimpse of it and it got swooped away as quich as it came.

[/QUOTE]

many would point out that the Mayo injury was a fluke, s**t like this happens every week in the NFL. Vince and Kelly however are 32 plus years old being played into the ground due to UDFA's as back ups who are not ready for the NFL. We see Jones and Nink also wearing down, with #3 draft choice Bequette not being able to get off the inactive list while 36 year old Carter plays snaps. We also see 33 years old Soapoga not able to get off the bench over Vellano, who has played his heart out, but has simply been terrible.

It is now said to build a playoff team, you need a franchise QB and DEPTH...yet after the front 4 on the DL, the depth has not been available...Bequette-not ready. Buchanon-not ready. Vellano-not ready. Jones-1 gap player in a 2 gap defense. Soapogo-not sure what happened to him....Armstead-seemingly always a pipe dream

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thats just it. ANyone can call a good game with the 2000 ravens D, but the mark of a good coordinator I thought was to still be able to play with lesser talent by drawing up creative schemes. Using the resources you DO Have and utlizing stunts and games we saw earlier. How about using your backups to give the starter a rest so we can play in the 4th? How long have we been seeing 4th quarter collapses on one side while the other teams D is pumped in the 4th and attacking Brady?

Why do you leave C.J. all game vs the best pass blocking tackle in the game instead of flipping him with Nink to maximize his strenghts as a rusher?

[/QUOTE]

Beyond Fletcher, are there really any legitimate backups left in the front 7? I saw Andre Carter out there for quite a few snaps the other day doing jack. I suppose they could have thrown Buchanon out there, or maybe Jake Bequette.

Bottom line is that they have one of the worst middle-of-the-front-7's in the league due to injury right now (was top 5 to start the year).

You can be a great cook, but if you're given crappy ingredients, you can only do so much.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

its a title, not necessarily a job description.

[/QUOTE]

a title with a paycheck too. So we are paying Matty just to sit on the sidelines with a pencil in his ear and to take the brunt of the crititism?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

I'd feel better if it were Matt Patricia who used to be DC for the Ravens...

What do you suppose old Peasy is surmising about Belichicks tendencies etc...  for the game coming up.  Isn't that an advantage-Ravens?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And who is the best pass blocking tackle in the game? Jake Long went to St. Louis. Unless you're referring to Joe Thomas a couple of weeks ago. But in that case, why would you slide someone over to the other side where they don't usually play? You understand that there's a good deal of technique involved, right? I can understand mixing in stunts and blitzes to maximize pass rushing capabilities (which he does do from time to time, but they don't execute).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to carawaydj's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

many would point out that the Mayo injury was a fluke, s**t like this happens every week in the NFL. Vince and Kelly however are 32 plus years old being played into the ground due to UDFA's as back ups who are not ready for the NFL. We see Jones and Nink also wearing down, with #3 draft choice Bequette not being able to get off the inactive list while 36 year old Carter plays snaps. We also see 33 years old Soapoga not able to get off the bench over Vellano, who has played his heart out, but has simply been terrible.

It is now said to build a playoff team, you need a franchise QB and DEPTH...yet after the front 4 on the DL, the depth has not been available...Bequette-not ready. Buchanon-not ready. Vellano-not ready. Jones-1 gap player in a 2 gap defense. Soapogo-not sure what happened to him....Armstead-seemingly always a pipe dream

[/QUOTE]

Thats just it ...People assume I am just doing this This year....I could actually take this same thread and apply it to last years team as well. Mayo was in the game when Ray Rice ran over him at the goal line and he was part of the D that couldnt even muster a 3 and out in the SB in 2011. BB had all his D line that year outside of Carter who got hurt. Sorry to say, this aint an injury thing, its a scheme/coaching issue or talent.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And who is the best pass blocking tackle in the game? Jake Long went to St. Louis. Unless you're referring to Joe Thomas a couple of weeks ago. But in that case, why would you slide someone over to the other side where they don't usually play? You understand that there's a good deal of technique involved, right? I can understand mixing in stunts and blitzes to maximize pass rushing capabilities (which he does do from time to time, but they don't execute).

[/QUOTE]

well thats funny you should ask. A 1st round pick... Yes I expect him to be able to move. In fact they DID move him to that side late in the game for a 3rd down play. you know what happened? C.J. went Right up the field on the Right tackle and got immediate pressure, forcing a quick throw. VS Joe Thomas I watched as he tried every move in his arsenal and was continously stoned no matter if it was speed rush, bull rush,etc. Thats a small adjustment that would have went a long way IMO. What did we have to lose?